Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

_very_ annoying death

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 31, 2005 2:33:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Nethack 3.4, I starved to death in a shop.

I knew I was hungry, I just couldn't leave!!

-----------
| S-##
|[ @|
-----------

The Shopkeeper is represented as a 'S'nake for clarities sake. He
wouldn't move. I chatted, I waited, nothing. He was guarding his door
come hell or high water.

Not that my character was anything special, but I die enough by my own
hand that this just seemed, excessive.


-Scott

--
Customer Support is like Teaching Kindergarten.
All day long, you sit and read to people who can't
do it for themselves.
Scott <--> scott@ttocs.org

More about : annoying death

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 2:33:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Scott <ttocs.news@ttocs.org> wrote in
news:slrndh9nlp.45j.ttocs.news@buzzard.onr.com:

> The Shopkeeper is represented as a 'S'nake for clarities sake. He
> wouldn't move. I chatted, I waited, nothing. He was guarding his door
> come hell or high water.

Presume your character was visible and did not owe anything for unpaid
items, did you try using the 'm' command to have him move out of your way?
I don't see how this could be #chatting.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 2:59:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

In article <slrndh9nlp.45j.ttocs.news@buzzard.onr.com>, Scott says...
> Nethack 3.4, I starved to death in a shop.
>
> I knew I was hungry, I just couldn't leave!!
>
> -----------
> | S-##
> |[ @|
> -----------
>
> The Shopkeeper is represented as a 'S'nake for clarities sake. He
> wouldn't move. I chatted, I waited, nothing. He was guarding his door
> come hell or high water.


Did you owe him money? Were you invisible?
Related resources
August 31, 2005 5:34:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Scott <ttocs.news@ttocs.org> wrote in
news:slrndh9nlp.45j.ttocs.news@buzzard.onr.com:

> Nethack 3.4, I starved to death in a shop.
>
> I knew I was hungry, I just couldn't leave!!
>
> -----------
> | S-##
> |[ @|
> -----------
>
> The Shopkeeper is represented as a 'S'nake for clarities sake. He
> wouldn't move. I chatted, I waited, nothing. He was guarding his
> door come hell or high water.
>
> Not that my character was anything special, but I die enough by my
> own hand that this just seemed, excessive.

Did you try moving? You may have been standing where the shopkeeper
wanted to go.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 9:08:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> Scott <ttocs.news@ttocs.org> writes:
>
> > is the 'm' command new? I've not heard of it, that was likely the
> > solution I needed.
>
> I think it was already in Hack before it was renamed to Nethack.
> But it may have behaved differently here.. I didn't know about it making
> a shopkeeper move either.

I've had a small problem in my current game with a shopkeeper
standing on the icebox I wanted to loot (it was a really small
shop, 3x2 I think). When I stood in the first spot after the
doorway the shopkeeper would sit on the icebox, and no 'm'
made him move (though I didn't keep at it very long). But when
I moved to another square he left this spot to go where I was
before.
August 31, 2005 9:22:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

In article <MPG.1d7ef53f35f7fdff9896d0@news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Andrew Kerr wrote:
> In article <slrndh9nlp.45j.ttocs.news@buzzard.onr.com>, Scott says...
>> Nethack 3.4, I starved to death in a shop.
>>
>> I knew I was hungry, I just couldn't leave!!
>>
>> -----------
>> | S-##
>> |[ @|
>> -----------
>>
>> The Shopkeeper is represented as a 'S'nake for clarities sake. He
>> wouldn't move. I chatted, I waited, nothing. He was guarding his door
>> come hell or high water.
>
>
> Did you owe him money? Were you invisible?

no, and no


--
"X11 is the second worst windowing system in the world. First place is
a tie between all the other windowing systems that have sold more than
10 seats." Paul Tomblin on a.s.r. 19960524
August 31, 2005 9:23:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

In article <Xns96C2B79245E81heptapodyahoocom@216.196.97.142>,
Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> Scott <ttocs.news@ttocs.org> wrote in
> news:slrndh9nlp.45j.ttocs.news@buzzard.onr.com:
>
>> The Shopkeeper is represented as a 'S'nake for clarities sake. He
>> wouldn't move. I chatted, I waited, nothing. He was guarding his door
>> come hell or high water.
>
> Presume your character was visible and did not owe anything for unpaid
> items, did you try using the 'm' command to have him move out of your way?
> I don't see how this could be #chatting.

is the 'm' command new? I've not heard of it, that was likely the
solution I needed.

