Question on killing and resurrecting co-aligned unicorns

Dear group,

in one of my better games i had a neutral character who went through
Sokoban and found a co-aligned unicorn trapped between the boulder that
i was pushing and the hole where the boulder belonged.

I was feeling experimental and since i had a Wand of Turn Undead I
Killed the Unicorn with some range weapon, pushed the boulder into the
hole, collected the horn, then i resurrected the unicorn.

My Deity didn't seem to care..

My Question: Is it really ok to kill and resurrect the unicorn or does
it damage your alignment ? If it would be ok you could get an unicorn
horn from a co-aligned unicorn and afterwards resurrect the beast

Regards

Uli

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

uli2003wien@lycos.at wrote in

> Dear group,
>
> in one of my better games i had a neutral character who went through
> Sokoban and found a co-aligned unicorn trapped between the boulder that
> i was pushing and the hole where the boulder belonged.
>
> I was feeling experimental and since i had a Wand of Turn Undead I
> Killed the Unicorn with some range weapon, pushed the boulder into the
> hole, collected the horn, then i resurrected the unicorn.
>
> My Deity didn't seem to care..
>
> My Question: Is it really ok to kill and resurrect the unicorn or does
> it damage your alignment ? If it would be ok you could get an unicorn
> horn from a co-aligned unicorn and afterwards resurrect the beast
>
> Regards
>

> Uli

you did KILL the unicorn, You say the diety didn't care? was that due to no
immediate action or some other determination. If so what? I would say that
your alignment dropped by killing the Unicorn period.

chuck <chucko@nil.car> writes:

> uli2003wien@lycos.at wrote in
>
> > in one of my better games i had a neutral character who went through
> > Sokoban and found a co-aligned unicorn trapped between the boulder that
> > i was pushing and the hole where the boulder belonged.
> >
> > I was feeling experimental and since i had a Wand of Turn Undead I
> > Killed the Unicorn with some range weapon, pushed the boulder into the
> > hole, collected the horn, then i resurrected the unicorn.
> >
> > My Deity didn't seem to care..
> >
> > My Question: Is it really ok to kill and resurrect the unicorn or does
> > it damage your alignment ? If it would be ok you could get an unicorn
> > horn from a co-aligned unicorn and afterwards resurrect the beast
>
> you did KILL the unicorn, You say the diety didn't care? was that due to no
> immediate action or some other determination. If so what? I would say that
> your alignment dropped by killing the Unicorn period.

Killing a coaligned unicorn doesn't anger your god, but it does carry
a penalty of -5 Luck, besides the normal alignment penalty for killing
peaceful monsters. Did you not get the message "You feel guilty...."
when you killed it?

AFAIK, resurrecting it doesn't reverse any of the penalties for
killing it. However, you can repair your luck by giving it an
identified valuable gem.
Eva.

--
Eva Myers, Computer Officer, Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge
Email: erm1001@cam.ac.uk WWW: http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

> Killing a coaligned unicorn doesn't anger your god, but it does carry
> a penalty of -5 Luck, besides the normal alignment penalty for killing
> peaceful monsters. Did you not get the message "You feel guilty...."
> when you killed it?
>
> AFAIK, resurrecting it doesn't reverse any of the penalties for
> killing it. However, you can repair your luck by giving it an
> identified valuable gem.
> Eva.

You didn't reply to the O.P. you realize? Just a mention is all.

chuck <chucko@nil.car> writes:

> > Killing a coaligned unicorn doesn't anger your god, but it does carry

> You didn't reply to the O.P. you realize? Just a mention is all.

And you said this without saying WHO didn't reply to the O.P. you realize?
Just a mention is all.

--
Jukka Lahtinen

uli2003wien@lycos.at wrote:

> My Question: Is it really ok to kill and resurrect the unicorn or does
> it damage your alignment ? If it would be ok you could get an unicorn
> horn from a co-aligned unicorn and afterwards resurrect the beast

Watch/read the Steven King movie/book "Pet Cemetary"
and you will see that a resurrected animal is not
nearly as good as the original. Okay, so much for
the theory. In practice, the code for luck penalty
happens when you kill and no reversal check happens
when you resurrect.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Jukka Lahtinen <jslnews@despammed.com> wrote in

> chuck <chucko@nil.car> writes:
>

>> > Killing a coaligned unicorn doesn't anger your god, but it does carry
> ..
>
>> You didn't reply to the O.P. you realize? Just a mention is all.
>
> And you said this without saying WHO didn't reply to the O.P. you realize?
> Just a mention is all.

well, let's see, I replied to Eva's message, does that give you a hint?????

chuck schrieb:

> > Killing a coaligned unicorn doesn't anger your god, but it does carry
> > a penalty of -5 Luck, besides the normal alignment penalty for killing
> > peaceful monsters. Did you not get the message "You feel guilty...."
> > when you killed it?
> >
> > AFAIK, resurrecting it doesn't reverse any of the penalties for
> > killing it. However, you can repair your luck by giving it an
> > identified valuable gem.
> > Eva.
> >

> You didn't reply to the O.P. you realize? Just a mention is all.

