YAAP - bourland (foodless/atheist/polyless/genoless)

Last response: in Video Games
August 31, 2005 4:50:25 PM

bourland-Wiz-Cha-Fem-Elf

Goodbye bourland the Demigoddess...
You and the Olog-hai and the black pudding
went to your reward with 1398754 points,
The Eye of the Aethiopica (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
2 amulets of life saving (worth 300 zorkmids), and 0 pieces of gold,
after 37627 moves.
You were level 17 with a maximum of 132 hit points when you ascended.

Voluntary challenges
You went without food
You were an atheist
You never genocided any monsters
You never polymorphed an object
You never changed form
You did not wish for any artifacts

Found an early /oW, wished for =oSD and decided to do another foodless
athiest, but this time using "oLS and adding in a few more conducts. I
used 8 total, mainly because I played it safe and wore the "oLS all the
time and swapped out the extra ring spot between the missing
resistances. I had a close call with poisoned arrows and no PR, and
lack of FR was terrifying at times. I ended up having to put on Shock
Resistance more than I expected, and was lucky to avoid bad situations
without free action. Once I learned detect monsters, planning for
resistances was a lot easier.

Invisibility, Stealth, and +7 daggers were essential early on, and
later on Charm Monster and a magic whistle enabled me to know where to
safely step and to avoid needless fighting. I got pretty lucky, and
despite some painfully long battles involving swarms of Liches, I made
it through without too many close calls. The last altar was the correct
one, and I finished with about 1000 Turns from having to wear my last
"oLS.

I used an embarrassing 14 wishes including two timely ones from Vlad's
Tower which got me a needed "oLS and my =oFR. The rest were mainly used
for "oLS and a few magic markers. Obviously, an early /oW makes any
game a lot easier if you choose to use it.

Sorry I don't remember more details - I resumed this game after a
lengthy break in the middle.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 5:14:22 PM

There's never before been a foodless/atheist/genoless ascension has
there?

Is there a list of "top" conduct ascensions? With 12 conducts (one a
trinary) there are about 6000 possible conducts, but many are subsets
of others. It shouldn't be hard from a list of ascensions (with
conducts included) to list all of the unique (first ascension or
number of ascensions) best conduct sets.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 6:05:39 PM

jdorje@gmail.com wrote:
> There's never before been a foodless/atheist/genoless ascension has
> there?

foodless/atheist/polyless impresses me more, assuming polyless means no
poly self.

Do you just starve until "oLS kicks in?
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 6:13:26 PM

Whenever I got Weak, I found a safe place to starve to death, Usually
Leviating over a scroll in a alley on Sokoban. I recall being killed
once prematurely by a cockatrice, but the other 7 deaths I believe were
all Starvation. Wearing an amulet and ring, I usually had about 3000
Turns before I needed to find a safe place to wait to Starve.

I was vrey tempted to Genocide Liches, after dealing with chains of
Arch Liches in Moloch's Sanctum. Polyselfless is pretty easily avoided
actually, especially if you have plently of Amulets.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:33:01 AM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:14:22 -0700, jdorje wrote:

> There's never before been a foodless/atheist/genoless ascension has there?

I hate you! :-b

(*chuckle*)
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:33:02 AM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:33:01 GMT, "Mantar, Feyelno nek dusa"
<mantar.feyelno@YourPantiesSirWilliamfrontiernet.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:14:22 -0700, jdorje wrote:
>
>> There's never before been a foodless/atheist/genoless ascension has there?

> I hate you! :-b
>
> (*chuckle*)

I hate misplaced tongues. :-Þ (Looks like you're biting on
your tongue more than sticking it out.)

(Hold down the alt key and enter 0222 on your number pad
on any windows machine.)

Congrats on the ascension, btw. Sure, you used a lot of
wishes, but you used them to do something difficult and nearly
unique. Otherwise most of them would have been wasted.

There was someone who did a foodless polyselfless atheist
survivor (never died) in msg id:

<s0b_b.226$FF5.43975@petpeeve.ziplink.net>.

by Robert R Schneck
(Enter the msg id in google groups advanced search.)

>Voluntary challenges: You went without food.
>You were an atheist.
>You genocided 37 types of monsters.
>You never changed form.
>You used 7 wishes.
> (* blessed ring of slow digestion
> 2 blessed scrolls of charging
> blessed Orb of Fate
> blessed horn of plenty
> blessed wand of cancellation
> blessed +2 green dragon scale mail
> blessed magic marker *)

He geno'd 37 species though.

That post also references some other foodless atheist
ascensions.

