Most embarrassing death?

Last response: in Video Games
September 2, 2005 3:10:49 PM

Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...

Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...

There is a chest here.
*THUD*
*THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
*THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
DYWYPI?

Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.

Is there a more stupid death possible?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

More about : embarrassing death

September 2, 2005 3:38:55 PM

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:

> Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
> kicking open a locked chest

> Is there a more stupid death possible?

I recently died from kicking a fox corpse. I don't remember
why I wanted to move it out of the way. At least you had
a *reason* for kicking the chest.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 3:46:08 PM

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
> Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
>
> Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
>
> There is a chest here.
> *THUD*
> *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
> *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
> DYWYPI?
>
> Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
> kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
> embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
>
> Is there a more stupid death possible?

Looking in my log file, I see "Petrified by elementary physics". It
took me a minute to figure out what that was referring to . . .
September 2, 2005 4:37:56 PM

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
> Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
>
> Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
>
> There is a chest here.
> *THUD*
> *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
> *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
> DYWYPI?
>
> Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
> kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
> embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
>
> Is there a more stupid death possible?

Being killed by a ghost might be quite embarrassing too. I wanted to
kill it so I pressed the movement key and waited. I guess it was
tougher than me...
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 8:39:48 PM

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:

> Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
> kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
> embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
>
> Is there a more stupid death possible?

I think mine's pretty similar. Died by kicking a sink. Just one of
those things, I guess...
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 9:30:12 PM

I once died on turn two by a boulder trap.
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 11:15:02 PM

"Nathan" <ntspam2@netscape.net> writes:
> I recently died from kicking a fox corpse. I don't remember
> why I wanted to move it out of the way. At least you had
> a *reason* for kicking the chest.

I would not kick the lifeless fox.
I ought not kick the locked large box.
I do not kick the closed shop door,
Nor random objects 'cross the floor

I may name fruit "green eggs and ham"
But still won't kick it, ntspam2-I-Am.

//sorry, don't know where that lot came from...
September 2, 2005 11:51:24 PM

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
> Is there a more stupid death possible?

I always thought dying from repeatedly falling off your horse was a
pretty ignominious way to go.

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
September 3, 2005 12:40:28 AM

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
> Is there a more stupid death possible?

Not exactly a death but my very first game went something like this:

There is a staircase up here.
<
Beware! There will be no return! Still climb? (yn) y
DYWYPI?

Yes, one turn and one turn only. Though it was the entrance to the dungeon...

Greetings,
Benjamin

--
Today, memory either forgets things when you don't want it to,
or remembers things long after they're better forgotten.

Alexis wrote:

> pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Is there a more stupid death possible?
>
> I always thought dying from repeatedly falling off your horse was a
> pretty ignominious way to go.

Happened to my daughter (a Knight) the other day. I could ride my silver
dragon without a glitch, though.

Raisse, petrified by a chickatrice
September 3, 2005 1:22:42 AM

In article <4318a589$0$11069$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Raisse the
Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> says...
> Alexis wrote:
>
> > pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
> >> Is there a more stupid death possible?
> >
> > I always thought dying from repeatedly falling off your horse was a
> > pretty ignominious way to go.
>
> Happened to my daughter (a Knight) the other day. I could ride my silver
> dragon without a glitch, though.
>
> Raisse, petrified by a chickatrice

There's an entry in my logfile of a Knight falling off his pony on dungeon
level 1, max 16 HP. IIRC he did it twice in succession.

Now my Knights wait till they are XP level 3 before mounting.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 1:22:43 AM

Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

> Now my Knights wait till they are XP level 3 before mounting.

Oh pshaw, I dance with succubi whenever I get a sink on DL1.

Oh wait, you were talking about something completely different.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 1:23:08 AM

micromoog wrote:

> Looking in my log file, I see "Petrified by elementary physics". It
> took me a minute to figure out what that was referring to . . .

"What goes up, must come down"?

Raisse, petrified by a chickatrice

September 3, 2005 1:24:03 AM

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
> Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
>
> Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
>
> There is a chest here.
> *THUD*
> *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
> *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
> DYWYPI?
>
> Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
> kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
> embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
>
> Is there a more stupid death possible?

