Peaceful creatures, ring of conflict and alignment

If I make peaceful creatures hostile by wearing a ring of conflict,
do I still get an alignment penalty when killing them? Or if I just
wear the ring and let them kill each other? (can you guess I have
a level full of gremlins to go through? ;)

chlorine.

chlorine wrote:
> If I make peaceful creatures hostile by wearing a ring of conflict,
> do I still get an alignment penalty when killing them?

I asked the same question a little while ago, and the answer was yes
(yes, you get a penalty).

chlorine wrote:
> If I make peaceful creatures hostile by wearing a ring of conflict,
> do I still get an alignment penalty when killing them? Or if I just
> wear the ring and let them kill each other? (can you guess I have
> a level full of gremlins to go through? ;)

Wearing a ring of conflict doesn't make peaceful creatures
hostile. It just makes them attack things. If you take off the ring,
their peaceful nature will resume control, and they'll immediately stop
attacking. If you kill them, you're still killing peaceful creatures,
even if they're hitting you.

But you're not held responsible for anything other creatures do,
even if it's your ring of conflict that's inspiring them.

Big nasty pets will take care of gremlins quite adequately, too,
without necessitating the use of conflict.

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

chlorine wrote:

> If I make peaceful creatures hostile by wearing a ring of conflict,
> do I still get an alignment penalty when killing them? Or if I just
> wear the ring and let them kill each other? (can you guess I have
> a level full of gremlins to go through? ;)

I have one as well, and wearing a ring of conflict won't help.

If the level is full, there must be water there.

After a while, all gremlins will have duplicated into gremlins with one
HP each. As soon as one gets two HP, it will multiply.

Now, when one gremlin kills another one, the killer will raise in level,
thus gaining HP. That gremlin will multiply again, and you won't have
any less gremlins.

The only way is to kill them all yourself, which will be disastrous for
your alignment. I think this is a bug of sorts, since peaceful monsters
shouldn't be able to completely ruin a level.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> chlorine wrote:

>> (can you guess I have
>> a level full of gremlins to go through? ;)

> The only way is to kill them all yourself, which will be disastrous for
> your alignment.

You can also genocide them, or 'g' to get rid of gargoyles and winged
gargoyles as well. Genociding peaceful creatures doesn't do anything to
your alignment AFAIK.

Raisse, killed by a winged gargoyle

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in

> chlorine wrote:
>
>> If I make peaceful creatures hostile by wearing a ring of conflict,
>> do I still get an alignment penalty when killing them? Or if I just
>> wear the ring and let them kill each other? (can you guess I have
>> a level full of gremlins to go through? ;)
>
> I have one as well, and wearing a ring of conflict won't help.
>
> If the level is full, there must be water there.
>
> After a while, all gremlins will have duplicated into gremlins with one
> HP each. As soon as one gets two HP, it will multiply.
>
> Now, when one gremlin kills another one, the killer will raise in level,
> thus gaining HP. That gremlin will multiply again, and you won't have
> any less gremlins.
>
> The only way is to kill them all yourself, which will be disastrous for
> your alignment. I think this is a bug of sorts, since peaceful monsters
> shouldn't be able to completely ruin a level.

Makes me think of the need of the "disease spells" in crossfire - infectoin
by contact. Quite amazing to see it take effect, might be a solution here.

In article <NW0Qe.12408$Bc2.6984@trnddc06>, John Campbell says...
<need to kill lots of peaceful gremlins>
> Big nasty pets will take care of gremlins quite adequately, too,
> without necessitating the use of conflict.

An awkward alternative to the above very sensible solution for chlorine:

Get a fairly tough flying monster onto the level. Demons follow you up/down
stairs: water demons, vrock and foocubi could be good candidates.

Hide on E-word, don ring of conflict, let demon kill gremlins. Follow demon
to keep in conflict range - avoiding gremlins could be a problem here.

Now, would the gremlins multiply faster than demon killed them? Probably.
Zapping speed monster on the demon should help a bit. Keep healing it too.

"chlorine" <chlorine@free.fr> writes:
> If I make peaceful creatures hostile by wearing a ring of conflict,
> do I still get an alignment penalty when killing them?

Conflict doesn't make anything hostile. Conflict makes peaceful things
ignore their peaceful status when deciding whether to whack you (or
other nearby things).

A peaceful conflicted monster isn't mad at you; if you hit it back
it will _get_ angry, and if you kill it (directly) it still counts
against you.

> Or if I just wear the ring and let them kill each other? (can you
> guess I have a level full of gremlins to go through? ;)

If you happen to put on conflict and a peacful monster gets killed
by another monster, that isn't technically your fault, is it?

But yeah, gremlins are a pain. (I got 'em on the Medusa level
last night. Damn game.)

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> chlorine wrote:
>
> > If I make peaceful creatures hostile by wearing a ring of conflict,
> > do I still get an alignment penalty when killing them? Or if I just
> > wear the ring and let them kill each other? (can you guess I have
> > a level full of gremlins to go through? ;)
>
> I have one as well, and wearing a ring of conflict won't help.
>
> If the level is full, there must be water there.

Yes, it was the level with one the fake wizard's tower in gehennom.
Thinking of it, I didn't see gremlins on my way back up with the
amulet, this is weird... OK, the level wasn't absolutely full
with them, but there was a lot of them, so it is strange that
I did not notice them on the way back up. I had two pets at the
time, maybe they took care of them...

Andrew Kerr wrote:

> <need to kill lots of peaceful gremlins>

> Hide on E-word, don ring of conflict, let demon kill gremlins. Follow
> demon to keep in conflict range - avoiding gremlins could be a
> problem here.

To follow the demon, you have to leave Elbereth.

Also, not that this problem usually happens on Medusa or Juiblex' level,
since there's so much water there. Which makes it also difficult at
least to write Elbereth just anywhere.

> Now, would the gremlins multiply faster than demon killed them?
> Probably. Zapping speed monster on the demon should help a bit. Keep
> healing it too.

I don't think so. Both you and a demon will whack through them, since
they only have one HP. The problem is that killing 60 gremlins with one
HP each has a disastrous effect on your alignment, if you're chaotic.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:16:22 +0200, Raisse the Thaumaturge
<raisse@valdyas.org> wrote:

>Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
>> chlorine wrote:
>
>>> (can you guess I have
>>> a level full of gremlins to go through? ;)

>> The only way is to kill them all yourself, which will be disastrous for
>> your alignment.
>
>You can also genocide them, or 'g' to get rid of gargoyles and winged
>gargoyles as well. Genociding peaceful creatures doesn't do anything to
>your alignment AFAIK.

Data point: I've genocided gremlins for just that reason.
(As documented in my YAFAP thread.)

--
All the best,

Jove