SATAP 3.4.5, Beachbum

Last response: in Video Games
August 24, 2005 5:00:21 PM

To commemorate the waning days of summer (here in the northern
hemisphere), is a Stupid Ascension Trick, number 3.4.5: Only wore
beach-wear (Hawaiian shirt and lenses).

However, now that I look at the actual wording from the list of
stupid tricks, I realize that I only did an easy version of it. I
had thought that it implied using only that armor for the ascension,
and so limited myself to not wearing anything other than the shirt
after the Castle. I did wear some other armor while doing the earlier
levels. Sigh. Maybe I'll have to do this one again sometime, to the
more
strict standard.

Anyway, I chose a Tourist, for the starting Hawaiian shirt. I did not
wear any armor other than my starting shirt through all of Gehennom, to

get the Amulet, and all the way up through the Planes and to the final
offering.

Some end snippets:
The voice of The Lady booms: "Congratulations, mortal!"--More--

+-------+
¦·······¦
----+ ¦·······¦
·a·¦ ¦···_···¦
A+-------+·[++ + ¦·······¦
¦·······¦$··++ ++ ¦ ¦·······¦ ¦
a ¦··a@w··¦$···+-+ ¦· +---¦---+ ·¦
D ¦···@a·a)%%··T¦/% ¦·····$·······¦
@¦D·awa··¦DA··+-+% ) +-+···[·····+-+
¦·······¦···++ ++ %% % ++ +----%----+
+-------+·a++ +---)---+ `%% ++
A a ···¦ ¦ %%+------+ [%% +
----+ ¦ [% ¦ ` %
+-----+ / ++ %( % +
¦ ++%%%" % +
+-+ +---%---
¦ %%/*) *
+-----------
Beachbum the Traveler St:18/** Dx:18 Co:18 In:18 Wi:18 Ch:18
Neutral
Astral Plane $:0 HP:99(272) Pw:80(98) AC:-10 Exp:15 T:88786

Amulets
K - an uncursed amulet of reflection named Sokoban (being worn)
Weapons
z - the blessed fireproof +7 Staff of Aesculapius (weapon in hands)
N - the blessed rustproof +0 Magicbane
Armor
u - an uncursed thoroughly burnt +4 Hawaiian shirt (being worn)
Comestibles
f - 4 uncursed bottles of suntan lotion

OK, I thought it would be cute to have a "Beachbum" character go out
with an item "bottle of suntan lotion", so, one of my first actions
was to change my fruit name to "bottle of suntan lotion". When I picked
up my second one, I expected to see "2 bottle of suntan lotion". I
boggled a bit and had to double-check when I saw "2 bottles of suntan
lotion". Sure enough, bottle, box, and bunch all create proper plurals
when used in the name of the fruit. I haven't looked at the source to
see just how many of these special cases are checked for, but, it is
true TDTTO(N)E (The Development Team Thought Of Nearly Everything).

T - 2 uncursed lizard corpses
Z - an uncursed K-ration
Spellbooks
V - the uncursed Book of the Dead
Rings
m - an uncursed ring of slow digestion (on left hand)
q - an uncursed ring of free action
t - an uncursed +4 ring of protection (on right hand)
A - an uncursed ring of conflict
O - an uncursed ring of levitation
Wands
j - a wand of death (1:7)
l - a wand of speed monster (1:6)
n - a wand of death (0:2)
o - a wand of death (0:2)
v - a wand of cold (1:5)
y - a wand of wishing (1:1)
B - a wand of lightning (0:3)
C - a wand of make invisible (0:3)
D - a wand of probing (1:3)
F - a wand of lightning (0:3)
G - a wand of death (4:1)
H - a wand of make invisible (0:3)
P - a wand of polymorph (1:4)
Q - a wand of digging (0:5)
U - a wand of digging (0:1)
W - a wand of polymorph (0:6)
X - a wand of secret door detection (0:8)
Tools
a - a rustproof +0 pick-axe (alternate weapon; not wielded)
b - a blessed bag of holding
c - a +0 unicorn horn
e - an uncursed rusty skeleton key
g - a magic marker (0:32)
h - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
p - an uncursed skeleton key
s - an uncursed very rusty stethoscope
w - an uncursed magic whistle
x - the blessed Eyes of the Overworld (being worn)
(Because if you are going to be wearing lenses, they might as well be
the coolest lenses in the game. OK, the Magic Resistance and Astral
Vision are nice also.)

