Most embarrassing death?

Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...

Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...

There is a chest here.
*THUD*
*THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
*THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
DYWYPI?

Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.

Is there a more stupid death possible?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
54 answers Last reply
More about most embarrassing death

    pendell@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
    > kicking open a locked chest

    > Is there a more stupid death possible?

    I recently died from kicking a fox corpse. I don't remember
    why I wanted to move it out of the way. At least you had
    a *reason* for kicking the chest.

    pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
    >
    > Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
    >
    > There is a chest here.
    > *THUD*
    > *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    > *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    > DYWYPI?
    >
    > Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
    > kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
    > embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
    >
    > Is there a more stupid death possible?

    Looking in my log file, I see "Petrified by elementary physics". It
    took me a minute to figure out what that was referring to . . .

    pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
    >
    > Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
    >
    > There is a chest here.
    > *THUD*
    > *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    > *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    > DYWYPI?
    >
    > Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
    > kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
    > embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
    >
    > Is there a more stupid death possible?

    Being killed by a ghost might be quite embarrassing too. I wanted to
    kill it so I pressed the movement key and waited. I guess it was
    tougher than me...

    pendell@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
    > kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
    > embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
    >
    > Is there a more stupid death possible?

    I think mine's pretty similar. Died by kicking a sink. Just one of
    those things, I guess...

    I once died on turn two by a boulder trap.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Nathan" <ntspam2@netscape.net> writes:
    > I recently died from kicking a fox corpse. I don't remember
    > why I wanted to move it out of the way. At least you had
    > a *reason* for kicking the chest.

    I would not kick the lifeless fox.
    I ought not kick the locked large box.
    I do not kick the closed shop door,
    Nor random objects 'cross the floor

    I may name fruit "green eggs and ham"
    But still won't kick it, ntspam2-I-Am.

    //sorry, don't know where that lot came from...
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Is there a more stupid death possible?

    I always thought dying from repeatedly falling off your horse was a
    pretty ignominious way to go.

    -- A.

    --
    My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

    Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Is there a more stupid death possible?

    Not exactly a death but my very first game went something like this:

    There is a staircase up here.
    <
    Beware! There will be no return! Still climb? (yn) y
    DYWYPI?

    Yes, one turn and one turn only. Though it was the entrance to the dungeon...

    Greetings,
    Benjamin

    --
    Today, memory either forgets things when you don't want it to,
    or remembers things long after they're better forgotten.

    Alexis wrote:

    > pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> Is there a more stupid death possible?
    >
    > I always thought dying from repeatedly falling off your horse was a
    > pretty ignominious way to go.

    Happened to my daughter (a Knight) the other day. I could ride my silver
    dragon without a glitch, though.

    Raisse, petrified by a chickatrice
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <4318a589$0$11069$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>, Raisse the
    Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> says...
    > Alexis wrote:
    >
    > > pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >> Is there a more stupid death possible?
    > >
    > > I always thought dying from repeatedly falling off your horse was a
    > > pretty ignominious way to go.
    >
    > Happened to my daughter (a Knight) the other day. I could ride my silver
    > dragon without a glitch, though.
    >
    > Raisse, petrified by a chickatrice

    There's an entry in my logfile of a Knight falling off his pony on dungeon
    level 1, max 16 HP. IIRC he did it twice in succession.

    Now my Knights wait till they are XP level 3 before mounting.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in

    > Now my Knights wait till they are XP level 3 before mounting.

    Oh pshaw, I dance with succubi whenever I get a sink on DL1.

    Oh wait, you were talking about something completely different.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    micromoog wrote:

    > Looking in my log file, I see "Petrified by elementary physics". It
    > took me a minute to figure out what that was referring to . . .

    "What goes up, must come down"?

    Raisse, petrified by a chickatrice

  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
    >
    > Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
    >
    > There is a chest here.
    > *THUD*
    > *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    > *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    > DYWYPI?
    >
    > Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
    > kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
    > embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
    >
    > Is there a more stupid death possible?

    Levitating over a sink, and dying from the resulting crash to the ground

    --
    -JH
    Ascended V,A,W(x2),B,K,Ro,C,S,H,T,Ra,P

    Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> wrote in

    > pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> Is there a more stupid death possible?
    >
    > Not exactly a death but my very first game went something like this:
    >
    > There is a staircase up here.
    > <
    > Beware! There will be no return! Still climb? (yn) y
    > DYWYPI?
    >
    > Yes, one turn and one turn only. Though it was the entrance to the
    > dungeon...

