  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
September 1, 2005 3:15:59 AM

Sometimes I wonder if the ones who designed this game
were not somewhat sadistic. Some of my latest deaths:
-- level 2/ barbarian level 6 drinks a potion,
it puts him to sleep, a lynx happened to drop by --
Oh, I had found a cloak of protection!
-- level 3/barbarian level 6 finds a lamp, stupidly
rubs it, gets a djinni out, an angry beast that
puts him to die in very few rounds -- despite
praying, going up, and having nothing except
a magic marker in his backpack.
My fault:
-- first level of skobodan, found a wand and decided
to engrave with it. But it was create monsters,
with a very nasty unicorn that killed my dog while
I was praying on Elbereth square. Got killed two or
three rounds later anyway.
-- blind, "it bites", no way to go to a corridor, so
I strike, bad luck, this was my dog, the jackal was
on the other square.
Not a death but ---
-- I found boots of speed at level 2 or 3, and tried
a scroll -- Guess what.
Just a bad spell I guess ---

Since I'm here:
-- with falconseye and suse linux, where shoudl the
scores be ? I haven't any so I guess there(s a priority
mess somewhere, but I don't know such a table should be named??
-- same falconseye, how to change my name? All my character
have my login name-- I can rename my pet but not me
with C.

Cheers !
Olivier

More about : sadistic

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:16:00 AM

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:15:59 +0200, Olivier <Olve@nowhere.wd>
wrote:

>Sometimes I wonder if the ones who designed this game
>were not somewhat sadistic.

How can you even *ask* that? Of *course* it's sadistic!
After playing commercial games that want you to win,
Nethack is a shattering experience. Nethack doesn't
care if you win or lose, and will happily let you kill
yourself, aka "The Dread Lord YASD".

>Some of my latest deaths:
> -- level 2/ barbarian level 6 drinks a potion,
> it puts him to sleep, a lynx happened to drop by --
> Oh, I had found a cloak of protection!

Don't do that then.

If you are going to do it (and I heartily recommend *against*
it) engrave Elbereth a few times first. Use ":" to check the
quality of the engraving.

> -- level 3/barbarian level 6 finds a lamp, stupidly
> rubs it, gets a djinni out, an angry beast that
> puts him to die in very few rounds -- despite
> praying, going up, and having nothing except
> a magic marker in his backpack.

Don't do that then.

Engrave Elbereth with the magic marker. It uses charges
but dead characters have no use for magic markers, charged
or not.

A permanent light source can be very useful to an early
character, especially one with a ranged attack. (So know
what classes get what ranged attacks and how to get them.)
(So you didn't know it was permanent, just use it normally
and you'll still be fine.)

So wait until you know a) the lamp is magic and b) that
it's blessed before rubbing it.

Early wishes won't necessarily keep your character alive
any longer (as I know to my cost).

(I know you acknowledged your fault with the "stupidly",
this is for the edification of others.)

>My fault:
> -- first level of skobodan, found a wand and decided
> to engrave with it. But it was create monsters,
> with a very nasty unicorn that killed my dog while
> I was praying on Elbereth square. Got killed two or
> three rounds later anyway.

Why weren't you still on Elbereth? Don't step next
to unicorns that are too tough for you. (They'll
never step next to you.) Step away from them if necessary.

In Sokoban the unicorn can't teleport, so go get some
rocks from the dungeon (Do NOT break a boulder in Sokoban!)
and stone the unicorn to death from a distance.

(In other words: Don't Do That Then.)

> -- blind, "it bites", no way to go to a corridor, so
> I strike, bad luck, this was my dog, the jackal was
> on the other square.

#chat to it first. (IOW: DDTT).

>Not a death but ---
> -- I found boots of speed at level 2 or 3, and tried
> a scroll -- Guess what.
>Just a bad spell I guess ---

DDTT.

I never use a completely unidentified scroll or potion.
(The only price identified scroll I'll use is identify.
I'll also try applying $250 potions.)

In the early game the only thing you can safely id is
non-cursed armor. Use that to get the lowest AC you can
consistent with burdened state and spell friendliness
(if appropriate).

Particularly try on accessories: gloves, helms, boots, shields.
Since you see so many more of those you're more likely to find a
high enchantment. Even just a +1 on each of those items lowers
your AC by an extra 4 points. Add the 4 points of AC the items
themselves should give and that's 8 points of AC. That's big in
the early game.

Try the shields even if you're using a two-handed weapon.
(What, you find a +4 elven shield, you're not going to wear it?)
See what one-handed weapons you can use instead.

The secret to the early game is: survive. Trying unknown
scrolls and potions is not conducive to your character's
survival.

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 8:48:33 AM

Olivier wrote:
> > Only it doesn't work; it says 'Cannot open save file'. It
> > must be another permissions problem; back to the drawing
> > board.

> Here, the save file is a link to
> /var/games/falconeyes/save/save

> Owned by games from group users

Note that the preferred solution here is *not* to make anythig
world writable, but to make the nethack binaries suid games.

--
James Kanze GABI Software
September 1, 2005 8:51:38 AM

Jove wrote:

[...]
> I never use a completely unidentified scroll or potion. (The
> only price identified scroll I'll use is identify. I'll also
> try applying $250 potions.)

A scroll with a base price of 60 or 80 is safe if its not
cursed.

