2x YANI: Wishing for non magic items

#1: New conduct: Did not wish for a magical item

#2: Wishes which can be used only on unenchanted and uncursed non magical
items.

There's a list of magical objects in wan2-343.txt on Dylan O'Donnell's
page.

The vast majority of wishes would I expect be spent on magical items. There
are however uncommon and useful non magical items, but which do not usually
justify a wish. Most can be polypiled for. Some include:

Tsurugi, katana, lance, shuriken, silver weapons
Oilskin cloak, shirt
Lenses, cans of grease, wooden harp, wooden flute, saddle, icebox,
stethoscope, tinning kit, oilskin sack
Gold, gems
Potion of sickness

Crysknife for some early characters.

20 silver arrows would I think be a good wish for some classes anyway (e.g.
Ranger). 7 candles will sometimes be a necessary wish.

Dragon scales are non magical (mail is magical). Alchemy smocks are
magical, which seems odd to me.

Related questions:
Has anyone ever encountered a tsurugi other than Muramasa's?

Has anyone ever got good use out of a tsurugi other than Muramasa's?
28 answers Last reply
More about yani wishing magic items

    Andrew Kerr wrote:

    > Has anyone ever encountered a tsurugi other than Muramasa's?
    > Has anyone ever got good use out of a tsurugi other than Muramasa's?

    It has already been mentioned that the only way to get
    one is a wish or a post-Quest samurai enountering a
    bones file from another post-Quest samurai.

    Similar situation with a runesword. The only way to
    get one is from a wish or already have Stormy when
    you encounter a bones file with Stormy in it.

    The list that monsters use to select weapons starts:
    cockatrice/chickatrice corpse, tsurugi, runesword, dwarvish mattock ...

    fooatrice corpse is a finite resource, dwarvish mattocks
    become reasonably common at some point. This suggests
    that the DevTeam thinks that the best non-artifact weapon
    may be tsurugi then runesword.

    Has anyone tried a challenge of wish-yes, artifact-no and
    done a game with either? If I were to do an artifact-free
    game I'd be likely to try crysknife.

    In article <1126129148.958664.142060@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Doug
    Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> says...
    > This suggests
    > that the DevTeam thinks that the best non-artifact weapon
    > may be tsurugi then runesword.

    A runesword does the same damage as a normal broadsword, less than an elven
    broadsword. It weighs less though, weighing the same as a long sword.

    "Andrew Kerr" <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > In article <5WITe.639$yH2.387@trnddc05>, John Campbell <jcampbel@lynn.ci-
    > n.com> says...
    >> Andrew Kerr wrote:
    >> > In article <dfn98d$a7d$1@reader1.panix.com>, Nan Wang <nwang@panix.com>
    >> > says...

    <major Snippage of the discussion of two handers>
    > Does #twoweaponing with two cursed weapons have the same penalties as
    > wielding one cursed 2-handed weapon?

    No, it's just impossible.

    One is forced to drop the secondary weapon if it becomes cursed when the
    primary is already cursed (or vice-versa) One can then pick it up, but not
    switch weapons to re-weild it.

    The only other situation where both hands can become useless is when wearing
    a cursed sheild and a cursed item in weapon hand.

    Danny

    Would you be able to wish for a rubber chicken using this method?

    On 2005-09-07, Andrew Kerr wrote:
    > Dragon scales are non magical (mail is magical). Alchemy smocks are
    > magical, which seems odd to me.

    Well, they do protect against eaten poisonous corpses. Doesn't seem like
    normal apron behaviour to me.

    --
    Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
    http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251

    Nan Wang wrote:
    > Andrew Kerr <andykerr@spamguard.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    > > Tsurugi, katana, lance, shuriken, silver weapons
    >
    > Why katana, it's not significantly better than a long sword? Same for
    > shurikens.

    But katana is better than long sword except for getting Excalibur. Why
    wouldn't you want katana if you don't want/can't dip for Excalibur?

    > > Crysknife for some early characters.
    >
    > One would think crysknives are magical, given how they are obtained.

    Agreed. That's odd.

    -K
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <1126190177.495830.7300@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Electronic Samurai <Crash_jet@hotmail.com> says...
    > Would you be able to wish for a rubber chicken using this method?