-Scott

--
"X11 is the second worst windowing system in the world. First place is
a tie between all the other windowing systems that have sold more than
10 seats." Paul Tomblin on a.s.r. 19960524
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:17:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

In article <slrndhafjr.45j.ttocs.news@buzzard.onr.com>, Scott wrote:
> In article <MPG.1d7ef53f35f7fdff9896d0@news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> Andrew Kerr wrote:
>> In article <slrndh9nlp.45j.ttocs.news@buzzard.onr.com>, Scott says...
>>> Nethack 3.4, I starved to death in a shop.
>>
>> Did you owe him money? Were you invisible?
>
> no, and no

I once had a similar situation. I long wondered why didn't he move from
the door until I realized that I had put an unpaid item in my sack/BoH by
accident. These items doesn't show in "(D)rop every unpaid item" listing,
so it took quite a while to figure out.

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",
Twoflower in "The Light Fantastic"
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:17:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

In article <slrndhaise.5sv.pnuu@vipunen.hut.fi>, Panu Lahtinen
<pnuu@iki.fi> says...
> I once had a similar situation. I long wondered why didn't he move from
> the door until I realized that I had put an unpaid item in my sack/BoH by
> accident. These items doesn't show in "(D)rop every unpaid item" listing,
> so it took quite a while to figure out.
>
Wouldn't the shopkeeper tell you you owed him money when #chatting to him?
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 4:41:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Scott <ttocs.news@ttocs.org> writes:

> is the 'm' command new? I've not heard of it, that was likely the
> solution I needed.

I think it was already in Hack before it was renamed to Nethack.
But it may have behaved differently here.. I didn't know about it making
a shopkeeper move either.

--
Jukka Lahtinen
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 8:55:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

Quoting Jukka Lahtinen <jslnews@despammed.com>:
>Scott <ttocs.news@ttocs.org> writes:
>>is the 'm' command new? I've not heard of it, that was likely the
>>solution I needed.
>But it may have behaved differently here.. I didn't know about it making
>a shopkeeper move either.

Neither did I.

if(flags.nopick &&
(canspotmon(mtmp) || glyph_is_invisible(levl[x][y].glyph))){
if(mtmp->m_ap_type && !Protection_from_shape_changers
&& !sensemon(mtmp))
stumble_onto_mimic(mtmp);
else if (mtmp->mpeaceful && !Hallucination)
pline("Pardon me, %s.", m_monnam(mtmp));
else
You("move right into %s.", mon_nam(mtmp));
return;
}

If it does, I certainly don't see where that is implemented.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Second Tuesday, August.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:06:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:17:50 +0300 (EEST), Panu Lahtinen
<pnuu@iki.fi> wrote:

>In article <slrndhafjr.45j.ttocs.news@buzzard.onr.com>, Scott wrote:
>> In article <MPG.1d7ef53f35f7fdff9896d0@news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
>> Andrew Kerr wrote:
>>> In article <slrndh9nlp.45j.ttocs.news@buzzard.onr.com>, Scott says...
>>>> Nethack 3.4, I starved to death in a shop.
>>>
>>> Did you owe him money? Were you invisible?
>>
>> no, and no
>
>I once had a similar situation. I long wondered why didn't he move from
>the door until I realized that I had put an unpaid item in my sack/BoH by
>accident. These items doesn't show in "(D)rop every unpaid item" listing,
>so it took quite a while to figure out.

Looks like the '$' command is what you need.



--
All the best,

Jove
!