Levitating over a sink, and dying from the resulting crash to the ground

--
-JH
Ascended V,A,W(x2),B,K,Ro,C,S,H,T,Ra,P

Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> wrote in

> pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Is there a more stupid death possible?
>
> Not exactly a death but my very first game went something like this:
>
> There is a staircase up here.
> <
> Beware! There will be no return! Still climb? (yn) y
> DYWYPI?
>
> Yes, one turn and one turn only. Though it was the entrance to the
> dungeon...

If it makes you feel any better I did the exact same thing.
September 3, 2005 4:14:21 AM

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
> Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
>
> Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
>
> There is a chest here.
> *THUD*
> *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
> *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
> DYWYPI?
>
> Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
> kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
> embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
>
> Is there a more stupid death possible?
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Brian P.

All my YASD's have started to blur into each other (at least the ones
that my mind hasn't suppressed), but accidentally drowning my first and
only ascension-ready character by taking off his ring of levitation
while still over water definitely ranks up there in terms of pure,
unprovoked stupidity.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:42:56 AM

On 2 Sep 2005 11:10:49 -0700, pendell@hotmail.com wrote:

>Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
>
>Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
>
>There is a chest here.
>*THUD*
>*THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
>*THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
>DYWYPI?
>
>Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
>kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
>embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
>
>Is there a more stupid death possible?
>
>Respectfully,
>
>Brian P.

Did you see my post about tracking a floating eye via telepathy
(blindfold every so often)? Then running into the eye *anyway*
*without* the blindfold and dying as a result?

Yours was a "Well, I'll never do *that* again," death.

Mine was an "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you
to recognize a mistake when you make it again," death.

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 12:37:02 PM

JH wrote:

> Levitating over a sink, and dying from the resulting crash to the ground

Oh yes! And trying to escape downstairs when at 1 HP and burdened.

Raisse, killed by falling downstairs
September 3, 2005 3:34:08 PM

zmf wrote:

> I once died on turn two by a boulder trap.

That's not embarrassing at all, just unlucky.

Technically, you could perhaps call it uncareful, since the boulder
would have been visible, and that might have prompted you to search in
that room before moving.

I never do, though, if only because a first level character has only a
small chance of finding hidden traps and secret doors.

Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:37:49 PM

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
> Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
>
> Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
>
> There is a chest here.
> *THUD*
> *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
> *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
> DYWYPI?
>
> Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
> kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
> embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
>
> Is there a more stupid death possible?

Switching from my at-most-two-hits-to-kill-every-creature-Grayswandir
to a cockatrice corpse when a '&' approaches, just to observe that the
creature is no aggressive demon but some foocubus who is only interested
in taking off your gloves.

Janis
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:56:12 PM

pendell@hotmail.com writes:
> Is there a more stupid death possible?

Starvation.

In Gehennom.

On the way back up with the Amulet.

After having used a wish.

On a wand of create monster.

(Ok, I can see my thought patterns there. Doesn't stop them being
mind-bogglingly stupid, though. Yes, the _correct_ wish would have
been a horn of plenty.)

: "Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both :
: 'No' and 'Yes' and 'Try another newsgroup'." :
: -- Usenet Rule 17. :
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 9:48:12 PM

Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> writes:

> Not exactly a death but my very first game went something like this:
> There is a staircase up here.
> <
> Beware! There will be no return! Still climb? (yn) y
> DYWYPI?

So, with your very first game of Nethack, you DID NOT DIE!
You can be proud of that, many of us oldtimers can not say the same thing
of our own first games.

--
Jukka Lahtinen
Anonymous

"zmf" <zombiemetalfreak@gmail.com> writes:

> I once died on turn two by a boulder trap.

At least you hadn't spent much time and effort to that game.

My latest game ended when I got killed by Croesus.. yeah, overconfident
and careless, I thought I could hit him once more before retreating.

That was my first death since January. The bottom of my logfile looks like
this:
3.4.3 2235 0 6 6 0 56 1 20050130 20050125 500 Tou Hum Fem Neu jukka,killed
by a kitten {3760}
3.4.3 5211084 7 -5 50 135 289 0 20050521 20050130 500 Val Hum Mal Law
jukka,ascended {78566}
3.4.3 324481 5 21 21 -14 136 1 20050828 20050618 500 Sam Hum Mal Law
jukka,killed by Croesus {33199}

Yes, I haven't played much lately and there was almost a month without
playing at all. That is mostly because of a certain hum-fem called Asta.
I moved to my current home with her in February and we got married in
July.. I have had other things in my mind and spent less time with the
computer than I used to.

