Best way to Image PC (snapshot)

Last response: in Computer Brands
September 6, 2004 7:48:08 PM

I just did a reinstall of my D505 laptop after I <um... stupidly lol>
ran a registry cleanup program that I later found out was meant for
Windows 95,98, MP (I run Windows XP). Oops.

I spent a whole weekend reinstalling everything and to Dell's credit
they make it a less painful process by providing the drivers online in
an easy to find, download, and install format.

Now, I'd like to save an image at this point in time to come back to
in case I should corrupt my laptop again. There are many programs out
there -- I want one that is easy to use and foolproof :-) (too much
to ask?).

If anyone has had any success I'd like to hear about it. The programs
I am considering are Symantec Ghost, Drive Image 7 (but is it
supported now that Symantec bought them out), and Retrospect (came
with my external hard drive).

Thanks for any info,
Kevin Fosler

More about : image snapshot

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 9:56:14 PM

I have had excellent results with Drive Image 7. It will image the c:
drive even while you continue to work within windows, and yes it
really does work great. I've restored at least 3x so far (from an
external USB drive) with no problems. And it can write/read to/from
an external USB or network drive.

Kevin Fosler wrote:
> I just did a reinstall of my D505 laptop after I <um... stupidly
> lol>
> ran a registry cleanup program that I later found out was meant for
> Windows 95,98, MP (I run Windows XP). Oops.
>
> I spent a whole weekend reinstalling everything and to Dell's credit
> they make it a less painful process by providing the drivers online
> in
> an easy to find, download, and install format.
>
> Now, I'd like to save an image at this point in time to come back to
> in case I should corrupt my laptop again. There are many programs
> out
> there -- I want one that is easy to use and foolproof :-) (too much
> to ask?).
>
> If anyone has had any success I'd like to hear about it. The
> programs
> I am considering are Symantec Ghost, Drive Image 7 (but is it
> supported now that Symantec bought them out), and Retrospect (came
> with my external hard drive).
>
> Thanks for any info,
> Kevin Fosler
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 10:22:30 PM

Give Acronis TrueImage (www.acronis.com) a try.

"Kevin Fosler" <KevinKFosler@aol.com> wrote in message
> I just did a reinstall of my D505 laptop after I <um... stupidly lol>
> ran a registry cleanup program that I later found out was meant for
> Windows 95,98, MP (I run Windows XP). Oops.
>
> I spent a whole weekend reinstalling everything and to Dell's credit
> they make it a less painful process by providing the drivers online in
> an easy to find, download, and install format.
>
> Now, I'd like to save an image at this point in time to come back to
> in case I should corrupt my laptop again. There are many programs out
> there -- I want one that is easy to use and foolproof :-) (too much
> to ask?).
>
> If anyone has had any success I'd like to hear about it. The programs
> I am considering are Symantec Ghost, Drive Image 7 (but is it
> supported now that Symantec bought them out), and Retrospect (came
> with my external hard drive).
>
> Thanks for any info,
> Kevin Fosler
September 7, 2004 10:39:12 AM

"Kevin Fosler" <KevinKFosler@aol.com> wrote in message
> If anyone has had any success I'd like to hear about it. The programs
> I am considering are Symantec Ghost, Drive Image 7 (but is it
> supported now that Symantec bought them out), and Retrospect (came
> with my external hard drive).
>
> Thanks for any info,
> Kevin Fosler

BootIt NG at

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

has never let me down although the interface isn't the most user-friendly.

I tend to set up any new machine exactly how I like it and then use BootIt
to image the system. I never need to reformat or use the OS CD again, any
time I feel like freshening up my pc I just restore the image.

Done it dozens of times.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 9:00:22 PM

Kevin Fosler wrote:

> If anyone has had any success I'd like to hear about it. The programs
> I am considering are Symantec Ghost, Drive Image 7 (but is it
> supported now that Symantec bought them out), and Retrospect (came
> with my external hard drive).

I own both Ghost and Drive Image 7.

Ghost requires a boot into DOS to work, and you need some quite in-depth
knowledge of DOS drivers to make any external drive visible to it. It's fine
if you are ghosting between two drives on the same machine (unlikely on a
D505), but useless across networks or to USB or Firewire drives.

I carefully placed my copy of Ghost in the circular filing cabinet, and
purchased Drive Image 7; perfect. It runs in Windows, and will ghost your
laptops hard disk to any other disk it can see in My Computer (e.g., USB,
Firewire, network). Give it plenty of time to do the job, however; I usually
set mine off overnight.

