Sign in with
Your question

P4 - User's Opinion

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 21, 2001 3:18:14 AM

I recently put a P4 1.4 Ghz together (Under $500 I might add.. I got a deal on the abit mobo/cpu too as well as buy 1 get 1 free rdram, they are desperate to sell it around here I guess lol) and besides the fact that my old ATI All-in-Wonder 128 would not go into the mobo due to being an old 1x 2x only compatible piece of garbage plus the extravagant case cost I have no complaints whatsoever. I can play UT completely smooth at 800x600 and I don't even freeze up in D2 when Baal summons his minions like everyone else complains. I can also record 30 fps in MPEG-2 off my new ATI usb TV wonder and generally even my PSX emulator is totally smooth looking even better than it does when I play on a playstation! I have fairly high demands for it and it meets them all.. I don't really care if benchmarks say it is a slow piece of crap. I probably would have gone tbird but I had major VIA problems on my last box which was AMD (could not use AGP slot until updating with 4-in-1 driver.. what kind of bs is that?) so I am never buying them again.
This Intel chip may not use its full capabilities at this stage but it still has enough power to last me another couple years as my K6-2 400 did before (although it will never have an AGP card since it is going to my mom and you cannot start it with an AGP without installing windows and that driver.. damn via)

More about : user opinion

July 21, 2001 3:39:52 AM

Its alright. Just a high price.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
July 21, 2001 6:30:02 AM

>Its alright. Just a high price.

hey dopey, what part of "under $500" did you not get?

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2001 8:54:13 AM

what part of 'AMD is a better solution' dont YOU understand

however, we all finish at the begining and start at the end
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2001 10:33:43 AM

"I can play UT completely smooth at 800x600"

I play UT smooth in 1024*768 and I have a duron 800.
July 21, 2001 10:42:26 AM

"could not use AGP slot until updating with 4-in-1 driver.. what kind of bs is that?"

lol, you cant use your modem without drivers either, does that make the motherboard bad?
He wasted his money, for 500 bucks he could have got a tbied 1.4ghz 512 megs of pc133 and a mobo, and a new videocard.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~
July 21, 2001 6:46:53 PM

Um, my P2-400 does all of that. I play UT at 1024x768 on a Voodoo3 3000 and get in the 40's and 50's. D2 runs perfect even with the expansion.

ROFL...

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2001 7:45:52 PM

"could not use AGP slot until updating with 4-in-1 driver.. what kind of bs is that?"

If you dont have the time to keep up with the latest drivers, or to lazy to download the 4-in-1 driver you deserve the p4.

"(Under $500 I might add.. I got a deal on the abit mobo/cpu too as well as buy 1 get 1 free rdram, they are desperate to sell it around here I guess lol)"

haha I wonder why <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Jomibar on 07/21/01 03:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 21, 2001 9:01:42 PM

Quote:
[you cannot start it with an AGP without installing windows and that driver.. damn via]

Probably we don't understand or don't know something.
May be the driver isn't avalable?
There's something strange here with the driver.

<b>DarrenFrost, please, what's your point?</b>
July 21, 2001 10:25:43 PM

I have an AMD Athlon 1.5GHz and I can play UT smooth at 1280x1024. Quality of picture has nothing to do with processor, either, so don't credit the P4 with your playstation emulator looking better (anything on a computer screen looks better then on TV). I wouldn't say those are high demands (it is a slow piece of crap, as you would say, so your demands must be low). And if you won't buy a product because you have to load a driver then you shouldn't be allowed near computers.

---------
Grass is a beautiful weed.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2001 10:38:29 PM

"I wouldn't say those are high demands (it is a slow piece of crap, as you would say, so your demands must be low). And if you won't buy a product because you have to load a driver then you shouldn't be allowed near computers..."

Dude, why do you have to be such a biatch? If no one bought Intel chips AMD chips wouldn't be so cheap.

I like to slide down snowy mountains
July 22, 2001 2:04:43 AM

What is your problem?

Jeez, someone tries to carry out a civilized debate or makes a remark someone doesn't like and gets flamed.

---------
July 22, 2001 2:37:24 AM

AMD (could not use AGP slot until updating with 4-in-1 driver.. what kind of bs is that?)LOL

Fact I redid my computer with out the 4 into 1. Max out on video (agp slot) and my sound blaster card and My cable modem/56kmodem. Down loaded the drivers installed them. And added my other hardware drivers Took me 2 hours to install windows and all the drivers.

Mybe you dont know how to run computers very good? You know where the on and off switch is?

Dude Next time read the booklet you get from your mother board and your video card. And another idea is befor you get a new system read up on them. Find what drivers you need and such. Put them on CDRW or disks. Make things easy.

