Hello!

I'm moving my "base camp" from Dlvl 7 to Dlvl 13. I know I should be patient
and do it slowly. But I feel safe. (Cue soundtrack of dooooom.) I'm very
fast and very well kitted out for my Dlvl (AC -24). Here's what I want to
know: can you safely go down staircases while Overtaxed? Where "safely"
means no instadeath, lose fewer than 100 HP to the fall. I have no
footrices.

Cheers!
Ben

Ben Kimball wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm moving my "base camp" from Dlvl 7 to Dlvl 13. I know I should be patient
> and do it slowly. But I feel safe. (Cue soundtrack of dooooom.) I'm very
> fast and very well kitted out for my Dlvl (AC -24). Here's what I want to
> know: can you safely go down staircases while Overtaxed? Where "safely"
> means no instadeath, lose fewer than 100 HP to the fall. I have no
> footrices.

Don't do it. Just... don't. Seriously. Burdened you might well get away
with if you're well kitted out, but overtaxed is just begging for YASD.
You'll be bitten 30 times by a sewer rat or something and killed before
you can even think about hitting back, or dropping your gear.

Make two trips. Make three. It ain't so bad. Or get yourslf a means of
controlled levelport. At the very least, take a wand of digging and
make your descent the quick way, thus reducing the chances of running
into something hostile.

Ben Kimball wrote:

> Here's what I want to
> know: can you safely go down staircases while Overtaxed? Where "safely"
> means no instadeath, lose fewer than 100 HP to the fall.

In general you can't go from room to room while Overtaxed
without risk of getting killed by a random monster. You
can't fight while Overtaxed and you're extremely slow.
Fungus can't keep up with you but nearly every other
monster in the dungeon can pile on you long before you
can react.

It won't be an instrakill, though. You will need to type
a hunred spaces before you die.

Ben Kimball wrote:
> Here's what I want to
> know: can you safely go down staircases while Overtaxed? Where "safely"
> means no instadeath, lose fewer than 100 HP to the fall. I have no
> footrices.

To actually answer your question... falling down stairs (or down a
hole) while overtaxed won't do anywhere near 100HP of damage. I'm not a
source diver mind, and I could be completly and utterly wrong, but
yeah, I'm 99.8% sure that you won't die from falling down the stairs if
you start your fall with 100HP.

But don't do it. Just don't. Really. Please.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> Ben Kimball wrote:

>> Here's what I want to
>> know: can you safely go down staircases while Overtaxed? Where "safely"
>> means no instadeath, lose fewer than 100 HP to the fall. I have no
>> footrices.

> To actually answer your question... falling down stairs (or down a
> hole) while overtaxed won't do anywhere near 100HP of damage. I'm not a
> source diver mind, and I could be completly and utterly wrong, but
> yeah, I'm 99.8% sure that you won't die from falling down the stairs if
> you start your fall with 100HP.
>
> But don't do it. Just don't. Really. Please.

Well, I did. And lived. But I accept that it was a dumb thing to do. What
made me happy was learning that if I dropped the heavy box on the downstair
enough times, eventually the box would fall through to the next level. This
saved me the tedium of opening, removing items, going down, dropping them,
going up, and repeating.

Didn't even think of digging. Sigh.

Still going strong with this wizard!

Cheers,
Ben

On 7 Sep 2005 16:16:00 -0700, dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

>Ben Kimball wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I'm moving my "base camp" from Dlvl 7 to Dlvl 13. I know I should be patient
>> and do it slowly. But I feel safe. (Cue soundtrack of dooooom.) I'm very
>> fast and very well kitted out for my Dlvl (AC -24). Here's what I want to
>> know: can you safely go down staircases while Overtaxed? Where "safely"
>> means no instadeath, lose fewer than 100 HP to the fall. I have no
>> footrices.
>
>Don't do it. Just... don't. Seriously. Burdened you might well get away
>with if you're well kitted out, but overtaxed is just begging for YASD.
>You'll be bitten 30 times by a sewer rat or something and killed before
>you can even think about hitting back, or dropping your gear.

What dogscoff said is entirely to my line of thinking.

Stressed I have done, but carefully. Walking from up to
downstairs on levels where the stairs are close together.

Digging a hole by the upstairs on levels where the stairs
are far apart.

And moving a stash six dungeon levels is not far at all. Do
you know the move '_' command? And the shortcuts?

Normal movement keys yuhjklbn move your destination one space.

Uppercase movement keys move your destination ten spaces.
(It should be 10 spaces horizontally and 3 vertically, imho.
Why is left as an exercise for the reader. :)

'<' to set the upstairs as your destination

'>' to set the downstairs as your destination

'^' cycles through setting known traps/portals on the
level as your destination

'_' to set an altar as your destination.

For '<', '>', and '_', if there is more than one such structure
known and visible on the level, the shortcut key cycles through
them.