I haven't tried any others, just these two...but out of them, Drive Image is
the daddy :-)

Regards,

Pete.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 9:00:23 PM

No disrespect to Peter, but I'm a great fan of Norton Ghost 2003. Sure, it
takes more technical knowledge to use it correctly, but I'm OK with that.
And yes, it reboots your computer into DOS to do its work, but that way
there is no doubt that you're capturing everything on the disk.

The 2003 version of Ghost does indeed support operation across networks and
to USB and firewire drives.

I previously used Drive Image and did not like it. No amount of begging or
bribes could persuade DI to image directly to CDs, at least not for me.

Of course, this is all academic now that Symantec owns Drive Image. In fact,
the next version of Ghost incorporates some of the more user friendly
features of Drive Image.

I find Ghost 2003 to be quick: I can image my entire primary hard disk to my
second hard disk in just minutes. Imaging directly to DVD takes longer, of
course, but that's because writing to optical media takes longer than
writing to an internal hard disk. But overnight? Not with Ghost 2003. My
reasonably filled 120GB disk images to DVD in about 40 minutes. The
integrity check takes less time, 'though I can't remember off the top of my
head how long.

On those few occasions that I've needed to restore an image, Ghost worked
flawlessly every time.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Peter Connolly" <newsgroupsdemon@removethisbitacutecomputing.co.uk> wrote
in message news:chklun$5fp$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
> Kevin Fosler wrote:
>
> > If anyone has had any success I'd like to hear about it. The programs
> > I am considering are Symantec Ghost, Drive Image 7 (but is it
> > supported now that Symantec bought them out), and Retrospect (came
> > with my external hard drive).
>
> I own both Ghost and Drive Image 7.
>
> Ghost requires a boot into DOS to work, and you need some quite in-depth
> knowledge of DOS drivers to make any external drive visible to it. It's
fine
> if you are ghosting between two drives on the same machine (unlikely on a
> D505), but useless across networks or to USB or Firewire drives.
>
> I carefully placed my copy of Ghost in the circular filing cabinet, and
> purchased Drive Image 7; perfect. It runs in Windows, and will ghost your
> laptops hard disk to any other disk it can see in My Computer (e.g., USB,
> Firewire, network). Give it plenty of time to do the job, however; I
usually
> set mine off overnight.
>
> I haven't tried any others, just these two...but out of them, Drive Image
is
> the daddy :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete.

Anonymous
September 7, 2004 9:00:24 PM

Ted Zieglar wrote:

> No disrespect to Peter, but I'm a great fan of Norton Ghost 2003. Sure, it
> takes more technical knowledge to use it correctly, but I'm OK with that.
> And yes, it reboots your computer into DOS to do its work, but that way
> there is no doubt that you're capturing everything on the disk.
>
> The 2003 version of Ghost does indeed support operation across networks and
> to USB and firewire drives.
>
> I previously used Drive Image and did not like it. No amount of begging or
> bribes could persuade DI to image directly to CDs, at least not for me.
>
> Of course, this is all academic now that Symantec owns Drive Image. In fact,
> the next version of Ghost incorporates some of the more user friendly
> features of Drive Image.
>
> I find Ghost 2003 to be quick: I can image my entire primary hard disk to my
> second hard disk in just minutes. Imaging directly to DVD takes longer, of
> course, but that's because writing to optical media takes longer than
> writing to an internal hard disk. But overnight? Not with Ghost 2003. My
> reasonably filled 120GB disk images to DVD in about 40 minutes. The
> integrity check takes less time, 'though I can't remember off the top of my
> head how long.

For whatever it's worth, using Drive Image 7, it takes (me) approximately
35 to 40 minutes to image a 120 GB drive, including "verification."

Notan
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 9:00:25 PM

Thank you all very much for your input. I have decided to do two
images, one using Drive Image 7, and the other using Ghost 2003. One
of my drives came with Ghost 2003, so I have that, and will purchase
Drive Image 7. By doing two images, I should be covered (have a
backup of a backup, using different software).

