How do you fix corrosion?

f - a blessed thoroughly corroded +7 Frostbane

While meandering through Gehemmon trying to find that *#@$@^ Book of
the Dead (I'm sure I got it from Vlad, but when I found the Vibrating
Square, it was gone - fortunately, I hadn't woken Rodney yet), I had a
nasty encounter with a black pudding. Er, make that lots and lots of
black puddings. Now, both my Gauntlets of Strength and Frosty are at
the thoroughly corroded status, and my tame Archon (named Sirius IV)'s
Sunsword probably isn't doing too well, either.

What's the best way to repair a corroded object?

Electronic Samurai wrote:
> What's the best way to repair a corroded object?

For weapons, read a non-cursed scroll of enchant weapon, while confused
(!oBooze, old spell, etc.). For armor, read a non-cursed scroll of
enchant armor, while confused. This will repair the damage of
rusted/burned/etc. items and foo-proof them so that they don't get
damaged again.

With armor, you can foo-proof the item by reading a cursed scroll of
destroy armor, while confused. This does not repair damage, however. So
you could wind up with something like "rustproof thoroughly rusted
chain mail".

It probably goes without saying, but in the case of armor, the target
is randomly selected from your worn armor. So if you're trying to
target a specific piece, strip off everything but that piece of armor.
Enchant weapon will always target your primary weapon.

Nathan

Electronic Samurai wrote:

> While meandering through Gehemmon trying to find that *#@$@^ Book of
> the Dead (I'm sure I got it from Vlad, but when I found the Vibrating
> Square, it was gone - fortunately, I hadn't woken Rodney yet)

(snip)

Why are you going to wake Rodney? Does he have something you want?

Electronic Samurai wrote:

> f - a blessed thoroughly corroded +7 Frostbane
> What's the best way to repair a corroded object?

Others have already given the method. It is very
surprising you got below the Castle without knowing
this. So I'll ask a question - What version are
you running? The common ways to get Frost Brand
deliver it to you rustproof in the latest version.

> While meandering through Gehemmon trying to find that *#@$@^ Book of
> the Dead (I'm sure I got it from Vlad, but when I found the Vibrating
> Square, it was gone - fortunately, I hadn't woken Rodney yet), I had a
> nasty encounter with a black pudding. Er, make that lots and lots of
> black puddings. Now, both my Gauntlets of Strength and Frosty are at
> the thoroughly corroded status, and my tame Archon (named Sirius IV)'s
> Sunsword probably isn't doing too well, either.

Armor is also fooproofed a similar way. No need to worry
about Sunsword or your Archon's shield. They come
rustproof.

Vlad does not have the book. Vlad has the candalabrum.
Someone else has the book. You will also need the bell
from the Quest. The order is usually Quest/Bell,
Vlad/Candalabrum, find vibrating square, Rodney/Book.

How does that make sense at all? Get drunk to confusedly cast enchant weapon
to uncorrode something?

That just seems very random to me.

--
Blog:
Shedletsky's Bits: A Random Walk Through Manifold Space

Ah, that makes perfect sense. I do wish there were a less complicated
way, but I suppose I'll have to make do. Now that I think of it, it
_was_ the Candelebrum I got from Vlad, not the book. Oh well - back
upwards I go.

As for making it to Gehemmon while reasonably ignorant, I suppose I've
been playing exceptionally carefully this playthrough. I've lost far
too many characters already due to dumb mistakes (my best yet - 2 steps
into the dungeon, my knight slipped while #mounting his saddled horse
and died. :^) )

On an unrelated note, why don't I get ice cubes when dipping Frost
Brand into water?

Stathol wrote:
> Electronic Samurai wrote:
>
>>What's the best way to repair a corroded object?
>
> With armor, you can foo-proof the item by reading a cursed scroll of
> destroy armor, while confused. This does not repair damage, however. So
> you could wind up with something like "rustproof thoroughly rusted
> chain mail".

If the armor is already damaged, the item won't become fooproofed at
all; you just waste the scroll. It only works on good condition armor.

On 6 Sep 2005 11:55:57 -0700, "Electronic Samurai" <Crash_jet@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>f - a blessed thoroughly corroded +7 Frostbane
>
>While meandering through Gehemmon trying to find that *#@$@^ Book of
>the Dead (I'm sure I got it from Vlad, but when I found the Vibrating
>Square, it was gone - fortunately, I hadn't woken Rodney yet),

I'll bet you anything you care to name you didn't get the Book of
the Dead from Vlad, because ur qbrfa'g unir vg.

