• CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
July 18, 2001 6:33:56 PM

I do not want 1.800 ghz or 2.200 ghz. 256kb

I WANT 950 mhz or 1.200 ghz. 2mb or 4mb

and a rock stable mobo, not a new one
every 3 months....

most of the new DDR boards are JUNK...
out of 200 we get 65 to 80 need to be sent back...

will amd add more L1 and L2 ??????When????

Intel inside
Moron outside

More about : happy thunderchicken

July 18, 2001 7:41:00 PM

Umm...your post is really confusing, sorry. I'll try to answer it as I understand it.

The Abit KG7 is most likely going to be a stable board. It's Abit, after all. Only review for it I've seen has been not quite overwhelmingly positive.

AMD isn't planning on adding more cache last time I heard. More L2 would be nice, but they have way more L1 than Intel, so they're sitting pretty.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:
July 18, 2001 7:51:50 PM

if you want that kind of cache your gonna have to trade an arm and a leg for a Xeon from intel. I'm not 100% sure but I think the most cache on a Xeon is 2 mb.
Pretty any motherboard for Thunderbird that has the AMD761 Chipset is a winner, as long as its from the major brand names, Asus, msi, epox, Abit, Gigabyte, chaintech, and a few others I know I'm forgetting.
They give stable performance and won't break your bank, not to mention they are FAST!
I can't wait for my 1.4 and Epox board to arrive so I can overclock
*grin*
Related resources
July 18, 2001 7:58:41 PM

i think the P3 is coming out soon with 512kb L2

It would be nice to get back to a real singel cpu work station...

ok i can dream of 1mb L2....

THANKS........

Intel inside
Moron outside
July 18, 2001 8:00:41 PM

Umm ... just out of curiosity, why would you say you want things that Intel offers and AMD doesn't, and then have an autosignature that puts down Intel?

<pre><font color=orange>Sunnova</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Beach</font color=blue>, <i>ain't life a beach?</i></pre><p>
July 18, 2001 8:03:58 PM

I think it'll be interesting to get CPUs that have 512k-2mb of L2 cache, and 5-15 megs of L3 cache or what ever was being thrown around as an idea when CPUs go to .13 micron process. Because of extra die space the big CPU giants were thinking of putting on L3 cache because its cheap and would boost performance
July 18, 2001 8:08:43 PM

Gigabyte & Fic = 40%
The biostar MIA Just got here monday and out 68 /0 bad.

Intel inside
Moron outside
July 18, 2001 8:31:18 PM

I do not Like intel because they try to run all the standards for mobos/video/mem/
.i do like the xeon,
it would be great but no singel cpu boards can be made,
and did't thay drop the high L1 on the new 370socket xeons.
Ie. what the *6%&#@ is the CNR and AMR good for,
when some one comes in with 5 x rack p pro and wants to upgrade he needs a big loan... all needs to be new ?? why,
no ISA slots.....
.Do you know some would like at least 1 ISA... we have 5 new AMR modems for 9 months and you cant
give them away.... so go for it intel lets get out the dart board and make up some new slots today..........
SORRY I HAVE TO RANT....

Intel inside
Moron outside
July 18, 2001 8:42:06 PM

Quote:
i think the P3 is coming out soon with 512kb L2

You're talking about the Tualatin, Intel's .13 micron P3. It looks for all the world like they're not going to release it anyway, but who knows.

And I agree, all the AMR/CNR/ACR slots are a joke.

-----------------
July 18, 2001 8:55:56 PM

AMR/CNR/ACR slots are definately a joke. But then so are ISA slots in a computer these days. Besides there being such difficulty actually finding ISA cards these days, they're also slow pieces of drek.

What we need is some new form factor that is better than PCI to take the lead and for motherboards to have something like 4 better than PCI slots, 1 shared better/PCI, and 1 PCI.

Honestly, even PCI is just too slow of a bus architecture for today's CPUs and memory.

<pre><font color=orange>Sunnova</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Beach</font color=blue>, <i>ain't life a beach?</i></pre><p>
July 18, 2001 9:07:29 PM

The only place I have ever seen an AMR slot used was in an e-machine. This seems to be the place an AMR would be of most use, since it saves money so you can sell the computer for $400. But putting an AMR slot on a new high end motherboard like the one on my A7V133 is just stupid. I wonder if there is a single person with my board that actually uses that slot?

