YASD sigh

So much for Zubin the Promising Young Wizard.

I should have known things were going to end badly when I overblessed my
Cloak of MR and it evaporated. I was moving slowly, minding my own business
on Dlvl 4, just killing things for sacrifice in hopes of Magicbane. Very
deliberately did I move in this game, knowing how thin a margin of error
this Wizard would have with his AC of 5.

Then, rounding a corner, for no real reason, I hit 6 and then quickly 9 to
turn. And between that 6 and that fateful 9, and too quickly to stop my
plunging ring finger, that lovely little 'e'.

You are frozen by the floating eye's gaze.
Your large cat is frozen by the floating eye's gaze.
The Mordor orc hits! The Mordor orc hits! The...
DYWYPI?

Yes, it's a sad tale, one told and retold down through the generations. No
doubt it will sound familiar to some of you. *cough* But a pack full of
blessed identified spellbooks, potions, holy water, magic markers and
scrolls of charging, with a co-aligned altar on Dlvl 4 and a bookstore on
Dlvl 3, still won't save you from PUSHING THE DAMN KEYS TOO FAST.

Cheers,
Ben

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Ben Kimball wrote:
>
> > Very deliberately did I move in this game, knowing how thin
> > a margin of error this Wizard would have with his AC of 5.
>
> > Then, rounding a corner, for no real reason, I hit 6 and then quickly
> > 9 to turn. And between that 6 and that fateful 9, and too quickly to
> > stop my plunging ring finger, that lovely little 'e'.
> >
> > Yes, it's a sad tale, one told and retold down through the
> > generations. No doubt it will sound familiar to some of you. *cough*
>
> All, probably, except for those that have only been around for a week or
> less.

I concur. If this makes you feel any better, hitting a floating
eye by accident is far less stupid than thinking "Well I'm strong
and this floating eye cannot freeze me for _that_ long if I hit
it, so nothing bad should happen", as I have been known to do.

chlorine.

Ben Kimball wrote:

> Very deliberately did I move in this game, knowing how thin
> a margin of error this Wizard would have with his AC of 5.

> Then, rounding a corner, for no real reason, I hit 6 and then quickly
> 9 to turn. And between that 6 and that fateful 9, and too quickly to
> stop my plunging ring finger, that lovely little 'e'.

Try to learn to move using the "g" key or the "_" key. Your
character will stop when something dangerous happens, like an
eye floating in front of you.

Of course, this only works on already-explored levels: when
you're still mapping a level, this won't work.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

chlorine wrote:

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
>>Ben Kimball wrote:
>>

>>>Very deliberately did I move in this game, knowing how thin
>>>a margin of error this Wizard would have with his AC of 5.
>>
>>>Then, rounding a corner, for no real reason, I hit 6 and then quickly
>>>9 to turn. And between that 6 and that fateful 9, and too quickly to
>>>stop my plunging ring finger, that lovely little 'e'.
>>>
>>>Yes, it's a sad tale, one told and retold down through the
>>>generations. No doubt it will sound familiar to some of you. *cough*
>>
>>All, probably, except for those that have only been around for a week or
>>less.
>
> I concur. If this makes you feel any better, hitting a floating
> eye by accident is far less stupid than thinking "Well I'm strong
> and this floating eye cannot freeze me for _that_ long if I hit
> it, so nothing bad should happen", as I have been known to do.

Hitting the eye on purpose as you've just 'cancelled' it.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

On 25 Aug 2005 23:41:33 -0700
"chlorine" <chlorine@free.fr> wrote:

>I concur. If this makes you feel any better, hitting a floating
>eye by accident is far less stupid than thinking "Well I'm strong
>and this floating eye cannot freeze me for _that_ long if I hit
>it, so nothing bad should happen", as I have been known to do.

I usually hide in a corner a a xorn:

X##
#e.
#..

and that way the floating eye cant get me (and if it does, it wont matter until other xorns show up.

Topi Linkala wrote:
> chlorine wrote:
>> I concur. If this makes you feel any better, hitting a floating
>> eye by accident is far less stupid than thinking "Well I'm strong
>> and this floating eye cannot freeze me for _that_ long if I hit
>> it, so nothing bad should happen", as I have been known to do.
>
> Hitting the eye on purpose as you've just 'cancelled' it.

Or "I'm packing Grayswandir; I should be able to one-shot it."

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

wrote:

>Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>> Ben Kimball wrote:
>>
>> > Very deliberately did I move in this game, knowing how thin
>> > a margin of error this Wizard would have with his AC of 5.
>>
>> > Then, rounding a corner, for no real reason, I hit 6 and then quickly
>> > 9 to turn. And between that 6 and that fateful 9, and too quickly to
>> > stop my plunging ring finger, that lovely little 'e'.
>> >
>> > Yes, it's a sad tale, one told and retold down through the
>> > generations. No doubt it will sound familiar to some of you. *cough*
>>
>> All, probably, except for those that have only been around for a week or
>> less.
>
>I concur. If this makes you feel any better, hitting a floating
>eye by accident is far less stupid than thinking "Well I'm strong
>and this floating eye cannot freeze me for _that_ long if I hit
>it, so nothing bad should happen", as I have been known to do.
>
>chlorine.

Well, I've noticed a floating eye on a level while wearing a
blindfold to check for monsters. Seen the eye several times
during blindfold checks while then moving across the level toward
it. The seen it while blindfolded while almost next to it...
and run into it anyway without the blindfold on with no
reflection...and died while frozen by its gaze.

Top that for stupidity. Please.

--
All the best,

Jove

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:20:40 +0200
"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

>How often can you polymorph into a xorn, while you *don't* have a means
>of reflection or a way to blind yourself at will?

Slash'em doppelganger.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> noah bedford wrote:
> > "Boudewijn Waijers" wrote:
>
> >> How often can you polymorph into a xorn, while you *don't* have a
> >> means of reflection or a way to blind yourself at will?
>
> > Slash'em doppelganger.
>
> We weren't talking about , but about vanilla.

Look at the topic tag.

noah bedford wrote:
> "chlorine" wrote:

>> I concur. If this makes you feel any better, hitting a floating
>> eye by accident is far less stupid than thinking "Well I'm strong
>> and this floating eye cannot freeze me for _that_ long if I hit
>> it, so nothing bad should happen", as I have been known to do.

> I usually hide in a corner a a xorn:

> X##
> #e.
> #..

> and that way the floating eye cant get me (and if it does, it wont
> matter until other xorns show up.

How often can you polymorph into a xorn, while you *don't* have a means
of reflection or a way to blind yourself at will?

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:10:32 GMT
BManx2000 <bmanx2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In that case, poly into something that has reflection or no eyes. Or
>something that has a breath attack. With a silver dragon, you get both!

You get poly control at lvl 9, so until then xorn is best.

noah bedford wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" wrote:

>> How often can you polymorph into a xorn, while you *don't* have a
>> means of reflection or a way to blind yourself at will?

> Slash'em doppelganger.

We weren't talking about , but about vanilla.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

seraphim

bencillan@yahoo.com wrote in news:1125165871.894315.321550
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>> noah bedford wrote:

>> > Slash'em doppelganger.
>>
>> We weren't talking about , but about vanilla.
>
> Look at the topic tag.

Look at who added the topic tag.