Sign in with
Your question

Please HELP! Registry issues

Last response: in Windows 7
January 25, 2013 10:26:18 PM

Okay. So my initial issue was a usb 3.0 drive not working with usb 3.0 devices. The forum post is here

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/296615-32-passport-re...

As you can see it wasn't resolved. As I searched further, I found that my driver wasn't changing after running the latest driver updates. I have a sony vaio, so i talked to sony support, gave them control, and watched them attempt the same fixes. Of course they ran into the same issue of the driver not updating properly.

So the support guy downloaded "PSTool" (premium services tool?) which supposively scanned my computer to find out how it was performing and to find any conflicts. At the end of the check, the support analyst (a new one) introduced himself as a technical engineer and said that the registry was corrupted. The program said (with problems bolded):

Performance Scan powered by iolo®
Internet Speed - Your Internet configuration is not optimized for maximum speed
Memory Levels - No problems found
Startup Speed - No problems found
Registry Errors - Your computer has 209 registry problems
Drive Corruption - Errors were detected on your system drive
Security Holes - Your computer has 13 repairable security vulnerabilities
System Clutter - Your computer has 987.56 MB of system clutter
Internet Clutter - Your computer has 195.36 MB of system clutter

Shortcuts Check - No problems found

He then said the fix would be $119.98! It was a guarantee fix with a refund if it didn't work, so i'm sure he could have fixed it, but I don't have $119.98 floating around. Who does?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could do this fix myself? Any and all help would be wonderful.

More about : registry issues

a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 10:38:19 PM

What...this sounds...illegitimate..

What model is VIAO is this?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 10:39:46 PM

Oh dear, gotta love salesmen.
Get the latest CCleaner and run registry scan. Make sure you save the backup when asked, before proceeding with repairs after the scan is done.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2013 10:46:03 PM

VPCF13WFX is the model number of the VAIO.

CCleaner eh? I'll give that a whirl.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 11:09:03 PM

It is normal to have registry errors, you are being conned. Your problem has nothing to do with the registry errors. The original problem may be due to problems with your USB3 drivers upper and lower filters or could be a hardware fault
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 11:22:46 PM

often drives disappearing is cause by the upper and lower filters being erased. this is often the case when you install a newer o.s that wasnt released for your hardware. typically the issue is found on xp issued machines running windows 7 so at a guess you have recently upgraded your o.s and you now find your hardware is disappearing randomly.
if this is the case all you can do is switch back to the original o.s that the lappy shipped with.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 11:53:02 PM

Darthbill said:
Okay. So my initial issue was a usb 3.0 drive not working with usb 3.0 devices. The forum post is here

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/296615-32-passport-re...

As you can see it wasn't resolved. As I searched further, I found that my driver wasn't changing after running the latest driver updates. I have a sony vaio, so i talked to sony support, gave them control, and watched them attempt the same fixes. Of course they ran into the same issue of the driver not updating properly.

So the support guy downloaded "PSTool" (premium services tool?) which supposively scanned my computer to find out how it was performing and to find any conflicts. At the end of the check, the support analyst (a new one) introduced himself as a technical engineer and said that the registry was corrupted. The program said (with problems bolded):

Performance Scan powered by iolo®
Internet Speed - Your Internet configuration is not optimized for maximum speed
Memory Levels - No problems found
Startup Speed - No problems found
Registry Errors - Your computer has 209 registry problems
Drive Corruption - Errors were detected on your system drive
Security Holes - Your computer has 13 repairable security vulnerabilities
System Clutter - Your computer has 987.56 MB of system clutter
Internet Clutter - Your computer has 195.36 MB of system clutter

Shortcuts Check - No problems found

He then said the fix would be $119.98! It was a guarantee fix with a refund if it didn't work, so i'm sure he could have fixed it, but I don't have $119.98 floating around. Who does?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could do this fix myself? Any and all help would be wonderful.

I have to agree with the majority that while Performance Scan may be a tool that they use, but the charge associated was simply a marketing gimmick. I did a Google search for Performance Scan by Iolo and sure enough, no such program exists. They only have System Shield & Anti-virus and System Mechanic.

CCleaner is a good free alternative to handle your junk files and your registry issues. You can also try System Mechanic by iolo if you want. I use it at home and it does wonders if you start noticing some slow downs.
m
l
January 27, 2013 10:21:28 PM

I ran the CCleaner to clean the registry to find no change. The usb 3.0 driver still won't display the update after installing it and my usb 3.0 external hard drive still isn't seen (as explained in the other forum I linked).

Edogawa: That is the place where i've been getting the device drivers from. After I run the executable and restart the computer, I go check the device manager and check the usb 3.0 hosts properties and it says it is still at the previous version.

Hexit: I haven't upgraded my OS from a previous version. I bought this laptop with windows 7 64bit on it.

Any other suggestions on what I can attempt to make the usb 3.0 work?
m
l
!