    If it makes you feel any better I did the exact same thing.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
    >
    > Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
    >
    > There is a chest here.
    > *THUD*
    > *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    > *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    > DYWYPI?
    >
    > Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
    > kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
    > embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
    >
    > Is there a more stupid death possible?
    >
    > Respectfully,
    >
    > Brian P.

    All my YASD's have started to blur into each other (at least the ones
    that my mind hasn't suppressed), but accidentally drowning my first and
    only ascension-ready character by taking off his ring of levitation
    while still over water definitely ranks up there in terms of pure,
    unprovoked stupidity.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 2 Sep 2005 11:10:49 -0700, pendell@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
    >
    >Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
    >
    >There is a chest here.
    >*THUD*
    >*THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    >*THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    >DYWYPI?
    >
    >Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
    >kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
    >embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
    >
    >Is there a more stupid death possible?
    >
    >Respectfully,
    >
    >Brian P.

    Did you see my post about tracking a floating eye via telepathy
    (blindfold every so often)? Then running into the eye *anyway*
    *without* the blindfold and dying as a result?

    Yours was a "Well, I'll never do *that* again," death.

    Mine was an "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you
    to recognize a mistake when you make it again," death.

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    JH wrote:

    > Levitating over a sink, and dying from the resulting crash to the ground

    Oh yes! And trying to escape downstairs when at 1 HP and burdened.

    Raisse, killed by falling downstairs
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    zmf wrote:

    > I once died on turn two by a boulder trap.

    That's not embarrassing at all, just unlucky.

    Technically, you could perhaps call it uncareful, since the boulder
    would have been visible, and that might have prompted you to search in
    that room before moving.

    I never do, though, if only because a first level character has only a
    small chance of finding hidden traps and secret doors.

    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
    >
    > Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
    >
    > There is a chest here.
    > *THUD*
    > *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    > *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    > DYWYPI?
    >
    > Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
    > kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
    > embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
    >
    > Is there a more stupid death possible?

    Switching from my at-most-two-hits-to-kill-every-creature-Grayswandir
    to a cockatrice corpse when a '&' approaches, just to observe that the
    creature is no aggressive demon but some foocubus who is only interested
    in taking off your gloves.

    Janis
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    pendell@hotmail.com writes:
    > Is there a more stupid death possible?

    Starvation.

    In Gehennom.

    On the way back up with the Amulet.

    After having used a wish.

    On a wand of create monster.

    (Ok, I can see my thought patterns there. Doesn't stop them being
    mind-bogglingly stupid, though. Yes, the _correct_ wish would have
    been a horn of plenty.)

    : "Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both :
    : 'No' and 'Yes' and 'Try another newsgroup'." :
    : -- Usenet Rule 17. :
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> writes:

    > Not exactly a death but my very first game went something like this:
    > There is a staircase up here.
    > <
    > Beware! There will be no return! Still climb? (yn) y
    > DYWYPI?

    So, with your very first game of Nethack, you DID NOT DIE!
    You can be proud of that, many of us oldtimers can not say the same thing
    of our own first games.

    --
    Jukka Lahtinen
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "zmf" <zombiemetalfreak@gmail.com> writes:

    > I once died on turn two by a boulder trap.

    At least you hadn't spent much time and effort to that game.

    My latest game ended when I got killed by Croesus.. yeah, overconfident
    and careless, I thought I could hit him once more before retreating.

    That was my first death since January. The bottom of my logfile looks like
    this:
    3.4.3 2235 0 6 6 0 56 1 20050130 20050125 500 Tou Hum Fem Neu jukka,killed
    by a kitten {3760}
    3.4.3 5211084 7 -5 50 135 289 0 20050521 20050130 500 Val Hum Mal Law
    jukka,ascended {78566}
    3.4.3 324481 5 21 21 -14 136 1 20050828 20050618 500 Sam Hum Mal Law
    jukka,killed by Croesus {33199}

    Yes, I haven't played much lately and there was almost a month without
    playing at all. That is mostly because of a certain hum-fem called Asta.
    I moved to my current home with her in February and we got married in
    July.. I have had other things in my mind and spent less time with the
    computer than I used to.

