which SLOTS for which CPUs?

G

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help I am trying to find a list to tell me which CPU's i,e, Duron, Pentium III, celeron etc require which slots.

Does anyone know of a good website to provide this information.

Regards

Ian

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Athlon/Tbird/Athlon4(MP) = Socket A
Athlon Classic = Slot A
Duron = Socket A

Pentium 4 Northwood = Socket478
Pentium 4 Williamette = Socket 423
Pentium 3 Tualatin = Socket370/FCPGA2
Pentium 3 Coppermine = Socket370/FCPGA
Pentium 3 Coppermine = Slot1/SECC2
Pentium 3 Katami = Slot1/SECC2
Celeron = Socket370/FCPGA
Celeron = Socket370/PPGA

Now one of these CPU manufacturers has had a confusing socket/mobo policy over the last few years - can you guess which one? :smile:

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Not until you answer <i>this</i> bonus question:

What cpu manufacturer do you trust the most to protect your motherboard investment over the life of many successive cpus?

Tick...Tick...Tick...

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I know, I know... Texas Instruments...

AMD is keeping the Socket A upto Barton.

Intel will decide their next socket once they've made and tried to sell the cpu to go into it. If only a few people go and buy the cpu, they'll get via to whip something up for it, while they ponder what to do next.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
For the bonus ? i choose amd. Is that correct?? Do i win a prize??

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946</A>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
You forgot Celeron = Slot1/SECC2
Cacheless Celeron from 266Mhz - 300MHz on Slot1/SECC@
Than the Celerom 300A, which was also Slot1/SECC2 with 128K L2 Cache....went from 300Mhz - 400MHz versions under slot1/secc2...
366-533 MHz version they had Socket370/PPGA models.. :)

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
HAHAHAHHAHA
Ohh, that gave a good chuckle....
Watch out though, if Scarywood reads that he'll get his blood and cript gangs after you becasue he hates the 'AMD Lemmings' and the 'Intel Zealots' he praises Cyrix, cuz his parents use Cyrix and he uses one, and it does what he needs....Carefull now....we dont want to upset anyone.

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
you are correct - but I was trying to stay within the bounds of reasonable chip purchases - hence I avoided the early Celery and PII

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
You see, when you buy an Intel cpu you also buy an Intel chipset for it as well. Also don't forget about the RDRAM for the P4 chips.

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
Maybe it will be compatiable with claw hammer too!

Here's speculation from a <A HREF="http://www.cpureview.com/rev_amdmp_a.html" target="_new">very informative article</A>:

Hammer Speculations
There have been several reports of AMD adopting a NUMA architecture for the Hammer series. [NUMA = non-uniform memory architecture; basically each processor in an MP system has a local memory pool with a private port (to which it has priority access) and access to a global memory pool (which usually includes access to other processors private memory)]

I would suspect that NUMA compliant Hammers would need a new package; however I would not be too surprised if Claw Hammer also showed up in a Socket A format.

Remember, AMD has made a point of telling everyone that they don't want to be in the motherboard chipset business.

If they don't want to be in that market, a Socket A 64 bit processor would make perfect sense; think of all the existing motherboards it could fit into with just a BIOS upgrade!

Ofcourse it is entirely possible to make a NUMA architecture system with current T-bird or Palomino based Athlons; all you would need would be a special Northbridge with two memory ports (say trade the AGP port for a second memory port) and a "middle bridge" (West bridge?) crossbar switch to connect multiple NUMA Northbridges...