I need an hdmi to hdmi 50 foot cable to tack onto a white wall

Tamara Kossoff

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I want to connect my XPS DELL laptop to a HDTV for transfer from one to another component and back and was told I need an hdmi to hdmi cable but the distance around door frames is just under 50 feet and the black cables that come in that length will be a real eyesore.

The Belkin HDMI to HDMI sold by DELL as a peripheral only comes in much shorter lengths. I could use a connector (female ends) and use two 25 foot lengths but will I lose signal clarity?

What should I use to keep the signal strong and not have the signals get mixed up in the long cord?

Is it possible to get a cable in white so it isn't so visible on the walls?
Thanks.

Tam

Solution
why wouldnt you move the laptop closer to the hdtv since the benefit of laptops is portability? this would save on expense and eliminate your need to tack a cable to the wall. if this is for presentation purposes, you could always do the same and run the system via a wireless keyboard/mouse/controller.

50ft is the maximum length suggested before a signal booster is required, adding in unnecessesary connections would most likely drop the signal more so then a straight on connection. that being said, if you are required to keep the laptop 50ft away a permanent (and far more aesthetic) arrangement would be:
[laptop]>--short cable --<[wall plate]>-- cable through wall --<[wall plate]>-- short cable --<[hdtv]
because of the two added connections if...
why wouldnt you move the laptop closer to the hdtv since the benefit of laptops is portability? this would save on expense and eliminate your need to tack a cable to the wall. if this is for presentation purposes, you could always do the same and run the system via a wireless keyboard/mouse/controller.

50ft is the maximum length suggested before a signal booster is required, adding in unnecessesary connections would most likely drop the signal more so then a straight on connection. that being said, if you are required to keep the laptop 50ft away a permanent (and far more aesthetic) arrangement would be:
[laptop]>--short cable --<[wall plate]>-- cable through wall --<[wall plate]>-- short cable --<[hdtv]
because of the two added connections if the signal doesn't look perfect a signal booster might be required. however, the only cables in view will be short (which come in a variety of colors) so it won't look as unsightly.

Solution

Tamara Kossoff

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
You are thinking "new building" while this one is almost 100 years old and built like a fortress with concrete walls, very few outlets and every wall with at least one doorway and/or windows to have wire track around. Otherwise, I would have it across the floor of the room from desk to TV on a chest. No place for laptop nearer the TV, especially since there are "walk paths" between TV and desk.

I got the two 25' cables and the connector. How is the cable attached to the wall? I realize there is tube-box to put the cable/cord inside that had double sided tape but 50' of it is expensive, even more than the cost of the cables.

Many thanks for your helpful advice.

T.

i just remembered about a product which you can paint over:
http://www.taperwire.com/

to answer your question about hanging, you have a few options:

-run some small conduit (which you could paint) which secures to the wall with conduit straps. a concrete anchor may be needed.
-tape
-cable clamps screwed into the wall every so many feet if concrete you will have to predrill a hole and possibly put in an anchor