I am the OP and i feel comfortably and very well thanks to the nice
answers in this thread. Now i know that it is NOT ok to kill the
co-aligned unicorn for collecting the horn and afterwards resurrecting
it. But with a identified diamond things look really different. You see
it's money that makes the world turn round.

Regards

Uli

chuck <chucko@nil.car> writes:
> Jukka Lahtinen <jslnews@despammed.com> wrote in

> > ..
> >> You didn't reply to the O.P. you realize? Just a mention is all.

> > And you said this without saying WHO didn't reply to the O.P. you realize?

> well, let's see, I replied to Eva's message, does that give you a hint?????

So what? It was ANOTHER message that I had read earlier so it wasn't shown
any more. "You" is meaningless when the context doesn't show who that
"you" is.

Your posting was just asking for that to be pointed out..

(Yeah, it CAN be retrieved again but it's extra effort and nobody
should need to do that if you'd just NOT DELETE the attributions.)

--
Jukka Lahtinen

chuck wrote:
> Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
>
> > So what? It was ANOTHER message that I had read earlier so it wasn't shown
> > any more. "You" is meaningless when the context doesn't show who that
> > "you" is.
>
> > Your posting was just asking for that to be pointed out..
>
> > (Yeah, it CAN be retrieved again but it's extra effort and nobody
> > should need to do that if you'd just NOT DELETE the attributions.)
>
> what do you mean "retrieve"? Do you actually kill all messages you've
> read?????

A well behaved newsreader pulls each article from the server.
It pulls the message when you read it. Maybe when you first
read it, maybe each time. Caching of previously read postings
is neither required nor expected though some newsreaders do it.

> If one uses a PROPER newsreader and KNOWS how to use it it is simple to
> determine to whom another is posting because the reply will be indented from
> the person replied to.

Indenting and attributions are to be supplied by default when
a responding post is opened up. If the newsreader fails to
provide that it is not "PROPER". This indentation is only
within a posting not among posting because a well behaved
newsreader is not expected to display more than one message.

Actually, this required behavior of a good newsreader in
part of the reason I choose to use Google groups. It does
display threads as scrolling regions. No matter that it is
the wrong behavior per UseNet standards, I have grown to
prefer it.

> So what? It was ANOTHER message that I had read earlier so it wasn't shown
> any more. "You" is meaningless when the context doesn't show who that
> "you" is.
>
> Your posting was just asking for that to be pointed out..
>
> (Yeah, it CAN be retrieved again but it's extra effort and nobody
> should need to do that if you'd just NOT DELETE the attributions.)

what do you mean "retrieve"? Do you actually kill all messages you've
read?????

If one uses a PROPER newsreader and KNOWS how to use it it is simple to
determine to whom another is posting because the reply will be indented from
the person replied to.

seraphim

chuck <chucko@nil.car> wrote in

> Jukka Lahtinen <jslnews@despammed.com> wrote in
>

>> So what? It was ANOTHER message that I had read earlier so it
>> wasn't shown any more. "You" is meaningless when the context
>> doesn't show who that "you" is.
>>
>> Your posting was just asking for that to be pointed out..
>>
>> (Yeah, it CAN be retrieved again but it's extra effort and nobody
>> should need to do that if you'd just NOT DELETE the attributions.)
>>
> what do you mean "retrieve"? Do you actually kill all messages
> you've read?????
>
> If one uses a PROPER newsreader and KNOWS how to use it it is simple
> to determine to whom another is posting because the reply will be
> indented from the person replied to.

I've only encountered a few places that will keep usenet posts around
forever. How exactly to you use a simple method to determin to whom
another poster is replying to if the message they are replying to has
disapeared from your server and you don't have a copy of it on your
local system?

chuck <chucko@nil.car> wrote:

> If one uses a PROPER newsreader and KNOWS how to use it it is simple to
> determine to whom another is posting because the reply will be indented from
> the person replied to.

Once again you demonstrate your thorough lack of technical knowledge.

It is quite possible that you reply to a message which has not yet
arrived at my server, and that your reply does arrive before the message
you reply to does.

