Wands of wishing

Hi,

Very limited experience with this beast..

Made it to Medusa with a valkyrie...maybe three times in 7 years of playing.

Found a wand of wishing...already had a scroll of charging but got two more
as per spoilers

Have maybe three wishes, get geared up but thinking I have the scroll

Use the first scroll and then wish down till nothing in wand

read blessed charge scroll (assume blessed, wished for them blessed?) and
wand explodes

Now is this a thing that you can only have so many wishes or bad luck or ???

Really angry as best game ever and needed two more wishes to genocide
krakens and flayers
and get a marker to amp up AC and close to ascension pack

So could I have done anything different?

EdenR

---

Eden R wrote:
> Found a wand of wishing...already had a scroll of charging but got two more
> as per spoilers
> Use the first scroll and then wish down till nothing in wand
>
> read blessed charge scroll (assume blessed, wished for them blessed?) and
> wand explodes
> So could I have done anything different?

you can only charge a wand of wishing once. The second time you charge
it, it explodes. To get the maximum number of wishes out of it, you
must use all the charges (up to 3 charges) before charging it. Then you
get another 3 charges. Then, you can wrest one last charge out of it by
repeat-zapping it (requires about a hundred zaps on average, if memory
serves correct.) This gives you a maximum of 7 wishes from a 0:3 wand
of wishing. It is a big help if you can identify the wand as soon as
you find it.

For example, you find the wand at 0:3. You zap it for 3 wishes and it
goes to 0:0. Now, if you zapped it again, you'd probably get "nothing
happens", but there's a small cahnce you "wrest one last charge" from
it, and have it turn to dust. This is why you should try to ID the
wand- so you can see if it's got another recharge in it. Anyway, the
best thing to do with a 0:0 wand is to recharge it. This brings it up
to 1:3, and you can get 3 more immediate wishes. Now it is at 1:0, and
further attempts to charge it will result in explosion, so the best you
can do now is to wrest that last wish out.

"Eden R" <edroy@zip.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Very limited experience with this beast..
>
> Made it to Medusa with a valkyrie...maybe three times in 7 years of
> playing.
>
> Found a wand of wishing...already had a scroll of charging but got two
> more as per spoilers
>
> Have maybe three wishes, get geared up but thinking I have the scroll
>
> Use the first scroll and then wish down till nothing in wand
>
> read blessed charge scroll (assume blessed, wished for them blessed?) and
> wand explodes
>
> Now is this a thing that you can only have so many wishes or bad luck or
> ???
>
> Really angry as best game ever and needed two more wishes to genocide
> krakens and flayers
> and get a marker to amp up AC and close to ascension pack
>
> So could I have done anything different?

Yes, use the wand before reading the scroll. Think of them as scrolls of
re-charging. The wand comes with a random number of charges between 1 and 3
and can only be re-charged once.

Happy Hacking
Danny

Aaargh very clear explantion...

Thanks..will try to get one more wish :)

EdenR

"Eden R" <edroy@zip.com.au> wrote:
>Found a wand of wishing...already had a scroll of charging but got two more
>as per spoilers
>
>Have maybe three wishes, get geared up but thinking I have the scroll
>
>Use the first scroll and then wish down till nothing in wand
>
>read blessed charge scroll (assume blessed, wished for them blessed?) and
>wand explodes
>
>Now is this a thing that you can only have so many wishes or bad luck or ???

A wand of wishing can be recharged exactly once. A second attempt will
always destroy the wand.

>Really angry as best game ever and needed two more wishes to genocide
>krakens and flayers

No, you *wanted* two more wishes with which to do those things. Neither
of those genocides is anything close to necessary; using good tactics
will allow you to deal with sea monsters and mind flayers without any
serious danger. (For a start, both of those types of monster fear the
name of the Lady of Stars.)

Genociding arch-liches and master liches is far more important.

>and get a marker to amp up AC and close to ascension pack
>
>So could I have done anything different?

Yes. After you'd run down the second set of charges, you could have
kept trying to zap the wand until it gave you one last wish then
crumbled to dust.

By the way: Have you cleared the Castle yet?
\_\/_/ in the metal and blood in the scent and mascara on a backcloth of
\ / lashes and scars in a flood of your tears in sackcloth and ashes
\/ -- Sisters of Mercy, "Flood I"

I am in the Valley of the Dead..first level ..can go back to castle...

Still feel good but AC is only -18 as haven't found a marker

I remember something about not praying beyond somehere...do I need to go
back up
and get holy water etc

Also, can't see stairs down..do i dig down?

Cheers
Edenr

"Martin Read" <mpread@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
> "Eden R" <edroy@zip.com.au> wrote:
>>Found a wand of wishing...already had a scroll of charging but got two
>>more
>>as per spoilers
>>
>>Have maybe three wishes, get geared up but thinking I have the scroll
>>
>>Use the first scroll and then wish down till nothing in wand
>>
>>read blessed charge scroll (assume blessed, wished for them blessed?) and
>>wand explodes
>>
>>Now is this a thing that you can only have so many wishes or bad luck or
>>???
>
> A wand of wishing can be recharged exactly once. A second attempt will
> always destroy the wand.
>
>>Really angry as best game ever and needed two more wishes to genocide
>>krakens and flayers
>
> No, you *wanted* two more wishes with which to do those things. Neither
> of those genocides is anything close to necessary; using good tactics
> will allow you to deal with sea monsters and mind flayers without any
> serious danger. (For a start, both of those types of monster fear the
> name of the Lady of Stars.)
>
> Genociding arch-liches and master liches is far more important.
>
>>and get a marker to amp up AC and close to ascension pack
>>
>>So could I have done anything different?
>
> Yes. After you'd run down the second set of charges, you could have
> kept trying to zap the wand until it gave you one last wish then
> crumbled to dust.
>
> By the way: Have you cleared the Castle yet?
> --
> Martin Read - my opinions are my own. share them if you wish.
> \_\/_/ in the metal and blood in the scent and mascara on a backcloth of
> \ / lashes and scars in a flood of your tears in sackcloth and ashes
> \/ -- Sisters of Mercy, "Flood I"

---

In article <GiETe.25842$FA3.12296@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, Eden R
<edroy@zip.com.au> says...
> I am in the Valley of the Dead..first level ..can go back to castle...
>
> Still feel good but AC is only -18 as haven't found a marker

Wish for one.