That poster played a tourist. He used the PYEC,
a horn of plenty, and a ring of slow digestion.
Using the blessed PYEC to charge the HoP as much
as possible. He lived on the nutrition from fruit juice
that the HoP occasionally provided.

More from that post (NNTP-Posting-Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:34:48
EST):

>There are only a few ways to ascend a foodless atheist. You could
>ascend quickly enough that food isn't an issue. You could spend enough
>of the game polymorphed and not wearing jewelry that food isn't an
>issue. Otherwise, you need a reliable source of nutrition. There are
>three:
>(1) life-saving
>(2) "You feel like a new man!"
>(3) potions The first (known) foodless atheist ascension, by Michael Anthony
>Bayazes, used (1). Marvin later used (2), and then so did
>Matthew "the extinctionist" Bourland.
>As far as I know this is the fourth foodless atheist ascension post,
>and the first to rely entirely on potions for nutrition---the "liquid
>diet".

Msg Id: <9q0579$21c$1@news-int.gatech.edu> (NNTP-Posting-Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 00:36:57 +0000 (UTC)) (another foodless atheist)
by Michael Anthony Bayazes shows:

> You went without food.
> You were an atheist. /*boo-yah! It -is- possible! */
> You genocided 20 types of monsters.
> You never polymorphed an object.
> You never changed form. /*hadn't actually planned on polyless...*/
> You used 15 wishes. /*ok, that's embarassingly high...*/
> You did not wish for any artifacts. /*...but at least I retained a shred
>of wishing dignity*/

20 species geno'd.

Finally in msg-id:

<d0430172.0310241105.1073f50f@posting.google.com>

Matthew Bourland posted:

>YAAP bourland-Wiz-Gno-Mal-Neu (foodless atheist genocideless polypileless survivor)

So you didn't make the first. Still, a nearly unique
achievement.

(You could have found these posts by using Google's advanced
group search for subjects with "foodless" and "atheist".
or "athiest" for the hard of spelling.)

--
All the best,

Jove
September 1, 2005 2:05:17 AM

"sjdevnull@yahoo.com" <sjdevnull@yahoo.com> wrote in

> jdorje@gmail.com wrote:
>> There's never before been a foodless/atheist/genoless ascension has
>> there?
>
> foodless/atheist/polyless impresses me more, assuming polyless means no
> poly self.
>
> Do you just starve until "oLS kicks in?

The simplest way would be to just drink fruit juice. With a ring of slow
digestion and no spells those nutrition points can go a long way.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 10:15:10 AM

>>YAAP bourland-Wiz-Gno-Mal-Neu (foodless atheist genocideless polypileless survivor)

> So you didn't make the first. Still, a nearly unique achievement.

Darn - I guess I was beaten to the punch by myself back in Oct 2003 ;)
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 10:34:02 AM

> The simplest way would be to just drink fruit juice. With a ring of slow
> digestion and no spells those nutrition points can go a long way.

Good point. I didn't stretch my nutrition as far as a could have, as I
always wore an "oLS and =oSD, and typically also wore an additional
ring. Blessed Fruit Juice would give another 30 nutrition points,
which should give you another 600T if you are just wearing =oSD. If I
read the food spoilers correctly (please correct where I'm wrong), you
have 850 nutrition points until Hungry. A =oSD alone should make this
be 17000T, and wearing an amulet as well should reduce this to 8500T.
By wearing a 2nd ring, I suppose I reduced that to 5667T. I'm not sure
what I was doing to make that less - I must be missing something.

If you were *really* worried, you could track your Turn numbers and
remove the the 2nd ring on the exact turn it is checked for hunger
(4/20 for left 12/20 for right) and remove the amulet on turn 8/20, but
what should be done is just only wear the "oLS when you are Weak and
only put on a 2nd ring when the intrinsic is absolutely required.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 7:08:27 AM

matthewbourland@hotmail.com wrote:

> Good point. I didn't stretch my nutrition as far as a could have, as
> I always wore an "oLS and =oSD, and typically also wore an additional
> ring.

Why didn't you take off the amulet, only to put it on when you were
weak? That way, your food would have lasted even longer.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 12:00:36 PM

> Why didn't you take off the amulet, only to put it on when you were
> weak? That way, your food would have lasted even longer.
>
> --
> Boudewijn.

You are absolutely right - but with a lack of resistances, I was
legitimately more concerned about death by means other than food. I
had only one ring slot for resistances to swap between, and my logic
was that an "oLS was the best resistance I could wear. I had only one
such death, but had I not been wearing the "oLS at the time, it would
have been regrettable. I had the remaining wishes, figured I could
finish in time, and would have rather lived to tell the tale.

Matthew
!