It looks like the Smart people run Amd. Dumb people have to go for intel or Mac
July 22, 2001 4:10:40 AM

Hey, its not fair to compare Mac's (PoerPC) to PC's (x86) as the architectures are totaly different....Even thoguh I'll definentyl agree you have to be dumb to say its easier to use Mac OS Vs. Windows.....
As much as peopel would love to say MS Windows is crap and everything and full of Bugs...it hink your not payign attention to your own OS Versions.....what are they up to now?? Mac OS 10, 11 ?? Hmm.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!
July 22, 2001 5:40:00 AM

I read up on all computers. Right now mac os x Making windows look very good. But I can say this Macs seem to boaring
July 22, 2001 5:51:39 AM

I read up on all computers. Right now mac os x Making windows look very good. haveing a mac Nope. If I need to run some thing that for mac I can get a emulator to run it and it would be a hell alot cheaper then $5000 for a Mac.
July 22, 2001 10:23:36 AM

i play UT smooth at 1600x1200 with a p3 550... then again i do have a geforce 2 ;) 

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
July 22, 2001 2:09:16 PM

What do want mac sucks in general.

G4 is 128bit give it 64bit memory

Good job crippling it steve jobs.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:
July 22, 2001 6:05:34 PM

Its SOO true....LoL

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!
July 22, 2001 7:59:09 PM

my old mobo used VIA MVP3 chipset back when VIA was new and it WOULD NOT START if you didn't load the 4 in 1 beforehand with an AGP.. You have to be in windows (past the bios loadup) and it would not even start up with AGP in safe mode.. so blow me. I had no problem installing the drivers it was just a pain in the ass to plug a PCI, unplug and plug AGP just so my damn AGP slot would work every time I did a fresh boot. Note: I could not even get the video to INSTALL windows with the AGP card in, that is how crappy that chipset was. That is poor construction to have a hardware slot you can't use without a driver update. I had to wait for a driver update to use my AGP card.. I have no problem with AMD that k6-2 400 was awesome for what I needed it for and lasted me over 2 years.. VIA's chipset was garbage tho and every problem I had was related to it.. so I just went Intel to avoid having a mobo that sucked so much. I chose intel for 3 reasons: 1. Runs much more steady and cool than AMD since it is bottlenecked too much to use full power 2. no crapass VIA and 3. better for video encoding. As far as UT goes, I used to be choppy running in 640x480 with low settings on graphics and i need a new monitor my current will kill your eyes above 800x600 so running completely smooth there is a mass improvement for me. in fact I had a MP3 going in the background and kept alt-tabbing to ICQ people when I died (often unfortunately, going from choppy to smooth turns aim to [-peep-] for a bit) i come on this forum and all these people diss intel because of benchmarks some guy posts.. who cares?! you can't diss it until you used it and it sucked. I use one and it far from sucks.
July 22, 2001 8:14:18 PM

For the sake of argument, I bought a Celeron 333 (the ones that are cashless) and it sucked ass.

---------
July 22, 2001 8:41:23 PM

Hmm, since we are bashing Macs, I have a few things to say. First is that although teh processor may be 128 bit, much of teh softare on runs especially when emulating Windows won't be so, so 128 bit is useless. I have seen benchmarks in which a 1.0 Ghz T-Bird and a G4 733 Mhz were compared - guess what- the T-Bird kicked its ass. The same also happened w/ a dual processor Mac system (Dual G4 533MHz if I'm not mistaken). Finally, look at the prices!

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.
July 22, 2001 9:58:30 PM

Quote:
my old mobo used VIA MVP3 chipset back when VIA was new and it WOULD NOT START if you didn't load the 4 in 1 beforehand with an AGP.. You have to be in windows (past the bios loadup) and it would not even start up with AGP in safe mode.. so blow me. I had no problem installing the drivers it was just a pain in the ass to plug a PCI, unplug and plug AGP just so my damn AGP slot would work every time I did a fresh boot. Note: I could not even get the video to INSTALL windows with the AGP card in, that is how crappy that chipset was.

Your problem was weird. I used to have MVP3 chipset mobo (<b>FIC</b> w/ K6-2 and K6-III later), and I had no problem booting my comp that had AGP card (ATI Rage Xpert98@Play) without loading VIa's drivers first. Windows automatically regconized it correctly as Xpert 98 and I didn't even have to install ATI's driver. VIA's driver, I think, is used so your Vid card can take full advantages of its features such as 2X, 4X AGP, 3D,...
BTW, I don't think P4 is suck either.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
July 23, 2001 6:04:59 AM

Actually that whole box was kinda fried from the beginning.. the ISA slots never worked and I burned out 2 RAM chips on it.. so its more than likely the mobo was just screwed since I got it but after mounting in my $20 case I didn't want to go through the trouble of unmounting and taking it back -_- Doesn't help it used those plastic snaps to mount either.. I was using ATI All-in-Wonder 128 AGP.

I will probably stay with intel in my next box depending on the situation.. as far as mobo and cpu goes I haven't had much satisfaction with my results until this box. Granted my first built comp was a 486 SX-33, then OD dx4-100 on that same mobo.. then a Cyrix 200MX because I was in high school and had no money heh then my k6-2 400 with the horrible mobo. Only ensnare (in starcraft terms) in puttin this box together was getting the dam mobo mounted because the mounting plate was welded inside of the case and they had screwed in the heatsink mount with washers on the other end when there were screws in the board for the mount.. I felt like an idiot after that one hehe. First time I built a comp that I didn't need to tinker with to get to work right.. first time I hit power it was *on* :)  of course living where i do i will probably get a black out that fries everything sigh..
July 23, 2001 3:31:11 PM

I hate it when everyone edits their posts and it's impossible to follow the conversation later on :) 

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:
!