    --
    Jukka Lahtinen
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    i just did that yesterday.... but it was after ~60000 turns.
    apparently someone stole the amulet from me and i didnt double check.
    up to that instant, i thought i would be making a YAFAP today. :(

    1 1965608 smitty-Val-Hum-Fem-Law escaped the dungeon [max level
    45]. 325 [325]

    -smitty

    On 2005-09-02 14:40:28 -0400, Benjamin Schieder
    <blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> said:

    > Not exactly a death but my very first game went something like this:
    >
    > There is a staircase up here.
    > <
    > Beware! There will be no return! Still climb? (yn) y
    > DYWYPI?
    >
    > Yes, one turn and one turn only. Though it was the entrance to the dungeon...
    >
    > Greetings,
    > Benjamin
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 19:11:38 -0400, Tom Smith <smitty97 at ptd dot
    net> wrote:

    <top posting corrected>

    >On 2005-09-02 14:40:28 -0400, Benjamin Schieder
    ><blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> said:
    >>
    >> Not exactly a death but my very first game went something like this:
    >>
    >> There is a staircase up here.
    >> <
    >> Beware! There will be no return! Still climb? (yn) y
    >> DYWYPI?
    >>
    >> Yes, one turn and one turn only. Though it was the entrance to the dungeon...
    >>
    >> Greetings,
    >> Benjamin
    >

    >i just did that yesterday.... but it was after ~60000 turns.
    >apparently someone stole the amulet from me and i didnt double check.
    >up to that instant, i thought i would be making a YAFAP today. :(
    >
    >1 1965608 smitty-Val-Hum-Fem-Law escaped the dungeon [max level
    >45]. 325 [325]
    >
    >-smitty

    You made it that far, you'll do it again. Bet that's your new
    high score by a long shot. And by my reckoning, that's one of
    the best endings to the game (behind ascension) because you
    survived. And survival is what Nethack is all about.

    See:
    <http://groups.google.gg/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/7d5861a6b7c0d476?dmode=source>

    By the way, don't top post. It leaves the conversation in the
    wrong order, which irritates readers. (You are posting for
    others to read, aren't you?) If you can escape the dungeon after
    getting the amulet, correct posting style should be a snap.)

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    <pendell@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Is there a more stupid death possible?

    My stupidest expirations:

    1) Eating Medusa.
    2) A dwarf genociding master mind flayers with a blessed scroll.
    3) Level 2 character wishing for, then grasping, an artifact.

    --
    Bobby Schmidt
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    This one just happened....

    "You fall down the stairs. Falling, you touch the cockatrice corpse.
    You turn to stone"

    Now thats embarrasing
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    pendell@hotmail.com schrieb:

    > Is there a more stupid death possible?
    >
    > Respectfully,
    >
    > Brian P.

    try this for size

    1) Knight in shiny armor, feasting on black dragon in the castle, gets
    warning that he has a hard-time getting it all down, being happy that
    he is disint-resistant, he goes into the food-storage, opens a tin, hey
    it's spinach, eat it, insta-death!
    2) Wizard at Ft. Ludious quaffes potion of enlightenment, hey what is
    missing is poison resistance, i do have Amulet of poison resistance and
    Amulet of life saving, but keep on the amulet of reflection. Wizard
    clears Croesus room, goes on to loot the vault, falls into pit, spiked
    pit, poisoned spiked pit, instadeath!
    3) Monk sits on throne, gets genocide wish, decides for "master mind
    flayers", Nethack eliminates all "Monks", instadeath
    4) Priest with Amulet of reflection heads for Ft. Ludious. Nymph steals
    "some stuff", priests recollects stuff, heads for Ludious, meets black
    dragon, gets disintegrated. The nymph had also stolen the Amulet of
    reflection and the priest had forgotten to put it on again.

    A painful stupid death should eliminate hours of playing time due to
    real stupidity. A death at level 1 doesn't hurt at all, a choked knight
    at the castle, that is hurting, painful and embarrassing.... and funny
    :-)

    Regards

    Uli
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
    anon got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
    [snip]
    > All my YASD's have started to blur into each other (at least the ones
    > that my mind hasn't suppressed), but accidentally drowning my first and
    > only ascension-ready character by taking off his ring of levitation
    > while still over water definitely ranks up there in terms of pure,
    > unprovoked stupidity.

