YAFAP - My wizard who lost the Eye! :)

I can't believe what a mess the astral plane is!!!
Well admitedly I handled it wrong: I was unaware of the layout
of the place (first anteroom, second anteroom and then temple
for each alignment), so when I oppened the first door and saw
some priests of Moloch I figured I must be at the wrong place
and I headed elsewhere.
Elsewhere was another anteroom which I also thought might be
a temple, so I spent some time searching everywhere before
finding the door to the second anteroom. When I finally reached
the temple I was met by a priest of Toth, which was not my god,
so I figured I was in the wrong place and went back to the
first door I had opened, knowing now that the corresponding
altar was far from this door. But when I came before this
first door, I saw the '_' symbol for the temple of Toth I
had visited, and when I asked what it was, it told me it
was an 'aligned altar', which I misunderstood to be a coaligned
altar, so I went back there, discovered my mistake, went back
to the first door, and the correct altar was in the corresponding
temple.
Phew! So much travel for nothing!
I guess though I won't be afraid I ascended by finding the
correct altar quickly through sheer luck! :)

This ascension is due to a very lucky early bone file: some
time in the past, when I was playing spoiled but not spoiled
enough, I had tried to reverse genocide some nurses, but
I didn't know that I had to remove all armor and unwield my
weapon, so they quickly killed me.
This happened in a room with an upstairs and an altar, so
when I found the bone file all I had to do was get up as
soon as I spotted the nurses, remove my armor and come back
done. Elbereth was even written in the dust from the bone
file, so no nasty bothered me while the nurse rose my HP to
70 or so, while I was a level 4 wizard! :)
Of course, to go with such luck, the bones contained
Magicbane, and the altar was co-aligned. I was also lucky
to have started with create monster, which allowed me
to sacrifice and pray a lot to increase my HP and get spellbooks.

After that all went easily enough, except at the point I
made a stupid mistake and lost almost all of my stash
(including the Eye of Aethiopica) by a bag of holding and
wand of cancellation accident.

After that I did all I could to compensate for the lost of
the Eye, by increasing my spellpoints as much as I could with
potions of gain level and gain energy, and scrolls of charging.
I reached a total of a little more than 900 spell points.
I also took some scrolls of charging with me to use to get
back to my maximum, I only needed to use one in the astral
plane (I had to kill pestilence quite a number of times, and
I used the spell to save my wands).
I was counting on my four amulets of life saving as
substitutes for the Eye also, but in the end I didn't even
die once.
Reviewing my final inventory, I realize I never thought
of using the scrolls of taming I had brought, if I had I
might have made it more easily...

I'm really glad I could make it, but I still feel as a newbie
since this was my first character to actually go past the
first level of the quest. I guess I'll keep playing and try
to get the feel of other classes now. I'm really glad my
first ascension was with a wizard, because I really like this
class (and even more now that I've seen what a high-level
wizard is capable of)!

Thanks to everyone here and on #nethack on IRC for good
advice and good conversation! :)

chlorine

Below are the interesting (or least boring) parts of the engame
information:

Amulets
h - an uncursed amulet of life saving (being worn)
M - an uncursed amulet of magical breathing
Weapons
k - the blessed rustproof +2 Demonbane
r - the blessed rustproof +5 Dragonbane (weapon in hand)
Armor
z - an uncursed fireproof +4 pair of gauntlets of dexterity (being
worn)
B - an uncursed rustproof +5 helm of brilliance (being worn)
C - a blessed fireproof +4 pair of speed boots (being worn)
Q - a blessed +4 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)
S - a blessed fireproof +5 cloak of magic resistance (being worn)
X - an uncursed fireproof +3 T-shirt (being worn)
Comestibles
W - a cursed partly eaten food ration
Z - an uncursed food ration
Potions
t - an uncursed potion of extra healing
Rings
f - an uncursed ring of levitation
i - a blessed ring of free action (on right hand)
v - an uncursed ring of slow digestion (on left hand)
Wands
b - a wand of cold (0:3)
c - a wand of lightning (0:7)
l - a wand of teleportation (0:2)
m - a cursed wand of magic missile (0:6)
n - a wand of sleep (0:0)
p - a wand of cancellation (0:4)
G - a wand of cancellation (0:5)
H - a cursed wand of digging (0:7)
I - a cursed wand of sleep (0:6)
L - a cursed wand of death (0:3)
N - a wand of cancellation (0:2)
U - a cursed wand of slow monster (0:3)
Tools
a - 2 uncursed wax candles
d - a blessed greased bag of holding
e - a cursed greased sack named holy water
j - an uncursed magic whistle
x - an uncursed thoroughly rusty stethoscope
y - a magic marker (1:21)
A - an uncursed magic whistle
D - a +0 unicorn horn
R - an uncursed blindfold
V - the uncursed Candelabrum of Invocation (no candles attached)
Y - an uncursed skeleton key
Gems
g - a blessed touchstone
s - an uncursed luckstone