E - an uncursed towel
J - the Bell of Opening (0:1)
L - the uncursed Candelabrum of Invocation (no candles attached)
M - the blessed Platinum Yendorian Express Card
Y - an uncursed pair of lenses
Gems
r - a blessed luckstone
(3 of 3)

Contents of blessed bag of holding
an expensive camera (0:54)

Final Attributes:

You were piously aligned.
You were fire resistant.
You were cold resistant.
You were sleep resistant.
You were disintegration-resistant.
You were shock resistant.
You were poison resistant.
You were level-drain resistant.
You were magic-protected.
You were blinded.
You saw invisible.
You were telepathic.
You had automatic searching.
You were invisible to others.
You had slower digestion.
You regenerated.
You were protected.
You were fast.
You had reflection.
You were very lucky.
You had extra luck.
Good luck did not time out for you.
You survived.

Vanquished creatures:

Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (12 times)
(I had a string of, I believe, four Double Troubles before I finally
got
the last one whacked down.)

3404 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species:

liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches

4 species genocided.
--More--

Voluntary challenges:

You genocided 4 types of monsters.
You used 5 wishes.

Aloha beachbum the Demigod...

You and the giant ant and the killer bee and the giant ant and the fire
ant
went to your reward with 3530955 points,
Vorpal Blade (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
Mjollnir (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
The Eyes of the Overworld (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
The Staff of Aesculapius (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Platinum Yendorian Express Card (worth 7000 zorkmids and 17500
points)
Magicbane (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
3 amulets of reflection (worth 450 zorkmids),
2 cheap plastic imitations of the Amulet of Yendor (worth 0

zorkmids),
1 amulet of life saving (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 88786 moves.
You were level 15 with a maximum of 272 hit points when you ascended.

BeachBum notes

I didn't record notes from the start, but I know that I successfully
ran the protection racket, getting down to 1 AC via the Minetown
priest. After that, I ran up a bunch of experience levels quickly,
explored the dungeons, Sokoban, the rest of the Mines, the Quest,
and the Fort. The gold from the Fort allowed me to donate to the
priest at my main base in a co-aligned temple on Dlvl 14 and get to
-2 AC. (With only a shirt for the ascension, I want to pile on all
the divine protection I can easily get.)

T49455 I get the Castle Wand. I did the Quest first and so have the
PYEC.
T49457 First Castle Wand wish: Eyes of the Overworld
T49459 Second Castle Wand wish: Blessed, Fixed, +3 Staff of
Aesculapius (if you are not holding to "wish for no artifacts"
conduct, lets go all the way.

T50544 Consolidation and preparation at my main stash at a co-aligned
temple on Dlvl 14 uses up my scrolls of Enchant Weapon and Enchant
Armor, but does leave me with a +5 Hawiian Shirt and the +7 Staff.
With my -2 naked AC I am at -7 AC total. Plus, I have all the normal
resistances, reflection, two sources of magic resistance and hungerless
regeneration. Is this enough to tackle the rest of the game? I would
like some additional safety for my ascension attempt, so I am going to
do some more preparation...

T51103 While sacrificing to maximize luck I get Magicbane as a gift.
OK, it's a nice artifact to have.
T51361 The Castle wand was empty, so I charged it with the PYEC.
T51362 Third Castle Wand wish: uncursed magic marker
T51363 Fourth Castle Wand wish: uncursed magic marker
T51367 Some polypiling turned up a scroll of genocide. I blessed it
and eliminated L's.
T54214 I toured the dungeon back to Minetown to pick up candles and
all the elven armor I could find. I also played with poly traps in
the Big room and got a pet Minotaur and Marilith. We'll see if they
last.
T54275 I used magic markers to make enchant armor scrolls and generated

a +7 and +6 elven helms and a +6 elven shield, lets see if I can get
one of them to poly into a Hawaiian shirt...
T55343 Well, no. I also created a +7 elven mithiril and zapped it and
the others through a number of different types of armor, but no shirts.

