BIOS upgrade, not really necessary to install XP SP2?

Sometime soon I suppose I'll install SP2. I saw some discussion here that
Dell suggests updating your BIOS first, but I'm not inclined to do that-
unless Dell says that the service pack update will definitely not work
without it.

I have a 2 year old 8200 which so far works just fine.

When I do it, I presume I should turn off the Windows firewall, disable my
McAfee AV. Maybe also do a scandisk, defrag- anything else? As far as
peripherals, I have an ancient but dependable HP 4p laser printer, an HP
DeskJet 970Cse printer and an HP scanjet 4570C scanner- and no exotic
software, mostly I use Office and little else.

Oh, I haven't yet installed any anti spyware software, but I'll do that
first too.
--
*************
Joe Zorzin

"Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> writes:
>Sometime soon I suppose I'll install SP2. I saw some discussion here that
>Dell suggests updating your BIOS first, but I'm not inclined to do that-
>unless Dell says that the service pack update will definitely not work
>without it.

There was an announcement from Dell that said somehow a rumor got started
that updating the bios was needed in Dell machines before installing SP2.
The announcement said they didn't know how this rumor got started but it
was not necessary.

You should search for that an confirm it, rather than accepting just any
old wild raving off the net, just to make sure I haven't made a mistake.

>I have a 2 year old 8200 which so far works just fine.

>When I do it, I presume I should turn off the Windows firewall, disable my
>McAfee AV. Maybe also do a scandisk, defrag- anything else? As far as
>peripherals, I have an ancient but dependable HP 4p laser printer, an HP
>DeskJet 970Cse printer and an HP scanjet 4570C scanner- and no exotic
>software, mostly I use Office and little else.

>Oh, I haven't yet installed any anti spyware software, but I'll do that
>first too.
>--
>*************
>Joe Zorzin

Well, I finally updated my bios on a 4600 purchased last November from A06
to the current A10.

Upon completion, it did NOT say "relax, David, you can start breathing
again!" <g> but it **does show A10** as the bios version.

So I guess it went ok.

Now then, my next step is to finally install XP2. I've tried to do 'all the
right things' and bought a Maxtor one-step and backed up my hard drive. But,
the one-step comes with the most useless softwate (Dantz Retrospective 6.0)
in the world.

I'm inclined to reformat the Maxtor and but decent backup s/w for future
use.

--
David Nimon
dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

"Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> wrote in message
> Sometime soon I suppose I'll install SP2. I saw some discussion here that
> Dell suggests updating your BIOS first, but I'm not inclined to do that-

dick

I just finished installing SP2 on my four machines. No apparent
problems, and wireless networking is just fine. One a Dell 4550, a
Dell 4100, an HP zx5078 laptop, and a 9-year old, home-built, P1-233
SuperMicro with a 9 year-old bios. The Dell's are running XP Pro.
The other two, XP Home. All are working just fine.

Dick

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:31:46 -0500, dont@agora.rdrop.com (Don Taylor)
wrote:

>"Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> writes:
>>Sometime soon I suppose I'll install SP2. I saw some discussion here that
>>Dell suggests updating your BIOS first, but I'm not inclined to do that-
>>unless Dell says that the service pack update will definitely not work
>>without it.
>
>There was an announcement from Dell that said somehow a rumor got started
>that updating the bios was needed in Dell machines before installing SP2.
>The announcement said they didn't know how this rumor got started but it
>was not necessary.
>
>You should search for that an confirm it, rather than accepting just any
>old wild raving off the net, just to make sure I haven't made a mistake.
>
>>I have a 2 year old 8200 which so far works just fine.
>
>>When I do it, I presume I should turn off the Windows firewall, disable my
>>McAfee AV. Maybe also do a scandisk, defrag- anything else? As far as
>>peripherals, I have an ancient but dependable HP 4p laser printer, an HP
>>DeskJet 970Cse printer and an HP scanjet 4570C scanner- and no exotic
>>software, mostly I use Office and little else.
>
>>Oh, I haven't yet installed any anti spyware software, but I'll do that
>>first too.
>>--
>>*************
>>Joe Zorzin

Is this what they call a rumor? :)

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?c=us&cs=19&DN=1089836&l=en&s=dhs#step4

Gmom <dontcallus@wellcall.you> writes:
>On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:31:46 -0500, dont@agora.rdrop.com (Don Taylor) wrote:
>>"Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> writes:
>>>Sometime soon I suppose I'll install SP2. I saw some discussion here that
>>>Dell suggests updating your BIOS first, but I'm not inclined to do that-
>>>unless Dell says that the service pack update will definitely not work
>>>without it.
>>
>>There was an announcement from Dell that said somehow a rumor got started
>>that updating the bios was needed in Dell machines before installing SP2.
>>The announcement said they didn't know how this rumor got started but it
>>was not necessary.
>>
>>You should search for that an confirm it, rather than accepting just any
>>old wild raving off the net, just to make sure I haven't made a mistake.