Richard

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:08:21 GMT, rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl
(Richard Bos) wrote:

>chuck <chucko@nil.car> wrote:
>
>> If one uses a PROPER newsreader and KNOWS how to use it it is simple to
>> determine to whom another is posting because the reply will be indented from
>> the person replied to.
>
>Once again you demonstrate your thorough lack of technical knowledge.
>
>It is quite possible that you reply to a message which has not yet
>arrived at my server, and that your reply does arrive before the message
>you reply to does.
>
>Richard

People, chuck's been in my killfile for a long time. I'd have
forgotten s/h/it existed if you wouldn't keep replying to him.

Besides, DNFTEC:

DNFTEC. This stands for "Do Not Feed The Energy Creature".
An energy creature's favorite feeding tactic is to try to hurt
people's feelings or get them angry. The Energy Creature can
then feed off the pain and anger it has generated.

Its second favorite tactic is to hurt one person or the group's
feelings while gathering the sympathy of others. That way, when
the injured party lashes back, others will jump to the Energy
Creature's defense.

The Energy Creature feeds off the attention and the negative
energy generated by the people fighting. Newsgroups will never
be completely rid of such obnoxious, offensive and ill-mannered
beings, but much can be done to keep the situation under control
by remembering this simple formula:

DNFTEC. If the Energy Creature gets a response, it gets stronger.
If it is ignored, it will eventually weaken, wither and go away.

Remember: do not feed the energy creatures.

From <http://users.erols.com/wrei/faqs/medieval.html>

--
All the best,

Jove

Richard Bos wrote:

> chuck <chucko@nil.car> wrote:

>> [...]

> Once again you demonstrate your thorough lack of technical knowledge.

Does anyone know if there is a way to not only killfile a certain
person, but also all replies to his messages?

I killfiled chuck months ago, because he rarely had something
interesting to say, but I keep seeing everyone replying to his (indeed
mostly uninteresting) messages...

:-(

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

In article <df2opl$uo3$1@news4.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>, Boudewijn Waijers
says...
> Does anyone know if there is a way to not only killfile a certain
> person, but also all replies to his messages?

It ought to be possible to Ignore the subthread under a killfiled person's
post, but I've not seen a newsreader do it.

In Microplanet Gravity (GPL now) I can create a rule that searches message
bodies for a string (e.g. email address, hostname) and then deletes/marks-
as-read/whatevers it. If you are able to choose your newsreader and use
Windows, you may wish to try it. I find it better than Forte Free Agent.
Its Rules are very powerful.

http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/

On 2005-08-30, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Richard Bos wrote:
>
>> chuck <chucko@nil.car> wrote:
>
>>> [...]
>
>> Once again you demonstrate your thorough lack of technical knowledge.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to not only killfile a certain
> person, but also all replies to his messages?
>
> I killfiled chuck months ago, because he rarely had something
> interesting to say, but I keep seeing everyone replying to his (indeed
> mostly uninteresting) messages...

His message-IDs appear to be uniquely identifyable, e.g.:
<Xns96BEBA4E9AB8Dchuckonilcar@207.35.177.135>

notice the "chuckonilcar" and the IP, which also seems to be static.
Messages replying to him should have such message-IDs in their
"References" field, so you can try filtering for that.

Ohle
--
Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

> Richard Bos wrote:
>
> > chuck <chucko@nil.car> wrote:
>
> >> [...]
>
> > Once again you demonstrate your thorough lack of technical knowledge.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a way to not only killfile a certain
> person, but also all replies to his messages?

Depends on the program you use. I would be surprised if OE allowed
something so advanced as matching on the final (rather than initial)
part of a user-selected header (rather than a fixed choice of From:,
Subject: and Lines:).

> I killfiled chuck months ago, because he rarely had something
> interesting to say, but I keep seeing everyone replying to his (indeed
> mostly uninteresting) messages...

I try not to reply to him, but when he posts something that may affirm
non-quoters in their practices, I think it needs to be corrected, if
only for the good of the Google-users.

Richard

On 8/30/05 9:30 PM, Andrew Kerr wrote:
> In article <df2opl$uo3$1@news4.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>, Boudewijn Waijers
> says...
>
>>Does anyone know if there is a way to not only killfile a certain
>>person, but also all replies to his messages?
>>

> It ought to be possible to Ignore the subthread under a killfiled person's
> post, but I've not seen a newsreader do it.

It would be a shame to lose every subthread just because someone you
didn't like chose to respond.

If someone knew you were doing that, they could effectively prevent you
from reading the group entirely.

--
Kevin Wayne

"Stark raving sane."
--Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

> I've only encountered a few places that will keep usenet posts around
> forever. How exactly to you use a simple method to determin to whom
> another poster is replying to if the message they are replying to has
> disapeared from your server and you don't have a copy of it on your
> local system?

