t-bird and system cooling (please help)

tibou

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am really confused. I am about to buy a new system in a week. I have picked out everything except for the case and cooling. The main reason is I dont know what to get. I was looking at the following case: http://www.ncix.com/Canada/productdetail.cfm?sku=6052

I don't know if its any good or not. Will I need to buy additional fans for the case, besides the processor heatsink? I have the global win fop-32 picked out.

One more question, do I need a 300w or 350w p/s for a computer with a 1.4 Ghz AMD t-bird, 512mb ram, dvd, lan, geforce 2 gts, asus a7m, ect... I have been getting mixed responses about this. Is 350w really nessesary? ENERMAX EG365P-VE 350W W/2 FAN is what I'll get if nessary. Thanks for your help.

Should I pair the case and power supply together? Will this give we adequate cooling and power?

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
300W is enough but if you want you can buy more powerful one separately
or with the case that fits both AMD and P4.
ENERMAX is the right choice. Aux coolers, the rest are up to you,
check cooling section and other solutions on AMD site,
and you’ll get all the answers.

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
get a good power supply like a enermax 450w its all the power your ever likly to need & its twin faned to aid system cooling
but you'll still need some extra case fans
im running a 120mm inlet (lower front)
80mm exhaust (upper rear)
pci cooler (helps cool graphics card)
plus the enermax
as for the case i use a midi tower (cheap one) lots of room for expantion

G

spend the extra money on a good case, it's something that you can continue to reuse for future upgrades, I shelled out 100+ for my black antec soho full tower case and I'm very happy with it(with antec smart power 300 watt psu included), there are certainly more expensive cases out there and some are well worth it, for instance some of the aluminum cases, which do in fact help keep system temp a wee bit cooler. I would suggest a full tower case, it gives you more room to work in, helps keep things a little cooler because components aren't cramped together, etc. and it has all sorts of room for expansion, I'd go ahead and get some extra system cooling fans as well, other than the psu fan and cpu hs/fan, I currently (maybe a little overkill ;) am running four 80mm fans, 2 exhaust, 2 intake, and an antec cyclone pci slot cooler. Good luck

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Again.
Yes, tibou, ‘… To ensure reliable operation of dual AMD Athlon systems… you need 460 Watt power supply ...”:
<A HREF="http://=www.amd.com/products/cpg/server/athlon/config/desktop.html" target="_new">http://=www.amd.com/products/cpg/server/athlon/config/desktop.html</A>

But the question is, are you going to have dual processor Athlon system?
I still think that the AMD site is the best source of info on all your questions.

(One more thing: As for me, I'm trying to think from cost efficiecy point of view. What I see from my previous experience: my new system will be possibly obsolete in couple years and I'll ditch it along with the case and power supply.)

Everybody is free on how to design own system.
I can provide you with the links on systems with 120, 240, 500 mm diameter fans/blowers installed, propellers taken from airplanes, water cooling systems attached, computers in basins with ice...if you want, if you need to spend money and time on that.
But what I learned, these tricks do not work when poorly designed in general.

I hope you are able to calculate the power consuption on your system, but you don't have to.
I think you have to trust the guys from AMD and rely on their engineering and scientific approach.

What I would recommend, (actually Dr. Tom Pabst's team),
is to provide an aux. cooling for a new harddrive.
An ENR-001 Multy-Function Driver Rack for 1 HDD and 1-2 80 mm fan(s) would be good.