    My two most memorable stupid deaths, in that they were completely
    avoidable and killed off promising characters:

    1) Caveman leaving the Quest - there's that awkward part where you can't
    fit through the passage when burdened, and I didn't want to (t)hrow the
    BoH through the gap, so I stripped down and carried things through in
    multiple runs. Some pesky little monster was in the way, and I whacked
    it, forgetting that I'd removed both the gloves and the weapon. You can
    guess what kind of pesky little monster it was.

    2) A character that caught lycanthropy (on Medusa's level, IIRC). I was
    rushing and failed to notice the "you feel feverish" message, and only
    found out a bit later when I suddenly changed form. After turning back,
    I quickly scoffed a sprig of wolfsbane, forgetting that I'd already
    eaten a large corpse recently and still had the =oSD on.

    --
    Glyn Kennington - remove caps from email address to reply
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Ugly Newt wrote:

    > 1) Caveman leaving the Quest - there's that awkward part where you
    > can't fit through the passage when burdened, and I didn't want to
    > (t)hrow the BoH through the gap, so I stripped down and carried
    > things through in multiple runs.

    Why wouldn't you throw the bag?

    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 02:21:14 +0200, "Boudewijn Waijers"
    <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

    >Ugly Newt wrote:
    >
    >> 1) Caveman leaving the Quest - there's that awkward part where you
    >> can't fit through the passage when burdened, and I didn't want to
    >> (t)hrow the BoH through the gap, so I stripped down and carried
    >> things through in multiple runs.
    >
    >Why wouldn't you throw the bag?

    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    <ESC>

    <Sound of forehead hitting keyboard>

    Guess how I know that? :-(

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 4 Sep 2005 23:10:27 -0700, uli2003wien@lycos.at wrote:

    >pendell@hotmail.com schrieb:

    >> Is there a more stupid death possible?
    >>
    >> Respectfully,
    >>
    >> Brian P.
    >
    >try this for size

    <Snip awe inspiring tales of The Dread Lord YasD(TM) acts>

    >A painful stupid death should eliminate hours of playing time due to
    >real stupidity. A death at level 1 doesn't hurt at all, a choked knight
    >at the castle, that is hurting, painful and embarrassing.... and funny
    >:-)

    All very, very true. A good example of a soul-destroying YASD
    is choking in Moloch's Sanctum. But this thread's about
    embarrassment....

    ;^D

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <1125900627.687016.207620@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    <uli2003wien@lycos.at> says...
    > 3) Monk sits on throne, gets genocide wish, decides for "master mind
    > flayers", Nethack eliminates all "Monks", instadeath

    /me is confused

    How did that happen?
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 04:22:07 GMT, Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> scribed
    into the ether:

    >On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 02:21:14 +0200, "Boudewijn Waijers"
    ><kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
    >
    >>Ugly Newt wrote:
    >>
    >>> 1) Caveman leaving the Quest - there's that awkward part where you
    >>> can't fit through the passage when burdened, and I didn't want to
    >>> (t)hrow the BoH through the gap, so I stripped down and carried
    >>> things through in multiple runs.
    >>
    >>Why wouldn't you throw the bag?
    >>

    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    > <ESC>
    >

    > <Sound of forehead hitting keyboard>
    >

    > Guess how I know that? :-(

    That's only normal bags and boxes/chests, yes? Since BoHs are
    extra-dimensional, their contents are protected from impacts.
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:37:53 GMT, Andrew Kerr
    <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> scribed into the ether:

    >In article <1125900627.687016.207620@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    ><uli2003wien@lycos.at> says...
    >> 3) Monk sits on throne, gets genocide wish, decides for "master mind
    >> flayers", Nethack eliminates all "Monks", instadeath
    >>
    >/me is confused
    >
    >How did that happen?

    Maybe he was confused when he made the geno request?
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 07:57:49 GMT, Matt Frisch
    <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

    >On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 04:22:07 GMT, Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> scribed
    >into the ether:
    >
    >>On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 02:21:14 +0200, "Boudewijn Waijers"
    >><kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

    >>>Why wouldn't you throw the bag?
    >>>

    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> You hear a muffled shatter -more-
    >> <ESC>
    >>

    >> <Sound of forehead hitting keyboard>
    >>

    >> Guess how I know that? :-(
    >
    >That's only normal bags and boxes/chests, yes? Since BoHs are
    >extra-dimensional, their contents are protected from impacts.

    I like your thinking, but no. It was a bag of holding that
    was thrown.