That oughta void your warrenty!
July 18, 2001 9:15:26 PM

What Intel has got to do is figure our how to make cache memory at a decent price. The Itanium processors run over $5,500 dollars for a 2MB cache update. That’s nuts. Cache can’t cost anywhere near that much to manufacture.

- I got a board too: http://www.impactsites2000.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonbo...
July 18, 2001 9:50:01 PM

A lot think the ISA Slot is dumb....
but the old hardware modem isa can not be matched
for he that lives in the sticks and still has crapy isp.
and that would be 87% of the putters we sell...
a bad word here is 3com pci will not work....
sold a asus 1.3 last week came back had to use USB hard/modem.....
the board makers think that every one lives 900 ft.
away from DSL/cable....
hell some 12 to 100 mi. in WY.MT.
that is alot of phone line.....

Intel inside
Moron outside
July 19, 2001 12:45:06 AM

Let's see if i can interpret this properly:

Combined failure rate for Gigabyte and FIC motherboards is 40%.

Failure rate for the Biostar motherboards is 68%.

My own experiences:

FIC is crap. You couldn't even <i>give</i> me a FIC mobo. I've seen way too many of those things fail, be they AMD, VIA, or Intel chipsets.

DFI/ITOX tends to be crap.

Biostar is a no-name company; I only heard of them as they were one of the first to make Athlon mobos. If they're not crap, they're certainly nothing special.

I have only one experience with Gigabyte, and it was initially somewhat less than perfect. It's rock-solid now, but the thing wouldn't even complete POST until I hand-picked IRQs for all devices.

EPoX is good and inexpensive. My dual PII450 box (now a development crashbox) runs flawlessly off an EPoX BX mobo. My first Athlon mobo was an EPoX KX133, and it worked perfectly once I got some decent RAM.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."
July 19, 2001 5:22:09 PM

Watch it. I have an ISA slot on my motherboard (KT7a-RAID). But I don't use it, and don't plan to.

I agree PCI is getting a bit outdated. I would LOVE to see AMR/CNR/ACR actually make something of themselves and the manufaturers produce some good products for them, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

-----------------
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2001 5:30:13 PM

lay off the crack
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 19, 2001 5:32:02 PM

Not so dumb! I have a scsi controlled scanner running of that ISA slot. Its still a good scanner too.

:smile: Too damn hot in that kitchen!
July 19, 2001 8:45:57 PM

I'm not saying that old is worthless. I'm just saying ISA is SLOW for a computer these days. For things like a modem with it's whopping 56k speeds to begin with, slow isn't a worry. For things like a scanner with it's of so amazing scan speed, slow again isn't a worry.

However, one soon runs out of reasons to keep using ISA when PCI works just as well. I haven't yet run across any bad PCI modems. (Not that I've tried to mind you.) Granted, I've burned a few out, but then it's not my fault that the phone cables are so crappy that a barely audable lightning storm many miles away can cause my phone to ring.

Thank goodness most hardware vendors will fix/replace your modem when you tell then that one day it just failed to detect a dial tone. Yay factory warantees!

Needless to say, my modem never has a phone line plugged in to it unless I'm actually online, and I've gotten quite adept at removing the burned-out fuses in surge protectors and replacing them. Heh heh.

July 19, 2001 8:53:08 PM

I wasn't serious, don't worry. I'd be perfectly happy without an ISA slot, except that it's kinda cool :) 

-----------------
July 20, 2001 2:50:03 PM

I know you weren't serious. :) 

It's just funny (sad?) how many people still like ISA. Let the technology die, I say. It's old. It needs a rest. :) 

July 20, 2001 5:05:07 PM

Yeah, put it out to pasture so the junior highers down the road can shoot paintballs at it.

-----------------
July 20, 2001 5:31:34 PM

lol you never heard of 64 bit 66mhz pci slots!? or the new PCI-X slot with 2Gigabits/s bandwidth (just was announced 2 days ago)? the reason why no mobo has 64bit 66mhz pci slots besides server boards is because thre is no use for them yet. wait until next year.. they'll be in your desktop for sure

:) 

My sig is better then your's!
July 20, 2001 5:33:43 PM

lol .. it's expensive because the itanium is new for one and the itanium is meant for the corporate industry that has 5500 dollars to blow away! how do you think intel makes money? by ripping off the corporate industry duh!