Thanks again,
Kevin Fosler

P.S. -- I never want to do a complete reinstall of an existing PC
again -- took me all weekend!!! Not fun.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 9:00:26 PM

Drive Image 7 is old software - are you aware of that? Symantec bought the
company that wrote Drive Image 7 (Powerquest) and is about to release a
product that combines Ghost and Drive Image. Considering that Symantec did
not write the code for Drive Image, their support for the product will be
limited. On the other hand, Ghost 2003 is Symantec's product and it's a
current version (there never was a Ghost 2004).

Whichever product you purchase, don't pay full price for Symantec software.
Their products are heavily discounted and rebated, so the full retail price
is meaningless.
--
Ted Zieglar

> Thank you all very much for your input. I have decided to do two
> images, one using Drive Image 7, and the other using Ghost 2003. One
> of my drives came with Ghost 2003, so I have that, and will purchase
> Drive Image 7. By doing two images, I should be covered (have a
> backup of a backup, using different software).
>
> Thanks again,
> Kevin Fosler
>
> P.S. -- I never want to do a complete reinstall of an existing PC
> again -- took me all weekend!!! Not fun.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 9:37:32 PM

Kevin Fosler wrote:

> Thank you all very much for your input. I have decided to do two
> images, one using Drive Image 7, and the other using Ghost 2003. One
> of my drives came with Ghost 2003, so I have that, and will purchase
> Drive Image 7. By doing two images, I should be covered (have a
> backup of a backup, using different software).

Check with some of your local, or online, stores (CompUSA, Best Buy,
Fry's, etc.)...

Lately, with rebates, I've seen Drive Image for as low as $9.95!

Notan
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 2:03:38 AM

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> No disrespect to Peter, but I'm a great fan of Norton Ghost 2003.
> Sure, it takes more technical knowledge to use it correctly, but I'm
> OK with that. And yes, it reboots your computer into DOS to do its
> work, but that way there is no doubt that you're capturing everything
> on the disk.

Ted,

No problem with an opposite view - there's room for us all!

Just a note on the overnight thing; I was imaging across a wireless network!
I could take the hard disk out and put it in my server, but I don't use the
machine overnight anyway, so I just let it get on with it.

It's really a case of try a few, and choose what works for yourself.

Regards,

Pete.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 3:16:26 PM

In article <ukl%c.789$8H6.285@roc.nntpserver.com>, teddyz@notmail.com
says...
> No disrespect to Peter, but I'm a great fan of Norton Ghost 2003. Sure, it
> takes more technical knowledge to use it correctly, but I'm OK with that.
> And yes, it reboots your computer into DOS to do its work, but that way
> there is no doubt that you're capturing everything on the disk.
>
> The 2003 version of Ghost does indeed support operation across networks and
> to USB and firewire drives.
>
> I previously used Drive Image and did not like it. No amount of begging or
> bribes could persuade DI to image directly to CDs, at least not for me.
>
> Of course, this is all academic now that Symantec owns Drive Image. In fact,
> the next version of Ghost incorporates some of the more user friendly
> features of Drive Image.
>
> I find Ghost 2003 to be quick: I can image my entire primary hard disk to my
> second hard disk in just minutes. Imaging directly to DVD takes longer, of
> course, but that's because writing to optical media takes longer than
> writing to an internal hard disk. But overnight? Not with Ghost 2003. My
> reasonably filled 120GB disk images to DVD in about 40 minutes. The
> integrity check takes less time, 'though I can't remember off the top of my
> head how long.
>
> On those few occasions that I've needed to restore an image, Ghost worked
> flawlessly every time.

I use Ghost 2003 as well and my experience pretty well mirrors your
comments. However, I have never been able to make a bootable DVD so as
not to have to carry the floppy drive on the road in case disaster
strikes and I need to replace my image while in the hinterlands. Have
you or anyone else had any success doing this? Ghost sees my USB Sony
DVD drive as well as my USB/Firewire external hard drives. I have a
Dell 300m that I have imaged to the Sony drive and did a restore from
the Dell USB DVD drive but I get error messages if I try to make
bootable DVD disks. All operations work fine using the USB floppy drive
with the Ghost bootable floppy.

