Microsoft Intellimouse Compatibility

Jetter2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
Hello All. i currently have a Microsoft Optical Intellimouse. I am also running Windows 98SE. I have knoticed that in order to be able to use the side buttons, I must be running the intellipoint software. At school, we have the same mouses, but running with Windows XP. It seems that in Windows XP, the foward and backward buttons are still functional even without the intellipoint software. Is this true? I will be upgrading to Windows 2k soon and wonder if it offers the same level of compatibility with the mouse.

I found out my dad's free advice was worth half what I paid for it. -Justin

dhlucke

Polypheme
XP doesn't require a lot of things that the previous OS's needed to do "basic" operations. Pretty much everything is built in.

You'll find that installing drivers isn't the chore it used to be since a lot of drivers are built in. That's not to say that there aren't better drivers out there, but in the case of the mouse, you will be ok.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I have the cordless USB version of that mouse running XP. No need to load drivers. I beleive the same is true for 2000. It seems like most any USB device will just work with XP or 2000. ME, 98, and 95 need the drivers installed.

Logic goes away if it is not the first or seemingly obvious answer to a problem. :eek:

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
almost. 2K will handle the USB part, but if you want all the fancy wizbang features of the Intellimouse it needs the special install disk that came with it.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>