    Yes, but then they have a limited life span. Wishing for one at the
    beginning of a game won't help a player ascend.

    Wishing for one on the Quest or the planes OTOH...
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Andrew Kerr <andykerr@spamguard.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    > Tsurugi, katana, lance, shuriken, silver weapons

    Why katana, it's not significantly better than a long sword? Same for
    shurikens.

    > Crysknife for some early characters.

    One would think crysknives are magical, given how they are obtained.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Electronic Samurai wrote:
    > Would you be able to wish for a rubber chicken using this method?

    By which method? By wielding cursed weapons? I really don't see what
    your post has to do with Daniel's and what method you're talking about.
    Please enlighten me (and please quote some context).

    --
    If geiger counter does not click,
    the coffee, she is just not thick

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:38:33 +0000 (UTC), Nan Wang <nwang@panix.com> scribed
    into the ether:

    >Andrew Kerr <andykerr@spamguard.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> Crysknife for some early characters.
    >
    >One would think crysknives are magical, given how they are obtained.

    True, but the "real" crysknives are decidedly non.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Nan Wang wrote:
    <snip>
    > While that's true, it's in my opinion wasteful to wish for one, given how
    > ubiquous long swords are.

    However, we are talking about 'Wishing for *only* non-magic items'
    conduct here. You'll end up wishing for some wasteful thing anyways.
    No magic marker, no artifacts, almost all the nice armor peices you
    want to wish for are magic, etcs.

    Not that it's a great idea. But it's an idea.

    -K
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Nan Wang wrote:
    <snip>
    > Doesn't mean it's not a waste. If I were to wish for a non artifact weapon,
    > silver saber/spear would take higher priority.

    Don't forget the silver daggers! You can even wish for a stack of
    silver daggers...do spears stack too? I *think* they do...

    -K
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <dfq3vp$fm2$1@reader1.panix.com>, Nan Wang <nwang@panix.com>
    says...
    > Andrew Kerr <andykerr@spamguard.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    > > Tsurugi, katana, lance, shuriken, silver weapons
    >
    > Why katana, it's not significantly better than a long sword? Same for
    > shurikens.

    But katana are so much more fashionable.

    Compare shuriken with elven daggers:

    Advantages:
    1/10th the weight
    More base damage (approx 1.5*)
    Can be poisoned

    Disadvantages:
    Break, (rarely if blessed)
    Do not share skill class with silver
    Not useful in melee (not that daggers are particularly good either)

    With arrows:

    Advantages:
    +2 to hit
    Do not require launcher
    Slightly more damage (comparable with ya)

    Disadvantages:
    Do not share skill class with silver weapon

    However, the way max skills are distributed for each character class (along
    with multi throw bonuses for Rogue and Samurai) probably means they're only
    good for Healers.

    Although that reminds me: Samurai may decide to use a non magical wish on
    20 ya.

    > > Crysknife for some early characters.
    >
    > One would think crysknives are magical, given how they are obtained.

    Weapons aren't listed in the spoiler. I'd have to source dive to find the
    answer to this, but can't be bothered right now ;)
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Nan Wang wrote:
    > Kremti wrote:
    > > Nan Wang wrote:
    >
    > > > While that's true, it's in my opinion wasteful to wish for one, given how
    > > > ubiquous long swords are.
    >
    > > However, we are talking about 'Wishing for *only* non-magic items'
    > > conduct here. You'll end up wishing for some wasteful thing anyways.
    > > No magic marker, no artifacts, almost all the nice armor peices you
    > > want to wish for are magic, etcs.
    >
    > > Not that it's a great idea. But it's an idea.
    >
    > Doesn't mean it's not a waste. If I were to wish for a non artifact weapon,
    > silver saber/spear would take higher priority.

    Both long swords and silver sabers are common items because
    captains and the watch captain come with 50-50 chance of
    those two weapons.

    In comparison katana and silver spear/dagger are rare
    because they only appear in random drops or the katana in
    a samurai's starting items.

