G

hi, i am probably gonna build my own computer and i was wondering if anyone knows of good places on the net to get cheap (but quality) computer hardware? The only things i really need to get are:
a processor at least 1 ghz (i'm thinking prolly an amd athlon),
a motherboard that works for that processor,
a hard drive (20 gb is fine, doesn't need to be good)
a power supply
and a case.

so all i need are the big expensive pieces, i already have a cd drive, A:\ drive, video card, sound card, mouse, keyboard, etc. I'm thinking i can get a really good computer for only a few hundred bucks like this.

so anyways, what would you guys recommend for a processor/motherboard etc. and where to buy them?

BTW, i have never done this before, do all cases fit everything or do you have to carefully look them over to find what's right for your system first?

thanks

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Get abit kt7a if youre going sdram, I would say Kg7raid if you were going ddr, but its not out yet and isnt cheap

get a 1ghz tbird(hope for axia)

ibm hdds are the best

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

G

is asus A7M266 a good mobo? Also, what new is coming out (i've heard something about amd mp's and nforce's)? i just don't want to get something that will be trash in 5 years (which is also why i've now decided to go with ddr ram)

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Wait a few months for reviews to come in on the nforce boards, im not sure about the a7m, sounds familliar but im running kt7a raid right now.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
A7M266 alogn with any otehr AMD761 based Motherboard are THE best performing DDR boards....I've ehard the MSI K7 Master is a bit better performing, but they've both came up with some good reviews.....

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try www.mwave.com. I have used them for major purchases and have not had any problems.

Whoever you choose, go to www.resellerratings.com and check out the vendors rating and customer responses. That will give you a good insight to the quality of the vendor.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

Five years? Not much these days will last two years, nonetheless five years. And I am not talking about functioning, I am talking about being obsolete.
deez

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
funny that....
people warn that overclocking can take YEARS off the life of the processor...
but given the rate of advancement i find myself upgrading at the max of once every 2 years. well within the CPU expiriry date.

my philosophy is to start thinkin about upgrading when a processor is released at twice my current one...
ie 333 with my 166
600 with my 300
1000 with my 500
dont alwyas get the fastest thou

im imagining my next computer will be something along the lines of a dual processor AMD 2 - 2.4Ghz palimino/thouroughbred... mmmmmmmmmm *drool*

"i love the smell of Overclocking in the morning!" Says my Hamster.

FatBurger

Illustrious
get a 1ghz tbird(hope for axia)
Why are you saying that? I'd rather have my 1.2 AVIA than a 1 AXIA. Just because AXIA is the best core (in that speed range), doesn't mean it's right for everybody. He never said he wants to overclock, maybe he should get a 1.4

Also, what new is coming out (i've heard something about amd mp's and nforce's)?

Athlon MP is already out, but expensive. Apparently you can get a dualie and just drop a Tbird in it, with slightly decreased performance. Double-check that before you do it, of course :)
nForce should be out in fall. Look for Asus and Abit boards, they'll be the best ones.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
He said cheap, the 1GHz axia is like 30 bucks less than the 1.2ghz part, and it will easily overclock to 1.33. On amd setups anyone who dosent overclock at least a little is passing up free mhz.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

If you have no experience and no friends to help you, I would go with a pc kit (case, motherboard, cpu, fan) that is pretested and burned in, and add your own hardrive, memory, video and soundcards. Go to pricewatch and select pc kits, then athlon 1.2. DDR motherboards start on page 3.