We aren't talking about forever in a thread here, MAYBE a week tops, If your
I.P.'s server doesn't keep them that long (mine does and it's pretty
horrible) I would suggest going for one of the third party ones such as
giganews.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

rlb@hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl (Richard Bos) wrote in

> chuck <chucko@nil.car> wrote:
>
>> If one uses a PROPER newsreader and KNOWS how to use it it is simple to
>> determine to whom another is posting because the reply will be indented
from
>> the person replied to.
>
> Once again you demonstrate your thorough lack of technical knowledge.
>
> It is quite possible that you reply to a message which has not yet
> arrived at my server, and that your reply does arrive before the message
> you reply to does.
>
> Richard

Geez, once again you have gotten it completely wrong. I didn't reply to you.
Here is the message I replied to:

Sender: jukkal@despammed.com
Newsgroups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack
Subject: Re: Question on killing and resurrecting co-aligned unicorns
From: Jukka Lahtinen <jslnews@despammed.com>
Date: 29 Aug 2005 17:26:45 +0300

chuck <chucko@nil.car> writes:
> Jukka Lahtinen <jslnews@despammed.com> wrote in

> > ..
> >> You didn't reply to the O.P. you realize? Just a mention is all.

> > And you said this without saying WHO didn't reply to the O.P. you
realize?

> well, let's see, I replied to Eva's message, does that give you a hint?????

So what? It was ANOTHER message that I had read earlier so it wasn't shown
any more. "You" is meaningless when the context doesn't show who that
"you" is.

Your posting was just asking for that to be pointed out..

(Yeah, it CAN be retrieved again but it's extra effort and nobody
should need to do that if you'd just NOT DELETE the attributions.)

--
Jukka Lahtinen

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:19:36 +0000, chuck wrote:

[removing attribution lines and replies without posts]

> We aren't talking about forever in a thread here, MAYBE a week tops, If
> your I.P.'s server doesn't keep them that long (mine does and it's
> pretty horrible) I would suggest going for one of the third party ones
> such as giganews.

So you suggest that everyone else shell out extra money, which at best
might potentially hide the problem, instead of just agreeing that you
shouldn't remove an attribution line? How is that a solution?

Kevin Wayne <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 8/30/05 9:30 PM, Andrew Kerr wrote:
> > In article <df2opl$uo3$1@news4.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>, Boudewijn Waijers
> > says...
> >
> >>Does anyone know if there is a way to not only killfile a certain
> >>person, but also all replies to his messages?
> >
> > It ought to be possible to Ignore the subthread under a killfiled person's
> > post, but I've not seen a newsreader do it.
> >
> It would be a shame to lose every subthread just because someone you
> didn't like chose to respond.

You wouldn't; you would only lose posts made as replies to, or replies
to replies, &c., to that post. Replies to the original thread by others
would still be seen.

Richard

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 04:37:38 GMT, Kevin Wayne
<killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 8/30/05 9:30 PM, Andrew Kerr wrote:
>> In article <df2opl$uo3$1@news4.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>, Boudewijn Waijers
>> says...
>>
>>>Does anyone know if there is a way to not only killfile a certain
>>>person, but also all replies to his messages?
>>>

>> It ought to be possible to Ignore the subthread under a killfiled person's
>> post, but I've not seen a newsreader do it.
>>
>It would be a shame to lose every subthread just because someone you
>didn't like chose to respond.
>
>If someone knew you were doing that, they could effectively prevent you
>from reading the group entirely.

How about any replies to chucky's posts have "chuckfu" or
similar unusual string so readers can filter on subject?

Everyone killfiling chuck or just not responding to him could
also work. Anyone using s/h/its posts as justification for poor
posting style could simply be informed of the true situation.
(i.e. It's a troll.)

Those posters worth saving will be enlightened. Those not
probably can't be saved anyway.

Or how about a rotation of posters on "chucky cleanup duty"?
That way we'd only have to read its drivel in one followup
a day.

--
All the best,

Jove

Jove wrote:

> DNFTEC. This stands for "Do Not Feed The Energy Creature".
> An energy creature's favorite feeding tactic is to try to hurt
> people's feelings or get them angry. The Energy Creature can
> then feed off the pain and anger it has generated.

Well, now I almost feel like stepping in for him. I'm not saying chuck
never contributes anything useful to the newsgroup. He does, in fact.

However, his signal-to-noise ratio is that much off from what I consider
an acceptable use of my sparse time, that I've put him in my killfile a
while ago.

Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me