--
James Kanze GABI Software
September 1, 2005 2:31:41 PM

Jukka Lahtinen wrote:
> kanze@gabi-soft.fr writes:
> > Jove wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I never use a completely unidentified scroll or potion. (The
> > > only price identified scroll I'll use is identify. I'll also
>
> > A scroll with a base price of 60 or 80 is safe if its not
> > cursed.
>
> ..but you most certainly don't want to waste any 60 or 80 zorkmid scrolls
> by randomly reading them before checking your inventory and what you are
> wearing and wielding.

Besides, if you know the base price, it's really a 'completely
unidentified' scroll, is it.

-K
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 2:33:21 PM

Olivier wrote:
> Sometimes I wonder if the ones who designed this game
> were not somewhat sadistic. Some of my latest deaths:
<snip>

Yes, they are. And all of us players are masochistic, and we *like* it
that way...

-K
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:10:20 PM

On Sep 1, 2005, Olivier sent message
<43161e45$0$1012$8fcfb975@news.wanadoo.fr>, which allegedly said:

> Sometimes I wonder if the ones who designed this game
> were not somewhat sadistic. Some of my latest deaths:

Somewhat?? =))

[snip unfortunate results of impetuousness]

You need to spend some time in shops getting prices on things
before using them...

> Since I'm here:
> -- with falconseye and suse linux, where shoudl the
> scores be ? I haven't any so I guess there(s a priority
> mess somewhere, but I don't know such a table should be named??
> -- same falconseye, how to change my name? All my character
> have my login name-- I can rename my pet but not me
> with C.

Dunno what diff Falcon's Eye makes to the equation, but try
setting:
OPTIONS=name:p layer

in your ~/.nethackrc to fix the player naming problem

Have Fun
Martin
--
Playing NH3.4.3 in TTY or Qt on Mac OS X
Anonymous

Martin Crisp wrote:

> Dunno what diff Falcon's Eye makes to the equation, but try
> setting:
> OPTIONS=name:p layer
>
> in your ~/.nethackrc to fix the player naming problem

<pricks up ears> That would probably help my daughters who would like to
play characters not named after them. Any suggestions on how to make
Falcon's Eye save its game? I *think* I've fixed all the permissions
problems (at least it finds its bones files now).

Raisse, killed by a system shock

September 1, 2005 3:18:18 PM

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> <pricks up ears> That would probably help my daughters who would like to
> play characters not named after them. Any suggestions on how to make
> Falcon's Eye save its game? I *think* I've fixed all the permissions
> problems (at least it finds its bones files now).

shift-s is for saving.

Hope that helps !
Amities,
Olivier
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:29:29 PM

Since I'm at it, here is another point I discovered:
if you want do dig you "zap" your wand. A drawing appears
to choose the direction: don't use it! The direction "down"
doesn't exist there, so use the simpler >.
Amities,
Olivier
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:34:14 PM

Olivier wrote:

> Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
>> <pricks up ears> That would probably help my daughters who would like
>> to play characters not named after them. Any suggestions on how to make
>> Falcon's Eye save its game? I *think* I've fixed all the permissions
>> problems (at least it finds its bones files now).
>
> shift-s is for saving.
>
> Hope that helps !

No, it doesn't; I know that and they know that. We don't have any trouble
with commands because they're the same in each version.

Only it doesn't work; it says 'Cannot open save file'. It must be another
permissions problem; back to the drawing board.

Raisse, killed by a system shock

September 1, 2005 3:55:59 PM

> Only it doesn't work; it says 'Cannot open save file'. It must be another
> permissions problem; back to the drawing board.

Here, the save file is a link to
/var/games/falconeyes/save/save

Owned by games from group users

HTH, O.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:56:30 PM

*Slightly spoily response*

Another way to identify potions is to wield them as weapons and beat
suitable test subjects like goblins over the head with them. If they
scream in pain or turn into jellyfish or what not, you know not to
drink that one.

Of course, I suppose there is the possibility that you'll hit someone
with a potion of polymorph, so instead of your level 1 wizard facing
off with a goblin your level 1 wizard is now facing off with an
Archlich. But this is unlikely, and if I'm carrying a potion of
polymorph I'd rather some unsuspecting jackal found out than spend a
couple hundred turns as a killer bee.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 4:00:32 PM

> Here, the save file is a link

from
/usr/share/games/falconseye/save

Bone files and levels and all are in /usr/share/games/falconseye/

> /var/games/falconeyes/save/save
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 4:10:08 PM

Olivier wrote:

>> Only it doesn't work; it says 'Cannot open save file'. It must be
>> another permissions problem; back to the drawing board.
>
> Here, the save file is a link to
> /var/games/falconeyes/save/save
>
> Owned by games from group users

Tried that too, doesn't work either :-(

(but name=player works, thanks to whoever posted that!)

Raisse, killed by a kitten

September 1, 2005 4:17:53 PM

Olivier wrote:

>> Here, the save file is a link
>
> from
> /usr/share/games/falconseye/save
>
> Bone files and levels and all are in /usr/share/games/falconseye/

>> /var/games/falconeyes/save/save

But *that* works; all I had to do was to make
the /usr/share/games/falconseye/ directory world-writable. The LegoHack
DevTeam and I are very grateful to you!

Raisse, petrified by a chickatrice

September 1, 2005 5:42:46 PM

> But *that* works; all I had to do was to make
> the /usr/share/games/falconseye/ directory world-writable. The LegoHack
> DevTeam and I are very grateful to you!

Happy of it while still alive :-p O.
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 10:42:14 PM

Alexis wrote:
> raisse@valdyas.org wrote:
> [of her children]
> > The problem is, if they could save they could probably ascend.
>
> This brings up an interesting (to me) question: what's the age of the
> youngest player to ascend? Nethack is such a complicated game that I
> wonder how old you have to be to be able to comprehend it enough to beat
> it.

