On dungeon level 5, I can't seem to find the way to the right-hand side of
the level. That is, I've searched several times on each "border" square
(corridors and rooms). I don't have any digging tools, and my path to the
Mines (on level 2) is blocked by back-to-back boulders, so it doesn't look
like I'll be getting any. Any ideas? Force bolt everything perhaps?

----.-------
|..........|
|..........-#
|......^...|#
|..........|#
|..........|#
--|---------#
## #
# #
### #
# #
# #
# #########%######
------|- #----- # ---.-------
|.......####|`.}| ###|.........|
|...<..| #-.{.| #..........|
|..`...| #|...-######|.........|
|.......####----- -----------
--------

Cheers!
Ben

Ben Kimball wrote:
> On dungeon level 5, I can't seem to find the way to the right-hand side of
> the level. That is, I've searched several times on each "border" square
> (corridors and rooms). I don't have any digging tools, and my path to the
> Mines (on level 2) is blocked by back-to-back boulders, so it doesn't look
> like I'll be getting any. Any ideas? Force bolt everything perhaps?

Force bolt can certainly take care of the boulders...

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

Ben Kimball wrote:
> On dungeon level 5, I can't seem to find the way to the right-hand side of
> the level. That is, I've searched several times on each "border" square
> (corridors and rooms). I don't have any digging tools, and my path to the
> Mines (on level 2) is blocked by back-to-back boulders, so it doesn't look
> like I'll be getting any. Any ideas? Force bolt everything perhaps?

map snipped!

Search more [1] or go to back to back boulders strip all and drop all,
squeeze in between the boulders move the second boulder forward once and
the other back twice, pick up everything and wear and wield what you
like, push boulders so you can move. Here is the sequence:

###´´@## strip, drop and squeeze.
###´@%## (% is your stuff) push forward once.
##´@´%## push backward twice.
##´##@´# pick up, wear and wield.

Figure which way is better to do from left to right or vice verse or
from top to bottom or vice verse.

[1] Search also the bottom walls of the two rightmost rooms and top wall
of the top room.

Topi
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Topi Linkala wrote:

> Ben Kimball wrote:
>> On dungeon level 5, I can't seem to find the way to the right-hand side of
>> the level...
>
> Search more [1] or go to back to back boulders strip all and drop all,
> squeeze in between the boulders move the second boulder forward once and
> the other back twice, pick up everything and wear and wield what you
> like, push boulders so you can move.

Perfect! Thanks very much. As G.I. Joe says, knowing is half the battle! Too
bad the other half was YASD.

Cheers,
Ben

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 14:43:21 -0500, Ben Kimball
<zubin@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

>On dungeon level 5, I can't seem to find the way to the right-hand side of
>the level. That is, I've searched several times on each "border" square
>(corridors and rooms). I don't have any digging tools, and my path to the
>Mines (on level 2) is blocked by back-to-back boulders, so it doesn't look
>like I'll be getting any. Any ideas? Force bolt everything perhaps?
>
> ----.-------
> |..........|
> |..........-#*
> |......^...|#*
> |..........|#*
> |..........|#*
> --|---------#*
> ## #*
> # #*
> ### #*
> # #*
> # #*************
> # #########%######
> ------|- #----- # ---.-------
> |.......####|`.}| ###|.........|Here
> |...<..| #-.{.| #..........|Here
> |..`...| #|...-######|.........|Here
> |.......####----- -----------
> --------

When searching for a secret door that I *know* is there I use
"n11s" to search eleven times in a row. Sometimes I have to do
it three times before I find the door. That's at least 23
searches to find it (as a wizard.)

Force bolt is a nice secret door finder, but I'd try the walls
I've marked with "Here" first. Just use mix in an occasional
force bolt with your searching so you don't run yourself
completely out of Power.

NB. Each search command checks the surrounding eight squares.
So move three squares along after each extended search.

Don't forget the bottom wall of the bottom right (and possibly
bottom middle) rooms, depending on how close they are to the edge
of the map. Ditto for the top wall of the top room.

The right-hand corridor (that I've marked with asterisks) also
looks like a good place to search for a hidden corridor. I don't
know if force bolt will find hidden corridors. I usually search
corridors by doing move, search, move, search, etc. Each wall of
the corridor gets searched three times. (It's a nice frenetic
activity to take off some of the frustration.)