Contents of the bag of holding:

a +0 athame
<loads of wands>
a wand of death (0:4)
a wand of death (0:7)
an uncursed lizard corpse
an uncursed amulet of life saving
an uncursed amulet versus poison
6 uncursed scrolls of blank paper
2 uncursed tallow candles
a cursed wax candle
5 uncursed food rations
an uncursed lump of royal jelly
5 uncursed lembas wafers
13 uncursed food rations
(I didn't know how much food was needed to face Famine...)
a can of grease (0:18)
an uncursed +5 ring of protection
an uncursed ring of invisibility named nazgul
an uncursed ring of regeneration
9 blessed scrolls of remove curse
a blessed potion of gain energy
6 blessed scrolls of charging
2 blessed potions of full healing
5 blessed potions of extra healing
an uncursed amulet of life saving
a crystal ball (0:2)
a crystal ball (0:5)
an uncursed ring of polymorph control
an uncursed +2 ring of increase damage
a wand of wishing (0:1)
4 cursed scrolls of teleportation
an uncursed ring of conflict
an uncursed amulet of ESP
the blessed fireproof +5 Sting
an uncursed amulet of life saving
an uncursed thoroughly rusty +2 ring of protection
an uncursed ring of regeneration
3 blessed +0 daggers
3 +0 elven daggers
5 cursed tallow candles
a magic harp (0:8)
an uncursed leash

Contents of the sack named holy water:

2 blessed scrolls of remove curse
2 potions of holy water

Final Attributes:

You were the Glory of Arioch.
You were piously aligned.
You were fire resistant.
You were cold resistant.
You were sleep resistant.
You were disintegration-resistant.
You were shock resistant.
You were poison resistant.
You were magic-protected.
You were blinded.
You saw invisible.
You were telepathic.
You were warned.
You had infravision.
You were invisible to others.
You were stealthy.
You aggravated monsters.
You could teleport.
You had teleport control.
You had slower digestion.
You were protected.
You were very fast.
You had reflection.
You had free action.
Your life would have been saved.
You were extremely lucky.
You had extra luck.
Bad luck did not time out for you.
Good luck did not time out for you.
You survived.

Vanquished creatures:

Asmodeus
Orcus
Yeenoghu
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (9 times)
(I think I might have done something wrong here, 9 times seems
quite a lot...)
Pestilence (5 times)
Famine (8 times)
a high priest
3 mastodons
Medusa
Croesus

5342 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species:

chickatrices
cockatrices
pyrolisks
winged gargoyles
hobbits
dwarves
bugbears
dwarf lords
dwarf kings
mind flayers
master mind flayers
rothes
mumakil
leocrottas
wumpuses
titanotheres
baluchitheria
mastodons
baby gray dragons
baby silver dragons
baby red dragons
baby white dragons
baby orange dragons
baby black dragons
baby blue dragons
baby green dragons
baby yellow dragons
gray dragons
silver dragons
red dragons
white dragons
orange dragons
black dragons
blue dragons
green dragons
yellow dragons
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches
rust monsters
disenchanters
umber hulks
jellyfish
piranhas
sharks
giant eels
electric eels
krakens

49 species genocided.
(This is childish but I'm glad I genocide that much, I guess
extintionist is a conduct that appeals to me!)

