YAAP (my second, level 15 human Tourist)

Well,

As it turns out, Magicbane was a fine choice for this character. Once
I got it by saccing, I never stopped using it. Great toy.

This was tough, though the /oWishing near the quest level helped. I
also used alchemy for a total of 22 potions of full healing, got my hit
points in the 325 range.

I wished for wands of death, a spellbook of identify, and there was
only 1 wand of teleport generated in the game!

All in all, it was fun, thanks to everyone... I can't believe I
ascended a tourist for my second win!
9 answers Last reply
More about yaap second level human tourist

    Jove wrote:
    > On 5 Sep 2005 21:57:40 -0700, thiskidrob@yahoo.com wrote:
    >

    > >YAAP (my second, level 15 human Tourist)
    >
    > Congratulations! (You really should repeat your subject line in
    > the post. Otherwise all replyers have to past it in, or feel
    > foolish responding to something not in the post. And I did
    > want to congratulate you.)

    Thanks!

    > >As it turns out, Magicbane was a fine choice for this character. Once
    > >I got it by saccing, I never stopped using it. Great toy.
    > >

    > I'm a big fan myself: magic/curse resistance, when
    > wielded, and one turn engraving: "Rodney is a wimp!"

    I used the engraving probably 6 times or so, very useful in tight
    spots. Especially when my char was a young buck in Minetown. He
    wasn't strong enough to leave the safety of the temple there for a
    while, until he acquired Magicbane. I definately would have died
    without it.

    > >This was tough, though the /oWishing near the quest level helped. I
    > >also used alchemy for a total of 22 potions of full healing, got my hit
    > >points in the 325 range.
    >
    > Two wands of wishing, with the PYEC?

    Well, never having taken a tourist up to even the quest before, I was
    assuming it would be tough. I actually had a pretty easy time. I
    wished for blessed +2 silver dragon scale mail, that helped a bunch.

    > Tell me your troubles. ;^D
    >

    > >I wished for wands of death, a spellbook of identify, and there was
    > >only 1 wand of teleport generated in the game!
    >
    > Very useful.
    >
    > With the PYEC one wand of teleport should have gone a long way.

    Funny you should mention that. It took me a very long way. I tried
    creating ast least one other thorugh polypiling, but it just wasn't
    happening. And wouldn't you know, while charing it on the Astral
    Planes, it exploded! Perhaps this should have the same effect as
    breaking a wand of teleport? Anyways, I don't think that it did
    anything except for cost me my only wand of teleport.

    At that point, I started using my wands of death to make it to the 3rd
    and final altar. Death was right behind me, only 2 spaces away! I was
    running for my life! I had 4 wands of death. I kept them charged
    well. I had so many because I was paranoid that I would run out. My
    last char, a cavewoman, died on the Air plane after having her weapon
    and the Amulet stolen by 2 Rodneys. Her wand of death exploded, and
    she had no replacement.

    > >All in all, it was fun, thanks to everyone... I can't believe I
    > >ascended a tourist for my second win!
    >
    > Nice work.

    What's next...

    > --
    > All the best,
    >
    > Jove

    Thanks

    Well, thanks for the tips. I am not sure what I will play next,
    possibly a random generated character, so long as it is not a tourist,
    or a wizard. (Wizard was my first ascension, about a month ago.)

    I really liked the tip about the cloak of displacement; I did not know
    that. I am somewhat spoiled, which is what gave me a chance to win.
    How many people beat this game unspoiled? It cant be many.

    Oh yeh, and I started and finished that character yesterday. Not
    continous play, but all in the same waking day. I probably play fast
    compared to others, not really sure, but I am sure that it has
    contributed to many YASDs in my past.

    good luck...