>Make two trips. Make three. It ain't so bad. Or get yourslf a means of
>controlled levelport. At the very least, take a wand of digging and
>make your descent the quick way, thus reducing the chances of running
>into something hostile.

Or use a pickaxe.

Better yet, learn what's heavy and what's important and figure
out the benefit/weight ratio for each item. Learn to leave
things behind. (I'm told it can be done. ;-)

(I've never been killed by a nurse while stressing to carry
a heavy corpse to an altar. Not me! ;^)

--
All the best,

Jove

On 8 Sep 2005 08:29:43 -0700, "Doug Freyburger"
<dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Ben Kimball wrote:
>>
>> Here's what I want to
>> know: can you safely go down staircases while Overtaxed? Where "safely"
>> means no instadeath, lose fewer than 100 HP to the fall.
>
>In general you can't go from room to room while Overtaxed
>without risk of getting killed by a random monster. You
>can't fight while Overtaxed and you're extremely slow.
>Fungus can't keep up with you but nearly every other
>monster in the dungeon can pile on you long before you
>can react.

I think Overtaxed also abuses Str and Con, and causes Hp
damage just from moving. Among the few things you can do
while Overtaxed are #pray, move, #offer, and drop.

>It won't be an instrakill, though. You will need to type
>a hunred spaces before you die.

Not understood.

--
All the best,

Jove

Jove wrote:
> On 8 Sep 2005 08:29:43 -0700, "Doug Freyburger"
> <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Ben Kimball wrote:
> >It won't be an instrakill, though. You will need to type
> >a hunred spaces before you die.
>
> Not understood.

You pick up the chest named "Stash of extreme heaviness"
you can barely move under this load!
Move in which direction?
You are hit by a crude dagger --more--
The goblin hits --more--
the goblin misses --more--
the newt bites --more--
the little dog misses the newt --more--
the newt bites the little dog --more--
you hear someone counting money --more--
the goblin hits --more--
the jackal bites --more--
the little dog bites the newt --more--
the newt is killed --more--
the little dog eats a newt corpse --more--
the goblin hits --more--
you hear crashing rock --more--
the goblin misses --more--
you see a door open --more--
the hobbit throws an elven dagger --more--
the dagger slips as the hobbit throws it --more--
the goblin hits --more--
the hobbit picks up a worthless piece of green glass --more--
the hobbit picks up a crude short sword --more--
the hobbit wields a crude short sword --more--
the crude short sword welds itself to the hobbit's hand! --more--
the goblin misses --more--
the little dog bites the kitten --more--
the kitten bites the little dog --more--
you hear someone counting money --more--
the kitten bites! --more--
the hobbit misses --more--
and so on, for what seems like a hundred --more-- space bar hits.

Trust me, I've been there.

Ben Kimball wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>
> > Ben Kimball wrote:
>
> >> [Moving a stash down several levels while overtaxed]
> > But don't do it. Just don't. Really. Please.
>
> Well, I did. And lived. But I accept that it was a dumb thing to do. What
> made me happy was learning that if I dropped the heavy box on the downstair
> enough times, eventually the box would fall through to the next level. This
> saved me the tedium of opening, removing items, going down, dropping them,
> going up, and repeating.

Yeah, that works. Did you hear any "muffled crashes"? That would be
your potions, glass/crystal wands and other breakables. Be sure to move
them seperately.

> Still going strong with this wizard!

Well, good luck with it. You've cheated the dread lord YASD now though,
so you'll have to be on your best behaviour from here on in.

In article <g8a1i1hq3mv4qgbb5pe4ofgs44j8bnrlsl@4ax.com>, Jove
<invalid@invalid.invalid> says...
> (I've never been killed by a nurse while stressing to carry
> a heavy corpse to an altar. Not me! ;^)

Shove it in your b(BoH while moving. If you can pick it up, you won't be
stressed with it in your bag. I think, anyway. May be helpful to drop the
bag and #loot it.

Some corpses can be picked up but leave you overtaxed, so you can't #loot
or #apply. These should perhaps be left.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
> Ben Kimball wrote:
>
> > ... can you safely go down staircases while Overtaxed? Where "safely"
> > means no instadeath, lose fewer than 100 HP to the fall. I have no
> > footrices.
>
> Don't do it. Just... don't. Seriously. Burdened you might well get away
> with if you're well kitted out, but overtaxed is just begging for YASD.
> You'll be bitten 30 times by a sewer rat or something and killed before
> you can even think about hitting back, or dropping your gear.
>
> Make two trips. Make three. It ain't so bad. Or get yourslf a means of
> controlled levelport. At the very least, take a wand of digging and
> make your descent the quick way, thus reducing the chances of running
> into something hostile.

Alternative to digging: teleport. Note that if you attempt
to teleport while Overtaxed "Your concentration falters" but
if you attempt to teleport while Strained or less it works.
Teleport or not, be sure to include food in your cargo and
the lower the category of weight stess the better.