My twelve year old nephew ascended recently, after I introduced the
game a year back. Then again, he's currently a senior in high school
[something of a genius].
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 11:32:50 PM

On Sep 1, 2005, Raisse the Thaumaturge sent message
<4316aac5$0$11063$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, which allegedly said:

> Martin Crisp wrote:
>
>> Dunno what diff Falcon's Eye makes to the equation, but try
>> setting:
>> OPTIONS=name:p layer
>>
>> in your ~/.nethackrc to fix the player naming problem
>
> <pricks up ears> That would probably help my daughters who would like to
> play characters not named after them. Any suggestions on how to make
> Falcon's Eye save its game? I *think* I've fixed all the permissions
> problems (at least it finds its bones files now).

Sorry, no idea. Maybe it's expecting a save directory that doesn't
exist (or something similar)?
[I don't use Falcon's Eye; the previous was based on a similar
difficulty under Mac OS X Qt windowport]

Have Fun
Martin
--
Playing NH3.4.3 in TTY or Qt on Mac OS X
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 11:32:51 PM

Martin Crisp wrote:

[trying to save Falcon's Eye]

> Sorry, no idea. Maybe it's expecting a save directory that doesn't
> exist (or something similar)?

That was my idea too, so I made a nethackdir/save/ in /usr/games/ (where
the falconseye binary is) and one in /usr/games/lib/ (where save files
live on my machine) and made both nethackdirs and both saves 777 just in
case; no luck (the kid currently playing patiently tries to save every
time I ask her to). She's playing from a konsole in hopes that it will
say where the game is trying put things, but it doesn't. :-(

Grrr. Frustration rules. Now if they wanted to play ASCII, I'd just wipe
everything and compile them each a brand-new 3.4.3, but they happen to
like Falcon's Eye (and I don't blame them; if I'd started at eight
instead of thirty-four I'd prefer it too).

The problem is, if they could save they could probably ascend.

Raisse, killed by a grid bug, while helpless

September 1, 2005 11:32:52 PM

raisse@valdyas.org wrote:
[of her children]
> The problem is, if they could save they could probably ascend.

This brings up an interesting (to me) question: what's the age of the
youngest player to ascend? Nethack is such a complicated game that I
wonder how old you have to be to be able to comprehend it enough to beat
it.

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
September 1, 2005 11:32:53 PM

Alexis <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> This brings up an interesting (to me) question: what's the age of the
> youngest player to ascend? Nethack is such a complicated game that I
> wonder how old you have to be to be able to comprehend it enough to beat
> it.

This topic came up in another thread recently. I think the youngest
was maybe 13 or 14.

--
Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

pendell@hotmail.com writes:
> [ testing unknown potions via wielding and whacking ]
> Of course, I suppose there is the possibility that you'll hit someone
> with a potion of polymorph, so instead of your level 1 wizard facing
> off with a goblin your level 1 wizard is now facing off with an
> Archlich.

Not to mention possibilities like it being paralysis, and you've just
paralyzed yourself along with your target (modulo =oFA).

Before you take some action, you'd better know all the possible results
and be prepared to deal with the worst outcome. Facing a hostile,
randomly-polymorphed creature in an adjacent square is not something
you're ready for until quite late in the game (and it is seldom sensible
even then).

Best case, you've wasted a potion and have nothing to show for it other
than having it identified and killing off some wimpy opponent. _All_
potions are useful, if only for alchemy, cancellation/dilution and/or
polypiling.

Unfavorable risk-to-reward ratio. Don't do it. Bag or stash the potions
until you can deal with them in ways that expose you to less risk, and
waste fewer resources.

> But this is unlikely, and if I'm carrying a potion of polymorph I'd
> rather some unsuspecting jackal found out than spend a couple
> hundred turns as a killer bee.

If I'm unfortunate enough to get myself polymorphed at random, I'd
count my blessings it it were into something as non-armor-wrecking as
a killer bee.

But as for the potion, why don't you try: BUC-ID, dip a dart, then (if
no result) a unihorn?
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 11:50:36 PM

kanze@gabi-soft.fr writes:
> Jove wrote:
> [...]
> > I never use a completely unidentified scroll or potion. (The
> > only price identified scroll I'll use is identify. I'll also

> A scroll with a base price of 60 or 80 is safe if its not
> cursed.

...but you most certainly don't want to waste any 60 or 80 zorkmid scrolls
by randomly reading them before checking your inventory and what you are
wearing and wielding.

--
Jukka Lahtinen
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 2:32:28 AM

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:45:03 GMT, Douglas Henke
<henke@kharendaen.dyndns.org> wrote:

>But as for the potion, why don't you try: BUC-ID, dip a dart, then (if
>no result) a unihorn?

For the serious potion tester, a poisoned weapon will become
unpoisoned if dipped into an extra/full/plain healing potion.

With that addition, price identification, and a unihorn,
positive identification of all potions may be possible without
magical identification.

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 3:02:10 AM

On 1 Sep 2005 04:51:38 -0700, kanze@gabi-soft.fr wrote:

>Jove wrote:
>
> [...]
>> I never use a completely unidentified scroll or potion. (The
>> only price identified scroll I'll use is identify. I'll also
>> try applying $250 potions.)
>
>A scroll with a base price of 60 or 80 is safe if its not
>cursed.