    On 6 Sep 2005 12:24:38 -0700, thiskidrob@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Jove wrote:
    >> On 5 Sep 2005 21:57:40 -0700, thiskidrob@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>

    >> >YAAP (my second, level 15 human Tourist)
    >>
    >> Congratulations! (You really should repeat your subject line in
    >> the post. Otherwise all replyers have to past it in, or feel
    >> foolish responding to something not in the post. And I did
    >> want to congratulate you.)
    >
    >Thanks!
    >

    >> >As it turns out, Magicbane was a fine choice for this character. Once
    >> >I got it by saccing, I never stopped using it. Great toy.
    >> >

    >> I'm a big fan myself: magic/curse resistance, when
    >> wielded, and one turn engraving: "Rodney is a wimp!"
    >>

    >I used the engraving probably 6 times or so, very useful in tight
    >spots. Especially when my char was a young buck in Minetown. He
    >wasn't strong enough to leave the safety of the temple there for a
    >while, until he acquired Magicbane. I definately would have died
    >without it.

    Very good job. Knowing when you're in trouble is a big part of
    the game. Then you know to use things to get out of trouble.
    Good job remembering to engrave. (So many people don't seem to
    remember.)

    >> >This was tough, though the /oWishing near the quest level helped. I
    >> >also used alchemy for a total of 22 potions of full healing, got my hit
    >> >points in the 325 range.
    >>
    >> Two wands of wishing, with the PYEC?
    >>

    >Well, never having taken a tourist up to even the quest before, I was
    >assuming it would be tough. I actually had a pretty easy time. I
    >wished for blessed +2 silver dragon scale mail, that helped a bunch.

    Really. Tell me your troubles again? ;^D

    Actually my one tourist (who ascended on NAO) didn't seem to
    have that much trouble on the Tourist Quest. Not many large
    areas to get surrounded in (that I remember). Mostly street-like
    corridors that channel your enemies to you one at a time.
    (Why professional soldiers hate street fighting.)

    And those shops! With plenty of containers for stashes, small
    rooms to hole up in when there's trouble.

    >> Tell me your troubles. ;^D
    >>

    >> >I wished for wands of death, a spellbook of identify, and there was
    >> >only 1 wand of teleport generated in the game!
    >>
    >> Very useful.
    >>
    >> With the PYEC one wand of teleport should have gone a long way.
    >>

    >Funny you should mention that. It took me a very long way. I tried
    >creating ast least one other thorugh polypiling, but it just wasn't
    >happening. And wouldn't you know, while charing it on the Astral
    >Planes, it exploded! Perhaps this should have the same effect as
    >breaking a wand of teleport? Anyways, I don't think that it did
    >anything except for cost me my only wand of teleport.

    Excellent work. Agree that exploding wand of teleport should
    have same effect as breaking it (as long as it had at least one
    charge.)

    >At that point, I started using my wands of death to make it to the 3rd
    >and final altar. Death was right behind me, only 2 spaces away! I was
    >running for my life! I had 4 wands of death. I kept them charged
    >well.

    You were happy! As long you stay afraid of the game, you'll do
    okay. Let your fingers play it by themselves and it's DYWYPI
    time.

    >I had so many because I was paranoid that I would run out. My
    >last char, a cavewoman, died on the Air plane after having her weapon
    >and the Amulet stolen by 2 Rodneys. Her wand of death exploded, and
    >she had no replacement.

    Always carry a backup weapon or two. Sounds like she was too
    much trouble even for that, though. That's why you should always
    over prepare for the Astral Planes. Doing it right can make it
    look easy, but it can go wrong in a hurry.

    >> >All in all, it was fun, thanks to everyone... I can't believe I
    >> >ascended a tourist for my second win!
    >>
    >> Nice work.
    >>

    >What's next...

    Want your ego busted? Try another tourist. ;-)

    Want to make the Astral planes as easy as possible? Try it
    with an experience level 30 wizard with 500 Hp and 500 Pw and
    a recently refreshed Finger of Death spell.