Voluntary challenges:

You genocided 49 types of monsters.
You used 4 wishes.
You did not wish for any artifacts.

Goodbye chlorine the Demigoddess...

You went to your reward with 5180258 points,
Sting (worth 800 zorkmids and 2000 points)
Demonbane (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
Dragonbane (worth 500 zorkmids and 1250 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
4 amulets of life saving (worth 600 zorkmids),
1 amulet of ESP (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet versus poison (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of magical breathing (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 108854 moves.
You were level 30 with a maximum of 388 hit points when you ascended.

900 spell points

You made the top ten list!

No Points Name
Hp [max]
1 5180258 chlorine-Wiz-Elf-Fem-Cha ascended to
demigoddess-hood.
224 [388]
2 81807 chlorine-Val-Dwa-Fem-Law died in The Dungeons of Doom
on level 15 [max 18]. Killed by an invisible
arch-lich called Ou-es-tu.
- [124]

My highest score is more than 40 times my second highest! :)

I just ascended today also so I gotta say congrats! How long have you
been playing NetHack for?

In article <1125247226.418993.218170@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
chlorine says...
<snip YAFAP>

Congratulations!

Personally I bless large stacks of comestibles to prevent the 1/7 chance of
fainting. It's also possible to get lembas wafers and the like by
polypiling blessed meatballs.

"chlorine" <chlorine@free.fr> wrote:
>I can't believe what a mess the astral plane is!!!

snip snip

> Hp [max]
> 1 5180258 chlorine-Wiz-Elf-Fem-Cha ascended to
> demigoddess-hood.

Congratulations! You sure did spend a lot of time in the astral plane, since
you killed
Pestilence and Famine so many times. Hope you had nice time hanging there.
No Baalzebub on the kill list? Well, to be honest I skipped both Asmodeus
and
Baalzebub on my first time. You sure did play it safe with the genociding.
Just like me,
I like to genocide everything that can insta-kill me. Nice score by the way,
higher than my
highest. Congratulations.

chlorine wrote:

> Goodbye chlorine the Demigoddess...

Wow! Congratulations!

Raisse, killed by the Wizard of Yendor

Stimp Mast wrote:
> I just ascended today also so I gotta say congrats! How long have you
> been playing NetHack for?

Thanks!
Congrats to you too, ascending in six months of play seems quite fast!
I've been playing more or less regularly for two or three years I
guess,
but have begun to play more seriously (and more spoiled) and asking
for advice here and on #nethack for about three months.

chlorine wrote:
> I can't believe what a mess the astral plane is!!!

Yeah, I just had my 3rd post-Quest death ever from losing track of HP
on the Astral plane. I had about 20 potions of full healing, 7 amulets
of life saving, and numerous other ways to get out of it. Just
negligent. :-(

> file, so no nasty bothered me while the nurse rose my HP to
> 70 or so, while I was a level 4 wizard! :)

That's handy.

> a bag of holding and wand of cancellation accident.

That's not.

> I'm really glad I could make it, but I still feel as a newbie
> since this was my first character to actually go past the
> first level of the quest.

Well, the pre-Quest portion is by far harder than the post-Quest
portion of the game.

> I guess I'll keep playing and try to get the feel of other classes now.
> I'm really glad my first ascension was with a wizard, because
> I really like this class (and even more now that I've seen what a
> high-level wizard is capable of)!

Wizards are probably the toughest class at high levels, but one of the
harder ones in the early game.

If you're planning on ascending everything, I might recommend a
combat-wombat next just so you don't use up all the "different" classes
early on.

Personally I had the most fun with wizard, archaeologist, and tourist.
I'm working on a monk now, seems interesting.

> 5 uncursed lembas wafers
> 13 uncursed food rations

K-rations are preferred over food rations, since they only take one
turn to eat. Usually you have tons of them by the end of the game.

> an uncursed +5 ring of protection

Nice.

> a crystal ball (0:2)
> a crystal ball (0:5)

Heavy. I would've left these at home.