Hope that helps.

--
All the best,

Jove

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:22:49 -0400, "Shedletsky"
<mylastname@stanford.edu> wrote:

>How does that make sense at all? Get drunk to confusedly cast enchant weapon
>to uncorrode something?
>
>That just seems very random to me.

Well, a) You can't cast spells when confused,
b) There is no spell of enchant weapon, and
c) You didn't quote any context.

Other than that you're doing fine. ;^D

Alcohol has always endowed drinkers with special powers of
enunciation, perception, cogitation, and fine motor control
rarely appreciated by the alcohol impaired.

White lightnin' reputedly has the power to make people nine
feet tall and bulletproof. (Or at least the drinker feels that
way.)

The powers vested by the state of inebriation are not without
cost: disease, shame, humiliation, pain, etc. The drinker can
feel even worse.

Reading a scroll of enchant weapon in fluent drunkenese to
repair a wielded weapon seems much less random than using a
scroll of detect food or a potion of blindness to do so.

(All damage is repaired, corrosion, rust(?), burnt wooden
weapons, etc.)

--
All the best,

Jove

Electronic Samurai wrote:

> f - a blessed thoroughly corroded +7 Frostbane

Frost Brand, n'est ce pas? It dispenses frost, it doesn't turn it away.

> Now, both my Gauntlets of Strength and Frosty are at
> the thoroughly corroded status, and my tame Archon (named Sirius IV)'s
> Sunsword probably isn't doing too well, either.
>
> What's the best way to repair a corroded object?

Spoiler space for the easily spoiled.

For armor: wear it and only it. Have a non-cursed scroll of enchant armor
and a means of getting confused (and, preferably, a means of getting
unconfused). Get confused. Read the scroll. Your armor will now be
repaired as well as fooproof. If it wasn't damaged to start with, it
still gets fooproofed.

For weapons: wield it, get confused, read a non-cursed scroll of enchant
weapon.

Reading a *cursed* scroll of *destroy* armor while confused will fooproof,
but not repair, a piece of armor. Unfortunately, there aren't any scrolls
of destroy weapon.

If you got the Sunsword as a sacrifice gift, it's already fooproof.

BTW: foo = rust, corrosion, rot, fire.

Raisse, killed by a dagger

Electronic Samurai wrote:

> On an unrelated note, why don't I get ice cubes when dipping Frost
> Brand into water?

NINRL: Reverse sublimation -- that's why it's called Frost Brand.

Electronic Samurai wrote:

> f - a blessed thoroughly corroded +7 Frostbane
>
> While meandering through Gehemmon trying to find that *#@$@^ Book of
> the Dead (I'm sure I got it from Vlad, but when I found the Vibrating
> Square, it was gone - fortunately, I hadn't woken Rodney yet), I had a
> nasty encounter with a black pudding. Er, make that lots and lots of
> black puddings. Now, both my Gauntlets of Strength and Frosty are at
> the thoroughly corroded status, and my tame Archon (named Sirius IV)'s
> Sunsword probably isn't doing too well, either.
>
> What's the best way to repair a corroded object?

Sometimes your god will fix any damage done to your wielded weapon when
you pray on her altar.

Topi

P.S. You do know that you can wield anything as your weapon.

Same
--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 19:12:18 -0500, Andy Johnson
<swervy.a@take-this.out.gmail.com> wrote:

>Stathol wrote:
>> Electronic Samurai wrote:
>>
>>>What's the best way to repair a corroded object?
>>
>> With armor, you can foo-proof the item by reading a cursed scroll of
>> destroy armor, while confused. This does not repair damage, however. So
>> you could wind up with something like "rustproof thoroughly rusted
>> chain mail".
>
>If the armor is already damaged, the item won't become fooproofed at
>all; you just waste the scroll. It only works on good condition armor.

Yes, the armor will become fooproofed in those circumstances.
Someone posted just recently about foo-proofing damaged armor
and then using a *very* clever trick to repair it *without* using
a scroll of enchant armor.

I nominated it for Nethack trick of the Year.

--
All the best,

Jove

On 6 Sep 2005 17:47:39 -0700, "Electronic Samurai"
<Crash_jet@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ah, that makes perfect sense. I do wish there were a less complicated
>way, but I suppose I'll have to make do. Now that I think of it, it
>_was_ the Candelebrum I got from Vlad, not the book. Oh well - back
>upwards I go.

