Sign in with
Your question

[Solved?] Persistent Mouse Problems.

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
January 26, 2013 8:34:42 AM

First of all, let me start out by saying that I wasn't sure where to put this topic. I think any number of things could be involved. Hardware, software, memory, mobo, the CPU.. I really have no idea. I went with Windows 7 because, well, I really don't know Windows 7 all that well yet. I'm hoping my problem has something to do with my lack of understanding in that area, because I really think I've tried just about everything I know to fix it. I'm not sure if placing the topic here will get me the kind of expertise my problem needs, but I'm going to give it a try. If any moderators feel the topic should be moved to a more appropriate location, please, by all means.

With that out of the way, let's continue to the problem at hand.

~

For the longest time, my girlfriend has been having an annoying problem with her Samsung NP-R530 laptop. Basically the mouse cursor freezes for short moments, every 5-60 seconds.

What I've been able to determine so far:
- It doesn't seem to occur in Windows (7) Safe mode.
- She uses a cheap logitech corded infrared mouse that only uses a Windows family generic mouse driver, not a Logitech driver.
- The problem occurs with the laptop's touchpad as well, whether the mouse is connected or not. I therefor completely rule out that the Logitech mouse has anything to do with it (or that it is an USB issue at all).
- When Windows 'sounds' are enabled, the 'device disconnected' and 'device connected' sounds are heard whenever the mouse cursor freezes and returns to normal. This initially led me to believe this was an USB issue, but then I discovered the touchpad had the exact same problem.
- I feel the issue happens more when I play a game on it, but that may simply be a psychological effect. I can't rule out the mouse glitches out more when the system gets a good workout though.

What I have done so far:
- I ran Windows Update (had apparently never run at all). One of the first things I found out about on the Internet was a problem with USB devices in Windows 7 that caused similar erratic mouse behaviour. A fix was released in one of the service packs, but unfortunately it made no difference for me.
- Aside from Safe Mode, I also ran the computer normally but with a lot of unnecessary processes killed or disabled temporarily (everything I didn't know or trust).
- I ran Samsung's Update service, which was total crap and didn't work at all.
- Instead I installed new drivers manually from this page, including a touch pad driver and a new BIOS.
- I ran a variety of virus and adware scanners. Didn't pick up anything.
- Finally I contacted Samsung support, but they claim it can't be due to their software, it must be something I did. I'm not quite ready to believe them on that one yet.

Needless to say, I Googled the issue extensively as well. The only remotely related issue with any Samsung product I could find was a mouse cursor freezing on a Samsung touch screen of some sort. The purported solution to simply update the related driver didn't make any difference for me.

I think that just about covers all that I have done. Nothing really brought me one step closer to solving the issue. Another problem with the laptop is that is seems rather prone to overheating and tends to clock the CPU down for short bursts (but gradually more often and longer over time) when playing CPU and GPU intensive games for longer than 20 - 30 minutes. I think it's clocking it down at least, it could be something other issue plaguing the laptop. Either way, I haven't found any connection to that and the mouse issue. I think I'll disassemble the laptop and clean it out over the weekend.

Anyway, there you have it. I could really use some new ideas. :cry: 
January 26, 2013 8:55:47 AM

format c:
install win7
if its gone, it was a 3rd party prog
if it persists, the problem is likely to be hardware related

tried other mice or usb devices? does the whole wndows freezes? what says the processor usage during that time?
January 26, 2013 9:10:10 AM

Quote:
format c:
install win7
if its gone, it was a 3rd party prog
if it persists, the problem is likely to be hardware related

That's not happening. I aim to actually identify and fix the problem, rather than circumvent it and perhaps run into it again. Sorry, it's just too much work. Utterly a last resort, only.

Quote:
tried other mice or usb devices?

Yes I have. Printer, keyboard and camera are unaffected. But you have to understand that the laptop's touchpad, which is an internal component, show the exact same freezing behaviour as any USB mouse. I think that pushes the problem out of the realm of USB issues.

Quote:
does the whole wndows freezes?

No, just the mouse. I would have mentioned that if it did.

Quote:
what says the processor usage during that time?

Nothing seems different. Memory usage isn't affected, I didn't see any abnormal spikes in resources and general game performance never seems affected during a mouse freeze.
Related resources
January 26, 2013 10:23:10 AM

a reinstall needs 15min with 2 min administration. how long did you spend on the prob until now ;)  ?
have you installed a driver from logitech? killed all unnecessary services and processes?
January 26, 2013 11:08:25 AM

I think you need to read my post a little more carefully.
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 11:54:12 AM

Looks like you were pretty thorough. Might try tracking down all the mice and HID devices (except the keyboard) in device manager and forcibly deleting them. On reboot, it'll do a fresh install.
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 12:00:54 PM

I know you mentioned you killed all necessary processes, etc but it may not have been thorough enough.

Do a clean boot, instructions found HERE , and see if the issue continues (you mentioned that it doesn't happen in Safe Mode).

I would recommend using Autoruns to disable any other services or startup items that you don't recognize.

Not sure what all those things are? Go to HERE for help with identifying those pesky startup items.
January 26, 2013 12:01:37 PM

Will do, thanks guys! I will try out those suggestions as soon as she's willing to give up her laptop (it being a saturday.. I'm thinking a few more hours. ;) )
January 26, 2013 3:07:27 PM

Jed70, I owe you a very big thank you! :D 

When I looked at the device manager, I found a 'fake' generic mouse driver installed and running actively next to my own. I have no idea what it was doing there, but it probably conflicted simultaneously with the regular mouse and the touchpad, producing the same effects for both devices. Just to be thorough, I removed all HIDs, rebooted and reinstalled. All erratic mouse behaviour has stopped.

Hedwar2011, I'm probably still going to use your approach to find any remaining conflicts if I can't track down the source of those performance decreases I briefly mentioned in the first post. You have my thanks for that also.

:bounce: 
a b $ Windows 7
January 26, 2013 3:44:08 PM

Trrkk said:
Jed70, I owe you a very big thank you! :D 

When I looked at the device manager, I found a 'fake' generic mouse driver installed and running actively next to my own. I have no idea what it was doing there, but it probably conflicted simultaneously with the regular mouse and the touchpad, producing the same effects for both devices. Just to be thorough, I removed all HIDs, rebooted and reinstalled. All erratic mouse behaviour has stopped.

Surprisingly enough finding "ghost" or "rogue" drivers in Device Manager is a very common thing. It's mainly seen with video adapters or monitors but there is an occasion that one will find one within an input device or even a CD/DVD controller.

nVidia used to be really bad about leaving traces behind that were not easy to get rid of but it has decreased over the years.

Glad to hear the issue has stopped.
January 29, 2013 2:20:25 PM

It seems to driver and my related problems have resurged.

Is there a permanent way to fix it? It's great I have a temporary fix and all, but I imagine this is going to get a bit boring after the 50th time..
a b $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 2:38:14 PM

Have you plugged anything at all in that the os could construe as HID? Any new updates or patches?

Or, get a $30 microsoft intellimouse or similar, delete items as before, and plug new mouse in after reboot to see if it's just that mouse. Or try a loaner from a friend.
January 29, 2013 7:48:45 PM

I unplugged everything the other day so I could clean the laptop out. That may have triggered it.

Hey, I did try out another mouse before, but now that I think about it, that was before I discovered the existence of the fake mouse HID. I should probably try another mouse again.

Finding a proper driver for the current one would be good too, but be unrealistic. Logitech is one of the worst companies when it comes to long term driver support. I suspect an intellimouse is a likelihood. She used one before.
!