Polymorph duration?

Last response: in Video Games
August 26, 2005 3:18:58 PM

I started this latest wizard with a ring of polymorph control and a wand of
polymorph. Now I'm a master lich and I find I quite like it. Will my
polymorph wear off? If so, when? If not, does that mean if I poly into a
gelatinous cube to eat a ring, I'm stuck in that form?

Thanks!
Ben

More about : polymorph duration

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 10:52:41 PM

Ben Kimball wrote:

> I started this latest wizard with a ring of polymorph control and a wand
> of polymorph.

I thought that wasn't allowed?

> Now I'm a master lich and I find I quite like it. Will my
> polymorph wear off?

Yes.

> If so, when?

When the RNG thinks it's time. On the whole, the more powerful your form
is, the sooner you'll get back to human/gnome/elf/whatever. If you want
to stay in your polymorphed form, wear an amulet of unchanging.

> If not, does that mean if I poly into a
> gelatinous cube to eat a ring, I'm stuck in that form?

Not unless you're unchanging, and I don't think gelatinous cubes have
enough form around the neck to put an amulet on. Just don't *eat* the
amulet.

Raisse, killed by a gelatinous cube

August 26, 2005 10:52:42 PM

>> I started this latest wizard with a ring of polymorph control and a wand
>> of polymorph.
>
> I thought that wasn't allowed?

Probably my mistake. Might have been teleport control I started with and
polymorph control I bought/found. Anyway I had them pretty early.

And of course 3 turns after I sent this rgrn message I polymorphed back into
an elf. :)

Cheers,
Ben
August 27, 2005 3:12:22 AM

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:

> Ben Kimball wrote:
>
>>I started this latest wizard with a ring of polymorph control and a wand
>>of polymorph.
>
> I thought that wasn't allowed?

No it shouldn't. Wizard gets blessed +1 quarterstaff, +0 cloack of magic
resistance, 1 wand, 2 rings, 3 potions, 3 scrolls, a spellbook of force
bolt, an additonal spellbook, 20% chance for magic marker and 20% chance
of blindfold in that order. No cursed items are generated in starting
inventory.

Restrictions on random objects that can be generated into initial
inventory are:

No wand of wishing, ring of levitation if elbereth is compiled in,
potion of hallucination or acid, scrolls of amnesia, fire or blank
paper, blank spellbook, ring of aggravate monster or hunger, a spellbook
higher than level 3 or restricted to the class,monks don't get scrolls
of enchant weapon nor wizards spellbook of force bolt (remember that
these restrictions are for random initial items).

In addition there are four restricted items that cannot be randomly
generated that are filled in during the item generation. They are all
strenge objects initially but are filled this way:

If a wand, a ring or a potion of polymorph is generated the fist
restricted item is ring of polymorph control.

If ring of polymorph control is created then first restricted item is
ring of polymorph, the second is spellbook of polymorph and third is
potion of polymorph.

If a ring was generatated then fourth restricted is that ring type and
same for spellbooks.

Remember that the code utilizes the order of item generation: wands are
generated before rings.

This reminds me about my project of annotating the NetHaclk sources.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> writes:
> Ben Kimball wrote:
[polymorphing and its duration]
>> If not, does that mean if I poly into a
>> gelatinous cube to eat a ring, I'm stuck in that form?
>
> Not unless you're unchanging, and I don't think gelatinous cubes have
> enough form around the neck to put an amulet on. Just don't *eat* the
> amulet.

Eating an amulet of unchanging will not give you unchanging but returns
you to your natural form; the spoiler amul-343.txt confirms this. This
was changed not too many versions ago, if I recall correctly.

Toni
--
# NB! You should replace ".invalid" with ".fi" when e-mailing me #

"Jos aivastan, koko seinä kaikuu." (Tommi Liimatta)
!