Hey, it didn't kill your character. And for embarrassment,
check the recent thread on embarrassing deaths.

>As for making it to Gehemmon while reasonably ignorant, I suppose I've
>been playing exceptionally carefully this playthrough. I've lost far
>too many characters already due to dumb mistakes (my best yet - 2 steps
>into the dungeon, my knight slipped while #mounting his saddled horse
>and died. :^) )

The Dread Lord YASD is the most dangerous foe you face in
Nethack.

And the Even Dreader Lord Marvin shows that every character can
be ascended if you play carefully enough.

>On an unrelated note, why don't I get ice cubes when dipping Frost
>Brand into water?

Heck, why don't you get ice cubes when dipping a wand of cold
into water?

Why don't you get a wand of sleep when you dip a wand of
nothing into a potion of sleeping?

Or a wand of invisibility when I dip a wand of nothing into
a potion of invisibility?

Ditto wand of speed monster when I dip a wand of nothing into
a potion of speed?

Or a potion of enlightenment when I dip a wand of enlightenment
into a potion of water?

Or a potion of speed when I dip a wand of speed monster into
a potion of water?

--
All the best,

Jove

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 21:36:13 -0500, Gary Olson
<garyolson@pobox.NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>Electronic Samurai wrote:
>
>> On an unrelated note, why don't I get ice cubes when dipping Frost
>> Brand into water?
>>

>NINRL: Reverse sublimation -- that's why it's called Frost Brand.

So why doesn't Frost Brand keep getting covered with more and
more frost until it gets too heavy to carry? :)

--
All the best,

Jove

On 9/6/05 5:28 PM, Jove wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:22:49 -0400, "Shedletsky"
> <mylastname@stanford.edu> wrote:
>
>>How does that make sense at all? Get drunk to confusedly cast enchant weapon
>>to uncorrode something?
>>
>>That just seems very random to me.
>
>[Defense of why confused ?oEA makes sense.]

For what it's worth, criticism of Nethack in r.g.r.misc largely revolves
around nonintuitive things like this. Basically, winning at Nethack
involves spoiling yourself enough (or trying enough random actions--a
strategy more likely to get yourself killed than anything else) to learn
the tricks that make it possible to survive until you've become an
unstoppable killing machine. Most of them are nonintuitive and don't
really arise from any particular strategy; you either know the trick or
you don't. So Nethack goes from feeling impossible to feeling reasonably
"doable." At that point, you either 1) challenge yourself with conducts;
2) get frustrated because you still YASD even though you "know better";
3) move on to something you feel is more challenging.

Yes, I expect to get flamed for saying that. And I'm not saying I've
lost the charm of Nethack. But I'd sort of like to see a discussion of
this issue among people who *do* like Nethack. I'd like to hear from
those who are well-acquainted with other roguelikes.

--
Kevin Wayne

"Stark raving sane."
--Rosencrantz and Guildenstern

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 05:44:12 GMT, Kevin Wayne
<killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 9/6/05 5:28 PM, Jove wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:22:49 -0400, "Shedletsky"
>> <mylastname@stanford.edu> wrote:
>>
>>>How does that make sense at all? Get drunk to confusedly cast enchant weapon
>>>to uncorrode something?
>>>
>>>That just seems very random to me.
>>
>>[Defense of why confused ?oEA makes sense.]

No no no no no No! That's not what I meant! I was defending
confused ?oEW against the poster's impression that it was
"very random." Slightly random? Perhaps. Just plain random?
No. Very random? Definitely not.

(Plus Shedletsky seemed to have other confused notions that
I felt should be cleared up.)

(Much reformatting follows: Paragraphs, Kevin! Paragraphs!)

>For what it's worth, criticism of Nethack in r.g.r.misc largely revolves
>around nonintuitive things like this.

>Basically, winning at Nethack involves spoiling yourself enough (or
>trying enough random actions--a strategy more likely to get yourself
>killed than anything else) to learn the tricks that make it possible
>to survive until you've become an unstoppable killing machine.

That is how 99.99% of hackers play Nethack, imho. I've just
started criticising that myself. See:

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.roguelike.nethack/msg/df9da81be6682eae?dmode=source>

>Most of them are nonintuitive and don't really arise from any
>particular strategy; you either know the trick or you don't. So
>Nethack goes from feeling impossible to feeling reasonably "doable."

