Are public nethack servers easier?

Just wondering if it is easier to win on a public server than on a
single user machine. I would think so, because I am guessing that there
is a much higher chance of bones files on a public server(?)

There may be a much higher chance of bones files on a public server,
but that would also mean there's a much higher chance of encountering
something that killed another player. So you can get mindflayers on
dlvl 5 even if it's your first time getting that deep.

However, public servers (at least nethack.alt.org) generally have
friendly, well-populated communities that you can go to for help. It's
a lot easier to ask for help by saying "I'm playing as FooRanger"
instead of "Well I have a scroll I think might be punishment" and so
on.

Finally, public servers may also have a little bit of lag between your
command and its results, so that may sway you one way or the other.

There are no doubt countless other reasons for and against public
servers but I don't want to ramble any more.

On 8/27/05 3:32 AM, Adamusan wrote:
> I am guessing that there is a much higher chance of bones files on a
> public server(?)

I think that's a myth. Yes, there are more players dying, and so
potentially leaving bones; on the other hand, there are more players to
pick up the bones once they're left. The chance of a particular player
receiving bones basically evens out. Moreover, servers with lots of
traffic are more likely to have players who can ascend, and who
therefore will be picking up bones and not leaving any behind. So on the
whole, I'd say the amount of bones a player is likely to get is actually
a bit *lower* than on a single-user platform.

(There's a spoiler out there somewhere that discusses this, but I don't
know where it is at the moment.)

--
Kevin Wayne

"Stark raving sane."
--Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

Kevin Wayne <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> writes:

> On 8/27/05 3:32 AM, Adamusan wrote:
> > I am guessing that there is a much higher chance of bones files on a
> > public server(?)
>
> I think that's a myth. Yes, there are more players dying, and so
> potentially leaving bones; on the other hand, there are more players to
> pick up the bones once they're left. The chance of a particular player
> receiving bones basically evens out. Moreover, servers with lots of
> traffic are more likely to have players who can ascend, and who
> therefore will be picking up bones and not leaving any behind. So on the
> whole, I'd say the amount of bones a player is likely to get is actually
> a bit *lower* than on a single-user platform.

Another effect is that you don't know what is in a bones file on a
public server.

When you leave your own bones, you will remember what your character was
carrying, so you know whether there are useful items, or at least items
that will be useful after you uncurse them. You will also know the
cause of death, and can decide whether to run away from something that
is still dangerous.

But when you find someone else's bones, you won't know whether his
long sword was -2 or +6, and you won't know that it is safe to stay on
the level or whether he was killed by a red dragon and you don't yet
have fire resistance or reflection.

--
David Grabiner, grabiner@alumni.princeton.edu, http://remarque.org/~grabiner
Baseball labor negotiations FAQ: http://remarque.org/~grabiner/laborfaq.html