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
    > <uli2003wien@lycos.at> says...
    > > 3) Monk sits on throne, gets genocide wish, decides for "master mind
    > > flayers", Nethack eliminates all "Monks", instadeath
    > >
    > /me is confused
    >
    > How did that happen?

    There is a bug (well, at least, I think it's a bug, some may think it
    just reflects the evil that is NH), where if you mis-spell 'master mind
    flayers' as 'master mindflayers', NH wipes out all masters instead.
    Master is a monk level title, so...

    You can do the same thing with any class, e.g. genociding
    'excursionists' will wipe out all tourists. Fun.

    -- A.

    --
    My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

    Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    pendell@hotmail.com writes:

    > Awhile ago, this is how I learned a valuable lesson ...
    >
    > Level 1, brand new gnome wizard...
    >
    > There is a chest here.
    > *THUD*
    > *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    > *THUD* Ouch! That hurts!
    > DYWYPI?
    >
    > Not even a hundred moves and I die from injuries sustained while
    > kicking open a locked chest ... I think that has to be the single most
    > embarrassing ending I have ever come up with.
    >
    > Is there a more stupid death possible?

    Pacifist healer, found a WoW at level three.
    [Note that a pacifist usually becomes second
    level at the oracle.] I blew up over 30
    pacifist trials before.

    Great, now this will rock. Let's see.. what do I
    need first, charging, now.. Of course, the PYEC.

    You are blasted by the PYECs power!
    You die..

    DYWYPI?

    I stopped trying pacifists.

    Best,
    Jakob
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    uli2003wien@lycos.at wrote:

    > 1) Knight in shiny armor, feasting on black dragon in the castle, gets
    > warning that he has a hard-time getting it all down, being happy that
    > he is disint-resistant, he goes into the food-storage, opens a tin, hey
    > it's spinach, eat it, insta-death!

    Ooh, and mine: one of the dragons in the castle is a blue one, my Wiz
    isn't shock resistant yet so she eats it, then goes into the food storage
    and has a fortune cookie for dessert.

    The most embarrassing thing about that: it happened *twice*, in different
    games.

    And the time I got a ring from a sink and thought "last time that happened
    it was levitation and I crashed on the sink and died", and I tried it on,
    and it was levitation and I crashed on the sink and died.

    Raisse, choked on a fortune cookie

  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Matt Frisch wrote:

    > That's only normal bags and boxes/chests, yes? Since BoHs are
    > extra-dimensional, their contents are protected from impacts.

    I fooled around with BoH and potions in explore mode a bit and it seems to
    be true. Strange, because I remember the same thing as Boudewijn. Perhaps
    he and I both had a sack or an oilskin sack.

    Raisse, killed by a carnivorous bag

  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
    > In article <1125900627.687016.207620@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,

    > > 3) Monk sits on throne, gets genocide wish, decides for "master mind
    > > flayers", Nethack eliminates all "Monks", instadeath

    > /me is confused
    > How did that happen?

    The monk was also confused.

    --
    Jukka Lahtinen
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:

    > I like your thinking, but no. It was a bag of holding that
    > was thrown.

    No, it wasn't.

    The function container_impact_dmg() specifically checks if the thrown
    container is a bag of holding and returns without destroying anything
    if this is the case.

    Throwing a bag of holding is 100% safe.
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 13:41:46 +0300, Tommi Syrjanen
    <tommi.syrjanen@enough.spam.hut.fi> wrote:

    >Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:
    >
    >> I like your thinking, but no. It was a bag of holding that
    >> was thrown.
    >
    >No, it wasn't.
    >
    >The function container_impact_dmg() specifically checks if the thrown
    >container is a bag of holding and returns without destroying anything
    >if this is the case.
    >
    >Throwing a bag of holding is 100% safe.

    Glad to learn I'm wrong. :-D I still remember it as a bag of
    holding. I just remember it wrong.

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    pendell@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Is there a more stupid death possible?

    44 Merlin2-Wiz-Hum-Mal-Neu died in The Dungeons of Doom
    on level 1. Killed by a boomerang. - [12]

    I found a boomerang in the first room and threw it around a few times.
    My wizard, being none too skilled in the art of boomerang-throwing, died
    from the resulting injuries.
  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
    > Matt Frisch wrote:

    >> That's only normal bags and boxes/chests, yes? Since BoHs are
    >> extra-dimensional, their contents are protected from impacts.