>Is this what they call a rumor? :)

>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?c=us&cs=19&DN=1089836&l=en&s=dhs#step4

Well, see, my generally excessive cautions may have paid off.
I went to find the exact newsgroup posting that I based mine on.
This is what I just found with a google newsgroup search:
http://www.google.com/groups?q=dell+bios+rumor+sp2&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=r&selm=OTJ2vB4jEHA.2500%40TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl&rnum=1

From: Torgeir Bakken (MVP) (Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com)
Subject: Re: Blue screen of death after XP SP2 upgrade...
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Date: 2004-08-31 10:33:22 PST neo [mvp outlook] wrote:

> Any chance that you are working with a Dell Latitude D600? If yes, you need
> BIOS update A12 or newer or you will be a very unhappy camper. (D600's will
> blue screen and corrupt the hard drive. ;)
Hi

Here is what Dell responded to us about the D600 laptop rumor:

<quote>

On Monday a Dell customer posted a dire warning on a listserve
concerning BIOS issues with the D600 and Windows XP SP2.

This has now made it's way onto the Dell Talk Forums and is
being repeated at an alarming rate.

Dell engineering has gone back and tested the D600 using numerous
prior versions of BIOS and cannot reproduce the issue.

To date, there are no known issues with any Dell systems and BIOS
related to XP SP2.

</quote>

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

SP2 has turned into a zoo with everybody pointing fingers at everybody
but themselves.

"Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> wrote in message
> Sometime soon I suppose I'll install SP2. I saw some discussion here that
> Dell suggests updating your BIOS first, but I'm not inclined to do that-
> unless Dell says that the service pack update will definitely not work
> without it.

Always update to the latest BIOS...forget the old wives tales.

> I have a 2 year old 8200 which so far works just fine.
>
> When I do it, I presume I should turn off the Windows firewall,

Keep SP2's firewall.

Do imaging like Ghost or www.acronis.com

"Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message
> "Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> writes:
> >Sometime soon I suppose I'll install SP2. I saw some discussion here that
> >Dell suggests updating your BIOS first, but I'm not inclined to do that-
> >unless Dell says that the service pack update will definitely not work
> >without it.
>
> There was an announcement from Dell that said somehow a rumor got started
> that updating the bios was needed in Dell machines before installing SP2.

It's likely true but ONLY if one has a Prescott, Celeron D or Extreme
Edition CPU.
Update the BIOS anyway.

> The announcement said they didn't know how this rumor got started but it
> was not necessary.
>
> You should search for that an confirm it, rather than accepting just any
> old wild raving off the net, just to make sure I haven't made a mistake.
>
> >I have a 2 year old 8200 which so far works just fine.
>
> >When I do it, I presume I should turn off the Windows firewall, disable
my
> >McAfee AV. Maybe also do a scandisk, defrag- anything else? As far as
> >peripherals, I have an ancient but dependable HP 4p laser printer, an HP
> >DeskJet 970Cse printer and an HP scanjet 4570C scanner- and no exotic
> >software, mostly I use Office and little else.
>
> >Oh, I haven't yet installed any anti spyware software, but I'll do that
> >first too.
> >--
> >*************
> >Joe Zorzin

Note the Dell website article has a date of 8/27 and the post about an
earlier Dell email was 8/31. This issue has been relatively fast breaking.
Therefore the two are not at great odds with one another..big company.

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> writes:
>Note the Dell website article has a date of 8/27 and the post about an
>earlier Dell email was 8/31. This issue has been relatively fast breaking.
>Therefore the two are not at great odds with one another..big company.

I tend to agree. There are all kinds of people running around shrieking
that they know the real poop and everybody else is wrong. One swore that
second level management at Microsoft promised him there would be a new
version of SP2 out at the end of the month, presumably to make up for the
recent events. Others swore even more loudly that this was impossible
and he had no idea what he was talking about or that it was just one
more, uh, I think he wrote "phone dweeb just trying to get you off the
line so he can maintain his quota."

