Wireless Keyboard with Trackpad?

tigerfries

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Hey all,

So I am looking to build a gaming/media computer. I am looking at wireless keyboards with a trackpad because the goal is to have my computer attached to my normal 24in widescreen monitor and a 42in plasma screen tv for movies and the such. I want to be able to operate my computer (on the tv) from my couch with out needing a mouse.

Though this is fun and all, I still need a keyboard that will be good for gaming (Starcraft/Just Cause2). All the keyboards that have trackpads and the such either look like a crap keyboard or the trackpad is so useless that I might as well have not gotten it.

I was hoping for some suggestions on this and what your take on it is. Thank you for your assistance in advance.

since you commented that you plan on using the computer with both your 24" desktop lcd monitor and your 42" plasma tv you might want to think about the following:

- if you plan on having a switch to control which source the computer sends video to remember that unless your desktop monitor and your television share the exact same resolution it will be extremely (i speak from experience here) irritating when everything flip-flops around.

- if you plan on "copying" the source from the desktop lcd to the plasma tv the same applies. both should have the same resolution for things to appear right. that said, text will most likely have to be enlarged to view properly on your plasma tv as it has a pixel arrangement more suited to shapes than text. this would enlarge the text for your desktop monitor as well which could get old quick.

as for your need for a keyboard with a tracpad:

have you thought about such products as the logitech airmouse?

or perhaps this keyboard from logitech might work. logitech normally makes a good product.
http://reviews.cnet.com/keyboards/logitech-dinovo-edge/4505-3134_7-32098278.html

tigerfries

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I've looked at the Denovo edge and I decided not to go that route cause it is really too expensive. I'm looking to spend no more than $120 on a keyboard option. Even if that means giving up the touchpad option.

The air mouse looks cool, but I don't think I could use it for gaming as well. and that would be the main purpose for my mouse.

I see what you mean with the tv switching, and I currently deal with a laptop to the monitor. How would you suggest combating that?

this product was made for the ps3 and as such it lacks a windows key, but it does have a touchpad and left/right click mouse buttons. the only requirement is that your system have a bluetooth transmitter/reciever.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/687/3/

link to other tomshardware post with more ideas:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250707-28-htpc-keyboard

let me see if i'm understanding this right: the laptop is what you were speaking of as your 24" widescreen monitor? please give the listed native resolution of each screen to be used.

the trouble with laptops is that the primary display should always remain the one physically attached. I've read a post about someone wanting to change that but that is lookin for trouble. This would limit your plasma to either an extended desktop or a direct copy of your current desktop. the first option would eliminate you sitting on the couch and accessing the startbar/logging on/etc. the second option would work if the resolutions are the same or close. at the very least the aspect ratios should be close. I Know certain tv's can "widezoom" an image to fit it better to the screen if absolutely required but keep in mind this might reduce quality.

tigerfries

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011

tigerfries

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Well I've been looking around and basically I can't find any good keyboard with the trackpad that is of good quality or been reviewed at all except the logitech mediaboard. So if I decide to go about buying a keyboard this is what I'll get and for go the windows button.

there are quite a few options out there, but i agree it is very hard to make a choice given the reviews/price of some products. i'd hate to say it but the best option i can think of is a wireless logitech kb/mouse with either a slide-up tray or a lap-top board to use!

keep in mind (that with a simple program download) you can easily remap an unused key to the start function. when using my older keyboard (without a win button) i remapped the function to the f12 key (since i never used it) and i never had a hitch.

tigerfries

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Do you have a link to this device cause I can't find anything on it. Also I am from the US so if you could hook me up to newegg.com or something similar that would be appreciated. Thanks