Just about had a stroke...

Get to level 4 in Sokoban, when I'm looking over the boulders, and I see:
THERE'S AN EXTRA ONE.

Looking at http://www.steelypips.org/nethack/soko-331.html I was on 4A, and
there was an incongrous boulder located at 6,10, blocking the way down to
the third and fourth rows.

I was like...OMG, I am so completely boned, but maybe there is a way to
salvage this. I'll admit it, I save-scummed to see if I could try a couple
of different methods of beating it, then I went and did the only thing I
could do, and pushed the anomolous boulder south one...

The massive hammer hits! Lightning strikes the giant mimic! (go-go unicorn
sacs that give mjolnir, and cheapo 75 gold gauntlets of power in a nearby
shop)

Needless to say, I was more than a bit relieved.

Then of course, there was a second boulder mimic in the next "door" to the
4th row...BUT YOU WON'T FOOL ME THAT WAY AGAIN!

Damn game.

I have to wonder if a BoH is worth this kind of blood pressure elevation...

I always do the same thing...Even knowing there are mimics, I usually
forget, and try and solve the puzzle in my head using the visible
boulders. Sokoban is not too hard, so I hate using the spoilers to
solve it. But, those extra 'boulders' always confound me. A couple of
times, I have counted on using them to fill holes, and moved other
boulders into corners, only to find out they weren't boulders, and
ended up with unfilled holes. Grrr....

Now, whenever I enter a Sokoban level, I try to 'push' every boulder
diagonally I can get to before I start. This usually reveals one of the
mmics. 'Course, you can't get to all of them, but, hey :)

Matt Frisch wrote:

> Damn game.

:)

> I have to wonder if a BoH is worth this kind of blood pressure
> elevation...

Just to prevent further heart damage: on the top Sokoban level, there
are *always* two mimics posing as boulders.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

In article <1124979082.382338.19310@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Brigand
says...
> Now, whenever I enter a Sokoban level, I try to 'push' every boulder
> diagonally I can get to before I start. This usually reveals one of the
> mmics. 'Course, you can't get to all of them, but, hey :)

Telepathy reveals them. I always search next to suspicious boulders, which
(almost?) always works.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 16:21:15 +0000, Andrew Kerr wrote:

> Telepathy reveals them. I always search next to suspicious boulders, which
> (almost?) always works.

Yeah, that should work. The other thing is that real boulders will be
visible the moment you enter the level, but mimics posing as boulders will
appear only when they are in line-of-sight. So if you step around a corner
and a new boulder pops up, it's an M.
If you're not sure and you don't have telepathy, you can also use the /
command to examine the boulders one-by-one. I do this in shops early in
the game when M's are most dangerous, and mimics can usually be spotted
like this, and combat avoided. Instead of "a scroll" or whatever, you
might see "A mimic or other strange object".. Mimics aren't perfect at
hiding and close scrutiny can find them out. Like sometimes they use [ in
an armor shop instead of ], getting it backwards. I would imagine they
miss things, like pretending to be a chest and forgetting the hinges or
whatever and that is why you can tell if you look closely.

--
- Mantar --- Drop YourPantiesSirWilliam to email me.

Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:

> If you're not sure and you don't have telepathy, you can also use
> the / command to examine the boulders one-by-one. I do this in shops
> early in the game when M's are most dangerous, and mimics can usually
> be spotted like this, and combat avoided. Instead of "a scroll" or
> whatever, you might see "A mimic or other strange object".. Mimics
> aren't perfect at hiding and close scrutiny can find them out. Like
> sometimes they use [ in an armor shop instead of ], getting it
> backwards. I would imagine they miss things, like pretending to be a
> chest and forgetting the hinges or whatever and that is why you can
> tell if you look closely.

This does not work. When a mimic poses as a boulder, it looks like a
boulder, and the / command will tell you it's a boulder.

The "mimic or a strange object" will only be shown for the ] character.
It's always a mimic, by the way, never a strange object. You're
confusing ] and [, by the way. The [ is a suit of armour.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:01:01 +0200, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>> the / command to examine the boulders one-by-one. I do this in shops

> This does not work. When a mimic poses as a boulder, it looks like a
> boulder, and the / command will tell you it's a boulder.
>
> The "mimic or a strange object" will only be shown for the ] character.

Really? I could swear I've found mimics that weren't "]" before. I know
that it's failed once, too, but I haven't accidentally stepped into a
mimic in ages.
Well, maybe I'm mistaken.

>> you might see "A mimic or other strange object"
> It's always a mimic, by the way, never a strange object.

Well, obviously. But that's the message, so I quoted it that way.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:
>
> > you can also use
> > the / command to examine the boulders one-by-one. I do this in shops
> > early in the game when M's are most dangerous, and mimics can usually
> > be spotted like this, and combat avoided. Instead of "a scroll" or
> > whatever, you might see "A mimic or other strange object".

> This does not work. When a mimic poses as a boulder, it looks like a
> boulder, and the / command will tell you it's a boulder.

IIRC, this worked in a previous version, but was bugfixed.

> > sometimes they use [ in an armor shop instead of ], getting it
> > backwards.

> The "mimic or a strange object" will only be shown for the ] character.
> It's always a mimic, by the way, never a strange object. You're
> confusing ] and [, by the way. The [ is a suit of armour.

I confuse those two also; that's why I remapped "illegal-object" to ¿.
(the upside-down question mark, if it doesn't appear properly)

--
"Ruleless 'law' will be a political weapon and control of the
judiciary will therefore be a political prize. 'Democracy' will

Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:01:01 +0200, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>> The "mimic or a strange object" will only be shown for the ]
>> character.

> Really? I could swear I've found mimics that weren't "]" before.
> Well, maybe I'm mistaken.

I never said that mimics always appeared as ]-characters.
I said that the "moaso" description will only be shown for ]-characters.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

Rast wrote:

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
>>Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:
>>
>>>you can also use
>>>the / command to examine the boulders one-by-one. I do this in shops
>>>early in the game when M's are most dangerous, and mimics can usually
>>>be spotted like this, and combat avoided. Instead of "a scroll" or
>>>whatever, you might see "A mimic or other strange object".
>
>>This does not work. When a mimic poses as a boulder, it looks like a
>>boulder, and the / command will tell you it's a boulder.
>
> IIRC, this worked in a previous version, but was bugfixed.
>
>>>sometimes they use [ in an armor shop instead of ], getting it
>>>backwards.
>
>>The "mimic or a strange object" will only be shown for the ] character.
>>It's always a mimic, by the way, never a strange object. You're
>>confusing ] and [, by the way. The [ is a suit of armour.
>
> I confuse those two also; that's why I remapped "illegal-object" to ¿.
> (the upside-down question mark, if it doesn't appear properly)

My memory trick is as follows:

Weapons go to right hand tools to the left and armor ain't weapon.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:02:37 +0200, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa wrote:

>> Really? I could swear I've found mimics that weren't "]" before. Well,
>> maybe I'm mistaken.
>
> I never said that mimics always appeared as ]-characters. I said that
> the "moaso" description will only be shown for ]-characters.

You misunderstood -- I meant: "I could swear I've found mimics that
weren't ']' by using the / key before." But as I said, maybe I'm mistaken.

--
- Mantar --- Drop YourPantiesSirWilliam to email me.