Gehennom entrance type

Last response: in Video Games
August 30, 2005 6:48:29 PM

This newbie has now plucked up courage to propel one of his characters
(a tourist) into Gehennom, and found that the entrance was at the end of
a single tile width corridor preceded by several traps. Hence it was
difficult-well tedious anyway-to magic whistle all his army of some 20
pets along.

Q. ? Is this the typical or invariable Gehennom entrance and if so is it
made thus to make pet armies difficult to use ?

More about : gehennom entrance type

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 7:19:47 PM

Tom Goodman <tovmas@hotmail.com> wrote:
[twisty trapped corridor to the stairs in the valley]
>Q. ? Is this the typical or invariable Gehennom entrance and if so is it
>made thus to make pet armies difficult to use ?

It is invariable. I have no idea what the motivation is.
\_\/_/ meteorites are outta sight but this one's place is in outer space
\ / if you wanna know i'll tell you why it's cause radiation makes you die
\/ -- Zombina and the Skeletones, "Meteorite"
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:24:02 PM

Tom Goodman <tovmas@hotmail.com> writes:

> (a tourist) into Gehennom, and found that the entrance was at the end of
> a single tile width corridor preceded by several traps. Hence it was
> Q. ? Is this the typical or invariable Gehennom entrance and if so is it

Yes it is. It's always the same, only the trap types are random.

> made thus to make pet armies difficult to use ?

The Devteam only know whether or not they had pet armies in mind when
designing the Valley..

--
Jukka Lahtinen
Anonymous

Jukka Lahtinen <jslnews@despammed.com> wrote:
>Tom Goodman <tovmas@hotmail.com> writes:
>> made thus to make pet armies difficult to use ?
>
>The Devteam only know whether or not they had pet armies in mind when
>designing the Valley..

It's been like that since 3.1 at least, and Team Meatshield was a much
less common phenomenon back then.
\_\/_/ meteorites are outta sight but this one's place is in outer space
\ / if you wanna know i'll tell you why it's cause radiation makes you die
\/ -- Zombina and the Skeletones, "Meteorite"
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:15:56 PM

In article <df1o3f$bmb$1@news.freedom2surf.net>, Tom Goodman says...
> Hence it was
> difficult-well tedious anyway-to magic whistle all his army of some 20
> pets along.

Twenty? I've never had more than five (albeit well equipped). More than
that just seemed more effort than it was worth.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 12:35:48 AM

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:48:29 +0100, Tom Goodman
<tovmas@hotmail.com> wrote:

>This newbie has now plucked up courage to propel one of his characters
>(a tourist) into Gehennom, and found that the entrance was at the end of
>a single tile width corridor preceded by several traps. Hence it was
>difficult-well tedious anyway-to magic whistle all his army of some 20
>pets along.
>
>Q. ? Is this the typical or invariable Gehennom entrance and if so is it
>made thus to make pet armies difficult to use ?

If you lead the wraiths down into Gehennom they are much more
likely to leave corpses when destroyed. (Ditto for Giant
mummies/zombies.) Luckily, the wraiths are not affected by any
of the traps.

Leading the wraiths, etc. upstairs is easier for the right-hand
graveyard. But then you have to lead them up to the next level
(above the Castle) before they have a greater tendency to leave
corpses. In that case the four trap doors into the VotD (or the
long water paths) have the same effect as the traps and curlicue
on the way to the downstairs from the VotD.

For those with the patience (and levitation/jumping/scrolls of
earth to deal with the pit traps on the way to the downstairs
from the VotD) this is a great way to gain about ten experience
levels.

Level-drain resistance, e.g. Stormbringer, or high magic
cancellation are highly recommended. Stealth and care are
recommended so non-wraiths can be killed off before waking
the wraiths. Visibility may be vital for leading wraiths, I
don't know: I've never tried it while invisible.
Experience leading pets is useful for leading wraiths.
Telepathy/ESP/skilled spell of detect monsters are very useful
when leading wraiths. The first two especially when blinded.
Sleep resistance for the sleeping gas trap is probably required
unless you have level-drain resistance.

Max your constitution (rings) and wisdom (HoB) before eating
the wraith corpses to maximize Hp/Pwr gained with experience
gain. This works even if your character is already at experience
level 30. (Note that the Orb of Fate's half-damage ability
effectively doubles the Hp gains.)

Note that the pits on the way to the VotD downstairs require
two scrolls of earth to fill them both (or very good luck with
a wand of teleport.) #Jumping them requires they be lit and your
character be non-blinded.

The convoluted, heavily trapped way down discourages leading
both pets and wraiths down. Although pets much less so with a
magic whistle. Having to go up and extra level discourages
leading wraiths up, while having no effect on leading pets up.

Rgrn's general attitude of "keep character levels low" tends to
discourage acts of this kind. (Although that may be changing.)

The devteam's attitude toward this I cannot speak to. Although
I care about what the DevTeam thinks as much as they care about
what I think. Possibly more. ;^D

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 2:34:50 AM

Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> Tom Goodman <tovmas@hotmail.com> writes:

>> Q. ? Is this the typical or invariable Gehennom entrance and [...]

> Yes it is. It's always the same, only the trap types are random.

They're not. They're two pits and one sleeping gas trap, from the temple
to the stairs, in that order, invariable.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 2:10:00 PM

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
> Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> > Tom Goodman <tovmas@hotmail.com> writes:

> >> Q. ? Is this the typical or invariable Gehennom entrance and [...]
> > Yes it is. It's always the same, only the trap types are random.

> They're not. They're two pits and one sleeping gas trap, from the temple
> to the stairs, in that order, invariable.

Do you say they are the ONLY traps between the Valley temple and the
downstairs? I am almost sure I have sometimes had a magic trap there.

--
Jukka Lahtinen
Anonymous

Jukka Lahtinen <jslnews@despammed.com> writes:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
> > Jukka Lahtinen wrote:

> > > Yes it is. It's always the same, only the trap types are random.
>
> > They're not. They're two pits and one sleeping gas trap, from the temple
> > to the stairs, in that order, invariable.
>
> Do you say they are the ONLY traps between the Valley temple and the
> downstairs? I am almost sure I have sometimes had a magic trap there.

There are two magic traps and two anti-magic fields randomly placed
on the Valley level; the random placement may put them in that corridor.

: "Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both :
: 'No' and 'Yes' and 'Try another newsgroup'." :
: -- Usenet Rule 17. :
!