Safe, yes. If the base price has been accurately determined.
(Something I still get wrong.) The possibility of using
an uncursed one without blessing it is one argument against.

The possibility of actually wasting one of those scrolls by
reading it (once blessed, or determined to be blessed) can
probably be overcome with sufficient setup.

And those scrolls are sufficiently valuable that I'd never
read one (cursed or not) *just* to identify it. Other factors
could still make it a good idea, however.
--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 7:20:09 AM

Jeremiah DeWitt Weiner wrote:
> Alexis <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>> This brings up an interesting (to me) question: what's the age of the
>> youngest player to ascend? Nethack is such a complicated game that I
>> wonder how old you have to be to be able to comprehend it enough to
>> beat it.

Also, note that the LegoHack engineers are not only young, but *also*
native speakers of Dutch, not English.

> This topic came up in another thread recently. I think the youngest
> was maybe 13 or 14.

That is, the youngest of the three people participating in the thread.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me
September 2, 2005 8:39:51 AM

bencillan@yahoo.com wrote in

> Alexis wrote:
>> raisse@valdyas.org wrote:
>> [of her children]
>> > The problem is, if they could save they could probably ascend.
>>
>> This brings up an interesting (to me) question: what's the age of the
>> youngest player to ascend? Nethack is such a complicated game that I
>> wonder how old you have to be to be able to comprehend it enough to beat
>> it.
>
> My twelve year old nephew ascended recently, after I introduced the
> game a year back. Then again, he's currently a senior in high school
> [something of a genius].

The youngest in this thread...
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 12:03:01 PM

I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
Douglas Henke got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
> [snip]
>
> But as for the potion, why don't you try: BUC-ID, dip a dart, then (if
> no result) a unihorn?

Dipping an object can break polyobject conduct, which is my third most
important conduct (after art-wishless and genoless). If a promising
(ie. done Sokoban and the Mines) character gets an unIDed potion, I'll
BUC-ID it (or at least, do the pet cursed check if I'm also playing
atheist), then consume it, with the usual requirements of nobody around,
Unihorn on standby, max HP, plus the following extra conditions:

if I haven't seen !oParalysis, and don't have =oFA, stand in locked
cupboard

if I haven't seen !oPoly, and don't have =oPC, remove
cloak/armour/shirt (locked cupboard also a good plan, as I may need to
drop all my stuff then throw small weapons up in the air)

if I haven't seen !oInvisibility, wait till I've bought some candles
(which I should have done while in the Mines, anyway)

if I haven't seen fruit juice, and am satiated, removed the =oSD...

Glyn

--
Glyn Kennington - remove caps from email address to reply
Anonymous

>>Facing a hostile,
randomly-polymorphed creature in an adjacent square is not something
you're ready for until quite late in the game (and it is seldom
sensible
even then).
<<

The odds of drawing a potion of polymorph this way are low even if the
odds of drawing any given potion type are equal, and (IIRC) they are
not. Polymorph potions are quite rare in my game. Out of those odds
of drawing a polymorph potion, the odds of polymorphing the beast into
an uber-baddie that I can neither fight nor flee from are quite low --
as I know from many tried and failed experiments to get a good pet by
polymorph.

I call that "acceptable risk".

And if I DO roll snake-eyes and get an Arch-lich -- say hello to my
friend the blessed scroll of taming :) .

>Not to mention possibilities like it being paralysis, and you've just
paralyzed yourself along with your target (modulo =oFA). <

Better than drinking it and freezing only myself.

I still think it's a good tactic for the early game. Realistically,
how many potions of polymorph are you going to come by? I try this
sort of thing in the early game when I have scads of unidentified
objects and I want to sort out the nasty stuff from the harmless stuff
as quickly as possible.

It comes down to difference in playing style, I guess. I can't count
the number of characters I've lost because I'm too conservative with
trying stuff that hasn't been identified. It's not a certainty, but
it is a calculated risk -- am I more likely to die from carrying
something that will help because I'm too conservative, or more likely
to die because I've just tried the potion of paralysis just as Mr.
Soldier Ant came around the corner? The correct answer is not fixed,
and depends largely on how desperate I am. I've lost characters both
ways. Which is why one of my highest priorities in the early game is to
identify everything I possibly can, as early as I can, any way I can.

I'm not saying it's an ideal technique or even a specially good
technique. But it is a technique, and it does work.

Course, there are many, many better players of the game than I, and you
are almost certainly one of them :) .

Respectfully,

Brian P.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 4:07:28 PM

Olivier <Olve@nowhere.wd> schrieb:
> Sometimes I wonder if the ones who designed this game were not
> somewhat sadistic. Some of my latest deaths:

If you're going to blame your bad playing style on the designers of the
game, you're probably never going to be very good at it.

--
Jim Strathmeyer
Anonymous

Ugly Newt <gkennington@claIrVOYaNT.coLD.DuCk> writes:
> > [ dipping darts in unknown !s to ID, among other things, polymorph ]
> Dipping an object can break polyobject conduct, which is my third most
> important conduct (after art-wishless and genoless).

I admit that my previous advice was based on the assumption that its
recipient was a moderately-experienced player trying to maximize
ascension chances irrespective of conduct. It was not
one-size-fits-all; few such suggestions are, in nethack.

(I usually play art-wishless, Elberethless and price-ID-less. No special
reason, just seems more fun that way.)

> if I haven't seen !oPoly, and don't have =oPC, remove
> cloak/armour/shirt (locked cupboard also a good plan, as I may need to
> drop all my stuff then throw small weapons up in the air)

Wouldn't that be a bit of a nuisance if you happened to poly into something
with no hands?

