A fragile YANI

Should one ever have the misfortune to have a thoroughly rusty thoroughly
corroded weapon there should be a small chance of the weapon being
destroyed (unlessed cursed, I'm thinking along the lines of prying open
boxes and chests w/ weapons and how cursed weapons rarely if never break)
in the heat of combat.

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> Should one ever have the misfortune to have a thoroughly rusty thoroughly
> corroded weapon there should be a small chance of the weapon being
> destroyed (unlessed cursed, I'm thinking along the lines of prying open
> boxes and chests w/ weapons and how cursed weapons rarely if never break)
> in the heat of combat.

I like this a lot, and the same for armour. Corrosion should definitely
mean something. I think cursed items should still have a chance of
breaking, but a much reduced chance compared to uncursed/ blessed ones.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>I like this a lot, and the same for armour. Corrosion should definitely
>mean something.

Corrosion already means something. Damaged weapons do less damage than
undamaged weapons (penalty equal to the magnitude of the larger of the two
damage levels), and damaged armour provides less protection (penalty as
per weapons, but if the penalty would be larger than the armour's basic
unenchanted protection value, it gets capped.) The impact of the former,
in particular, is quite pronounced in the early game.

Now, admittedly, it doesn't mean anything if you're running around in a
full set of +5 armours and wielding a +7 artifact, but if you can pull
that off, you can spare a potion of confusion and a few enchant scrolls
with which to damageproof it all.
\_\/_/ meteorites are outta sight but this one's place is in outer space
\ / if you wanna know i'll tell you why it's cause radiation makes you die
\/ -- Zombina and the Skeletones, "Meteorite"