Robin
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 4:06:49 PM

I routinely make bootable DVDs with Ghost 2003. Try looking for your error
messages in Ghost's knowledge base, or ask their tech support what they
mean. Ghost works with plenty of DVD drives that aren't on their official
list of supported drives (like mine, for example.)
--
Ted Zieglar

"Robin Brumfield" <rbrumfield@charter.net> wrote in message
> In article <ukl%c.789$8H6.285@roc.nntpserver.com>, teddyz@notmail.com
> says...
> > No disrespect to Peter, but I'm a great fan of Norton Ghost 2003. Sure,
it
> > takes more technical knowledge to use it correctly, but I'm OK with
that.
> > And yes, it reboots your computer into DOS to do its work, but that way
> > there is no doubt that you're capturing everything on the disk.
> >
> > The 2003 version of Ghost does indeed support operation across networks
and
> > to USB and firewire drives.
> >
> > I previously used Drive Image and did not like it. No amount of begging
or
> > bribes could persuade DI to image directly to CDs, at least not for me.
> >
> > Of course, this is all academic now that Symantec owns Drive Image. In
fact,
> > the next version of Ghost incorporates some of the more user friendly
> > features of Drive Image.
> >
> > I find Ghost 2003 to be quick: I can image my entire primary hard disk
to my
> > second hard disk in just minutes. Imaging directly to DVD takes longer,
of
> > course, but that's because writing to optical media takes longer than
> > writing to an internal hard disk. But overnight? Not with Ghost 2003. My
> > reasonably filled 120GB disk images to DVD in about 40 minutes. The
> > integrity check takes less time, 'though I can't remember off the top of
my
> > head how long.
> >
> > On those few occasions that I've needed to restore an image, Ghost
worked
> > flawlessly every time.
> >

> I use Ghost 2003 as well and my experience pretty well mirrors your
> comments. However, I have never been able to make a bootable DVD so as
> not to have to carry the floppy drive on the road in case disaster
> strikes and I need to replace my image while in the hinterlands. Have
> you or anyone else had any success doing this? Ghost sees my USB Sony
> DVD drive as well as my USB/Firewire external hard drives. I have a
> Dell 300m that I have imaged to the Sony drive and did a restore from
> the Dell USB DVD drive but I get error messages if I try to make
> bootable DVD disks. All operations work fine using the USB floppy drive
> with the Ghost bootable floppy.
>
> Robin
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 4:56:48 PM

In article <T4G%c.418$DF3.329@roc.nntpserver.com>, teddyz@notmail.com
says...
> I routinely make bootable DVDs with Ghost 2003. Try looking for your error
> messages in Ghost's knowledge base, or ask their tech support what they
> mean. Ghost works with plenty of DVD drives that aren't on their official
> list of supported drives (like mine, for example.)

Do you do this with Ghost 2003 installed on the source machine? I did
not install Ghost on the source machine but made the image using the
standard boot floppy and then writing directly to the DVD drive. The
option in the DOS mode to create the bootable DVD was presented prior to
the image question and I chose it to make the DVD bootable, extracting
the necessary files from the floppy. The knowledgebase is silent on
this method. It only addresses making the DVD bootable by checking an
option in Ghost since 2003 is supposed to have all of the necessary
drivers contained therein. All of the documentation appears to declare
that it works but it must be installed on the source machine. I will
try and install Ghost on the source machine and see if it will create a
bootable DVD from there.

Thanks.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 5:32:31 PM

Hmmm...never tried it that way. I do have Ghost installed on the source
computer, but the diskette does all its work from DOS.

Perhaps it has to do with the identification number that Ghost creates the
first time you use it on the hard disk. Otherwise I could sell you my
diskette - for a very reasonable price - and you wouldn't need to buy the
program.

From the GUI you can create a boot disk that includes a driver for a DVD
player. Otherwise, you have to add the driver yourself (and modify
autoexec.bat and config.sys accordingly.)
--

> In article <T4G%c.418$DF3.329@roc.nntpserver.com>, teddyz@notmail.com
> says...
> > I routinely make bootable DVDs with Ghost 2003. Try looking for your
error
> > messages in Ghost's knowledge base, or ask their tech support what they
> > mean. Ghost works with plenty of DVD drives that aren't on their
official
> > list of supported drives (like mine, for example.)
> >
> Do you do this with Ghost 2003 installed on the source machine? I did
> not install Ghost on the source machine but made the image using the
> standard boot floppy and then writing directly to the DVD drive. The
> option in the DOS mode to create the bootable DVD was presented prior to
> the image question and I chose it to make the DVD bootable, extracting
> the necessary files from the floppy. The knowledgebase is silent on
> this method. It only addresses making the DVD bootable by checking an
> option in Ghost since 2003 is supposed to have all of the necessary
> drivers contained therein. All of the documentation appears to declare
> that it works but it must be installed on the source machine. I will
> try and install Ghost on the source machine and see if it will create a
> bootable DVD from there.
>
> Thanks.
September 9, 2004 4:15:29 AM