    Of course, with a wizard just surviving to Mine Town and/or
    Sokoban is hard. Even with Force Bolt and a CoMR. You can use
    Magicbane effectively though and that's a wizard's guaranteed
    first gift.

    And it's a lot of work finding spellbooks, learning spells,
    learning what each spell can do and when to use it. Spells
    expire after 20k turns, meaning you want to keep track of when
    you learned them. Don't lose your spellbooks. (although you
    can sell them early and get them back again later when you've
    more money. Think of it as pawning them.)

    Spell books can only be read three times. (A fourth time
    if you didn't already know the spell, expired or not. That
    may be to keep (master) mind flayers from being totally
    disastrous to wizards.) Name each spellbook with the number
    of times it's been read.

    Spells tend to expire at the most inconvenient times, too.
    And one after another. Trying to synchronize them is part
    of being a wizard.

    The good news is that when reading a non-cursed spellbook
    a wizard gets a warning if it may be too difficult to read,
    with the option to stop. You get two starting spells. One
    of which is force bolt, a handy regenerating ranged weapon,
    boulder breaker, secret door finder, and floating eye killer.

    And your starting spellbooks have a read count of 0. So you
    get the starting 20k turns for each spell, then three more reads
    of the starting spell book.

    And oh, when your second starting spell is Magic Missile,
    the wizard's special spell! Or identify. Both of which
    can happen.

    No #twoweaponing, Magicbane's your best wielded weapon.
    Starting skill for Magicbane (dagger) is Unskilled.

    You don't have enough Pw early on to survive by spells. So
    the early game consists of improving armor (generally at the
    cost of high spell failure rates), hiding behind your pet,
    and running, all while awaiting a poison instadeath.

    The Quest is pretty easy and the Eye of Aethopica is one of the
    best artifacts in the game: Pw regeneration and magic resistance
    when carried, telepathy when worn. And it can be #invoked to
    take you to any dungeon branch you've visited before. (That
    save a lot of turns travelling, which makes your spells last
    longer.) (I really should try #invoking the Eye on the Astral
    Planes. ;-)

    So there's a lot more to keep track of and know in playing
    a wizard. Not to mention how to gain as many experience levels
    as possible and maximize the improvements from each level.
    (Wizards mad with Pw lust should advance to experience level
    30 and then keep going. Seriously.)

    Rogues are nice with their starting daggers and the eventual
    ability to throw up to four at once. Plus daggers don't just
    disappear like arrows/darts. And you're always finding more
    daggers. (If I played one today I'd make stashes by the
    downstairs of each early level and carry every non-cursed dagger
    found.) If you get Magicbane again, you can #twoweapon with it.

    The Rogue Quest is annoying, though. I don't recommend trying
    it unspoiled. (My rogue on NAO ascended, along with the tourist
    and a valk. I was on a hot streak in those days.)

    The Rogue Quest item is okay, but nothing to write home about:

    The Master Key of Thievery
    (chaotic Rogue skeleton key)
    Carried
    Confers warning and teleport control.
    Half damage when attacked physically.
    Applied or wielded
    Speaks to you (gives random rumour, from the true file if blessed,
    the false file if cursed, or either if uncursed).
    Invoked
    Untraps boxes and doors with 100% success.

    Knights might be interesting. From discussions here on rgrn
    it looks like an early knight can survive very well by #jumping,
    then 'a'pplying the lance to an enemy at a distance. You hit
    without getting hit, and I don't think you can break your lance
    this way. (Joust later when there's a better chance of not
    breaking your lance.)

    The knight's special #jumping ability does burn nutrition.
    (Averages 3.5 jumps per apple/pear. 60 jumps per food ration).

    So use jumping sparingly, although you can try #praying for
    nutrition in an emergency. (And I don't think you have to be
    mounted to #jump, so you can jump around your steed, letting it
    attack while you're applying your lance.)

    #jumping is also an excellent way of bravely running away.
    Less so for the knight because of it's special "chess knight's
    move" form.

    Excalibur, of course.

    The knight's Quest item, the Magic Mirror of Merlin, doubles
    the damage of magic missile spells cast by lawful knights.
    An experience level 30 knight with the (MMM casts magic missile
    for an average of 96 damage points. Average. Maximum of 192.
    Tell me about Grayswandir again?

    On the plus side, you start with a saddle (on your pony).
    Don't lose it and you can ride any steed in the dungeon
    (including Ki-rin, which many speak of fondly.)

    On the down side, your saddle can get cursed, with you stuck
    to it stuck to your steed. (Wield Magicbane? :-) Wand of
    opening and spell of knock will unseat you. Potions of holy
    water don't help, apparently. Not sure about scroll/spell of
    remove curse.

    The "You caitard!" message is supposed to get tiresome as well.

    (Note: I have never played a knight. My suggestions have met
    with some criticism combined with resounding indifference.)

    You can try a gnomish(?) healer for the protection racket. But
    there's not much indication that succeeding at the racket helps
    that much for ascending. The healer Quest Item, the Staff of
    Aesculapius, looks good:

    The Staff of Aesculapius
    (neutral Healer quarterstaff)
    Carried
    No effect.
    Wielded
    x2 damage to all non-level-drain-resistant monsters (all except
    undead, demons, were-creatures, and Death).
    Drains levels (1 to 8 hp) from non-level-drain-resistant monsters.
    Confers hungerless regeneration and protection from level drain.
    Invoked
    Heals half hp loss, cures sickness, unblinds (except from cream or
    venom) and unslimes.

    But you have to take it from the Quest Nemesis, who's using it on
    *you*. (Hint: Don't melee ;-)

    Barbarians (or cavemen?) have a very tough Quest Nemesis.
    Ditto samurai, who otherwise are supposed to be nice. Japanese
    names for common items may confuse you. Use the '/' command.

    Monks are very different, with the emphasis on martial arts.
    They may be weak in the endgame. (So run instead of fighting.)

    Elves, the race (it used to be a class) with expert bow skill
    can fire up to four arrows per turn, when using elven bows and
    arrows. Not all classes can get to expert bow skill.

    Non-elven rangers start with a cloak of displacement, which
    can be very entertaining when properly used. (Hint: move every
    time you get hit in melee so the monster has to find you again.)

    Cloaks of displacement make monsters uncertain about your
    location up to a two square radius. So a monster next to you
    may fire in the opposite direction from you. This is supposed
    to be very amusing. (Invisibility makes monsters uncertain
    of your location up to a one square radius.)

    And, of course, all classes have different base spell casting
    ability, different spell schools they can advance in, different
    skill limits on those spell schools. Ditto for weapon schools
    and skill limits.

    The intrinsics gained at given experience levels varies a *lot*.
    Wizards get teleport at will (can trigger ring of teleport) at
    Exp 8, warning at Exp 15, and teleport control at 17.

    At the other end, Monks get intrinsics almost every other
    level (due to their "official" vegan diet precluding getting
    most intrinsics by eating.)

    So, stare at the class, race, spellcasting, weapon, quest,
    and artifact spoilers for awhile...or just roll up something
    at random. :-)

    --
    All the best,

    Jove

    In article <s4srh19o9rm6efl1232uqms09dkbpor02n@4ax.com>, Jove
    <invalid@invalid.invalid> says...
    > The "You caitard!" message is supposed to get tiresome as well.

    My knights have never seen that message, so it's not tiresome at all.

    "You caitiff!" OTOH...

    :)
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 6 Sep 2005 15:13:08 -0700, thiskidrob@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Well, thanks for the tips. I am not sure what I will play next,
    >possibly a random generated character, so long as it is not a tourist,
    >or a wizard. (Wizard was my first ascension, about a month ago.)

    I *was* wondering. :-)

    >I really liked the tip about the cloak of displacement; I did not know
    >that. I am somewhat spoiled, which is what gave me a chance to win.
    >How many people beat this game unspoiled? It cant be many.

    There has been much discussion on whether it's even possible to
    ascend unspoiled. (That's part of why I'd like to see multiple
    player capability. It could allow Nethack's rich environment
    to be used as more of an random DND scenario, with the emphasis
    on exploring and getting out alive instead of spoiling one's self
    silly then going ascension or nothing.)

    For someone who did very well indeed unspoiled look up Krysia's
    Crusader's posts to rgrn. (I believe someone put them into pdf
    format and put them on a website as well.)

    I'm not sure if there are any documented unspoiled ascensions
    of Nethack. (Rogue and Hack I'm less sure of.)

    >Oh yeh, and I started and finished that character yesterday. Not
    >continous play, but all in the same waking day. I probably play fast
    >compared to others, not really sure, but I am sure that it has
    >contributed to many YASDs in my past.

    Well, someone just posted an ascension that took a year in
    real time. One day is impressive. (So is a year, for that
    matter.)

    But enough with the Scrolls of Fast Typing, already. One of
    Nethack's strengths is supposed to be that you don't have to play
    that way. Although it's probably a strength that you can play
    that way anyway.

    >good luck...

    Ditto.

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jove wrote:
    > On 6 Sep 2005 15:13:08 -0700, thiskidrob@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >>I really liked the tip about the cloak of displacement; I did not know
    >>that. I am somewhat spoiled, which is what gave me a chance to win.
    >>How many people beat this game unspoiled? It cant be many.
    >
    > There has been much discussion on whether it's even possible to
    > ascend unspoiled. (That's part of why I'd like to see multiple
    > player capability. It could allow Nethack's rich environment
    > to be used as more of an random DND scenario, with the emphasis
    > on exploring and getting out alive instead of spoiling one's self
    > silly then going ascension or nothing.)
    >
    > For someone who did very well indeed unspoiled look up Krysia's
    > Crusader's posts to rgrn. (I believe someone put them into pdf
    > format and put them on a website as well.)
    >
    > I'm not sure if there are any documented unspoiled ascensions
    > of Nethack. (Rogue and Hack I'm less sure of.)

    I beat hack totally unspoiled, lo these many years ago. I didn't
    really have *access* to spoilers. It was a much simpler game than modern
    nethack, though, and it still took me years to pull off.

    I was spoiled rotten when I ascended my first nethack character.

    And I still don't believe that it's actually possible to *beat*
    Rogue.

    --
    John Campbell
    jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:21:36 GMT, John Campbell
    <jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com> wrote:

    > I beat hack totally unspoiled, lo these many years ago. I didn't
    >really have *access* to spoilers. It was a much simpler game than modern
    >nethack, though, and it still took me years to pull off.
    >
    > I was spoiled rotten when I ascended my first nethack character.
    >
    > And I still don't believe that it's actually possible to *beat*
    >Rogue.

    I saw some spoilers very recently about beating it. The new
    concept (to me) was that almost all maps had at least one path
    you could use to lead monsters around in a circle, hitting and
    healing alternately.

    I still don't know that I believe it will work. I know Rogue
    can be beaten by hacking the (encrypted) save file. I saw it
    done. :-)

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    thiskidrob@yahoo.com wrote:
    > All in all, it was fun, thanks to everyone... I can't believe I
    > ascended a tourist for my second win!

    Congratulations! I did the same, some years ago. (My first was an
    Elf.) Tourists, as you undoubtedly discovered, are tough in the
    beginning but have usually become the proverbial Unstoppable Killing
    Machine by the end of the game. It helps that the Master of Thieves is
    such a pushover, though.

    --
    Oh to have a lodge in some vast wilderness. Where rumors of oppression
    and deceit, of unsuccessful and successful wars may never reach me

Games Video Games