    Because long sword and silver saber are common, tusuri is
    two handed, runesword isn't that much better and crysknives
    easily made, my non-magical weapon wish is "blessed
    rustproof +3 athame". Athames only appear in the initial
    inventory of archliches and (IIRC) never in random drops.
    I'd rather burn a wish on one than face enough archliches
    to have one ensured.

    Going non-magical I'd emerge from the mines with mithril,
    the best of the other individual armor items, whichever of
    long sword or silver saber that nice watch captain left
    me in his will, a quiver of whateve daggers I'd found,
    and my weapon wish would be an athame. Is Sting magical?
    If not it would be my backup weapon until the athame
    arrived.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:15:28 GMT, Andrew Kerr
    <andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >In article <dfq3vp$fm2$1@reader1.panix.com>, Nan Wang <nwang@panix.com>
    >says...
    >> Andrew Kerr <andykerr@spamguard.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >> > Tsurugi, katana, lance, shuriken, silver weapons
    >>
    >> Why katana, it's not significantly better than a long sword? Same for
    >> shurikens.
    >
    >But katana are so much more fashionable.

    Sounds good to me. :-)

    >Compare shuriken with elven daggers:
    >
    >Advantages:
    >1/10th the weight
    >More base damage (approx 1.5*)
    >Can be poisoned
    >
    >Disadvantages:
    >Break, (rarely if blessed)

    Sounds kind of like the tourist's starting darts. Use them
    up and you'll get to where you can bless them and increase your
    luck to where the remainder will last a while.

    Try to save them until you're sure you won't lose them and
    they'll just end up in a bones file. ;-)

    >Do not share skill class with silver
    >Not useful in melee (not that daggers are particularly good either)

    Daggers, and presumably shuriken and arrows too, can be
    thrown/fired at any distance, even melee range.

    >With arrows:
    >
    >Advantages:
    >+2 to hit
    >Do not require launcher
    >Slightly more damage (comparable with ya)
    >
    >Disadvantages:
    >Do not share skill class with silver weapon

    The disadvantage with shuriken that has come up before
    is getting a decent supply of them. Shuriken traps have
    been requested to rectify this.

    <Snipperio>

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Kremti <kremti@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Nan Wang wrote:
    > > Andrew Kerr <andykerr@spamguard.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    > > > Tsurugi, katana, lance, shuriken, silver weapons
    > >
    > > Why katana, it's not significantly better than a long sword? Same for
    > > shurikens.

    > But katana is better than long sword except for getting Excalibur. Why
    > wouldn't you want katana if you don't want/can't dip for Excalibur?

    While that's true, it's in my opinion wasteful to wish for one, given how
    ubiquous long swords are.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Kremti <kremti@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Nan Wang wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > While that's true, it's in my opinion wasteful to wish for one, given how
    > > ubiquous long swords are.

    > However, we are talking about 'Wishing for *only* non-magic items'
    > conduct here. You'll end up wishing for some wasteful thing anyways.
    > No magic marker, no artifacts, almost all the nice armor peices you
    > want to wish for are magic, etcs.

    > Not that it's a great idea. But it's an idea.

    Doesn't mean it's not a waste. If I were to wish for a non artifact weapon,
    silver saber/spear would take higher priority.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Matt Frisch wrote:
    > Nan Wang scribed:
    > Kremti wrote:
    >
    > >> But katana is better than long sword except for getting Excalibur. Why
    > >> wouldn't you want katana if you don't want/can't dip for Excalibur?
    >
    > >While that's true, it's in my opinion wasteful to wish for one, given how
    > >ubiquous long swords are.
    >
    > Which isn't my experience at all, actually. I find them incredibly hard to
    > find until you get to around DL10 or so and Barrow Wights start to show
    > up...even they are fairly uncommon.

    Note the interesting difference in views. One sees long
    swords as being everywhere because types of monsters carry
    them and in time you'll have plenty. The other sees them
    as rare because of how many levels it takes to be certain
    of getting them. It implies different skill level in the
    early game. Either that or it means someone plays Valks
    and since a Valk starts with a long sword the RNG will
    see that game hip deep in stacks of long swords! ;^)

    It also implies something about willingness to kill the
    watch captain for his weapon even if you're lawfull.
    Chaotics get no penalty for killing the watch, but I have
    long considered that a 50% chance of a long sword that
    can be dipped makes it worth a lawfull character paying
    the price and then fixing it at the altar. For me not
    killing peacefulls is a choice that includes asking
    myself if their items are worth an exception. "If you
    want to make an omlette you have to break some eggs."

