Sign in with
Your question

Can you install windows7 update on a blank computer?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Computers
Last response: in Windows 7
January 25, 2013 6:47:24 PM

Hi,
I've heard many people saying you can install Windows 7 upgrade version straight onto an blank computer (just to be clear on what i'm saying, i mean a brand new computer that has never had an OS installed on it in its lifetime).

Everywhere i look they no longer sale the full version. They only sell the OEM version and the upgrade version.

More about : install windows7 update blank computer

a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 6:49:56 PM

Hi :) 

As its a brand new computer, put on the OEM ...

All the best Brett :) 
January 25, 2013 6:52:01 PM

Brett928S2 said:

As its a brand new computer, put on the OEM ...

can a member of the public do that? I thought it was for system builders only :S

Cheers
Related resources
January 25, 2013 6:53:55 PM

Yes, you can do that but you may have to buy qualifying hardware like a drive or something.

OEM would be your best bet. Upgrades are only valid if you have a previous version and it needs to be installed or you need to have the media for validation.
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 6:57:08 PM

Humble3 said:
can a member of the public do that? I thought it was for system builders only :S

Cheers

I am an OEM (I own computer shops in the UK), and technically you are correct, and I have moaned about normal users doing it for years, but at least you are trying to be legal and choosing 7 not 8...lol

a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 7:41:22 PM

you put your computer together therefore you are a system builder.

you dont need to buy it with a piece of hardware, that is just rubbish you can pick it up at many places, amazon included

the only real difference between oem and retail is you get more support with retail.

in my experience Microsoft support is **** anyway so why bother

(also helps because it keeps peoples local computer shops open to fix problems)
January 25, 2013 8:09:08 PM

shanky887614 said:
you put your computer together therefore you are a system builder.

you dont need to buy it with a piece of hardware, that is just rubbish you can pick it up at many places, amazon included

the only real difference between oem and retail is you get more support with retail.

in my experience Microsoft support is **** anyway so why bother

(also helps because it keeps peoples local computer shops open to fix problems)

Haha that is true probably just tell me to turn it off and on again...

Cheers mate :) 
!