> if I haven't seen !oInvisibility, wait till I've bought some candles
> (which I should have done while in the Mines, anyway)

I'm missing the point of this one. What specially useful thing can I do
with candles whilst invisible?
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 6:45:02 PM

Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:
> For the serious potion tester, a poisoned weapon will become
> unpoisoned if dipped into an extra/full/plain healing potion.

.... but will use up the potion in the process, and not distinguish
among those three possibilities.

Better, IMHO, to eliminate all the nasty possibilities you can via
non-destructive testing, then quaff the unknown, uncursed potion. In
the cases above, you'll get a positive ID, and extra max HP.

Worst-case, you get paralysis (which is a waste, but fairly safe since
you locked yourself in a closet first) or a pissed-off djinni/ghost.
So, don't quaff smoky potions (even blessed ones, 5% chance) until you
know you can fight (or escape from) a djinni reliably.

Stockpiling potions in the hopes of later temporarily putting them in
main inventory while you read blessed ?oID and have the RNG
momentarily forget to hate you is another useful strategy,
depending. I usually find enough cleared-by-unihorn potions to satisfy
my early holy water needs, and can save the others for a massive ID /
polypiling / alchemy orgy just before waking Rodney...
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 9:24:32 PM

In article <x64q93k1ne.fsf@kharendaen.krall.org>, Douglas Henke wrote:
> Ugly Newt <gkennington@claIrVOYaNT.coLD.DuCk> writes:
>
>> if I haven't seen !oInvisibility, wait till I've bought some candles
>> (which I should have done while in the Mines, anyway)
>
> I'm missing the point of this one. What specially useful thing can I do
> with candles whilst invisible?

When you're invisible, you can't get in to shops. Atleast without [mummy
wrappings or teleporting. And the best place to get those required candels
is Izchak's lightning store.

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

In article <slrndhgo50.9lc.pnuu@vipunen.hut.fi>,
Panu Lahtinen <pnuu@iki.fi> wrote:

>> I'm missing the point of this one. What specially useful thing can I do
>> with candles whilst invisible?
>
>When you're invisible, you can't get in to shops. Atleast without [mummy
>wrappings or teleporting. And the best place to get those required candels
>is Izchak's lightning store.

I wouldn't exactly say that mummy wrappings are particularly rare,
though. Not finding just one little one by the time you need the candles
is going to be more than a little unlucky.

Cheers,

Phil

--
Philip Kendall <pak21@srcf.ucam.org>
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pak21/

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:45:02 GMT, Douglas Henke
<henke@kharendaen.dyndns.org> wrote:

>Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:
>> For the serious potion tester, a poisoned weapon will become
>> unpoisoned if dipped into an extra/full/plain healing potion.
>
>... but will use up the potion in the process, and not distinguish
>among those three possibilities.
>
>Better, IMHO, to eliminate all the nasty possibilities you can via
>non-destructive testing, then quaff the unknown, uncursed potion. In
>the cases above, you'll get a positive ID, and extra max HP.
>
>Worst-case, you get paralysis (which is a waste, but fairly safe since
>you locked yourself in a closet first) or a pissed-off djinni/ghost.
>So, don't quaff smoky potions (even blessed ones, 5% chance) until you
>know you can fight (or escape from) a djinni reliably.
>
>Stockpiling potions in the hopes of later temporarily putting them in
>main inventory while you read blessed ?oID and have the RNG
>momentarily forget to hate you is another useful strategy,
>depending.

I'm laughing out loud.

> I usually find enough cleared-by-unihorn potions to satisfy
>my early holy water needs, and can save the others for a massive ID /
>polypiling / alchemy orgy just before waking Rodney...

(Still smiling): No, I don't recommend destructive potion
testing, but for those that want to the un-poisoning effect
of all healing potions is a neat trick.

Identifying items looks like one of those sinkholes/traps
Nethack has to get you to kill yourself. It has a poor
cost/benefit ratio (as an earlier poster pointed out),
and distracts you in the early game from what's important:
surviving.

What you need early on are emergency items. Monsters will
identify emergency scrolls/potions for you. The rest can wait.

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 10:16:25 AM

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:15:02 GMT, Douglas Henke
<henke@kharendaen.dyndns.org> wrote:

>Ugly Newt <gkennington@claIrVOYaNT.coLD.DuCk> writes:
>> > [ dipping darts in unknown !s to ID, among other things, polymorph ]
>> Dipping an object can break polyobject conduct, which is my third most
>> important conduct (after art-wishless and genoless).
>
>I admit that my previous advice was based on the assumption that its
>recipient was a moderately-experienced player trying to maximize
>ascension chances irrespective of conduct. It was not
>one-size-fits-all; few such suggestions are, in nethack.

Gotta go with Douglas on this one, Ug. This advice isn't
really for players up to keeping #conducts. More for
non-ascendeds who keep dying identifying stuff. (And need to be
told to Stop!)

Still, for #conduct keepers your point is valid. And those
that don't want to lose their only unicorn horn identifying a
potion of polymorph.

>(I usually play art-wishless, Elberethless and price-ID-less. No special
>reason, just seems more fun that way.)
>

>> if I haven't seen !oPoly, and don't have =oPC, remove
>> cloak/armour/shirt (locked cupboard also a good plan, as I may need to
>> drop all my stuff then throw small weapons up in the air)
>
>Wouldn't that be a bit of a nuisance if you happened to poly into something
>with no hands?