I'd DEARLY love to see the number of people with problems in SP2 when
a randomly selected group of 10,000 were polled, the real data.

> Do you have anything more to do with your time than fight with people over
> BIOS updates? By now everyone has heard your opinion. It's time to move
> on.
> --
> Ted Zieglar

Must we? I was really enjoying watching any trace of credibility vaporize so
spectacularly.

Stew

"Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message

> I'd DEARLY love to see the number of people with problems in SP2 when
> a randomly selected group of 10,000 were polled, the real data.

Small percentage would be the result. Most find it works just fine.

> > Do you have anything more to do with your time than fight with people
over
> > BIOS updates? By now everyone has heard your opinion. It's time to move
> > on.
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> >

> Must we? I was really enjoying watching any trace of credibility vaporize
so
> spectacularly.

Yes, there does seem to be a general paucity of true PC experts in this NG.

Well, it seems you have two choices:

1. Lift up the quality of the tech info in this newsgroup with useful
information instead of rants against other people. And, maybe while you're at
it, explain what it is that makes your comments so superior to others.
2. Go and troll another newsgroup.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:41:13 GMT, "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote:

>"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Do you have anything more to do with your time than fight with people
>over
>> > BIOS updates? By now everyone has heard your opinion. It's time to move
>> > on.
>> > --
>> > Ted Zieglar
>> >

>> Must we? I was really enjoying watching any trace of credibility vaporize
>so
>> spectacularly.
>
>Yes, there does seem to be a general paucity of true PC experts in this NG.

> When I do it, I presume I should turn off the Windows firewall, disable
my
> McAfee AV. Maybe also do a scandisk, defrag- anything else?

I never turn off the Windows Firewall, or its predecessor, Internet
Connection Firewall. In fact, I didn't disable anything before upgrading
the BIOS on my Dell 2400. The instructions I printed out from Dell didn't
mention anything about that.

"History Fan" <IHateSPAM@IREALLYHateSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > When I do it, I presume I should turn off the Windows firewall, disable
> my
> > McAfee AV. Maybe also do a scandisk, defrag- anything else?
>
> I never turn off the Windows Firewall, or its predecessor, Internet
> Connection Firewall.

You found the advantage of NOT using 3rd party OS utilities but only use
MS's.
MS's stuff is compatible with MS's processes. Use SP2's Firewall and lose
ZA etc.
That along with a good virus checker is all one needs.

> In fact, I didn't disable anything before upgrading
> the BIOS on my Dell 2400. The instructions I printed out from Dell didn't
> mention anything about that.

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:43:12 GMT, "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote:
<SNIP!>
>You found the advantage of NOT using 3rd party OS utilities but only use
>MS's.
>MS's stuff is compatible with MS's processes. Use SP2's Firewall and lose
>ZA etc.
>That along with a good virus checker is all one needs.

Now these tidbits of advice read very much like something taken from a Microsoft
press release! Just a virus checker and the MS SP2 firewall? Horsefeathers!
There are other security threats in addition to viruses and software that
overtly intrudes from the outside.

SP2's firewall warns of software intruding from the outside, but does zippo to
alert the owner of a computer about possibly malevolent software trying to
access the internet from INSIDE the computer. By contrast, Zone Alarm and
Norton's firewall, to name two, alert a computer user whenever software on the
inside tries to go outside. The user of the computer then has the options to
deny outside access, allow outside access one time, or to put the program in a
list of software trusted for outside access. That is closer to how a real
firewall works, as compared to the half-firewall (or quarter-firewall) which is
part of SP2... Ben Myers

> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:43:12 GMT, "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net>
wrote:
> <SNIP!>
> >You found the advantage of NOT using 3rd party OS utilities but only use
> >MS's.
> >MS's stuff is compatible with MS's processes. Use SP2's Firewall and
lose
> >ZA etc.
> >That along with a good virus checker is all one needs.
> >
> Now these tidbits of advice read very much like something taken from a
Microsoft
> press release! Just a virus checker and the MS SP2 firewall?
Horsefeathers!

Get a clue.

> There are other security threats in addition to viruses and software that
> overtly intrudes from the outside.

I should have added a good spyware checker and with those there are no
significant threats not handled.

> SP2's firewall warns of software intruding from the outside, but does
zippo to
> alert the owner of a computer about possibly malevolent software trying to
> access the internet from INSIDE the computer.