--
Jukka Lahtinen
Anonymous

i just did that yesterday.... but it was after ~60000 turns.
apparently someone stole the amulet from me and i didnt double check.
up to that instant, i thought i would be making a YAFAP today. :(

1 1965608 smitty-Val-Hum-Fem-Law escaped the dungeon [max level
45]. 325 [325]

-smitty

On 2005-09-02 14:40:28 -0400, Benjamin Schieder
<blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> said:

> Not exactly a death but my very first game went something like this:
>
> There is a staircase up here.
> <
> Beware! There will be no return! Still climb? (yn) y
> DYWYPI?
>
> Yes, one turn and one turn only. Though it was the entrance to the dungeon...
>
> Greetings,
> Benjamin
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 9:59:27 AM

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 19:11:38 -0400, Tom Smith <smitty97 at ptd dot
net> wrote:

<top posting corrected>

>On 2005-09-02 14:40:28 -0400, Benjamin Schieder
><blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> said:
>>
>> Not exactly a death but my very first game went something like this:
>>
>> There is a staircase up here.
>> <
>> Beware! There will be no return! Still climb? (yn) y
>> DYWYPI?
>>
>> Yes, one turn and one turn only. Though it was the entrance to the dungeon...
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Benjamin
>

>i just did that yesterday.... but it was after ~60000 turns.
>apparently someone stole the amulet from me and i didnt double check.
>up to that instant, i thought i would be making a YAFAP today. :(
>
>1 1965608 smitty-Val-Hum-Fem-Law escaped the dungeon [max level
>45]. 325 [325]
>
>-smitty

You made it that far, you'll do it again. Bet that's your new
high score by a long shot. And by my reckoning, that's one of
the best endings to the game (behind ascension) because you
survived. And survival is what Nethack is all about.

See:
<http://groups.google.gg/group/rec.games.roguelike.netha...;

By the way, don't top post. It leaves the conversation in the
wrong order, which irritates readers. (You are posting for
others to read, aren't you?) If you can escape the dungeon after
getting the amulet, correct posting style should be a snap.)

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:28:36 AM

<pendell@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a more stupid death possible?

My stupidest expirations:

1) Eating Medusa.
2) A dwarf genociding master mind flayers with a blessed scroll.
3) Level 2 character wishing for, then grasping, an artifact.

--
Bobby Schmidt
Anonymous

This one just happened....

"You fall down the stairs. Falling, you touch the cockatrice corpse.
You turn to stone"

Now thats embarrasing
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:10:27 AM

pendell@hotmail.com schrieb:

> Is there a more stupid death possible?
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Brian P.

try this for size

1) Knight in shiny armor, feasting on black dragon in the castle, gets
warning that he has a hard-time getting it all down, being happy that
he is disint-resistant, he goes into the food-storage, opens a tin, hey
it's spinach, eat it, insta-death!
2) Wizard at Ft. Ludious quaffes potion of enlightenment, hey what is
missing is poison resistance, i do have Amulet of poison resistance and
Amulet of life saving, but keep on the amulet of reflection. Wizard
clears Croesus room, goes on to loot the vault, falls into pit, spiked
pit, poisoned spiked pit, instadeath!
3) Monk sits on throne, gets genocide wish, decides for "master mind
flayers", Nethack eliminates all "Monks", instadeath
4) Priest with Amulet of reflection heads for Ft. Ludious. Nymph steals
"some stuff", priests recollects stuff, heads for Ludious, meets black
dragon, gets disintegrated. The nymph had also stolen the Amulet of
reflection and the priest had forgotten to put it on again.

A painful stupid death should eliminate hours of playing time due to
real stupidity. A death at level 1 doesn't hurt at all, a choked knight
at the castle, that is hurting, painful and embarrassing.... and funny
:-)

Regards

Uli
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:55:16 AM

I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
anon got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
[snip]
> All my YASD's have started to blur into each other (at least the ones
> that my mind hasn't suppressed), but accidentally drowning my first and
> only ascension-ready character by taking off his ring of levitation
> while still over water definitely ranks up there in terms of pure,
> unprovoked stupidity.

