Tbird 1200 on ASUS A7A won't post

SH0DAN

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
Greetings all!
I have been trying to get my new system up and running all weekend to no avail :( The specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 1200 AXIA
Asus A7A266 mobo
256 mb Crucial PC2400 DDR
ASUS Geforce 3 Deluxe
IBM Deskstar 75GXP
Enermax 350 watt power source

Ok, once I got the components installed and hit the power button, the system fans spun for like 1 second then died. Originally, I thought it may be a power source issue so I went out and bought an AMD approved Enermax 350 watt ps. Same problem... Now after reviewing many threads relating to the A7A266, I believe I have one hope left. An earlier post states that a motherboard may short out if there are spacers located under the motherboard in which no screwholes exist. Since I am using my original case, I believe I may have some spacers from my previous mobo which do not conform to the A7A266 installation holes. Does this sound like it may be the problem? Other than this I have no explanation as I believe I have tried everything:

New powersource
Removed all components except for mobo, cpu & ram
Reset the bios
Reseated cpu, ram and heatsink/fan

Any input is greatly appreciated! By the way, would the extra spacers damage the mobo, cpu or ram or do they short out the mobo with no damage - if this is possible?

Thanks in advance!

SHODAN

G

there should two plugs on the board to plug the heat sink, try unplugging your heat sink and plug it into the plug directly next to the one you currently have it plugged into.

let me know if that works.

kusek

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
check the m/b book and CPU fan. My Asus K7V 133 says 350 mA (~4.2 watts)is the max for using on board power connections. My Delta fan said 0.48 amps (~5.75 watts0 so I bought an adapter to connect the CPU fan directly to the P/S.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IT is very common for novices, and occasionally even experienced asemblers, to replace a board and miss one of those misplaced spacers. But the shorted circuite most often is low voltage and does not usually damage the board, instead simply preventing startup.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine