Do I need this "high priority" update

mb

I just installed SP2. Looks like all is well with that. It took about 55
minutes with my broadband connection (Dim 2400 system).

Now when I check updates I get:

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 resolves various issues found
after the initial release of .NET Framework 1.1. These include both
security- and non-security-related issues. After you install this item, you
may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it
cannot be removed.

So, what is this??? Do I need this??? I am the sole user. I browse the net,
use WORD and other utilities.

Mel

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> writes:
>I just installed SP2. Looks like all is well with that. It took about 55
>minutes with my broadband connection (Dim 2400 system).

>Now when I check updates I get:

>Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 resolves various issues found
>after the initial release of .NET Framework 1.1. These include both
>security- and non-security-related issues. After you install this item, you
>may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it
>cannot be removed.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>So, what is this??? Do I need this??? I am the sole user. I browse the net,
>use WORD and other utilities.

Every few years Microsoft has to escalate to a new level of software
tools and get everyone to pay to make the migration. The old, and now
bad, stuff was visual this and visual that. A while back they switched
everything to be the new, and now good, .net this and .net that. Maybe
you remember long ago there used to be some supporting files that would
let you run a visual basic application, even if you didn't program in
visual basic. The .net stuff is similar, a bunch of supporting files
that is going to let them hand you applications and scripted stuff to run.

Or, short form, it is bug fixes for raising scripting of things to the
next level. Since it appears from the message they already have .net
on your box the bug fixes probably won't make things any worse for you.

>Mel

Yes you do, because you have .NET 1.1 installed.
You wouldn't have gotten the message if you didn't
have .NET installed. I installed SP2 and don't get that
message because I've never installed .NET.

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I just installed SP2. Looks like all is well with that. It took about
>55 minutes with my broadband connection (Dim 2400 system).
>
> Now when I check updates I get:
>

> Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 resolves various issues
> found after the initial release of .NET Framework 1.1. These include
> both security- and non-security-related issues. After you install this
> item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed
> this item, it cannot be removed.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> So, what is this??? Do I need this??? I am the sole user. I browse
> the net, use WORD and other utilities.
>
> Mel

The real question is whether you need .NET in your system at all... Ben Myers

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:11:50 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

>I just installed SP2. Looks like all is well with that. It took about 55
>minutes with my broadband connection (Dim 2400 system).
>
>Now when I check updates I get:
>

>Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 resolves various issues found
>after the initial release of .NET Framework 1.1. These include both
>security- and non-security-related issues. After you install this item, you
>may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it
>cannot be removed.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>So, what is this??? Do I need this??? I am the sole user. I browse the net,
>use WORD and other utilities.
>
>Mel

mb

Ben and Pen:

I have NO IDEA what .NET is.

I guess I'll have to install the fix?

Mel

> The real question is whether you need .NET in your system at all... Ben
> Myers
>
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:11:50 -0400, "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:
>
>>I just installed SP2. Looks like all is well with that. It took about 55
>>minutes with my broadband connection (Dim 2400 system).
>>
>>Now when I check updates I get:
>>

>>Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 resolves various issues found
>>after the initial release of .NET Framework 1.1. These include both
>>security- and non-security-related issues. After you install this item,
>>you
>>may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it
>>cannot be removed.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>So, what is this??? Do I need this??? I am the sole user. I browse the
>>net,
>>use WORD and other utilities.
>>
>>Mel

wrong. i don't have it installed and I get offered it. If you don't know
what it is you obviously don't need it.

"Pen" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Yes you do, because you have .NET 1.1 installed.
> You wouldn't have gotten the message if you didn't
> have .NET installed. I installed SP2 and don't get that
> message because I've never installed .NET.

> wrong. i don't have it installed and I get offered it. If you don't know
> what it is you obviously don't need it.

I thought .net came installed as standard with XP ?

A sadly increasing number of apps now require it to run, so it might be
worth updating anyway.

"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> wrong. i don't have it installed and I get offered it. If you don't
>> know
>> what it is you obviously don't need it.
>
> I thought .net came installed as standard with XP ?
>
> A sadly increasing number of apps now require it to run, so it might be
> worth updating anyway.

Greetings,

My wife and I installed The Print Shop 20 on one of our computers. The
Install CD installed .NET Framework 1.1 before it installed The Print Shop
20.

And, yes, Windows Update had the Service Pack for .NET Framework 1.1 all
ready for us to download.

Like you said, "sadly increasing number of apps now require it to run, so it
might be worth updating anyway".

Leer

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Leer wrote:

> "Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>
>>>wrong. i don't have it installed and I get offered it. If you don't
>>>know
>>>what it is you obviously don't need it.
>>
>>I thought .net came installed as standard with XP ?
>>
>>A sadly increasing number of apps now require it to run, so it might be
>>worth updating anyway.
>>

> Greetings,
>
> My wife and I installed The Print Shop 20 on one of our computers. The
> Install CD installed .NET Framework 1.1 before it installed The Print Shop
> 20.
>
> And, yes, Windows Update had the Service Pack for .NET Framework 1.1 all
> ready for us to download.
>
> Like you said, "sadly increasing number of apps now require it to run, so it
> might be worth updating anyway".

Especially if it's addressing security issues. (note I didn't say fixing)

> Could you specify the apps that "now require it"? Considering that this is a
> home user, what apps could he be using that would require it?

I use a few freeware utils that require it - one that springs to mind is
an mp3 + cdg to karaoke cd imaging util.