If that trap in the upper room is a hole or trap door, you
could jump into it and come back up.

Or you could use Force bolt on the back to back boulders
blocking you from the mines.

--
All the best,

Jove

Jove wrote:

> The right-hand corridor (that I've marked with asterisks) also
> looks like a good place to search for a hidden corridor. I don't
> know if force bolt will find hidden corridors. I usually search
> corridors by doing move, search, move, search, etc. Each wall of
> the corridor gets searched three times. (It's a nice frenetic
> activity to take off some of the frustration.)

I don't know if force bolt will find hidden corridors, but I know
kicking sometimes will. So one of my most stupid YASD was
dying because I kicked walls a little too much...

chlorine

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Ben Kimball <zubin@mail.utexas.edu> wrote in

> On dungeon level 5, I can't seem to find the way to the right-hand side of
> the level. That is, I've searched several times on each "border" square
> (corridors and rooms). I don't have any digging tools, and my path to the
> Mines (on level 2) is blocked by back-to-back boulders, so it doesn't look
> like I'll be getting any. Any ideas? Force bolt everything perhaps?
>
> ----.-------
> |..........|
> |..........-#
> |......^...|#
> |..........|#
> |..........|#
> --|---------#
> ## #
> # #
> ### #
> # #
> # #
> # #########%######
> ------|- #----- # ---.-------
> |.......####|`.}| ###|.........|
> |...<..| #-.{.| #..........|
> |..`...| #|...-######|.........|
> |.......####----- -----------
> --------
>
> Cheers!
> Ben

Sometimes telepathy can show you where the door is when you haven't located
it: The monster will move to the edge of the room and away again.

seraphim

"chlorine" <chlorine@free.fr> wrote in news:1125659207.306624.196600
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Jove wrote:
>>
>> The right-hand corridor (that I've marked with asterisks) also
>> looks like a good place to search for a hidden corridor. I don't
>> know if force bolt will find hidden corridors. I usually search
>> corridors by doing move, search, move, search, etc. Each wall of
>> the corridor gets searched three times. (It's a nice frenetic
>> activity to take off some of the frustration.)
>
> I don't know if force bolt will find hidden corridors, but I know
> kicking sometimes will. So one of my most stupid YASD was
> dying because I kicked walls a little too much...

If there is a door (hidden or normal) then forcebolt will smash it
down. I use this a lot when I am in a cooridor that ends and I think
that there is hidden door leading to a room.

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 21:54:43 +0000 (UTC), Seraphim
<gme6@cornell.edu> wrote:

>"chlorine" <chlorine@free.fr> wrote in news:1125659207.306624.196600
>@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>

>> Jove wrote:
>>>
>>> The right-hand corridor (that I've marked with asterisks) also
>>> looks like a good place to search for a hidden corridor. I don't
>>> know if force bolt will find hidden corridors. I usually search
>>> corridors by doing move, search, move, search, etc. Each wall of
>>> the corridor gets searched three times. (It's a nice frenetic
>>> activity to take off some of the frustration.)
>>
>> I don't know if force bolt will find hidden corridors, but I know
>> kicking sometimes will. So one of my most stupid YASD was
>> dying because I kicked walls a little too much...
>
>If there is a door (hidden or normal) then forcebolt will smash it
>down. I use this a lot when I am in a cooridor that ends and I think
>that there is hidden door leading to a room.

Yes, but we were talking about hidden *corridors*, which are
definitely not secret doors.

--
All the best,

Jove

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 21:54:43 +0000 (UTC), Seraphim
> <gme6@cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>>"chlorine" <chlorine@free.fr> wrote in news:1125659207.306624.196600
>>@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>>> I don't know if force bolt will find hidden corridors, but I know
>>> kicking sometimes will. So one of my most stupid YASD was
>>> dying because I kicked walls a little too much...
>>
>>If there is a door (hidden or normal) then forcebolt will smash it
>>down. I use this a lot when I am in a cooridor that ends and I think
>>that there is hidden door leading to a room.
>
> Yes, but we were talking about hidden *corridors*, which are
> definitely not secret doors.

yes, but the door to them is...