760MP support for tbirds?

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
has anyone tried sticking tbirds into a dual athlon board? i'm getting a dualie in september, and would like to know if i can get a faster tbird, instead of the clockspeed-gimped athlon mp.

are there other enhancements to the athlon mp, that let it outperform a faster-clocked tbird?

thanks

~Crapple0

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Yes, you can put 2 T-birds in ur MP Board....anandtech did a review and tried the Tyan Thunder board with Dual T-Birds, Duron's, and MP's....all worked succesfully...
the MP has the Palomino core, so yes, there is architectural advances in the MP that make it outperform a higher clocked T-Bird.....
Wait till Athlon 4 comes out and see if AMD left the MP support in them enabled...pick up a couple A-4's and a Dualie board and ur set 4 life... :)

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I see someone copied my earlier signature. I'm almost flattered, except they twisted it almost beyond recognition.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
the athlon 4 core has veen revised, runs 20% cooler, has a few wierd and wonderful technological gizzmo's included that improve performance too.

see if you can find one of toms articles about it.

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
PALAMINO there only 1 thing that will be useful SSE.The rest can give you a little boost that all.

In sysmark he 3% (around) faster.
In Quake he almost can up with P4 (SSE).
Others game like MDK2 get a little bit faster.MDK2 dont have SSE so that dont take adventage of Intel instruction avaible on PAL.
Studio 3D max near 25%(if i remeber well) faster that where he can get is max of is new feature.

Power now can help save $$$$ not much but.Does some one know something for this.Like how much cash that you save with 3Dnow vs older T-bird in 1 year.

PAL will give you more multimedia/game performance that older T-bird.In the apps world nothing around 3% or worse.