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message news:ZPD%c.6603$8H6.1896@roc.nntpserver.com...
> The newest version of Ghost is called Ghost 9. It was released in August -
> as per usual with Symantec's Norton-branded products - and is just now
> becoming available in stores. My guess is that it requires .net because it
> includes code from Drive Image, and later versions of Drive Image required
> .net. What I'd like to know is why it requires .net. As you said, Ghost 2003
> works just fine without it.

It could simply be that the developers prefered to utilize .Net, for
there are some rather nice things about the tools, languages, class
library, managed execution environment, etc. I was a C, and then
C++ developer for many years, the later few spent developing for
Windows platforms. After 6 months working with C# and VS.Net
I really didn't want to go back to the likes of C++/MFC/Win32.

Thank you for that. I am not a programmer, and I appreciate your input.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Don Enderton" <Enderton@nosuchaddress.duh> wrote in message
> In this case, the MS article says simply that users need .net to run
> applications that use it. There is no clue there as to which applications
> do. I have many Microsoft brand applications, and NONE of them use it.
>
> I don't have any applications that use it, so I uninstalled .net
> (add/remove programs) and don't get offered the .net fix.
>
> My advice to the person who started this string is to uninstall it, then
> reinstall it only if and when he gets an application that requires it.
>
> - Don

They're mainly concerned that the user is able to utilize MS Passport on the
web.

Stew

> "Don Enderton" <Enderton@nosuchaddress.duh> wrote in message
>> In this case, the MS article says simply that users need .net to run
>> applications that use it. There is no clue there as to which
>> applications do. I have many Microsoft brand applications, and NONE of
>> them use it.
>>
>> I don't have any applications that use it, so I uninstalled .net
>> (add/remove programs) and don't get offered the .net fix.
>>
>> My advice to the person who started this string is to uninstall it, then
>> reinstall it only if and when he gets an application that requires it.
>>
>> - Don
>>

> They're mainly concerned that the user is able to utilize MS Passport on
> the web.
>

> Stew

I'm lost. The Dot Net framework has nothing to do with Passport. Dot Net is
the runtime for the new Common language library used by such languages as
VB.NET, C#.NET and J++.NET. While not completely common yet, it will be.
I use it myself in my programming.

That said, you likely have it on your machine as I believe it was included
in SP1 or SP1a. Regardless, if what it is talking about is the SECURITY
update, then, yes, you have it and YES, it has a big security hole in it, so
you WANT the update.

Tom

It has never been installed on my systems and I have run all three service
packs.

> I'm lost. The Dot Net framework has nothing to do with Passport. Dot Net
is
> the runtime for the new Common language library used by such languages as
> VB.NET, C#.NET and J++.NET. While not completely common yet, it will be.
> I use it myself in my programming.
>
> That said, you likely have it on your machine as I believe it was included
> in SP1 or SP1a. Regardless, if what it is talking about is the SECURITY
> update, then, yes, you have it and YES, it has a big security hole in it,
so
> you WANT the update.
>
> Tom

What makes you so sure? There's no simple way to tell.

Tom
> It has never been installed on my systems and I have run all three service
> packs.

>> I'm lost. The Dot Net framework has nothing to do with Passport. Dot Net
> is
>> the runtime for the new Common language library used by such languages as
>> VB.NET, C#.NET and J++.NET. While not completely common yet, it will
>> be.
>> I use it myself in my programming.
>>
>> That said, you likely have it on your machine as I believe it was
>> included
>> in SP1 or SP1a. Regardless, if what it is talking about is the SECURITY
>> update, then, yes, you have it and YES, it has a big security hole in it,
> so
>> you WANT the update.
>>
>> Tom

It would be listed in "add, remove programs"

> What makes you so sure? There's no simple way to tell.
>
> Tom
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > It has never been installed on my systems and I have run all three
service
> > packs.
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> >>

> >> I'm lost. The Dot Net framework has nothing to do with Passport. Dot
Net
> > is
> >> the runtime for the new Common language library used by such languages
as
> >> VB.NET, C#.NET and J++.NET. While not completely common yet, it will
> >> be.
> >> I use it myself in my programming.
> >>
> >> That said, you likely have it on your machine as I believe it was
> >> included
> >> in SP1 or SP1a. Regardless, if what it is talking about is the
SECURITY
> >> update, then, yes, you have it and YES, it has a big security hole in
it,
> > so
> >> you WANT the update.
> >>
> >> Tom

No, it wouldn't, I don't think. Not if it came with the service pack.
> It would be listed in "add, remove programs"

>> What makes you so sure? There's no simple way to tell.
>>
>> Tom
>> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > It has never been installed on my systems and I have run all three
> service
>> > packs.
>> >
>> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message

> Net
>> > is
> as

> SECURITY
> it,
>> > so

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:K_GdnUpTq74fz9rcRVn-uw@comcast.com...
> No, it wouldn't, I don't think. Not if it came with the service pack.

I seem to recall reading that XP Media Center and Table PC editions
require/utilize the .Net framework, and general release versions of
XP service packs only push [updated] frameworks onto those machines.
It sounds as though XP Home and Pro editions would only have a .Net
framework if the admin manually installed it, if they installed a special
release/preview version of an XP SP, or installed an app that installed it.
I wouldn't bet any money on this though.

As to figuring out if you have a framework installed, several ideas:

1) Go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools and see if you have the
Microsoft .Net Framework Configuration and Microsoft .Net Framework
Wizards entries.

2) Examine the User-Agent string sent by IE. Go to a page that displays
request headers, such as http://www.privacy.net/analyze/ and look for
".Net CLR" substrings, for example:

Q312461; SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

3) See if you have a "Microsoft.Net" folder in your windows directory.
As my User-Agent line reports, I have v1.0.3705 and v1.1.4322
installed and the corresponding folders:

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705
%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322