Another XP question?

Drunkagain

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2002
OK, I have a little home network running two pc's. One with Win 98 the other I just installed XP. For the most part getting the network to work was a breeze, but I do have couple of questions.

On my machine with win 98 when you look in the network neighborhood it shows both of my pcs listed, but when I try to access the XP computer it asks for a password? I thought file and printer sharing was automatic in XP? What password is this asking for?

My other question is, why when I look in my network places, on the XP machine, do I only see folders from my 98 machine? Thanks for any help.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
On my machine with win 98 when you look in the network neighborhood it shows both of my pcs listed, but when I try to access the XP computer it asks for a password? I thought file and printer sharing was automatic in XP? What password is this asking for?
You have to log out of 98, then log in with a username and password from the XP box (if you don't remember, you had to supply XP with them when you did the install). Normally (under NT/2K/XP) you would be able to specify a username and password right when you tried to map a drive, but 9x does not allow this.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>