    > But then I also have terrible luck with stores. All of the games with good
    > stores I end up dying early. My current game, where I just beat the castle
    > for the first time, the only 3 stores in the whole game are in minetown.
    > Izchak's (ofc), a 2x2 food store, and a pair of 2x3 general/tool stores. No
    > longswords to be had.

    The RNG is evil.

    If you beat the Castle (and Ludios?) the chances are very
    low that you have not seen long swords. Watch captain 50%,
    barrow wights and then Nzgul on the way down. Captains
    mixed into the soldier mix on both fortress levels at 50%
    each.

    Another approach - Does not wishing for magical items
    include atheist conduct? If not altar camping often gives
    long sword artifacts.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <1126283188.223705.219390@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, Kremti
    <kremti@gmail.com> says...
    > do spears stack too? I *think* they do...

    They do.

    They don't multi throw though.
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 13:51:42 +0000 (UTC), Nan Wang <nwang@panix.com> scribed
    into the ether:

    >Kremti <kremti@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> Nan Wang wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Why katana, it's not significantly better than a long sword? Same for
    >> > shurikens.
    >
    >> But katana is better than long sword except for getting Excalibur. Why
    >> wouldn't you want katana if you don't want/can't dip for Excalibur?
    >
    >While that's true, it's in my opinion wasteful to wish for one, given how
    >ubiquous long swords are.

    Which isn't my experience at all, actually. I find them incredibly hard to
    find until you get to around DL10 or so and Barrow Wights start to show
    up...even they are fairly uncommon.

    But then I also have terrible luck with stores. All of the games with good
    stores I end up dying early. My current game, where I just beat the castle
    for the first time, the only 3 stores in the whole game are in minetown.
    Izchak's (ofc), a 2x2 food store, and a pair of 2x3 general/tool stores. No
    longswords to be had.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    In article <1126298260.279514.63520@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Doug
    Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> says...
    > my non-magical weapon wish is "blessed
    > rustproof +3 athame". Athames only appear in the initial
    > inventory of archliches and (IIRC) never in random drops.
    > I'd rather burn a wish on one than face enough archliches
    > to have one ensured.

    Aha, I'd forgotten athames. They are indeed never randomly generated
    (excepting archliches), much like the tsurugi.

    Bullwhips are very rare too.
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Doug Freyburger wrote:

    > Going non-magical I'd emerge from the mines with mithril,
    > the best of the other individual armor items, whichever of
    > long sword or silver saber that nice watch captain left
    > me in his will, a quiver of whateve daggers I'd found,
    > and my weapon wish would be an athame. Is Sting magical?
    > If not it would be my backup weapon until the athame
    > arrived.

    Sting is as magic as any other artifact weapon. But wishing for
    it would be rather a waste, anyway, considering how easy it is to make.

    --
    John Campbell
    jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

    Andrew Kerr wrote:
    > In article <1126298260.279514.63520@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Doug
    > Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> says...
    >
    >>my non-magical weapon wish is "blessed
    >>rustproof +3 athame". Athames only appear in the initial
    >>inventory of archliches and (IIRC) never in random drops.
    >>I'd rather burn a wish on one than face enough archliches
    >>to have one ensured.
    >
    > Aha, I'd forgotten athames. They are indeed never randomly generated
    > (excepting archliches), much like the tsurugi.
    >
    > Bullwhips are very rare too.

    Balrogs carry them. But I suppose those fall into the "I'd
    rather burn a wish" category...