    > I fooled around with BoH and potions in explore mode a bit and it
    > seems to be true. Strange, because I remember the same thing as
    > Boudewijn. Perhaps he and I both had a sack or an oilskin sack.

    Note that I did *not*. I even asked why Jove didn't throw the bag.

    I distinctly remember sometimes having thrown a bag without things
    breaking, so it must have been a bag of holding.

    I do remember dropping a bag once while levitating and losing all
    potions and other breakables.

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
    Jove got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
    > On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 13:41:46 +0300, Tommi Syrjanen
    > <tommi.syrjanen@enough.spam.hut.fi> wrote:
    >
    > >Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:
    > >> I like your thinking, but no. It was a bag of holding that
    > >> was thrown.
    > >
    > >No, it wasn't.
    > >
    > >The function container_impact_dmg() specifically checks if the thrown
    > >container is a bag of holding and returns without destroying anything
    > >if this is the case.
    > >
    > >Throwing a bag of holding is 100% safe.
    >
    > Glad to learn I'm wrong. :-D I still remember it as a bag of
    > holding. I just remember it wrong.

    Likewise, I remember not wanting to throw the thing. I can't remember
    whether it was actually a BoH (if it had only been some kind of sack,
    that would have explained why the character was even more burdened than
    usual), but I wasn't aware of the BoH exemption, and wasn't taking
    chances - that character was (and still is) my most successful
    illiterate ever.

    --
    Glyn Kennington - remove caps from email address to reply
  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    BManx2000 wrote:
    > pendell@hotmail.com wrote:

    > 44 Merlin2-Wiz-Hum-Mal-Neu died in The Dungeons of Doom
    > on level 1. Killed by a boomerang. - [12]

    > I found a boomerang in the first room and threw it around a few times.
    > My wizard, being none too skilled in the art of boomerang-throwing,
    > died from the resulting injuries.

    I'd say he was very skilled in boomerang throwing: lethal skill I should
    say.

    His boomerang *catching* skills needed some improving, however.

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    pendell@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Is there a more stupid death possible?

    Kicking inanimate objects is one of the more embarrassing ways to go.
    Done so several times myself in the past. A change of the kickboxing
    game in the newer versions has cured me of that, though. However, in
    stupidity it doesn't even come close to this classic:

    Years ago I was playing a healer this 3.0 version of the game and things
    were going smoothly. Since you were able to get extra HP from spell of
    extra healing in that version I was soon above 1200 hp and had no worry
    in this world. Soon I had the amulet in my hand with Rodney on my trail.
    But I had ways of fixing _that_. Find the stairs up. Wait for Rodney.
    Hurl !oParalysis at Rodney. Leave. That actually took care of him for
    the rest of the game in version 3.0. Only problem: It made the endgame
    too easy. Well, I got there and went looking for the altar only bothered
    by minor meanies since L (the worst in 3.0) was genocided and Rodney
    frozen somewhere in Gehennom.

    At the point where i was only a few steps away from the altar I
    suddently felt an urge to sneeze and I did so without having the sense
    to remove _both_ my hands from the keyboard. When I looked at my screen
    again i was looking at the following text:

    You step into a moat. You sink like a rock. -more
    DYWYPI?

    Harcon-H Drowned in a moat on the endgame level (with the amulet)

    Bah!

    I think that's my record.

    Happy hacking
    Jens

    --
    Jens Oestergaard
    joester@jabberwock.pc.dk -- remove meanie

    Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:

    > Ooh, and mine: one of the dragons in the castle is a blue one, my Wiz
    > isn't shock resistant yet so she eats it, then goes into the food storage
    > and has a fortune cookie for dessert.

    Since I saw the Monty Python movie "The Meaning of Life" I haven't done
    that...

    > The most embarrassing thing about that: it happened *twice*, in different
    > games.

    ....well, at least I've done it _only once_ after I saw that movie. %-}

    Janis
  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jukka Lahtinen <jslnews@despammed.com> wrote in

    > Andrew Kerr <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
    >> In article <1125900627.687016.207620@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    >
    >> > 3) Monk sits on throne, gets genocide wish, decides for "master mind
    >> > flayers", Nethack eliminates all "Monks", instadeath
    >
    >> /me is confused
    >> How did that happen?
    >
    > The monk was also confused.

    I don't think that is what happened.
    I would guess that they didn't spell the "mind flayer" part correctly so
    the game decided to genocide "master" which is a level 30 monk.

Games Video Games