Athlon 4

G

I was wondering if somone could explain to me the advantages of the athlon 4 over the tbird. I know that its supposed to run cooler and offer about a 10% speed increase. Is that seriously worth upgrading from a tbird? I was thinking the "Hammer" would be worth waiting for instead of an upgrade to athlon 4.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Athlon 4 will have Cache Pre-Fetching feature...Run Cooler, Have full SSE Support, and just a few other minor thing, it has a Thermal Diode....cant remeber everything off the top of my head...
t's worth upgrading if your really Performance Hungry and want the best and not worried about money.....
Otherwise i'd say wait for Hammer....

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
First of all, whenever we see a new generation CPU replace its similarly clocked predecessor, a 10% performance increase (on average) is not unusual.

Secondly, the actual performance benefit you would derive from an Athlon 4 over a similarly clocked TBird (all other hardware being equal) depends entirely on the apps you run. It could be as low as 5%, but then again it could be 50% (or even more)!