Change Hard disk on Latatude D600

When buying from Dell, it costs UKP190 to upgrade a Latitude D600 from a
30Gig disk to an 80 Gig disk. I can buy a 5400 rpm 80Gig IBM Notebook
drive for about half that price.

It says that the drive is removable - can I just clone the supplied 30G
drive on to an 80G drive that I buy from another supplier, and put it
all back together?

In particular, are there any physical reasons I shouldn't do this
(special rails, specially shaped fittings etc.)

--
John Appleyard
1 answer Last reply

    John Appleyard <spamtrap@polyhedron.com> wrote:
    >It says that the drive is removable - can I just clone the supplied 30G
    >drive on to an 80G drive that I buy from another supplier, and put it
    >all back together?

    Yup, works just fine!

    >In particular, are there any physical reasons I shouldn't do this
    >(special rails, specially shaped fittings etc.)

    Nope, all the bits you need are on the old drive. A couple of minutes
    with a screwdriver and you are done. In fact, the hard part is
    cloning the drive, though even that's easy with Ghost...

Dell Hard Drives Computers Product