#praying would fix it. But you're right it's a nuisance.
(Happened to me just recently by accident.)

>> if I haven't seen !oInvisibility, wait till I've bought some candles
>> (which I should have done while in the Mines, anyway)
>
>I'm missing the point of this one. What specially useful thing can I do
>with candles whilst invisible?

Ditto.

Hoping Ugly Newt gets better real soon,

Jove
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 10:21:14 AM

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:42:46 +0200, Olivier <Olve@nowhere.wd>
wrote:

>> But *that* works; all I had to do was to make
>> the /usr/share/games/falconseye/ directory world-writable. The LegoHack
>> DevTeam and I are very grateful to you!
>
>Happy of it while still alive :-p O.

That's :-Þ to you. :-) (Alt-0222 on the windows
keypad nearest you.)

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 1:26:20 AM

I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
Jove got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:15:02 GMT, Douglas Henke
> <henke@kharendaen.dyndns.org> wrote:
> >> Dipping an object can break polyobject conduct, which is my third most
> >> important conduct (after art-wishless and genoless).
> >
> >I admit that my previous advice was based on the assumption that its
> >recipient was a moderately-experienced player trying to maximize
> >ascension chances irrespective of conduct. It was not
> >one-size-fits-all; few such suggestions are, in nethack.
>
> Gotta go with Douglas on this one, Ug. This advice isn't
> really for players up to keeping #conducts. More for
> non-ascendeds who keep dying identifying stuff. (And need to be
> told to Stop!)

Hmm, that might be why it took me so long before my first ascension. I
want to know what *everything* is, and will use wishes on touchstones or
+Identify to achieve that aim.

[...]
> >> if I haven't seen !oPoly, and don't have =oPC, remove
> >> cloak/armour/shirt (locked cupboard also a good plan, as I may need to
> >> drop all my stuff then throw small weapons up in the air)
> >
> >Wouldn't that be a bit of a nuisance if you happened to poly into something
> >with no hands?
>
> #praying would fix it. But you're right it's a nuisance.
> (Happened to me just recently by accident.)

If I've got legs, I can still hurt myself kicking walls. The most
annoying ones are when I poly into something so small it can only lift
one dagger at a time, and by the time i've picked one up and thrown it,
I've regenerated the HP. In that case, I just wait there till I've
starved myself back to normal.

> >> if I haven't seen !oInvisibility, wait till I've bought some candles
> >> (which I should have done while in the Mines, anyway)
> >
> >I'm missing the point of this one. What specially useful thing can I do
> >with candles whilst invisible?
>
> Ditto.

It's the issue about getting into the shops. But, as another poster
pointed out, mummy wrappings aren't exactly rare.

> Hoping Ugly Newt gets better real soon,

Only so much you can do with =s of Adornment, no matter how much you
charge them up. (My other option was Snoring Lynx - you see where I'm
going with this?)

--
Glyn Kennington - remove caps from email address to reply
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:38:40 AM

Jove wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:42:46 +0200, Olivier <Olve@nowhere.wd>
> wrote:
>>
>>Happy of it while still alive :-p O.
>
> That's :-Þ to you. :-)

There's no guarantee that the thorn will be displayed correctly
on any given machine. It's Extended ASCII, at best, which has never been
properly standardized across platforms. 'p' or 'b' may be less
aesthetically appealing, but they're low-half ASCII and work
universally.

> (Alt-0222 on the windows
> keypad nearest you.)

Or, if you're using a real computer, Compose-T H. Þ as an
HTML entity (not that I'm encouraging the use of HTML on Usenet, but in
circumstances where HTML is appropriate, using the entity is more likely
to get it to display correctly than typing the character directly).

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 21:26:20 +0100, Ugly Newt
<gkennington@claIrVOYaNT.coLD.DuCk> wrote:

>I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
>Jove got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
>> Gotta go with Douglas on this one, Ug. This advice isn't
>> really for players up to keeping #conducts. More for
>> non-ascendeds who keep dying identifying stuff. (And need to be
>> told to Stop!)
>
>Hmm, that might be why it took me so long before my first ascension. I
>want to know what *everything* is, and will use wishes on touchstones or
>+Identify to achieve that aim.

Believe me, I understand the feeling. Even today when I find a
touchstone I keep it, even if I have +Identify and have
identified most gems.

And there's nothing wrong with it, as long as you don't let it
distract you from what's important: not dying.

>[...]
>> >
>> >Wouldn't that be a bit of a nuisance if you happened to poly into something
>> >with no hands?
>>
>> #praying would fix it. But you're right it's a nuisance.
>> (Happened to me just recently by accident.)
>
>If I've got legs, I can still hurt myself kicking walls. The most
>annoying ones are when I poly into something so small it can only lift
>one dagger at a time, and by the time i've picked one up and thrown it,
>I've regenerated the HP. In that case, I just wait there till I've
>starved myself back to normal.

>> >I'm missing the point of this one. What specially useful thing can I do
>> >with candles whilst invisible?
>>
>> Ditto.
>
>It's the issue about getting into the shops. But, as another poster
>pointed out, mummy wrappings aren't exactly rare.
>
>> Hoping Ugly Newt gets better real soon,
>
>Only so much you can do with =s of Adornment, no matter how much you
>charge them up. (My other option was Snoring Lynx - you see where I'm
>going with this?)

Yes, I think so. (Where's that website again?) I was
referring to someone who claimed a witch "Turned me into a
newt!", but then subsequently got better.