Peter Connolly wrote:

> Kevin Fosler wrote:
>
>>If anyone has had any success I'd like to hear about it. The programs
>>I am considering are Symantec Ghost, Drive Image 7 (but is it
>>supported now that Symantec bought them out), and Retrospect (came
>>with my external hard drive).
>
> I own both Ghost and Drive Image 7.
>
> Ghost requires a boot into DOS to work, and you need some quite in-depth
> knowledge of DOS drivers to make any external drive visible to it.

Huh? I don't think someone has to be a gearhead to check off USB2
drivers to run Ghost 2003.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 10:14:29 PM

Has anyone heard of or tried "Universal Imaging Utility"? I haven't
tried it but I think it is supposed to eliminate the need to manually
add drivers once the slave machine has been ghosted. Does anyone know
if this work or how it works?

> Hmmm...never tried it that way. I do have Ghost installed on the source
> computer, but the diskette does all its work from DOS.
>
> Perhaps it has to do with the identification number that Ghost creates the
> first time you use it on the hard disk. Otherwise I could sell you my
> diskette - for a very reasonable price - and you wouldn't need to buy the
> program.
>
> From the GUI you can create a boot disk that includes a driver for a DVD
> player. Otherwise, you have to add the driver yourself (and modify
> autoexec.bat and config.sys accordingly.)
> --
> Ted Zieglar
September 10, 2004 6:33:16 AM

In article <MPG.1ba8ec41744fde5998969b@News.individual.net>,
rbrumfield@charter.net says...
> In article <ukl%c.789$8H6.285@roc.nntpserver.com>, teddyz@notmail.com
> says...
> > No disrespect to Peter, but I'm a great fan of Norton Ghost 2003. Sure, it
> > takes more technical knowledge to use it correctly, but I'm OK with that.
> > And yes, it reboots your computer into DOS to do its work, but that way
> > there is no doubt that you're capturing everything on the disk.
> >
> > The 2003 version of Ghost does indeed support operation across networks and
> > to USB and firewire drives.
> >
> > I previously used Drive Image and did not like it. No amount of begging or
> > bribes could persuade DI to image directly to CDs, at least not for me.
> >
> > Of course, this is all academic now that Symantec owns Drive Image. In fact,
> > the next version of Ghost incorporates some of the more user friendly
> > features of Drive Image.
> >
> > I find Ghost 2003 to be quick: I can image my entire primary hard disk to my
> > second hard disk in just minutes. Imaging directly to DVD takes longer, of
> > course, but that's because writing to optical media takes longer than
> > writing to an internal hard disk. But overnight? Not with Ghost 2003. My
> > reasonably filled 120GB disk images to DVD in about 40 minutes. The
> > integrity check takes less time, 'though I can't remember off the top of my
> > head how long.
> >
> > On those few occasions that I've needed to restore an image, Ghost worked
> > flawlessly every time.
> >

> I use Ghost 2003 as well and my experience pretty well mirrors your
> comments. However, I have never been able to make a bootable DVD so as
> not to have to carry the floppy drive on the road in case disaster
> strikes and I need to replace my image while in the hinterlands. Have
> you or anyone else had any success doing this? Ghost sees my USB Sony
> DVD drive as well as my USB/Firewire external hard drives. I have a
> Dell 300m that I have imaged to the Sony drive and did a restore from
> the Dell USB DVD drive but I get error messages if I try to make
> bootable DVD disks. All operations work fine using the USB floppy drive
> with the Ghost bootable floppy.
>
> Robin

If I understand these posts correctly, I can image my drive to DVDRs on
an external Firewire DVD Burner (Plextor) using Ghost 2003? In other
words, Ghost will both recognize the external firewire burner and it
will span DVDs to create a full image?

