YASD, and I am very annoyed

Tried on a pair of gloves, forgot to wear Gauntlets again afterwards, picked up
a cockatrice corpse.

This as a level 21 Priest, going down to face Rodney with 2 cockatrice eggs
ready having marked the VS. 681 HP, AC -40, 280 PW, 36 spells, 4942 vanquished
creatures. 36 spells. +7 GS. 2 pet Aleax, 1 pet Titan with heavily enchanted
Snickersnee, Sunsword and Excalibur. Also pet blue dragon (was an Aleax) and
pet orc captain (was yellow dragon then rust monster then orange dragon). A
mere 100,000 turns. I'm cautious, honest.

Could have been my first ascension. Wishless, polyselfless, genocideless.

*grumble grumble grumble*
14 answers Last reply
More about yasd annoyed

    Andrew Kerr wrote:
    > Tried on a pair of gloves, forgot to wear Gauntlets again afterwards, picked up
    > a cockatrice corpse.

    So, what happened to the pair of gloves?

    -K

    Andrew Kerr wrote:
    > Tried on a pair of gloves, forgot to wear Gauntlets again afterwards, picked up
    > a cockatrice corpse.
    >
    > This as a level 21 Priest, going down to face Rodney with 2 cockatrice eggs
    > ready having marked the VS. 681 HP, AC -40, 280 PW, 36 spells, 4942 vanquished
    > creatures. 36 spells. +7 GS. 2 pet Aleax, 1 pet Titan with heavily enchanted
    > Snickersnee, Sunsword and Excalibur. Also pet blue dragon (was an Aleax) and
    > pet orc captain (was yellow dragon then rust monster then orange dragon). A
    > mere 100,000 turns. I'm cautious, honest.
    >
    > Could have been my first ascension. Wishless, polyselfless, genocideless.

    Oooh, too bad!
    But now you've been as far as this, you'll be able to ascend soon I
    guess.

    chlorine

    Andrew Kerr wrote:
    > [YASRubberChickenD]
    > Could have been my first ascension. Wishless, polyselfless, genocideless.

    Oooohh.... wishless *and* genoless on your first ascension... nice.
    I'll probably aim for genoless on my first ascension, but wishless?
    Respect.

    Andrew Kerr wrote:
    <snip>
    > The gloves I tried on I ditched. Gauntlets of Power still in inventory.

    Ahhh, so you had GoP, took that off and tried the gloves, and ditched
    it, and forgot to put the GoP back on and picked up the 'trice corpse,
    eh. Now I understand.

    It's even worse when you are playing with Magic Trap, gets blind, move
    onto the square with the corpse so the other monsters won't pick it up
    and realize you feel the items on the ground with the barehand cos you
    took off the gauntlets that's not fireproof...

    -K

    In article <1125062199.744580.19000@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Kremti
    says...
    > Andrew Kerr wrote:
    > > Tried on a pair of gloves, forgot to wear Gauntlets again afterwards,
    > > picked up
    > > a cockatrice corpse.
    >
    > So, what happened to the pair of gloves?
    >
    > -K

    The gloves I tried on I ditched. Gauntlets of Power still in inventory.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Quoting Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk>:
    >Tried on a pair of gloves, forgot to wear Gauntlets again afterwards, picked
    >up a cockatrice corpse.
    >This as a level 21 Priest, going down to face Rodney with 2 cockatrice eggs
    >ready having marked the VS. 681 HP, AC -40, 280 PW,
    [etc]

    See, you *can* overprepare. :-)
    --
    David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
    Today is First Thursday, August.

    In article <eqD*XQ8Wq@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, David Damerell says...
    > Quoting Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk>:
    > >Tried on a pair of gloves, forgot to wear Gauntlets again afterwards, picked
    > >up a cockatrice corpse.
    > >This as a level 21 Priest, going down to face Rodney with 2 cockatrice eggs
    > >ready having marked the VS. 681 HP, AC -40, 280 PW,
    > [etc]
    >
    > See, you *can* overprepare. :-)

    I'd made sure all my Aleax pets had AC of < -20, including DSM (which made
    one of them stepping onto poly trap less annoying), "oLS and artifact
    weapons. I even dived into the water on Medusa's level twice to retrieve
    Excalibur after one of them dropped it in, being careful not to carry
    anything water damageable and wearing "oMB.

    This is why I tried on the leather gloves: to get every last AC point for
    my pets.

    It's all their fault I tell you.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <1125063204.413825.162100@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    says...

    > Andrew Kerr wrote:
    > > [YASRubberChickenD]
    > > Could have been my first ascension. Wishless, polyselfless, genocideless.
    >
    > Oooohh.... wishless *and* genoless on your first ascension... nice.
    > I'll probably aim for genoless on my first ascension, but wishless?
    > Respect.