Here it is:

<http://www.cloudspace.com/goodies/mgsnamegen/metalgear....;

aka "Licorice Bass"

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 9:47:34 AM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 23:38:40 GMT, John Campbell
<jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com> wrote:

>Jove wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:42:46 +0200, Olivier <Olve@nowhere.wd>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>Happy of it while still alive :-p O.
>>
>> That's :-Þ to you. :-)
>
> There's no guarantee that the thorn will be displayed correctly
>on any given machine. It's Extended ASCII, at best, which has never been
>properly standardized across platforms. 'p' or 'b' may be less
>aesthetically appealing, but they're low-half ASCII and work
>universally.

All very true. The 'b' looks more like someone's biting their
tongue concentrating. Uppercase 'P' :-P looks like a big dog
with its tongue hanging out.

That 'work universally' is one big reason I'm in favor of ASCII
data files.

> > (Alt-0222 on the windows
>> keypad nearest you.)
>
> Or, if you're using a real computer, Compose-T H. Þ as an
>HTML entity (not that I'm encouraging the use of HTML on Usenet, but in
>circumstances where HTML is appropriate, using the entity is more likely
>to get it to display correctly than typing the character directly).

Or, as I have done, look up a previous post with the thorn
character on Google Groups, then copy & paste.

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:32:55 PM

John Campbell wrote:

> Jove wrote:
>> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:42:46 +0200, Olivier <Olve@nowhere.wd>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>Happy of it while still alive :-p O.
>>
>> That's :-Þ to you. :-)
>
> There's no guarantee that the thorn will be displayed correctly
> on any given machine. It's Extended ASCII, at best, which has never been
> properly standardized across platforms.

It's not any kind of ASCII. It's ISO-8859-1 (or -15, which has most of the
same characters but introduces the Euro and a couple of characters for
writing French).

And it has too been standardized across platforms. It may break if you're
running tin on a command line under Windoze, but most Windoze users
probably have GUI-based newsreaders that show proper ISO-8859-1. (Actually
Windoze-1252, but that's a rant for another day.)

Íf ÿõû çáñ rëâd thîs, ýôúr ñêwsréãdêr süppõrts ÍSÕ-8859-1. If you cannot
read the proceeding sentence, then it's high time for you to upgrade your
newsreader.

Even better would be if we could use Unicode, but I don't think that Usenet
is yet safe for it.

--
--------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
The War on Terra is not meant to be won.

Olivier wrote:

[tales of woe from reckless testing of items]

It can be a useful tactic to test certain items, in spite of the risk.
Knowledge is power. Some perhaps spoily tips for testing items if no
scroll of identify is available:

All items
---------
* It is always useful, and for some object types vital, to identify cursed
items before testing them, or at least have a scroll or spell of remove
curse handy.

* Many of the precautions listed below are to guard against specific item
types, and can be foregone if the type is already identified.

Scrolls
-------
* The scroll of identify is easily price-IDed. When I find a bookstore, I
often buy up all the ?oIs, grab one of each remaining type, and identify
as many of them as I can.

* Before reading an unknown scroll, clear the level and then stand on the
up-stairs to guard against create monster. Stash all flammable items
except the scroll under test, to guard against the scroll of fire. Take
off all armor except your shirt (if any), your suit (if any), and a
throwaway cloak to guard against destroy armor. The cloak will protect
the suit and the shirt. (Exception: if you're wearing cursed armor,
remove all items except the cursed ones. Destroy armor is *not* a useless
scroll.)

* Avoid testing scrolls after you've identified lots of items or learned
some spells, unless you've identified the scroll of amnesia.

Potions
-------
* Clear the level to guard against sleep or paralysis.

* Remove your suit, shirt, and cloak to guard against polymorph, or wear a
ring of polymorph control. (Q: would an amulet of unchanging work?)

Rings and Amulets
-----------------
* Never test these unless you're sure they aren't cursed (or have a scroll
of remove curse ready). An amulet of strangulation can kill you outright,
and certain cursed rings can make your life quite difficult. An amulet of
restful sleep is no fun either if you don't have sleep resistance, and
even if you do, it takes up your amulet slot.

* If, however, you're sure that an unknown amulet isn't cursed, go ahead and
put it on. If it chokes you, you can take it back off again. The
greatest risk is from an amulet of restful sleep kicking in at the wrong
moment, but sleep resistance can counter that. The amulet of ESP will
often be immediately evident. You just might get lucky and find it's life
saving or reflection.

* If you test an uncursed ring, and nothing obvious happens, take it off
again. You don't want an uncontrolled polymorph to wreck your armor or
unneeded regeneration to add to your hunger.

Armor in General
----------------
* I go ahead and put on a new piece of armor if I know it's nonmagical and,
assuming +0 enchantment, it would improve my AC without adding excessive
weight. I also prefer mithril over iron armor even with a lower AC,
because of the lesser weight. Plate mail is so heavy that it is nearly
useless.

* There are several ways to get rid of cursed armor: remove curse, destroy
armor, polymorph, enchant armor, theft by a nymph, removal by a foocubus.
Boots of levitation can be removed by floating over a sink.

Helmets, Boots, and Gloves
--------------------------
* Certain of these items are never magical, and you may want to try one on
if it could improve your AC. There is of course a chance of a cursed
item, so weigh the risks of getting a cursed item versus getting clobbered
due to inadequate armor.

* Certain other types are often magical, and some can be quite nasty: helm
of opposite alignment, gauntlets of fumbling, fumble boots. Boots of
levitation are a useful item if uncursed, but very nasty if cursed.