    --
    John Campbell
    jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

    On 9 Sep 2005 15:03:51 -0700, "Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com>
    scribed into the ether:

    >Matt Frisch wrote:
    >> Nan Wang scribed:

    >> >While that's true, it's in my opinion wasteful to wish for one, given how
    >> >ubiquous long swords are.
    >>
    >> Which isn't my experience at all, actually. I find them incredibly hard to
    >> find until you get to around DL10 or so and Barrow Wights start to show
    >> up...even they are fairly uncommon.
    >
    >Note the interesting difference in views. One sees long
    >swords as being everywhere because types of monsters carry
    >them and in time you'll have plenty. The other sees them
    >as rare because of how many levels it takes to be certain
    >of getting them. It implies different skill level in the
    >early game. Either that or it means someone plays Valks
    >and since a Valk starts with a long sword the RNG will
    >see that game hip deep in stacks of long swords! ;^)

    Even playing a Valk, I don't see them much (beyond the starting one of
    course, which I've never successfully Excaliburized)

    >It also implies something about willingness to kill the
    >watch captain for his weapon even if you're lawfull.

    Oh, I have no moral difficulties with killing the captain, it's the ability
    to do so that many of my characters lack. And usually when they do, he has
    a sabre instead.

    >> But then I also have terrible luck with stores. All of the games with good
    >> stores I end up dying early. My current game, where I just beat the castle
    >> for the first time, the only 3 stores in the whole game are in minetown.
    >> Izchak's (ofc), a 2x2 food store, and a pair of 2x3 general/tool stores. No
    >> longswords to be had.
    >
    >The RNG is evil.
    >
    >If you beat the Castle (and Ludios?) the chances are very
    >low that you have not seen long swords. Watch captain 50%,
    >barrow wights and then Nzgul on the way down. Captains
    >mixed into the soldier mix on both fortress levels at 50%
    >each.

    Oh, by the time I hit the castle I'd found bunches. But this character was
    not a longsword user (although my god sure didn't seem to know this, as he
    kept dropping artifact LSs on me). It's earlier on when Excalibur would
    make a monumental difference that the basis weapons are so hard to come by.

    Anyway, for a Valk, I find it better to just throw some corpses on the
    altar, Mojo is sweet, even without the gauntlets. Corpses are not in short
    supply.
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 11 Sep 2005 12:54:34 -0700, "Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com>
    scribed into the ether:

    >Matt Frisch wrote:
    >> Doug Freyburger wrote:

    >> >Note the interesting difference in views. One sees long
    >> >swords as being everywhere because types of monsters carry
    >> >them and in time you'll have plenty. The other sees them
    >> >as rare because of how many levels it takes to be certain
    >> >of getting them. It implies different skill level in the
    >> >early game. Either that or it means someone plays Valks
    >> >and since a Valk starts with a long sword the RNG will
    >> >see that game hip deep in stacks of long swords! ;^)
    >>
    >> Even playing a Valk, I don't see them much (beyond the starting one of
    >> course, which I've never successfully Excaliburized)
    >
    >If your Valk is lawfull then either you don't know the
    >requirements or you have not been persistant enough. I
    >have run dry every fountain down to level 10 in the
    >process but never failed to get Excalibur except from
    >dying in the attempts.

    I've never had a problem dipping a found longsword for Excalibur, but the
    one I start with seems...cursed, and not in the game sense. It always
    either dries up the fountain, or blows up the fountain, or summons a
    hostile water demon.

    >> >It also implies something about willingness to kill the
    >> >watch captain for his weapon even if you're lawfull.
    >>
    >> Oh, I have no moral difficulties with killing the captain, it's the ability
    >> to do so that many of my characters lack.
    >
    >Are you taking them out on the way down rather than on
    >the way back up?

    Either. I want to avoid the alignment hit, so I don't do it myself. A large
    dog/cat isn't good enough by itself to do this, so I need to either wait
    until I find a healing spellbook, or until I can tame/poly for a beefier
    pet.

    >On the way back up your pet should be able to handle the
    >regular watchmen just fine so a bit of pet dancing to
    >wear the watch captain down a bit tends to work.

    Regular watchmen are cold meat to a large cat/dog. The captain is a lot
    trickier.

    >> Anyway, for a Valk, I find it better to just throw some corpses on the
    >> altar, Mojo is sweet, even without the gauntlets. Corpses are not in short
    >> supply.
    >
    >A lawfull Valk is assured of both Excalibur and Mojo.

