Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can't install windows 7

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
January 26, 2013 2:34:04 AM

I recently built a new PC and I have tried installing both 32 and 64 bit windows 7 via both a DVD and by USB. Whenever I try the DVD, it says " Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot Device and Press a Key". The disc is in, but it repeats that message for either version.
I've tried it with my usb (it says USB Floppy in BIOS) through different ports but all I get is " Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart". Even though nothing else is in except for the USB and I press a key, it goes to the "Reboot and Select" message.
I've tried in a number of ways to change the Boot priority, change SATA mode, etc. I know that BIOS is recognizing my DVD drive, flash drive, and hard drive, but nothing is working.

MOBO: MSI Z77A-g41 LGA1155 DDR3 (with new Click BIOS II)
CPU: Intel Pentium G860 LGA1155
RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX blu
HD: WD Green 500 GB
PSU: corsair GS700
GPU: i have a XFX Radeon R6670 core edition, but because of drivers, i won't put it in until I have an OS.

Any help would be appreciated.

More about : install windows

a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 3:55:48 AM

Tucker1991 said:
I recently built a new PC and I have tried installing both 32 and 64 bit windows 7 via both a DVD and by USB. Whenever I try the DVD, it says " Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in Selected Boot Device and Press a Key". The disc is in, but it repeats that message for either version.
I've tried it with my usb (it says USB Floppy in BIOS) through different ports but all I get is " Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart". Even though nothing else is in except for the USB and I press a key, it goes to the "Reboot and Select" message.
I've tried in a number of ways to change the Boot priority, change SATA mode, etc. I know that BIOS is recognizing my DVD drive, flash drive, and hard drive, but nothing is working.

MOBO: MSI Z77A-g41 LGA1155 DDR3 (with new Click BIOS II)
CPU: Intel Pentium G860 LGA1155
RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX blu
HD: WD Green 500 GB
PSU: corsair GS700
GPU: i have a XFX Radeon R6670 core edition, but because of drivers, i won't put it in until I have an OS.

Any help would be appreciated.

First things first, with your computer only having the one HDD, which I'm going to assume is SATA, go into the BIOS and change the SATA mode to AHCI.

Secondly, While you're in the BIOS change the boot order so that your HDD is the first in the list and then CD/DVD next and see if issue contains.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 4:03:49 AM

check the cd itself. make sure it the windows os disk and not windows office disk. check to se if it as upgrade or full oem/retail disk. if it the oem/retail disk. when you go into the bios. if your bios is like the asus one there two bios the efi and the older bios.
if there on the bottom row of the main screen efi boot devices. see if you can drag/drop the non efi cd-rom to be the first boot device. make sure you have the newest bios loaded look like it set up the efi/older bios mode to auto for you.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 4:32:26 AM

Hay if u insert working bootable device bios automatically start installation . load default setting in bios. check bootable media work in other systems . try in usb 2.0ports not 3.0 . check with other dvd drive .
m
l
February 1, 2013 11:06:24 PM

Best answer selected by Tucker1991.
m
l
!