Sign in with
Your question

My Athlon is C!! Why no 133 FSB?

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2001 1:09:30 PM

Ok,

Now I finally got around to taking off the heatsink and yes it is a 'C' Athlon like I ordered. But it still doesn't boot up at 133 FSB x 9 = 1200 Mhz. I'm looking for ideas...

Athlon 1200c 256Mb
ABIT KT7A133
Creative Geforce2 GTS
Win2000

More about : athlon 133 fsb

July 14, 2001 1:36:28 PM

What memory do you have?

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2001 2:04:33 PM

i have to admit im curious about the few posts we've seen in the last few weeks about unstable performance of 'c' athlons running at 133 fsb. I have been doing a little research on the subject, and the AMD technical docs cover the athlon 'b' up to 1000 mhz, then skip right over to the athlon 'c' at 1400 mhz. i didnt notice this last time i was there reading about the specs for another post like yours, but this is kind of strange.....

not to start some kind of conspiracy thinking here, but these chips should NOT be having these problems......i would be very interested in working with some guys here to look into this in depth if anybody is interested. send me a PM and we can start the hunt.

having said that, my instincts tell me that this boot up problem could be the result of other setting in your BIOS that are not set properly for 133 fsb.....could this be it? new BIOS maybe? did you try a new PSU yet? What exactly are your BIOS settings right now for the CPU? memory? Is your voltage set correctly? It should be 1.7 or 1.75......if you havent put the HSF unit back on, or if you wrote down the OPN (ordering part numbers) from your athlon, please post then in full...

ignore everything i say
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2001 2:17:48 PM

Ok,

Heres some more specs for ya, sorry about being to short.

Processor details on chip:
AMD Athlon
A1200AMS3C
AXIA 0121 RPOW
Y6381350162
O O 1999 AMD

My memory is Micron SDRAM 133Mhz

I did install a new 350W power supply (SE brand?)

I'm pretty sure the voltage is 1.75
I really can't remember what my BIOS settings are except that the processor is set at 1200 @ 100 FSB and works. (Multiplier Lock is off on my chip I guess...) I tried 1200 @ 133 FSB and get a black screen. I must have something set wrong in the BIOS, I don't know what else it could be! I'm going to have to get some heat sink grease though before I fire it back up. Thanks for the help so far.

Athlon 1200c 256Mb
ABIT KT7A133
Creative Geforce2 GTS
Win2000
July 14, 2001 2:31:49 PM

Possibly a bios problem as antivirus mentioned, I know that on the kt7a board, older bioses dont support 1400 at 100 fsb, but had to be set to (i THINK) 500 x 100 or something, now this isnt the case here but it has me thinking also, about the bios, which bios revision do you have? last time I looked I think zt was the latest, it may be worth trying a different bios, unfortunatly Im at work now so cant get to many sites to search for you, but you MAY find some info on www.viahardware.com, I'd also avoid using any aggressive settings in the bios too until you get up and running properly (i.e. cas 3 , cpu enhance disabled). I have the same board, if you want to donate your new cpu I'll gladly test it!!
If you manage to sort it, please post the solution.

CALV

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
July 14, 2001 2:32:37 PM

dont look at me...
i can run my athlon 1200C at a fsb anything from 100-115 then to 133-154.
the gap between 115 & 133 is due to the PCI divider set to 1/3 and it maxing out my pci cards.
absolutely rock stable at 150.

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2001 2:37:33 PM

Hmm,

Since I bought a board that should support 133 Mhz FSB, I hope that the BIOS would handle that, but who knows. Once its fired up I'll try to disable some of the aggresive settings. I did change some, I forget exactly which at the moment. Thanks, will update ya'll...

Athlon 1200c 256Mb
ABIT KT7A133
Creative Geforce2 GTS
Win2000
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2001 2:59:34 PM

you might want to set the BIOS back to default for trouble shooting purposes and then check the basics: your voltage should be 1.75 (i checked to be sure), etc.

ignore everything i say
July 14, 2001 3:21:44 PM

I'd be thinking board problem now. If you have eliminated everything else.... If the board has the latest bios and good memory, correct settings and a 133FSB chip - it should run 133FSB. I read a number of people had issues with the KT7A boards and I _think_ AMD removed them from the recommended mobo list....

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2001 5:55:26 PM

OK!!!

Its back up and running at 133 FSB! I changed the BIOS to default settings and it booted right up at 1200/133. So I'll go back and check things one at a time and try them out. I guess I'm still kinda new to this, but I'm learning. Thanks alot for all the help guys. Oh ya, 3DMark2001 boosted from 3048 to 3249 with FSB 100 -->133 Mhz. Nice!

Athlon 1200c 256Mb
ABIT KT7A133
Creative Geforce2 GTS
Win2000
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2001 9:58:45 PM

I would recommend getting the latest BIOS from ABIT's site if you haven't done so.

KT7ZT BIOS fixes the Athlon 1.3G(100) wrongfully being recognized as 104x12.5 and is also implemented in the latest BIOS KT73C. If your board is the RAID model you will need to rebuild your RAID array if you upgrade to BIOS KT73C.

Also once you have successfully flashed the BIOS you should power off your system and clear the CMOS using the jumpers on the board. Leave it for a few seconds and then put it back as you had it before for normal operation. When you start up your machine again, go into the BIOS and load setup defaults. Save the changes and exit. After that you can go back in and tweak it to how you want it. That is supposed to be the correct way of doing it. Read the text file that comes with the BIOS and it tells you how you should flash the BIOS as well.
!