800MHz 133FSB CPU in a 100FSB Mobo????

G

I have a P3 350 which I need some more speed in, obviously... what I want to do is put a spare 800 MHz chip into it.... but here's the problem....

The Motherboard has 100MHz FSB and the P3 800 cpu runs at 133MHz FSB.. Is this a serious problem or not??

The Motherboard is capped at a 7.5x Core/Bus Ratio, so my math tells me only I can only go up to 750MHz cpu (the manufacturer says it can handle 1GHz).... where am I going wrong??

Just want to make sure my computer won't go up in a ball of smoke if I try :)

Thanks...

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
The cpu will just run slower thats all. It just won't run at 800.

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946</A>

G

Thanks...

I guess I can live with a little less speed rather than spending more cash on a new chip :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What motherboard? Intel processors have internal multipliers and are not usually limmited by the ability of the motherboard. In fact, they will always have the same multiplier no matter what you do with the motherboard settings. And most PIII capable motherboards support 133MHz FSB as well as 100. Furthermore, the PIII 800 is available with EITHER bus speed- the 800E has 100, the 800EB has 133.
But with prices being as they are, I recoment the 750 if you are definately stuck at 100MHz bus, or the 700 overclocked to 933 if your motherboard has support for the 133 bus speed. Which begs the question-what is your motherboard?

Video killed my Radio Card!

G

The Motherboard is a Supermicro P6SBA....

The CPU I have is a PIII 800 EB that runs at 133FSB...

The Motherboard does only run at 100, but I really don't think a 750 will be that much slower than the full 800..

I was just worried whether the differing bus speeds would cause a problem or not..

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You would essentially turn the 800EB into a 600E by running at 100MHz FSB. If you can take the 800EB back, I would do that. The 800E is an option, but the 750E is much cheaper, around $89 on pricewatch.

G

Thanks, for the help....

I can't take the 800 back because I have been using it in my computer for the past year.... I think I'll just tone it down and put it in my parent's computer to give them some more speed... then get myself a new 1GHz chip for my own pc...

Thanks for the help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You would need the special 1000E instead of the more common 1000EB in order to get the 10x multiplier needed to run full speed (10x100 as opposed to 7.5x133)

G

Actually, my computer runs at 133FSB.... That's why I had the 800EB in it..

It's my parent's computer that I built for them a few years back that can only run up to 100FSB...

Their PIII 350 was running a bit slow, so I thought I would just do a little swapping around, give me an excuse to make mine a bit faster :)

Thanks for all the posts..