> Contents of the sack named holy water:

Smart. I never remember to do this, I carry a /ofCancellation which I
guess covers the base here.

> The Wizard of Yendor (9 times)
> (I think I might have done something wrong here, 9 times seems
> quite a lot...)

I've done everything from 2 to 13.

> Pestilence (5 times)
> Famine (8 times)

Those seem high, though.

> 49 species genocided.
> (This is childish but I'm glad I genocide that much, I guess
> extintionist is a conduct that appeals to me!)

I wouldn't geno "D" the scales are nice and black dragons can be handy.

> You were level 30 with a maximum of 388 hit points when you ascended.

Congrats!

BManx2000 wrote:
> sjdevnull@yahoo.com wrote:
> > K-rations are preferred over food rations, since they only take one
> > turn to eat. Usually you have tons of them by the end of the game.
>
> Note, however, that lembas wafers are better than K-rations. In one turn
> of eating a lembas wafer (which is half of it), you get as much
> nutrition as eating a K-ration. They also weigh less than K-rations.

OTOH, you are stuck eating for 2 turns when you eat a lembas wafer
(unless you get interrupted). I prefer K-rations for the late-game
(Famine), but in general lembas wafers are a better food source.

In article <1125331690.932826.43240@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
sjdevnull@yahoo.com says...
> Wizards are probably the toughest class at high levels, but one of the
> harder ones in the early game.

That sentence is somewhat open to interpretation ;) "Tough" and "hard"
could both either refer to game difficulty or the strength of the
character.

But I'm sure we all know what you meant.

chlorine <chlorine@free.fr> wrote:
> The Wizard of Yendor (9 times)
> (I think I might have done something wrong here, 9 times seems
> quite a lot...)

Nah - my record is 16 on my first ascension! And I'm sure that's
not the most anyone's ever done. On my most recent ascension I only had
to whack him four times, though.

I know what you mean about suddenly getting much farther with a
character once you reach a certain level (the Quest, Gehennom, etc.)
I'd played for a few years without ever reaching Gehennom, but once I
did, suddenly I was reaching it much more often and ascended shortly
thereafter. Of course, lately I seem to have fallen back. :-/

Anyway, congratulations! It's a great feeling, isn't it?

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

sjdevnull@yahoo.com wrote:
> chlorine wrote:
> > I can't believe what a mess the astral plane is!!!
>
> > 5 uncursed lembas wafers
> > 13 uncursed food rations
>
> K-rations are preferred over food rations, since they only take one
> turn to eat. Usually you have tons of them by the end of the game.

Oh, I didn't know that K-rations took only one turn to eat, I'll
definitely consider bringing some on my next ascension run.
Though there were so much monsters on the astral plane that I could
only eat the one and a half ration I had to eat one turn at a time,
so...

> > a crystal ball (0:2)
> > a crystal ball (0:5)
>
> Heavy. I would've left these at home.

I had brought them in case I needed them to locate the portals
in the plane (which I didn't, scrolls of gold detection where
enough), and forgot to ditch them on the astral plane (I have
actually been stupid enough to ditch all my wands of digging
in trying to get unburdened, but not the crystal balls...)

> > 49 species genocided.
> > (This is childish but I'm glad I genocide that much, I guess
> > extintionist is a conduct that appeals to me!)
>
> I wouldn't geno "D" the scales are nice and black dragons can be handy.

I genocided D only on the astral plane, I had brought a few blessed
scrolls of genocide I had found no use of till then. I thing I
blessed benocided 'D' and 'q' on the astral plane, then wrote another
uncursed scroll of genocide when I decided that titans were a severe
pain. Now I know what happens when you try to genocide a non
genocidable type of monster ! :)
I also learn that titans can be tamed shortly after this, to my
great relief.

> > You were level 30 with a maximum of 388 hit points when you ascended.
>
> Congrats!

Thanks.

chlorine

In article <1125409797.261871.55130@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, chlorine
says...
> I also learn that titans can be tamed shortly after this, to my
> great relief.

Decent pets too - can use weapons, some armour and self heal.