My two most memorable stupid deaths, in that they were completely
avoidable and killed off promising characters:

1) Caveman leaving the Quest - there's that awkward part where you can't
fit through the passage when burdened, and I didn't want to (t)hrow the
BoH through the gap, so I stripped down and carried things through in
multiple runs. Some pesky little monster was in the way, and I whacked
it, forgetting that I'd removed both the gloves and the weapon. You can
guess what kind of pesky little monster it was.

2) A character that caught lycanthropy (on Medusa's level, IIRC). I was
rushing and failed to notice the "you feel feverish" message, and only
found out a bit later when I suddenly changed form. After turning back,
I quickly scoffed a sprig of wolfsbane, forgetting that I'd already
eaten a large corpse recently and still had the =oSD on.

--
Glyn Kennington - remove caps from email address to reply
Anonymous

Ugly Newt wrote:

> 1) Caveman leaving the Quest - there's that awkward part where you
> can't fit through the passage when burdened, and I didn't want to
> (t)hrow the BoH through the gap, so I stripped down and carried
> things through in multiple runs.

Why wouldn't you throw the bag?

Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 8:22:07 AM

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 02:21:14 +0200, "Boudewijn Waijers"
<kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

>Ugly Newt wrote:
>
>> 1) Caveman leaving the Quest - there's that awkward part where you
>> can't fit through the passage when burdened, and I didn't want to
>> (t)hrow the BoH through the gap, so I stripped down and carried
>> things through in multiple runs.
>
>Why wouldn't you throw the bag?

You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
You hear a muffled shatter -more-
<ESC>

<Sound of forehead hitting keyboard>

Guess how I know that? :-(

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 10:23:34 AM

On 4 Sep 2005 23:10:27 -0700, uli2003wien@lycos.at wrote:

>pendell@hotmail.com schrieb:

>> Is there a more stupid death possible?
>>
>> Respectfully,
>>
>> Brian P.
>
>try this for size

<Snip awe inspiring tales of The Dread Lord YasD(TM) acts>

>A painful stupid death should eliminate hours of playing time due to
>real stupidity. A death at level 1 doesn't hurt at all, a choked knight
>at the castle, that is hurting, painful and embarrassing.... and funny
>:-)

All very, very true. A good example of a soul-destroying YASD
is choking in Moloch's Sanctum. But this thread's about
embarrassment....

;^D

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:37:53 AM

In article <1125900627.687016.207620@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<uli2003wien@lycos.at> says...
> 3) Monk sits on throne, gets genocide wish, decides for "master mind
> flayers", Nethack eliminates all "Monks", instadeath

/me is confused

How did that happen?
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:57:49 AM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 04:22:07 GMT, Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> scribed
into the ether:

>On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 02:21:14 +0200, "Boudewijn Waijers"
><kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
>
>>Ugly Newt wrote:
>>
>>> 1) Caveman leaving the Quest - there's that awkward part where you
>>> can't fit through the passage when burdened, and I didn't want to
>>> (t)hrow the BoH through the gap, so I stripped down and carried
>>> things through in multiple runs.
>>
>>Why wouldn't you throw the bag?
>>

> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
> <ESC>
>

> <Sound of forehead hitting keyboard>
>

> Guess how I know that? :-(

That's only normal bags and boxes/chests, yes? Since BoHs are
extra-dimensional, their contents are protected from impacts.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:59:57 AM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:37:53 GMT, Andrew Kerr
<andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> scribed into the ether:

>In article <1125900627.687016.207620@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
><uli2003wien@lycos.at> says...
>> 3) Monk sits on throne, gets genocide wish, decides for "master mind
>> flayers", Nethack eliminates all "Monks", instadeath
>>
>/me is confused
>
>How did that happen?

Maybe he was confused when he made the geno request?
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:19:30 PM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:57:49 GMT, Matt Frisch
<matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 04:22:07 GMT, Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> scribed
>into the ether:
>
>>On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 02:21:14 +0200, "Boudewijn Waijers"
>><kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

>>>Why wouldn't you throw the bag?
>>>

>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
>> <ESC>
>>

>> <Sound of forehead hitting keyboard>
>>

>> Guess how I know that? :-(
>
>That's only normal bags and boxes/chests, yes? Since BoHs are
>extra-dimensional, their contents are protected from impacts.

