Sign in with
Your question

ATI drivers verified as the problem, what now?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 25, 2013 11:55:40 PM

Hey guys, i recently ran "Verifier.exe" and had been experiencing issues with Windows crashing while verifier was turned on.
i had a guy instinct that the ATI drivers were the cause of the crash, so i ran verifier and selected to only test the 3 ATI drivers

"atihdw76.sys"
"atikmdag.sys"
"atikmpag.sys"

As as soon as i restarted and logged into windows the screen turned into a glitchy artifact ridden screen. So im fairly certain those 3 drivers have been causing my BSOD's but im unsure on what i should do next to fix them.
Can you guys help me out
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 12:03:26 AM

Hi :) 

You realise how old that program is (around 12 years) ...???

Update your ATI drivers for your graphics card....and forget that old bit of junk...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 12:04:37 AM

Bettyalso said:
Hey guys, i recently ran "Verifier.exe" and had been experiencing issues with Windows crashing while verifier was turned on.
i had a guy instinct that the ATI drivers were the cause of the crash, so i ran verifier and selected to only test the 3 ATI drivers

"atihdw76.sys"
"atikmdag.sys"
"atikmpag.sys"

As as soon as i restarted and logged into windows the screen turned into a glitchy artifact ridden screen. So im fairly certain those 3 drivers have been causing my BSOD's but im unsure on what i should do next to fix them.
Can you guys help me out

Have you updated the drivers recently or did it just start doing this?

Download GPU-Z, or HWInfo, to see what the temps are on your card and see if it could be masked by the files indicated as the source.
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2013 12:04:48 AM

All my drivers are updated, theyre at the current one.
im not sure whats wrong :( 
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 12:09:30 AM

Bettyalso said:
All my drivers are updated, theyre at the current one.
im not sure whats wrong :( 

You said that you had crashes with Verifier turned on.... what happens if you turn it OFF....

I remember using it in Windows 2000 (yes , i am ancient lol) and it almost always crashed then.... i seriously doubt its improved since then...

Machine specs would help us to help you ...

m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 12:10:31 AM

If you have updated your ATI graphics driver since the first ATI driver installation, you should be able to "roll back" to the first driver installation which may fix the problem. Do this in Safe Mode if the screen is too glitchy to see properly:

Control panel > Device Manager
Under "Display adapters", double-click the ATI device to open it's Properties box.
Click the "Driver" tab.
click "Roll back driver"
Click 'OK'

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 12:24:01 AM

Brett928S2 said:

You said that you had crashes with Verifier turned on.... what happens if you turn it OFF....

I remember using it in Windows 2000 (yes , i am ancient lol) and it almost always crashed then.... i seriously doubt its improved since then...

I must have completely missed that somewhere. If you have verifier running still when it crashes, that's your culprit. When Verifier was first written it was designed to identify a problem, like you did, but then to turn it off afterwards. I think you may be elevating the issue by leaving Verifier turned on because in doing so you're actually pushing the program to draw up those particular files.

It could still potentially be related to the GPU itself.
m
l
January 26, 2013 11:16:13 AM

Brett928S2 said:

i have been experiencing some crashes and BSOD's in games aswell, and usually right before the crash theres some sort of graphical glitch. verifier also works perfectly if i select every other driver except the ATI ones.

SPECS
Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
CPU: i3-2120
MEM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz
GPU: Crossfire 7850's (The problem still occured with single card)
STORAGE: OS on SSD, The rest is on a Barrucada.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 11:55:50 AM

Bettyalso said:
i have been experiencing some crashes and BSOD's in games aswell, and usually right before the crash theres some sort of graphical glitch. verifier also works perfectly if i select every other driver except the ATI ones.

SPECS
Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
CPU: i3-2120
MEM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz
GPU: Crossfire 7850's (The problem still occured with single card)
STORAGE: OS on SSD, The rest is on a Barrucada.

Try this:

1. Take the side panel off your computer
2. Turn the computer on and start doing what you would normally do until the issue occurs.
3. When you start to notice artifacting or the computer BSODs, check the video card(s) and see if the fans are spinning at all.
4. You can also use GPU-Z to check the temperature levels of the two cards.
m
l
January 26, 2013 8:49:57 PM

hedwar2011 said:
Try this:

1. Take the side panel off your computer
2. Turn the computer on and start doing what you would normally do until the issue occurs.
3. When you start to notice artifacting or the computer BSODs, check the video card(s) and see if the fans are spinning at all.
4. You can also use GPU-Z to check the temperature levels of the two cards.

3. The fans continue to spin
4. the max temp of the two card is 65.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2013 3:19:55 AM

Bettyalso said:
3. The fans continue to spin
4. the max temp of the two card is 65.

Temps are within normal limits.

It's time you take a look at everything running and starting up when your computer does.

I would recommend using Autoruns.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.

Go through and eliminate all the unnecessary items from startup and such and then see if the issue continues. If it doesn't, you know your problem issue lies in something you disabled. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it's an issue with CCC (Catalyst Control Center) as there was an issue a few years back similar to this but can't be sure.
m
l
!