    Thanks, but the rubber chicken incident probably nullifies any achievement.

    I didn't set out to keep conducts intact. I got a magic lamp mid game but
    decided to keep it as a light source until I needed the wish. Once I got
    the /oWishing from the Castle, I had just about everything I needed, and
    polypiled for the rest.

    I didn't get a ?oGeno till late either.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 26 Aug 2005 09:24:21 -0700, "Kremti" <kremti@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Andrew Kerr wrote:
    ><snip>
    >> The gloves I tried on I ditched. Gauntlets of Power still in inventory.
    >
    >Ahhh, so you had GoP, took that off and tried the gloves, and ditched
    >it, and forgot to put the GoP back on and picked up the 'trice corpse,
    >eh. Now I understand.
    >
    >It's even worse when you are playing with Magic Trap, gets blind, move
    >onto the square with the corpse so the other monsters won't pick it up
    >and realize you feel the items on the ground with the barehand cos you
    >took off the gauntlets that's not fireproof...

    I learned to carry a spare pair of leather gloves to wear in
    that circumstance. You can still handle a cockatrice corpse
    safely even if the gloves are badly burnt.

    (There's an idea for the DevTeam. Gloves stop protecting
    you from cockatrice corpses when they reach their damage limit.
    Wouldn't that be evil.)

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:03:27 GMT, Andrew Kerr
    <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Tried on a pair of gloves, forgot to wear Gauntlets again afterwards, picked up
    >a cockatrice corpse.
    >
    >This as a level 21 Priest, going down to face Rodney with 2 cockatrice eggs
    >ready having marked the VS. 681 HP, AC -40, 280 PW, 36 spells, 4942 vanquished
    >creatures. 36 spells. +7 GS. 2 pet Aleax, 1 pet Titan with heavily enchanted
    >Snickersnee, Sunsword and Excalibur. Also pet blue dragon (was an Aleax) and
    >pet orc captain (was yellow dragon then rust monster then orange dragon). A
    >mere 100,000 turns. I'm cautious, honest.
    >
    >Could have been my first ascension. Wishless, polyselfless, genocideless.
    >
    >*grumble grumble grumble*

    You made it this far once. Doing it again will be easier. You
    can ascend. The only bad sign I see is trying those conducts on
    a first ascension. If you want to, it's fine by me. But the
    Real Nethack God frowns mightily on hubris.

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 26 Aug 2005 15:44:20 +0100 (BST), David Damerell
    <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

    >Quoting Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk>:
    >>Tried on a pair of gloves, forgot to wear Gauntlets again afterwards, picked
    >>up a cockatrice corpse.
    >>This as a level 21 Priest, going down to face Rodney with 2 cockatrice eggs
    >>ready having marked the VS. 681 HP, AC -40, 280 PW,
    >[etc]
    >
    >See, you *can* overprepare. :-)

    Playing devil's advocate, if he'd prepared enought to get the
    identification spell he wouldn't have had to remove his gloves
    to check the new ones. ;^)

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
    > >I *always* double check gloves and boots before approaching 'trices now.
    > >I've finally learned. And no more disarming the damn mines while holding
    > >one!

    > Do tell.

    I believe the sequence would be
    1. Wield 'c' corpse.
    2. Attempt to disarm mine.
    3. Fail at said attempt; mine goes off and creates a pit.
    4. You fall into the pit and land on the 'trice.
    5. DYWYPI?

    As for me, I give 'trice corpses a wide berth, but I don't even like
    to leave them out of sight until they've rotted away, lest something
    else pick them up.

    --
    Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
    and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

    Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner wrote:

    > I believe the sequence would be
    > 1. Wield 'c' corpse.
    > 2. Attempt to disarm mine.
    > 3. Fail at said attempt; mine goes off and creates a pit.
    > 4. You fall into the pit and land on the 'trice.
    > 5. DYWYPI?

    Don't do anything except whack monsters while wielding a cockatrice
    corpse, then. Don't even take one step. If you see a foocubus or a nymph
    approaching, unwield the corpse. A cockatrice corpse in your inventory
    *can't hurt you* as long as you don't wield it. (Erm, or eat it, as I did
    once when I was starving and my cockatrice corpse was in the 'e' slot
    where food rations usually are; now I cast skilled food detection
    whenever I can)

    Raisse, petrified by a cockatrice

  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner wrote:

    > As for me, I give 'trice corpses a wide berth, but I don't even like
    > to leave them out of sight until they've rotted away, lest something
    > else pick them up.

    I just pick them up with gloves, and put them in my bag. After a while,
    they rot away, and you'll not have to worry about some soldier with
    gloves picking them up and using them against you. Chests are another
    option, but you will have to carry them over.

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me

Hewlett Packard Video Games