>At that point, you either
> 1) challenge yourself with conducts;
> 2) get frustrated because you still YASD even though you "know better";
> 3) move on to something you feel is more challenging.

A better criticism of Nethack I cannot imagine. (unless you
said something about the state of its source code. :)

>Yes, I expect to get flamed for saying that. And I'm not saying I've
>lost the charm of Nethack. But I'd sort of like to see a discussion of
>this issue among people who *do* like Nethack. I'd like to hear from
>those who are well-acquainted with other roguelikes.

Think of the confused ?EA capability as an Easter Egg. Players
*love* quirky little things like this. As soon as someone tells
them the first thing they want to do is run out and tell someone
else.

And why any question in rgrn tends to get answered as fully and
spoilily as possible as quickly as possible. Heck, play on NAO
and people will send you e-mail to "correct" your style.

Much more later. I wish I hadn't seen this post just as I was
going to bed. In the meantime, if you haven't read Krysia's
Crusader's posts in rgrn, please do so.

--
All the best,

Jove

seraphim

Andy Johnson <swervy.a@take-this.out.gmail.com> wrote in

> Stathol wrote:
>> Electronic Samurai wrote:
>>
>>>What's the best way to repair a corroded object?
>>
>> With armor, you can foo-proof the item by reading a cursed scroll
>> of destroy armor, while confused. This does not repair damage,
>> however. So you could wind up with something like "rustproof
>> thoroughly rusted chain mail".
>
> If the armor is already damaged, the item won't become fooproofed at
> all; you just waste the scroll. It only works on good condition
> armor.

Are you sure, I was pretty sure that the armor would be fooproofed, but
it wouldn't be repaired.

Jove wrote:

> Someone posted just recently about foo-proofing damaged armor
> and then using a *very* clever trick to repair it *without* using
> a scroll of enchant armor.
>
> I nominated it for Nethack trick of the Year.

I wondered about this claim because I've tried it and
it didn't work. So I did a bit of source diving in
pray.c and confirmed this will only work with a
wielded weapon or weapon-tool. Check the pat_on_head
section of the code. I looked in the source code
for 3.4.3 and if I'm mistaken in my read please let me
know.

David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Kevin Wayne <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com>:
> >Jove wrote:

> >>[Defense of why confused ?oEA makes sense.]
>
> >For what it's worth, criticism of Nethack in r.g.r.misc largely revolves
> >around nonintuitive things like this.
>
> I don't think it's that nonintuitive given the general principle - which
> is not hard to discover - that confused scrolls do something odd, but
> related to the original purpose.

Use of scrolls while confused goes as far back as
corrosion damage. I don't remember if it was in Hack,
but it's been in Nethack for a very long time.

The existance of the spoilers and use of source diving
obscures a very valuable source of information that is
within the game - the Oracle. The Oracle gives minor
consultations for one price that are from the true
rumors file like a blessed fortune cookie. The Oracle
also gives minor consultations for a higher price and
all of them give extremely good advice that is oddly
worded. One of the major consultations tells of using
confused scrolls to make items rustproof.

Once it is known from the Oracle that confused scrolls
do something different that reading them not confused,
it becomes worth experimenting. Knowing a couple of
scrolls do good stuff while confused makes it worth
figuring out other ways to become confused without
using the two types of potions. And that path leads
to discovering a wide assortment of uses.

So it doesn't matter that it is nonintuitive. Playing
the game should lead you to figure it out. The Oracle
is mentioned in the Guidebook so anyone who pays
attention should eventually figure it out:

The extended command ``#chat'' can be used to interact
with
an adjacent monster. There is no actual dialog (in other
words,
you don't get to choose what you'll say), but chatting with
some
monsters such as a shopkeeper or the Oracle of Delphi can
produce
useful results.

Heck, the first thing I learned from the Oracle was to
apply a mirror to myself while blind to tell how far
away Medusa was. I haven't tried that in a very long
time as I've long since switched to using telepathy
whenever I ever a level and "/" to identify any interesting
monsters. I learn I'm on the Medusa level that way now,
and I've been doing that longer than the current Medusa
level layouts have existed.

To an unspoiled player, Oracle consultations are worth all
the money several generations of character can collect
between the top and the Castle. Major consultations from
the Oracle are an unspoiled source of excellent spoilers.