Oh, wait ;)

Polypile for one.

> I remember something about not praying beyond somehere...do I need to go
> back up
> and get holy water etc

You cannot pray at or below the VoTD. Well, you could, but it's not a
particularly wise move.

It is generally a good idea to keep at least one !oHW with you in an
[oilskin,greased] sack along with your /oCancellation.

Feel free to climb back up to the Dungeons to bless, enchant or do other
inventory management.

> Also, can't see stairs down..do i dig down?

There are always stairs down from the VoTD. Search more.

Also, please reply below quoted text, as I am doing. It makes posts much
easier to follow. It also happens to be standard practice on rgrn and the
rest of Usenet.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> Anyway, the
> best thing to do with a 0:0 wand is to recharge it. This brings it up
> to 1:3, and you can get 3 more immediate wishes.

Note that this only works if your scroll of charging is blessed. If not,
there willl be a maximum of three charges, not a guaranteed number of
three new charges. Ie, with an uncursed scroll of charging, your wand
may just as well turn into a wand of wishing (1:1).

Note that the PYEC performs blessed charging for coaligned tourists, but
only unblessed charging for other classes or non-coaligned tourists.

Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

seraphim

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in

> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>
>> Anyway, the
>> best thing to do with a 0:0 wand is to recharge it. This brings it
>> up to 1:3, and you can get 3 more immediate wishes.
>
> Note that this only works if your scroll of charging is blessed. If
> not, there willl be a maximum of three charges, not a guaranteed
> number of three new charges. Ie, with an uncursed scroll of
> charging, your wand may just as well turn into a wand of wishing
> (1:1).
>
> Note that the PYEC performs blessed charging for coaligned tourists,
> but only unblessed charging for other classes or non-coaligned
> tourists.

ITYM the *blessed* PYEC.

Also, are you sure about the coaligned tourists bit? If that it true then
it should be added to art1-343.

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 01:19:34 +0000 (UTC), Seraphim <gme6@cornell.edu>
scribed into the ether:

>"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in
>
>> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, the
>>> best thing to do with a 0:0 wand is to recharge it. This brings it
>>> up to 1:3, and you can get 3 more immediate wishes.
>>
>> Note that this only works if your scroll of charging is blessed. If
>> not, there willl be a maximum of three charges, not a guaranteed
>> number of three new charges. Ie, with an uncursed scroll of
>> charging, your wand may just as well turn into a wand of wishing
>> (1:1).
>>
>> Note that the PYEC performs blessed charging for coaligned tourists,
>> but only unblessed charging for other classes or non-coaligned
>> tourists.
>
>ITYM the *blessed* PYEC.
>
>Also, are you sure about the coaligned tourists bit? If that it true then
>it should be added to art1-343.

Quest artifacts should align themselves with the questor...

seraphim

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 01:19:34 +0000 (UTC), Seraphim <gme6@cornell.edu>
> scribed into the ether:
>
>>"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in
>>
>>> Note that the PYEC performs blessed charging for coaligned
>>> tourists, but only unblessed charging for other classes or
>>> non-coaligned tourists.
>>
>>Also, are you sure about the coaligned tourists bit? If that it true
>>then it should be added to art1-343.
>
> Quest artifacts should align themselves with the questor...

Yes, but basically mu question is what would happen if you converted to a
different alignment after your quest?

Seraphim <gme6@cornell.edu> writes:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in
> >
> > Note that the PYEC performs blessed charging for coaligned tourists,
> > but only unblessed charging for other classes or non-coaligned
> > tourists.
>
> ITYM the *blessed* PYEC.
>
> Also, are you sure about the coaligned tourists bit? If that it true then
> it should be added to art1-343.

The PYEC's charging effect doesn't care about the alignment of your
Tourist. (Its blasting effect will, of course.)

b_effect = obj->blessed &&
(Role_switch == oart->role || !oart->role);
recharge(otmp, b_effect ? 1 : obj->cursed ? -1 : 0);

: "Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both :
: 'No' and 'Yes' and 'Try another newsgroup'." :
: -- Usenet Rule 17. :

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 14:34:25 +0000 (UTC), Seraphim <gme6@cornell.edu>
scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote in
>
>> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 01:19:34 +0000 (UTC), Seraphim <gme6@cornell.edu>
>> scribed into the ether:
>>
>>>"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote in

>>>Also, are you sure about the coaligned tourists bit? If that it true
>>>then it should be added to art1-343.
>>
>> Quest artifacts should align themselves with the questor...
>
>Yes, but basically mu question is what would happen if you converted to a
>different alignment after your quest?

That I do not know. Only time I've ever changed alignment was putting on
the wrong helm. I also don't usually play tourists, I'm more into Archs.

Seraphim wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" wrote:
>> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

>> Note that the PYEC performs blessed charging for coaligned tourists,
>> but only unblessed charging for other classes or non-coaligned
>> tourists.

> ITYM the *blessed* PYEC.

I didn't mean that, but you are correct that it should be blessed
indeed.

> Also, are you sure about the coaligned tourists bit? If that it true
> then it should be added to art1-343.

No, come to think of it I'm not sure about that.

Boudewijn.

as my signature..." - Me

Latest posts