I like your thinking, but no. It was a bag of holding that
was thrown.

--
All the best,

Jove
September 5, 2005 1:23:29 PM

andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> <uli2003wien@lycos.at> says...
> > 3) Monk sits on throne, gets genocide wish, decides for "master mind
> > flayers", Nethack eliminates all "Monks", instadeath
> >
> /me is confused
>
> How did that happen?

There is a bug (well, at least, I think it's a bug, some may think it
just reflects the evil that is NH), where if you mis-spell 'master mind
flayers' as 'master mindflayers', NH wipes out all masters instead.
Master is a monk level title, so...

You can do the same thing with any class, e.g. genociding
'excursionists' will wipe out all tourists. Fun.

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
September 5, 2005 1:50:49 PM

pendell@hotmail.com writes:

> Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
>
> Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
>
> There is a chest here.
> *THUD*
> *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
> *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
> DYWYPI?
>
> Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
> kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
> embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
>
> Is there a more stupid death possible?

Pacifist healer, found a WoW at level three.
[Note that a pacifist usually becomes second
level at the oracle.] I blew up over 30
pacifist trials before.

Great, now this will rock. Let's see.. what do I
need first, charging, now.. Of course, the PYEC.

You are blasted by the PYECs power!
You die..

DYWYPI?

I stopped trying pacifists.

Best,
Jakob
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 1:58:52 PM

uli2003wien@lycos.at wrote:

> 1) Knight in shiny armor, feasting on black dragon in the castle, gets
> warning that he has a hard-time getting it all down, being happy that
> he is disint-resistant, he goes into the food-storage, opens a tin, hey
> it's spinach, eat it, insta-death!

Ooh, and mine: one of the dragons in the castle is a blue one, my Wiz
isn't shock resistant yet so she eats it, then goes into the food storage
and has a fortune cookie for dessert.

The most embarrassing thing about that: it happened *twice*, in different
games.

And the time I got a ring from a sink and thought "last time that happened
it was levitation and I crashed on the sink and died", and I tried it on,
and it was levitation and I crashed on the sink and died.

Raisse, choked on a fortune cookie

September 5, 2005 2:12:15 PM

Matt Frisch wrote:

> That's only normal bags and boxes/chests, yes? Since BoHs are
> extra-dimensional, their contents are protected from impacts.

I fooled around with BoH and potions in explore mode a bit and it seems to
be true. Strange, because I remember the same thing as Boudewijn. Perhaps
he and I both had a sack or an oilskin sack.

Raisse, killed by a carnivorous bag

September 5, 2005 2:49:27 PM

Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> In article <1125900627.687016.207620@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

> > 3) Monk sits on throne, gets genocide wish, decides for "master mind
> > flayers", Nethack eliminates all "Monks", instadeath

> /me is confused
> How did that happen?

The monk was also confused.

--
Jukka Lahtinen
Anonymous

Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:

> I like your thinking, but no. It was a bag of holding that
> was thrown.

No, it wasn't.

The function container_impact_dmg() specifically checks if the thrown
container is a bag of holding and returns without destroying anything
if this is the case.

Throwing a bag of holding is 100% safe.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 6:45:05 PM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 13:41:46 +0300, Tommi Syrjanen
<tommi.syrjanen@enough.spam.hut.fi> wrote:

>Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>> I like your thinking, but no. It was a bag of holding that
>> was thrown.
>
>No, it wasn't.
>
>The function container_impact_dmg() specifically checks if the thrown
>container is a bag of holding and returns without destroying anything
>if this is the case.
>
>Throwing a bag of holding is 100% safe.

Glad to learn I'm wrong. :-D I still remember it as a bag of
holding. I just remember it wrong.

--
All the best,

Jove
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 7:45:42 PM

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
> Is there a more stupid death possible?

44 Merlin2-Wiz-Hum-Mal-Neu died in The Dungeons of Doom
on level 1. Killed by a boomerang. - [12]

I found a boomerang in the first room and threw it around a few times.
My wizard, being none too skilled in the art of boomerang-throwing, died
from the resulting injuries.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 11:42:45 PM

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> Matt Frisch wrote:

>> That's only normal bags and boxes/chests, yes? Since BoHs are
>> extra-dimensional, their contents are protected from impacts.

