Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upon installing Windows 7, setup cannot find my HDD.

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 25, 2013 1:56:29 PM

AMD Bulldozer FX 4100 Quad Core Processor / CPU running at 4.0Ghz
16GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
AMD / ATi HD 6450 Graphics Card With HUGE 2GB Dedicated DDR3 Graphics Memory
1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
24x DVD-RW Optical Disc Drive
MSI 760GM-P23-(FX) uATX Motherboard (Full specifications of this board can be found here)
500W Quiet Power Supply featuring large 120mm fan
High Quality VANTAGE-BLUE Desktop PC Gaming Case
Gigabit Ethernet LAN
8 X High Speed USB 2.0 Ports (6 on back plus 2 on top)
SD Memory Card Reader
8 Channel HD Audio
6 X SATA II 3GB/s Ports
1 X PCI Express X16 Slot
1 X PCI Express X1 Slot
1 X PCI Slot
2 X PS/2 Port (For Keyboard / Mouse)
1 X VGA Port
1 X DVI Port
1 x HDMI Port (With audio over HDMI)
Run 2 Monitors at the same time
Includes UK Mains Power Cable
Includes all relevant Driver Discs and Manuals.

Just copied this off the place I bought the computer.
So I bought one without OS as I had it on a disc and managed to bring over the ISO to a bootable USB.
The USB boots fine but when I go to Custom install to format and create partitions for Windows 7 there is no drives found.
I entered the drivers disc that i got with my computer and it didnt work.
I wen't into BIOS and under the boot list is USB,CD/DVD Drive,2TB Infinity.
I couldn't see the harddrive anywhere.
Is there any programs that I can download to put onto my USB to format the disc from boot?

I was in IMDE (dont know if thats what it was exactly, not PC smart) and changed it to ACHI (again don't know if that's exactly what it was called)
Still nothing.

I have been mind boggled for hours :( 

Appreciate any help on the matter.

The windows is x64 by the way.
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 2:14:00 PM

I would disable the Infinity "bios hack" that is there to allow > 2.2Tb drives on that motherboard, just go into the bios and disable it. Then check the boot order and see if the drive shows up.

Are you sure that it doesn't have a Linux installation already, what happens if you just try to boot without the Windows installer attached?

If those fail, boot using Hiren's Boot Disk and check the drive with one of the HDD testing tools.
m
l
January 25, 2013 2:17:08 PM

When I turn it on with no USB or DVD in, it tells me to insert bootable media.
Where can I find Hirens Boot Disk?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 2:22:15 PM

brandan111 said:
When I turn it on with no USB or DVD in, it tells me to insert bootable media.
Where can I find Hirens Boot Disk?
OK, then try to disable Infinity in the bios.

You can get Hiren's HERE, although the midpage link sometimes doesn't work and you need to go HERE.
m
l
January 25, 2013 2:26:20 PM

RealBeast said:
OK, then try to disable Infinity in the bios.

You can get Hiren's HERE.

I disabled it and the only 2 things showing up now are USB:multiple card and IDE:TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224BB

I have no disks to burn any of this too, is there a way I can put it on the USB and boot it via that?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 2:32:35 PM

Yes, you can make a Hiren's boot USB stick like THIS but you will also need a virtual drive emulator like THIS ONE to mount the Hiren's image to create the USB stick.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 2:34:03 PM

Do you feel/hear that the drive is spinning and getting warm after a while, i.e. does it seem to be working? If not, check the power connector to insure that it is spinning up.
m
l
January 25, 2013 2:52:43 PM

Okay I have mounted Hirens to the USB and it is booting up fine, now what should I run?
I dont understand what you mean about the spinning
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 3:02:10 PM

Open the case and feel the drive to feel a gentle hum and warmth from it running.

Look at THIS PAGE under Hard Disk Tools. I would start with CrystalDiskInfo, the manufacturer drive test program (look at your drive--probably Seagate or Western Digital), and HDD Scan.

But first, insure that the drive is actually connected and feels alive.

m
l
January 25, 2013 3:09:23 PM

I am a real amateur with this stuff, I understand what you're telling me to do with the HDD although I have no idea how to open the case up.

On boot up of the USB there is none of them applications there, just stuff like DBAN and PLoP boot manager etc. I dont see crystaldiskinfo
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 5:13:14 PM

You will need to pull out a manual for your motherboard, if you need one get it HERE.

The space may be a bit tight, but you need to check that the HDD SATA connector is attached to the drive and to the motherboard SATA controller port securely. Most likely either the power or data connector is not attached firmly -- as the HDD does not even show up in your bios.

Until you check that, hold off on trying to test the drive -- first need to insure that it is properly attached.

Everything in Hiren's is in some folders if you select the DOS option, then Hard Disk Tools is Folder 6.
m
l
January 25, 2013 5:15:34 PM

I got the BIOS to recognise the drive!
There was only 1 cable connected to the hard drive and one was loose so i googled an image of what sata cables connecting to a hdd should look like and i seen the error, the flat cable had come loose!
Wish me luck with trying to install Windows!
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 5:19:15 PM

Good deal, it sounded like it would be that.

After you install Windows you will need to install your motherboard chipset and device drivers, I would download the latest from THIS MSI SITE. Once the LAN driver is installed you can download Windows updates.
January 25, 2013 5:22:04 PM

Can I not use the provided MSI drivers and utilities disc? Or should I download them from the site?

And thank you sir, as it was you who made me look inside the case in the first place and quite frankly the only person to come to my aid in this time of horror, Hat's off!
m
l
January 25, 2013 5:22:25 PM

Best answer selected by brandan111.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 5:31:35 PM

brandan111 said:
Can I not use the provided MSI drivers and utilities disc? Or should I download them from the site?

And thank you sir, as it was you who made me look inside the case in the first place and quite frankly the only person to come to my aid in this time of horror, Hat's off!
Glad to help, the first thousand builds are the hardest. :)  I would download the latest drivers, those on the CD may be earlier versions. And make sure to get the 64 bit Windows 7 drivers.
m
l
!