TIA

Louise
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 6:36:57 AM

The best one is TrueImage from www.acronis.com

"Kevin Fosler" <KevinKFosler@aol.com> wrote in message
> I just did a reinstall of my D505 laptop after I <um... stupidly lol>
> ran a registry cleanup program that I later found out was meant for
> Windows 95,98, MP (I run Windows XP). Oops.
>
> I spent a whole weekend reinstalling everything and to Dell's credit
> they make it a less painful process by providing the drivers online in
> an easy to find, download, and install format.
>
> Now, I'd like to save an image at this point in time to come back to
> in case I should corrupt my laptop again. There are many programs out
> there -- I want one that is easy to use and foolproof :-) (too much
> to ask?).
>
> If anyone has had any success I'd like to hear about it. The programs
> I am considering are Symantec Ghost, Drive Image 7 (but is it
> supported now that Symantec bought them out), and Retrospect (came
> with my external hard drive).
>
> Thanks for any info,
> Kevin Fosler
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 7:54:51 AM

Ron Reaugh wrote:

> The best one is TrueImage from www.acronis.com

And the worst support is from Acronis.

Notan
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 8:50:52 AM

> Ron Reaugh wrote:
> >
> > The best one is TrueImage from www.acronis.com
>
> And the worst support is from Acronis.

Many do NOT confirm that.
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 9:08:41 AM

Ron Reaugh wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Ron Reaugh wrote:
> > >
> > > The best one is TrueImage from www.acronis.com
> >
> > And the worst support is from Acronis.
>
> Many do NOT confirm that.

How 'bout you?

Your statement says their product is "the best."

Have you ever tried to contact Customer/Tech Support?

I have, numerous times, and have *never* gotten a response.

Notan
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 10:36:14 AM

> Ron Reaugh wrote:
> >
> > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

> > > And the worst support is from Acronis.
> >
> > Many do NOT confirm that.
>
> How 'bout you?
>
> Your statement says their product is "the best."
>
> Have you ever tried to contact Customer/Tech Support?

Yep.

> I have, numerous times, and have *never* gotten a response.

I have.
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 11:12:44 AM

Ron Reaugh wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > Ron Reaugh wrote:
> > >
> > > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

> > > Many do NOT confirm that.
> >
> > How 'bout you?
> >
> > Your statement says their product is "the best."
> >
> > Have you ever tried to contact Customer/Tech Support?
>
> Yep.
>
> > I have, numerous times, and have *never* gotten a response.
>
> I have.

Glad your experience was a good one.

But, from my experience, and from what I've heard from others,
I'll never purchase, or suggest, another Acronis product.

Notan

By the way, your post would have alot more credibility if
you prefaced your statement with "In my opinion,".
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 1:22:31 AM

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:48:08 -0500, Kevin Fosler
<KevinKFosler@aol.com> wrote:

>Now, I'd like to save an image at this point in time to come back to
>in case I should corrupt my laptop again. There are many programs out
>there -- I want one that is easy to use and foolproof :-) (too much
>to ask?).

I like and use Acronis Trueimage. Probably any of the popular apps
would work for you.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
September 16, 2004 5:27:21 AM

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:34:46 GMT, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>I purchased the previous version, 30 or 40 days before the latest
>version was released. My inquiry was to find out if I was eligible
>for a free upgrade.

I ask again: Did you look at their web site? Why wait for email if
you can simply download the upgrade?

>As far as the language barrier goes, if you're going to sell a
>program in a non-native language, you're obligated to provide
>support in that same non-native language.

I don't disagree with you, and have in fact corresponded with Acronis
without problems.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:
September 16, 2004 5:35:38 AM

Paul Knudsen wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:34:46 GMT, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
> >I purchased the previous version, 30 or 40 days before the latest
> >version was released. My inquiry was to find out if I was eligible
> >for a free upgrade.
>
> I ask again: Did you look at their web site? Why wait for email if
> you can simply download the upgrade?
>
> >As far as the language barrier goes, if you're going to sell a
> >program in a non-native language, you're obligated to provide
> >support in that same non-native language.
>
> I don't disagree with you, and have in fact corresponded with Acronis
> without problems.

I was looking to upgrade to v8.0, from v7.0.

A few days ago, I finally got an answer from them:

"With regards to your question, our upgrade policy is to provide free
upgrades to (a) customers who purchased the software 30 days prior to the
release of a new version, and/or (b) customers who have purchased software
maintenance or a site license that includes software maintenance. We realize
that the 30 day cut-off appears to be arbitrary, but it is keeping with the
procedures of other established software companies. If we had a 90 day
cut-off, somebody who purchased the product 91 days before hand who would
ask us to upgrade or that s/he would not have bought the product had they
known to wait just one more day. At some point we have to draw a line and
move on to working on the next version."