A non-existant threat with a good virus and spyware checker.

> By contrast, Zone Alarm and
> Norton's firewall, to name two,

are just excess baggage that requires care, feeding and money.

> alert a computer user whenever software on the
> inside tries to go outside. The user of the computer then has the options
> deny outside access, allow outside access one time, or to put the program
in a
> list of software trusted for outside access. That is closer to how a real
> firewall works, as compared to the half-firewall (or quarter-firewall)
which is
> part of SP2... Ben Myers

Nope.

Right. And, of course, the implication here is that Windows XP itself with its
Swiss-cheese browser, IE, requires absolutely no care and feeding? Sure. While
you're at it, sell me the Brooklyn Bridge and a BIOS update... Ben Myers

> Right. And, of course, the implication here is that Windows XP itself
with its
> Swiss-cheese browser, IE, requires absolutely no care and feeding? Sure.
While
> you're at it, sell me the Brooklyn Bridge and a BIOS update... Ben Myers

The clueless abound.

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:46:02 GMT, "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote:

>> Right. And, of course, the implication here is that Windows XP itself
>with its
>> Swiss-cheese browser, IE, requires absolutely no care and feeding? Sure.
>While
>> you're at it, sell me the Brooklyn Bridge and a BIOS update... Ben Myers
>
>The clueless abound.

A classy retort!

<SNIP!>

I believe Dell has some note on their site suggesting flashing the BIOS, but
it doesn't say it's necessary- perhaps they feel this is one way to get some
people to do it. I would think that updates to the BIOS have more to do with
rare and seldom seen bugs, nothing that should impede an OS upgrade, unless
those bugs were very serious and in that case they should be describe as
recalls.

--
*************
Joe Zorzin

"Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message
> "Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> writes:
> >Sometime soon I suppose I'll install SP2. I saw some discussion here that
> >Dell suggests updating your BIOS first, but I'm not inclined to do that-
> >unless Dell says that the service pack update will definitely not work
> >without it.
>
> There was an announcement from Dell that said somehow a rumor got started
> that updating the bios was needed in Dell machines before installing SP2.
> The announcement said they didn't know how this rumor got started but it
> was not necessary.
>
> You should search for that an confirm it, rather than accepting just any
> old wild raving off the net, just to make sure I haven't made a mistake.
>
> >I have a 2 year old 8200 which so far works just fine.
>
> >When I do it, I presume I should turn off the Windows firewall, disable
my
> >McAfee AV. Maybe also do a scandisk, defrag- anything else? As far as
> >peripherals, I have an ancient but dependable HP 4p laser printer, an HP
> >DeskJet 970Cse printer and an HP scanjet 4570C scanner- and no exotic
> >software, mostly I use Office and little else.
>
> >Oh, I haven't yet installed any anti spyware software, but I'll do that
> >first too.
> >--
> >*************
> >Joe Zorzin

How do I find out which CPU I have- it's an 8200 from July of '02. Runs
great.

--
*************
Joe Zorzin

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> "Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message
> > "Joe Zorzin" <abc@xyz> writes:
> > >Sometime soon I suppose I'll install SP2. I saw some discussion here
that
> > >Dell suggests updating your BIOS first, but I'm not inclined to do
that-
> > >unless Dell says that the service pack update will definitely not work
> > >without it.
> >
> > There was an announcement from Dell that said somehow a rumor got
started
> > that updating the bios was needed in Dell machines before installing
SP2.

> It's likely true but ONLY if one has a Prescott, Celeron D or Extreme
> Edition CPU.
> Update the BIOS anyway.
>
> > The announcement said they didn't know how this rumor got started but it
> > was not necessary.
> >
> > You should search for that an confirm it, rather than accepting just any
> > old wild raving off the net, just to make sure I haven't made a mistake.
> >
> > >I have a 2 year old 8200 which so far works just fine.
> >
> > >When I do it, I presume I should turn off the Windows firewall, disable
> my
> > >McAfee AV. Maybe also do a scandisk, defrag- anything else? As far as
> > >peripherals, I have an ancient but dependable HP 4p laser printer, an
HP
> > >DeskJet 970Cse printer and an HP scanjet 4570C scanner- and no exotic
> > >software, mostly I use Office and little else.
> >
> > >Oh, I haven't yet installed any anti spyware software, but I'll do that
> > >first too.
> > >--
> > >Joe Zorzin

what about anti virus software? That stuff always seems to trip up major
software installations.

--
Joe Zorzin