> I fooled around with BoH and potions in explore mode a bit and it
> seems to be true. Strange, because I remember the same thing as
> Boudewijn. Perhaps he and I both had a sack or an oilskin sack.

Note that I did *not*. I even asked why Jove didn't throw the bag.

I distinctly remember sometimes having thrown a bag without things
breaking, so it must have been a bag of holding.

I do remember dropping a bag once while levitating and losing all
potions and other breakables.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 12:10:41 AM

I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
Jove got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
> On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 13:41:46 +0300, Tommi Syrjanen
> <tommi.syrjanen@enough.spam.hut.fi> wrote:
>
> >Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:
> >> I like your thinking, but no. It was a bag of holding that
> >> was thrown.
> >
> >No, it wasn't.
> >
> >The function container_impact_dmg() specifically checks if the thrown
> >container is a bag of holding and returns without destroying anything
> >if this is the case.
> >
> >Throwing a bag of holding is 100% safe.
>
> Glad to learn I'm wrong. :-D I still remember it as a bag of
> holding. I just remember it wrong.

Likewise, I remember not wanting to throw the thing. I can't remember
whether it was actually a BoH (if it had only been some kind of sack,
that would have explained why the character was even more burdened than
usual), but I wasn't aware of the BoH exemption, and wasn't taking
chances - that character was (and still is) my most successful
illiterate ever.

--
Glyn Kennington - remove caps from email address to reply
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 12:13:43 AM

BManx2000 wrote:
> pendell@hotmail.com wrote:

> 44 Merlin2-Wiz-Hum-Mal-Neu died in The Dungeons of Doom
> on level 1. Killed by a boomerang. - [12]

> I found a boomerang in the first room and threw it around a few times.
> My wizard, being none too skilled in the art of boomerang-throwing,
> died from the resulting injuries.

I'd say he was very skilled in boomerang throwing: lethal skill I should
say.

His boomerang *catching* skills needed some improving, however.

--
Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 3:12:51 AM

pendell@hotmail.com wrote:

> Is there a more stupid death possible?

Kicking inanimate objects is one of the more embarrassing ways to go.
Done so several times myself in the past. A change of the kickboxing
game in the newer versions has cured me of that, though. However, in
stupidity it doesn't even come close to this classic:

Years ago I was playing a healer this 3.0 version of the game and things
were going smoothly. Since you were able to get extra HP from spell of
extra healing in that version I was soon above 1200 hp and had no worry
in this world. Soon I had the amulet in my hand with Rodney on my trail.
But I had ways of fixing _that_. Find the stairs up. Wait for Rodney.
Hurl !oParalysis at Rodney. Leave. That actually took care of him for
the rest of the game in version 3.0. Only problem: It made the endgame
too easy. Well, I got there and went looking for the altar only bothered
by minor meanies since L (the worst in 3.0) was genocided and Rodney
frozen somewhere in Gehennom.

At the point where i was only a few steps away from the altar I
suddently felt an urge to sneeze and I did so without having the sense
to remove _both_ my hands from the keyboard. When I looked at my screen
again i was looking at the following text:

You step into a moat. You sink like a rock. -more
DYWYPI?

Harcon-H Drowned in a moat on the endgame level (with the amulet)

Bah!

I think that's my record.

Happy hacking
Jens

--
Jens Oestergaard
joester@jabberwock.pc.dk -- remove meanie

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:

> Ooh, and mine: one of the dragons in the castle is a blue one, my Wiz
> isn't shock resistant yet so she eats it, then goes into the food storage
> and has a fortune cookie for dessert.

Since I saw the Monty Python movie "The Meaning of Life" I haven't done
that...

> The most embarrassing thing about that: it happened *twice*, in different
> games.

....well, at least I've done it _only once_ after I saw that movie. %-}

Janis
September 6, 2005 6:40:18 AM

Jukka Lahtinen <jslnews@despammed.com> wrote in

> Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
>> In article <1125900627.687016.207620@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>
>> > 3) Monk sits on throne, gets genocide wish, decides for "master mind
>> > flayers", Nethack eliminates all "Monks", instadeath
>
>> /me is confused
>> How did that happen?
>
> The monk was also confused.

I don't think that is what happened.
I would guess that they didn't spell the "mind flayer" part correctly so
the game decided to genocide "master" which is a level 30 monk.
!