Notan
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 8:39:35 PM

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:48:08 -0500, Kevin Fosler
<KevinKFosler@aol.com> wrote:

I've never done an image but this thread is making me think I should.

I have a 120GB drive.

Can the image be backed up to cd-r's? How many would it usually take.

Also when making an image can certain data folders (taking up much
space) be eliminated from the image?

TIA
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 1:19:17 AM

120GB would require about 180 CDs if the drive is full.

Usually an image is done as soon as the machine is built, prior to adding
any data.

Tom
"OP66" <nospam@fake.yes> wrote in message
> On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:48:08 -0500, Kevin Fosler
> <KevinKFosler@aol.com> wrote:
>
> I've never done an image but this thread is making me think I should.
>
> I have a 120GB drive.
>
> Can the image be backed up to cd-r's? How many would it usually take.
>
> Also when making an image can certain data folders (taking up much
> space) be eliminated from the image?
>
> TIA

Anonymous
September 19, 2004 1:19:18 AM

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:19:17 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>120GB would require about 180 CDs if the drive is full.
>
>Usually an image is done as soon as the machine is built, prior to adding
>any data.

Like OP66 I, too, got to thinking I should image my system, but I
don't think I'll be wanting to burn 90 CDs (my 120GB c: drive is only
about half full).

My machine is an XPS gen2. The mobo is set up for 2 SATA drives and 4
IDE devices. It came with a 120gb SATA c: drive, and I have added a
120gb ATA-133 and an old 60gb ATA-? from my previous system.

If I were to make an image of my SATA c: drive, would I need to
purchase a second SATA drive for this? I assume I could create the
image on my 120gb ATA drive, but I don't think I can make that be the
c: drive--or can I?

If I remove my current SATA (c:)  drive, can I adjust the BIOS to
recognize an ATA drive as c: ?

--John "more confused than usual" Wells
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 5:26:30 AM

> 120GB would require about 180 CDs if the drive is full.
>
> Usually an image is done as soon as the machine is built, prior to adding
> any data.

Or done as a regular backup like Acronis TrueImage to a compressed image
file on the same sized or larger removable HD.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 7:30:06 AM

"John W. Wells" <djinn@7Tsimmery.axe> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 21:19:17 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>
> >120GB would require about 180 CDs if the drive is full.
> >
> >Usually an image is done as soon as the machine is built, prior to adding
> >any data.
>
> Like OP66 I, too, got to thinking I should image my system, but I
> don't think I'll be wanting to burn 90 CDs (my 120GB c: drive is only
> about half full).
>
> My machine is an XPS gen2. The mobo is set up for 2 SATA drives and 4
> IDE devices. It came with a 120gb SATA c: drive, and I have added a
> 120gb ATA-133 and an old 60gb ATA-? from my previous system.
>
> If I were to make an image of my SATA c: drive, would I need to
> purchase a second SATA drive for this?

It wouldn't have to be SATA unless that's the only mobo slot unused.
External USB2 or Firewire is an alternative. I like big SATA drives in
shock mounted removable trays like the KingWin KF-83 (~$30) for image
backup.

> I assume I could create the
> image on my 120gb ATA drive, but I don't think I can make that be the
> c: drive--or can I?

Rephrase?

> If I remove my current SATA (c:)  drive, can I adjust the BIOS to
> recognize an ATA drive as c: ?

Usually yes.

The backup HD would be setup such that it would get a higher drive letter
and you boot from the regular HD or a floppy/CD and do the image. I like
Acronis TrueImage as it can make the image running from XP or W2K3 or W2K.
Just run it anytime you want.
Anonymous
September 19, 2004 9:57:27 PM

OP66 <nospam@fake.yes> wrote:
>I have a 120GB drive.
>
>Can the image be backed up to cd-r's? How many would it usually take.

Ghost will get you about 2:1 compression, so if the drive is full
you'd need something on the order of 86 disks. Not really practical.

>Also when making an image can certain data folders (taking up much
>space) be eliminated from the image?

Yes, but then it wouldn't be an image.

I tend to back up drives to either another equivalent drive (mirror,
for immediate replacement on failure), or to a large network volume
(image file, for rebuilding at need).

Note that a drive and it's mirror image should not be online at the
same time, or Windows will get all confused. Reboot, make the image,
power off, and remove the image drive. hard drive racks
areinexpensive, and this also gives you the ability to have offsite
backups.
!