I guess I'll try exploring down as I am.
T55462 I do some alchemy to make 15 blessed potions of full healing
and run my HP from 147 to 267.
T57050 I invade the Valley with my Marilith, Ice Troll and Minotaur.
T79800 Well, I explored down to the vibrating square, then back all
the way to the top (I was incautious and lost some memory to a Mind
Flayer). I stayed at my stash for a while getting organized for the
ascension run.
Now, I feel that I am ready to start.

--
-Harold Hill

More about : satap beachbum

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 7:34:18 PM

hhill@thinksystem.net wrote:
> To commemorate the waning days of summer (here in the northern
> hemisphere), is a Stupid Ascension Trick, number 3.4.5: Only wore
> beach-wear (Hawaiian shirt and lenses).

All I can say is wow, even if you did cheat slightly in the early
game. I am highly annoyed at you people who seem to be able to ascend
at will! How many attempts did you have to make before you succeeded
with this one?

> Sure enough, bottle, box, and bunch all create proper plurals
> when used in the name of the fruit. I haven't looked at the source to
> see just how many of these special cases are checked for, but, it is
> true TDTTO(N)E (The Development Team Thought Of Nearly Everything).

Very clever, huh? See objnam.c, line 1257 (or search for "Plural
routine"). It's quite impressive - it looks like even "chicken a la
king" should be properly pluralized to "chickens a la king". Matzoh is
specially handled, as is mouse, etc.

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner wrote:
> hhill@thinksystem.net wrote:
> > To commemorate the waning days of summer (here in the northern
> > hemisphere), is a Stupid Ascension Trick, number 3.4.5: Only wore
> > beach-wear (Hawaiian shirt and lenses).
>
> All I can say is wow, even if you did cheat slightly in the early
> game. I am highly annoyed at you people who seem to be able to ascend
> at will! How many attempts did you have to make before you succeeded
> with this one?

Hmm... the logfile seems to have 16 Beachbums in it. So, 15 died and 1
I got to ascend. I lost most of them early in the game while trying to
run the protection racket. Tourists are not quite as well suited to it
as Healers are. I do recall that the one I finally got to ascend
started with 1 blessed potion of extra healing. I quaffed that right at
the begining. The boost from 10 HP to 15 HP seems to help me quite a
bit when trying to do the protection racket.

--
-Harold Hill
Anonymous

hhill@thinksystem.net wrote:
> Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner wrote:
>
>>hhill@thinksystem.net wrote:
>>
>>>To commemorate the waning days of summer (here in the northern
>>>hemisphere), is a Stupid Ascension Trick, number 3.4.5: Only wore
>>>beach-wear (Hawaiian shirt and lenses).
>>
>> All I can say is wow, even if you did cheat slightly in the early
>>game. I am highly annoyed at you people who seem to be able to ascend
>>at will! How many attempts did you have to make before you succeeded
>>with this one?
>>

> Hmm... the logfile seems to have 16 Beachbums in it. So, 15 died and 1
> I got to ascend. I lost most of them early in the game while trying to
> run the protection racket. Tourists are not quite as well suited to it
> as Healers are. I do recall that the one I finally got to ascend
> started with 1 blessed potion of extra healing. I quaffed that right at
> the begining. The boost from 10 HP to 15 HP seems to help me quite a
> bit when trying to do the protection racket.
>

> --
> -Harold Hill

Yeech. I wish I could just ascend with a Val without trying to do all
sorts of hard tricks.

--
3.4.3 59947 Val Hum Fem Law Whtrose,killed by a fall onto poison spikes
August 30, 2005 9:05:16 AM

Thats exactly the same number of times it took me just to ascend a
normal tourist :(
!