* The helm of opposite alignment auto-curses when you put it on, and takes
away any divine protection you may have; hence it's not safe even if
uncursed. Fortunately uncursed HoOAs are rare.

* The conical hat is useless if you're not a wizard, and best not donned
unidentified even if you are.

Cloaks
------
* There are no harmful cloaks in vanilla NH (I think Slash'EM has a couple),
so go ahead and try these on. But beware of cursed cloaks of invisibility
in shops.

* Mummy wrappings have zero base protection and are cursed a bit more often
than is good to risk.

Gray Stones
-----------
* Beware the loadstone. Always kick an unknown gray stone before you pick
it up, making sure there's a square into which your kick can propel it.
If you get "Thump!" instead of propelling the stone, don't even touch it.
Loadstones curse themselves when picked up.

--
--------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
The War on Terra is not meant to be won.
Delendae sunt RIAA, MPAA et Windoze
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 5:56:46 PM

I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
Jove got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 21:26:20 +0100, Ugly Newt
> <gkennington@claIrVOYaNT.coLD.DuCk> wrote:
> >I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
> >Jove got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
> >> Hoping Ugly Newt gets better real soon,
> >
> >Only so much you can do with =s of Adornment, no matter how much you
> >charge them up. (My other option was Snoring Lynx - you see where I'm
> >going with this?)
>
> Yes, I think so. (Where's that website again?) I was
> referring to someone who claimed a witch "Turned me into a
> newt!", but then subsequently got better.

Peasant #3, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I remembered that line,
only after you'd made the reference, and thought "damn, why didn't I
think of that?". Hmm, this calls for a five-line silly-message patch...

Glyn

--
Glyn Kennington - remove caps from email address to reply
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 9:14:07 PM

John Campbell <jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com> wrote:

> Jove wrote:
> > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:42:46 +0200, Olivier <Olve@nowhere.wd>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >>Happy of it while still alive :-p O.
> >
> > That's :-Þ to you. :-)
>
> There's no guarantee that the thorn will be displayed correctly
> on any given machine. It's Extended ASCII, at best, which has never been
> properly standardized across platforms.

Then again, it _is_ part of ISO-8859-1, so it is more portable than some
of the other non-ASCII characters. See, for example, M$'s dumb-quotes
problem.
There's more than that, though: Usenet is still, never mind what
Outhouse wants you to think, a seven-bit medium, so there's no guarantee
that someone at another server may even see your character 222 to
display. It might be transmitted to some places as :-^.

> 'p' or 'b' may be less aesthetically appealing, but they're low-half
> ASCII and work universally.

My own preference is :-P.

Richard
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 9:14:08 PM

Richard Bos wrote:

> There's more than that, though: Usenet is still, never mind what
> Outhouse wants you to think, a seven-bit medium,

Can you name even ONE SITE that isn't eight bit clean?

--
--------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
The War on Terra is not meant to be won.
Delendae sunt RIAA, MPAA et Windoze
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:46:29 PM

Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> wrote:
> Martin Crisp wrote:
>
>> Dunno what diff Falcon's Eye makes to the equation, but try
>> setting:
>> OPTIONS=name:p layer
>>
>> in your ~/.nethackrc to fix the player naming problem
>
> <pricks up ears> That would probably help my daughters who would like to
> play characters not named after them. Any suggestions on how to make
> Falcon's Eye save its game? I *think* I've fixed all the permissions
> problems (at least it finds its bones files now).

Have you tried Vulture's Eye, which is a fork of Falcon's Eye, and is
also actively being developed? You can find it at
http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/vultures/

--
Pasi Kallinen
paxed@alt.org

Ray Chason wrote:

> Gray Stones
> -----------
> * Beware the loadstone. Always kick an unknown gray stone before you
> pick it up, making sure there's a square into which your kick can
> propel it. If you get "Thump!" instead of propelling the stone,
> don't even touch it. Loadstones curse themselves when picked up.

And beware that sometimes, your kicking power is increased, enabling you
to kick even loadstones.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:53:18 AM

I wrote:
> I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
> Jove got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
> > On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 21:26:20 +0100, Ugly Newt
> > <gkennington@claIrVOYaNT.coLD.DuCk> wrote:
> > >I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
> > >Jove got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
> > >
> > >Only so much you can do with =s of Adornment, no matter how much you
> > >charge them up. (My other option was Snoring Lynx - you see where I'm
> > >going with this?)
> >
> > Yes, I think so. (Where's that website again?) I was
> > referring to someone who claimed a witch "Turned me into a
> > newt!", but then subsequently got better.
>
> Peasant #3, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I remembered that line,
> only after you'd made the reference, and thought "damn, why didn't I
> think of that?". Hmm, this calls for a five-line silly-message patch...

....and here it is. Only two lines, in fact. What would be a little
more ambitious, but possibly unbalancing, is for potions of healing to
automatically return you to your original form if currently polymorphed
into a newt.

--- nethack-3.4.3.orig/src/polyself.c 2003-12-07 23:39:13.000000000 +0000
+++ nethack-3.4.3/src/polyself.c 2005-09-04 22:08:06.000000000 +0100
@@ -718,6 +718,8 @@

if (emits_light(youmonst.data))
del_light_source(LS_MONSTER, (genericptr_t)&youmonst);
+ if ( u.umonnum == PM_NEWT )
+ You("get better!");
polyman("return to %s form!", urace.adj);

if (u.uhp < 1) {

Glyn Kennington - remove caps from email address to reply
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!