So, I finally get a halfway-decent wizard going. I have a
co-aligned altar (on DL1, unfortunately, which means a lot of schlepping
stuff around, but better than nothing). I've found a couple bones
levels and have a decent collection of spells, scrolls, potions, etc - I
should be able to handle most situations. I have a +4 quarterstaff (no
decent daggers had shown up yet) and a pet large cat and pet winter wolf
which are serving me well. I'm ready to start taking on the Mines. Two
levels in, barely off the stairs, a gnomish wizard throws a potion of
sleep at me. OK, no big deal, I figure; it's just a gnomish wizard, and
my pets will make short work of him, and even if they don't, he can't do
much to me. He steps up to me, reads a scroll of create monster, and
generates a centaur, which promptly kicks me to death in my sleep.

What especially irks me is that I'd only just shortly before had to
spoil my attempted vegan conduct (I'd prayed at the altar too recently,
was fainting and that jerk Thoth still wouldn't feed me), and if I
hadn't bothered trying from the beginning, I might have had sleep
resistance by then. I hate this game.

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

Sounds more like a YAAD to me; can't really make stupid mistakes while
you're already asleep, eh. This is just the type of YASD that makes it
seem pointless to play cautiously.. it sounded like you were adequately
prepared for the mines, and if you had been sleep resistant it would
have been a potion of paralysis that gnome wizard threw, unless of
course you got free action, in which case.. well, I'm sure there are
scenarios.