Kevin Wayne <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> writes:

> you don't. So Nethack goes from feeling impossible to feeling reasonably
> "doable." At that point, you either 1) challenge yourself with conducts;
> 2) get frustrated because you still YASD even though you "know better"; 3)
> move on to something you feel is more challenging.

Yup.. and most of the time I've been playing has been number 2.

> Yes, I expect to get flamed for saying that. And I'm not saying I've lost
> the charm of Nethack. But I'd sort of like to see a discussion of this

Flamed or not, what you said is still all true. And no, I haven't lost the
charm either. I like the game because it STILL REMAINS challenging when
even after many ascensions YASD is always near. Even when you know all the
tricks and occasionally manage to ascend.

--
Jukka Lahtinen

"Stathol" <stathol@comcast.net> writes:
> Electronic Samurai wrote:
> > What's the best way to repair a corroded object?

> For weapons, read a non-cursed scroll of enchant weapon, while confused
> (!oBooze, old spell, etc.). For armor, read a non-cursed scroll of
> enchant armor, while confused. This will repair the damage of

To put it shorter:
Enchant the damaged thing while you're confused.

--
Jukka Lahtinen

Andy Johnson wrote:

> If the armor is already damaged, the item won't become fooproofed at
> all; you just waste the scroll. It only works on good condition armor.

Please don't spread misinformation. Result of trying in explore mode (it
took some work; I was apparently too lucky to get the scroll of destroy
armor cursed in the first place):

m - a blessed corroded rustproof +0 chain mail (being worn)

Raisse, killed by burning scrolls

Topi Linkala wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
> > Jove wrote:
>
> >>Someone posted just recently about foo-proofing damaged armor
> >>and then using a *very* clever trick to repair it *without* using
> >>a scroll of enchant armor.
>
> >>I nominated it for Nethack trick of the Year.
>
> > I wondered about this claim because I've tried it and
> > it didn't work. So I did a bit of source diving in
> > pray.c and confirmed this will only work with a
> > wielded weapon or weapon-tool. Check the pat_on_head
> > section of the code. I looked in the source code
> > for 3.4.3 and if I'm mistaken in my read please let me
> > know.
>
> I checked both the official source and my patched source and there was a
> difference. The official source tests that you wield something and if
> it's welded or is a weapon(tool) then do things where as my patched
> version tests only for wielding.
>
> I have to check which patch that I've applied to my binary has changed
> this but I changed it back manually and re-compiled.

I downloaded the standard source and no patches. Starting
line 849:

if(pat_on_head)
switch(rn2((Luck + 6)>>1)) {
case 0: break;
case 1:
if (uwep && (welded(uwep) || uwep->oclass == WEAPON_CLASS
is_weptool(uwep))) {
char repair_buf[BUFSZ];

*repair_buf = '\0';
if (uwep->oeroded || uwep->oeroded2)
Sprintf(repair_buf, " and %s now as good as new",
otense(uwep, "are"));

Farther down I had to carefully count the {} pairs
to tell if the end of the clause is included within
the big "if" above. It is:

/* fix any rust/burn/rot damage, but don't protect
against future damage */
if (uwep->oeroded || uwep->oeroded2) {
uwep->oeroded = uwep->oeroded2 = 0;
/* only give this message if we didn't just bless
or uncurse (which has already given a message)
*/
if (*repair_buf)
Your("%s as good as new!",
aobjnam(uwep, Blind ? "feel" : "look"));
}
update_inventory();
}
break;

The update_inventory() is outside of the big if, the bracket
before the break is from the switch statement with the luck
roll.

Stathol wrote:
> Electronic Samurai wrote:
>
>>What's the best way to repair a corroded object?
>

> For weapons, read a non-cursed scroll of enchant weapon, while confused
> (!oBooze, old spell, etc.). For armor, read a non-cursed scroll of
> enchant armor, while confused. This will repair the damage of
> rusted/burned/etc. items and foo-proof them so that they don't get
> damaged again.

That's great ! I got my Cleaver back in shape!

> With armor, you can foo-proof the item by reading a cursed scroll of
> destroy armor, while confused. This does not repair damage, however. So
> you could wind up with something like "rustproof thoroughly rusted
> chain mail".

thoroughly rusted thoroughly corroded rustproof +3 dwarvish helm

Still the best I've found so far!!!!
Thanks !
Amities,
Olivier