P4 Computer Configuation

G

Hello Everyone,

Ok, here is the skinny. I have this new machine coming soon, about a week or so. It has the following specs:

P4 @ 1400
128 megs of that funky new P4 memory
30 gigabyte hardrive ATA 100/7200 RPM's
Ati Radeon 64 DDR Video Card
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 Gamer
Intel 2100 DSL Modem
CDR
DVD
ect ...

Ok ... Now my qustion:

I am picking this custom build up with just a formated disk, I will then install win 98 and am wondering what is the best way to configure the machine once i install windows. I ask this because now I have a Thunderbird machine which you need to install the 4 in 1 drivers then update the rest of the machine for proper preformance and am wondering if I need to do the same with the new P4 machine.

Is there any "patches" I should install?
What should I install first (vid card, dsl, sound card ect ...) after I install windows?

Thanks for the help ;-)

------------------
HM-MaXimus
"What we do in life echoes in eternity".

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
128megs? *winces*
p4 1.4? *wince again*

1. more ram
2. just the latest bios for that board
3. win98
4. any patches that may apply to the mobo or 98
5. drivers for any controlers you have
6. latest directx
7. detonators
8. sound
9. other drivers such as cd-rom, dvd, burner
10. modem

thats what i did for my win2k/athlon 1350 combo... basically... plus or minus a few win2k specific things.

good luck with that P4. let us know how it goes with real life apps.

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why are you are having fits when someone buys a P4? is it your money?

a properly configured P4 is a beast, it will run "real life apps" on par or faster than a 1.4 tbird.

also, ppl are finding that the moronic argument: "Amd is cheaper" to be just that, moronic.

too bad for Amd, all the RMA's must be killing that company.

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
lhgpoobaa was being helpful while you AMDMeltDown are not. Why do you have fits with AMD owners? Hypocrite.

MaXimus65 sounds like a good system, more ram may help out, see if you can get 256 vice the 128mb. I do believe RDRAM has to come in two's like the old EDO ram. I may be mistaken there. AMDMeltDown how about correcting me there if I am wrong.

I recommend you upgrade to Win98se, the Radeon 64 drivers should be installed virtually last on your installation to add to lhgpoobaa fine list. Yes let us know how it works out and runs.

G

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help.

Ok, this is what i know. The memory does come in two versions a 600 and a 800. Not sure what I am getting, prob the 600 since I do not know. I mostly play quake, surf the web and do email on my computer. I have seen many bench mark tests for quake and the preformance gained with more memory past 128 megs is little until you get past 512 megs. Which is not happening due to costs.

I will install my vid card last and update the drivers and such.

Whats the hype with amd vrs intel....forget about it. LOL.

Sure we all know the AMD chip will beat out the newer intel with everyday apps ...but I need the speed for qauke, not too open up word a bit faster.

Anyway. Thanks for the tips ;-)

I will let ya guys know how it runs ;-)

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Get the 800 speed RDram, it makes a significant difference on the P4, at least by what Tom says. OK everything else sounds good and 128mb maybe is enough for you. Have fun.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
please. DO NOT go for the 600 RDRAM. your only hurting yourself.
sure it will be cheaper but your performance will significantly suffer.

and i still strongly reccomend your get 256mb.
it DOES help when your playing games or have lots of applications open.

i have 512mb PC150 sdram, and i still max it out when messing around with editing wav files.
i have no idea what your finances are like, but i hope you can afford 2x128mb pc800 rdram :)

P.S. which version of quake are u talking about?

yeah the trolls are amusing. i profess my liking for AMD cauz of its price/performance ratio FOR WHAT I DO.
i.e. alot of floating point scientific stuff and UT. always UT :)
UT happens to be one of the few games that ISNT graphics card limited at high res.
hope you have fun with your new beastie :)

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I also suggest 256 ram.If you want the max power from your cpu use windows Pro 2000.Win 98 is better on Atlhon not on P4.For configuration
You would probaly go for ASUS P4T for your mothersboard so go at asus.com.For bios and others driver.Last direct X version 8.Go at ATI web site for your graphic card driver.For each part that you buy go at there web site for driver and update.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just Installed windows 98 on my system doing a clean install. Hay I was board.
My system was a amd athlon 700 with 768 megs (Dumb Tech Falt) pc133
Installed the windows then the Sound card.
Then the video card. Plus my Tv card. (4into1)
Then My modem 56k/cable. So I can get all the updates. Oh I forgot My Copymachine. Took me about 3 Hours.

hay it was that or restore from Cds which would take 7 Hours.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Remove PCI cards and leave video card.
Load the OS
Load the INF drivers on CD that came with mobo next
Load drivers for video card
Load Direct X www.microsoft.com/directx
Install PCI cards and load drivers
You can install PCI from start, but you will get "add new hardware" dialog boxes before you install INF drivers. I suggest waiting till after you get INF drivers loaded before you install additional PCI cards.