My sig is better then your's!
July 20, 2001 6:12:58 PM

Quote:
However, one soon runs out of reasons to keep using ISA when PCI works just as well. I haven't yet run across any bad PCI modems. (Not that I've tried to mind you.)

Exactly, you have not tried to run into any bad pci modems, so how can you make a judgement call about whether PCI modems are better than Hardware driven ISA modems?

I myself have installed over the years at least 500 - 600 modems, whether it be PCI or ISA...I will tell you that the one who started this thread is right 3com PCI modems send me shivering, because of the countless problems they give. I have had problems with most PCI modems, they are difficult to configure and not even close to as fast or stable as a good Rockwell Chipset ISA modem (those are the best 56k modems, plug em in and go).

My System: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417&lt;/A>
July 20, 2001 6:22:21 PM

Quote:
It's just funny (sad?) how many people still like ISA. Let the technology die, I say. It's old. It needs a rest. :) 

It is true, most things are perform better on PCI than ISA, because it is double the bus-width, but for 56k modems, which still more than 80% of the people in the world use (not everyone is as well off as the Americans and Canadians where almost all cities have some form of high-speed connection). Modems are garbage on PCI, so until they come out with a better product they should continue to put at least 1 ISA slot on the boards. Maybe, they should invest in either a way to deliver high-speed DSL out into the country or develop the CNR/ACR slots and modems for them.

My System: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=9417&lt;/A>
July 20, 2001 6:24:05 PM

Quote:
I will tell you that the one who started this thread is right 3com PCI modems send me shivering, because of the countless problems they give.

I'll give you one guess to tell me what's wrong with that statement :)  I'll give you a hint: re-read the first post in this thread.

-----------------
July 20, 2001 6:32:59 PM

Quote:
Pretty any motherboard for Thunderbird that has the AMD761 Chipset is a winner, as long as its from the major brand names, Asus, msi, epox, Abit, Gigabyte, chaintech, and a few others I know I'm forgetting.
They give stable performance and won't break your bank, not to mention they are FAST!

Yes, the AMD761 chipset is a great Northbridge chipset is fast and has not bad stability (for a non-intel chipset), but you are forgetting that it is not entirely AMD. In actuality, the Southbridge is the VIA VT82C686B and that chipset is *cough* garbage and causes lots of conflicts and grief and not to mention it has the most horrible architecture ever. But, yes the boards using this AMD760 chipset are the best DDR Athlon boards you are gonna get. I would suggest waiting for the Abit KG7-Raid board or getthe Asus A7M266.

Either way, nothing has beat the good old rock-solid 440BX and until that time comes my system will be the way it is, never crashed ever since I put it together and has never been turned off, except to upgrade.

July 20, 2001 6:33:58 PM

do you have any idea how much the prices would rise compared to performance... and i DO want 2200 mhz with 256kb of cache... for a gaming machine it wont make much difference... for a server on the other hand... if you have 4 megs of cache then prices will begin to look more like the itanium...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
July 20, 2001 6:36:43 PM

ummmm....FatBurger...take a look at this quote..
Quote:
A lot think the ISA Slot is dumb....
but the old hardware modem isa can not be matched
for he that lives in the sticks and still has crapy isp.
and that would be 87% of the putters we sell...
a bad word here is 3com pci will not work....

Now, do you think he likes hardware ISA modems or PCI Win Modems?

July 20, 2001 6:47:44 PM

Ok, I thought you meant the first post of this thread (since he's talking about CPUs, not modems). Never mind then.

-----------------
July 20, 2001 6:56:10 PM

And Owl is the source for much confusion. At least at the beginning.

-----------------
July 21, 2001 11:47:42 AM

i thought the asus a7m266 runs on the ali magik 1 chipset...
anyway, IMHO, the best performing mobo on the amd760 is the msi k7 master...

btw, IMHO again, the ali magik 1 chipset is a worthy competitor to the amd760 chipset, and most important it doesn't really contain the crappy via southbridge :) 

Athlon... Duron... Xeon... What A GoOd RhYmE...
!