    Throwing corpses on the altar has the virtue of no drawbacks. Dipping is
    highly dangerous.
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:19:14 GMT, Matt Frisch
    <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:

    >On 11 Sep 2005 12:54:34 -0700, "Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com>
    >scribed into the ether:
    >
    >Either. I want to avoid the alignment hit, so I don't do it myself. A large
    >dog/cat isn't good enough by itself to do this, so I need to either wait
    >until I find a healing spellbook, or until I can tame/poly for a beefier
    >pet.
    >
    >>On the way back up your pet should be able to handle the
    >>regular watchmen just fine so a bit of pet dancing to
    >>wear the watch captain down a bit tends to work.
    >
    >Regular watchmen are cold meat to a large cat/dog. The captain is a lot
    >trickier.

    Use two fully developed large pets at once.

    Or, and be aware I haven't tried this, soften up the captain
    first yourself, then let your pet perform the coup de gras.
    A stethoscope would probably help a lot.

    (If you soften up a peaceful, then lead it into a trap that
    kills it, do you get the blame?)

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:47:12 GMT, Jove <invalid@invalid.invalid>
    wrote:

    <yes, I'm following up my own post again>

    >On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:19:14 GMT, Matt Frisch
    ><matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On 11 Sep 2005 12:54:34 -0700, "Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com>
    >>scribed into the ether:
    >>
    >>Either. I want to avoid the alignment hit, so I don't do it myself. A large
    >>dog/cat isn't good enough by itself to do this, so I need to either wait
    >>until I find a healing spellbook, or until I can tame/poly for a beefier
    >>pet.
    >>
    >>>On the way back up your pet should be able to handle the
    >>>regular watchmen just fine so a bit of pet dancing to
    >>>wear the watch captain down a bit tends to work.
    >>
    >>Regular watchmen are cold meat to a large cat/dog. The captain is a lot
    >>trickier.
    >
    > Use two fully developed large pets at once.
    >
    > Or, and be aware I haven't tried this, soften up the captain
    >first yourself, then let your pet perform the coup de gras.
    >A stethoscope would probably help a lot.
    >

    > (If you soften up a peaceful, then lead it into a trap that
    >kills it, do you get the blame?)

    What if it's a bear trap you set?

    A ring of conflict could help, too. (Lock your pet up in
    a room by itself.)

    Maneuver the captain between yourself and any hostile monsters
    with ranged attacks that come by. Having reflection and poison
    resistance would be a good idea.

    If no hostile monsters with ranged attacks come by, make some.
    Drop a wand of magic missile or cold/fire/lightning/death for
    a gnome to use. Be sure you have reflection first.

    --
    All the best,

    Jove
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jove wrote:
    > Matt Frisch wrote:
    > > Doug Freyburger wrote:
    >
    > > I want to avoid the alignment hit, so I don't do it myself ...

    The alignment is easily repaired. Non-chaotics losing
    telepathy takes more work. Incautious characters dying
    takes considerably more work.

    > >>On the way back up your pet should be able to handle the
    > >>regular watchmen just fine so a bit of pet dancing to
    > >>wear the watch captain down a bit tends to work.
    >
    > >Regular watchmen are cold meat to a large cat/dog. The captain is a lot
    > >trickier.

    I've lost pets who got in between a regular watchman and
    the watch captain and then didn't focus on just one.
    The captain's better weapon makes a big difference in
    killing your pet.

    > Use two fully developed large pets at once.
    >
    > Or, and be aware I haven't tried this, soften up the captain
    > first yourself, then let your pet perform the coup de gras.
    > A stethoscope would probably help a lot.
    >
    > (If you soften up a peaceful, then lead it into a trap that
    > kills it, do you get the blame?)

    Getting the captain to get stuck in a bear trap would make
    killing him much easier. Set trap out of sight, dance captain
    into trap, start throwing missiles. Prep stacks of rocks in
    the vicinity before setting the trap. Similar to using the
    altar as a leash when going after the priest in the shrine.
    next time I'm returning from mines end I'll try this and see
    if the watch captain knows traps not in the original level.
    Bear traps work so well in Ludios, may as well use them
    elsewhere.

Games Video Games