G

I read the P4 vs AMD article with the Flaskmpeg benchmark subpost. Its said there that a P4 1,5 GHz get up to 23 frames per second with divx encoding. up to 18 frames per second in high quality SSE2 iDCT, well I bought a P4 1,7GHz and have a ASUS P4T motherboard, have 128 MB rimm installed now but will upgrade to 256 next week. have a 40GB maxtor 7200 rpm HD and a Geforce 2 MX400 (64MB) videocard. But I dont get higher then 13 frames per second with the intel optimized version. and 5 to 6 fps with SSE2 high quality. What the f**** is this? Its as slow as the P500 I had before. Either the benchmark article on this page is wrong or I am doing something wrong. first of all a 1,7 GHz is a bit faster then the 1,5 and so I think it should result in higher framerates not lower. Somebody please help me out here cause I'm going nuts....

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
[Posted by babyviper: " I read the P4 vs AMD article with the Flaskmpeg benchmark subpost. Its said there that a P4 1,5 GHz...." ]

What's the spec on your RIMM?
Can you link to the test you compared with?
Were there identical hardware (video card, monitor), drivers, settings (audio disabled, etc.)?

What I learned, that bare processor speed isn't always the main factor in video/graphics performance.
Sorry, your video card,... can't find any site, reference on tests of P4-1.5 mated with GX400...

G

Its a practically identical to the benchmark only I have a faster CPU and a different video card. Have installed all of the most recent drivers, I had 5 to 6 fps on a P3 500Mhz. So I dont have the speed boost I anticipated.

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Dr. Tom uses a faster <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q4/001125/p4-05.html" target="_new">NVIDIA GeForce 2 GTS 32 MB Reference Card</A> in their tests?
Their scores with ~23 FPS are SSE2-Optimized iDCT. Have you got the same code?
They have <b>256 MB</b> Samsung 45ns RDRAM, 2x 128 RIMMs
and Win2K benefits from memory much.
Is your OS also Windows 2000 Professional SP1 ?

G

I use the same code SSE2 also have 45ns RDRAM but have 128 MB but will upgrade to 256 next week. I have a slower videocard thats true but a difference of 10 frames per second is a bit much isnt it. I run on windows millenium...... could that maybe be a problem?? In any case thanks for looking all this stuff up for me and trying to help me figure out why this isnt going the way it should go

dhlucke

Polypheme
The P4 is pretty sensitive. It only performs good under certain ideal conditions. Add more memory and hopefully it will help. Let us know what happens with the extra 128 MB.

The only thing I would check out now is that all your drivers are up to date, an make sure DMA is enabled on your drives that support it.

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

G

I'm gonna add 128 either next week or the week after and install windows 2000 proffesional sp2 to see if that improves. I will post my findings here. Still find it strange though, a friend of mine has a geforce 2 ultra, will borrow it from him too see if a vid card makes such a huge difference in mp4 encoding. Thanks.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
flaskmpeg isn't dependant on memory, 64megs all the way to 256megs, I saw no framerate difference.
the reason Tom is getting better fps is because he is running the simplest settings possible.
nearest neighbor, no deinterlace, no audio, etc.
he isn't coming out with outstanding quality DVD rips, he is re-encoding an mpeg video.
It is almost exclusively CPU dependant.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.