Wizard quest artifact the Eye of Misspelling opens a portal
to the bottom level of any branch you have visited. If you
are moving your cache to minetown note that Burdened or not
you can climb stairs, Stressed or worse you can't climb
stairs.

dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> Ben Kimball wrote:
>
>> Still going strong with this wizard!
>
> Well, good luck with it. You've cheated the dread lord YASD now though,
> so you'll have to be on your best behaviour from here on in.

Heh. No kidding. Feels like the Dread Lord isn't paying me any attention.
It's a very paranoid sort of feeling, too.

Finished clearing Ludios... never lost more than 10 of my 140+ hp. AC now at
-30. This game is going *too* well. Look for a YASD in the next 30 minutes.
(To be fair, I did have one little scare; I was hungry in the treasure zoo
in Ludios, decided to eat. Hit 'e'. There is a cockatrice corpse here, do
you want to eat it? Was almost going too fast, but I caught myself in time.
Phew.) =/

Cheers!
Ben

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:35:14 GMT, Andrew Kerr
<andykerr@SPAMGUARD.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <g8a1i1hq3mv4qgbb5pe4ofgs44j8bnrlsl@4ax.com>, Jove
><invalid@invalid.invalid> says...
>> (I've never been killed by a nurse while stressing to carry
>> a heavy corpse to an altar. Not me! ;^)
>>
>Shove it in your b(BoH while moving. If you can pick it up, you won't be
>stressed with it in your bag. I think, anyway. May be helpful to drop the
>bag and #loot it.

Excellent suggestion.

>Some corpses can be picked up but leave you overtaxed, so you can't #loot
>or #apply. These should perhaps be left.

Or eaten/tinned. Good advice, still.

--
All the best,

Jove

On 9 Sep 2005 01:01:50 -0700, dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

>Jove wrote:
>> On 8 Sep 2005 08:29:43 -0700, "Doug Freyburger"
>> <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >Ben Kimball wrote:
>> >It won't be an instrakill, though. You will need to type
>> >a hunred spaces before you die.
>>
>> Not understood.
>
>You pick up the chest named "Stash of extreme heaviness"
>you can barely move under this load!
>Move in which direction?
>You are hit by a crude dagger --more--
>The goblin hits --more--
>the goblin misses --more--
>the newt bites --more--
>the little dog misses the newt --more--
>the newt bites the little dog --more--
>you hear someone counting money --more--
>the goblin hits --more--
>the jackal bites --more--
>the little dog bites the newt --more--
>the newt is killed --more--
>the little dog eats a newt corpse --more--
>the goblin hits --more--
>you hear crashing rock --more--
>the goblin misses --more--
>you see a door open --more--
>the hobbit throws an elven dagger --more--
>the dagger slips as the hobbit throws it --more--
>the goblin hits --more--
>the hobbit picks up a worthless piece of green glass --more--
>the hobbit picks up a crude short sword --more--
>the hobbit wields a crude short sword --more--
>the crude short sword welds itself to the hobbit's hand! --more--
>the goblin misses --more--
>the little dog bites the kitten --more--
>the kitten bites the little dog --more--
>you hear someone counting money --more--
>the kitten bites! --more--
>the hobbit misses --more--
>and so on, for what seems like a hundred --more-- space bar hits.
>
>Trust me, I've been there.

Now I get it. (And have gotten it, too. :)

--
All the best,

Jove

Jove wrote:

> And moving a stash six dungeon levels is not far at all. Do
> you know the move '_' command? And the shortcuts?

Oh my. It's exactly this sort of jawdroppingly useful information that makes
me wonder why I didn't spend more time with the help command. Sigh.

Cheers!
Ben

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 15:12:56 -0500, Ben Kimball
<zubin@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:

>Jove wrote:
>
>> And moving a stash six dungeon levels is not far at all. Do
>> you know the move '_' command? And the shortcuts?
>
>Oh my. It's exactly this sort of jawdroppingly useful information

Glad to help! :-D (Jes' a big ol' hearty grin o' joy.)

It is a thing of beauty, isn't it? Kudos to the designer/
implementor. (Except for not moving vertically by threes.
I did a quick program to try it and it manages to be a nice
tweak even on top of the already fine work.)

A good trick to use with that is if you want to go someplace
that's not a landmark, use the shortcuts to go to the nearest
landmark, then move to your intended destination.

>that makes me wonder why I didn't spend more time with the
>help command. Sigh.

Because the help command is for help, not learning new
commands. Even the Guidebook is like that.

And because you can only learn so much at one time, then you
need to use it for a while.

If you'd seen this when your first started, it probably
wouldn't have meant anything to you.

You want more fun? Controlled teleport uses the *same*
shortcuts. Add teleportitis, magic mapping and detect treasure
(or potion of object detection) and you can finish off a level in
under well under 50 moves, and 50 keystrokes.

I've often thought there should be a permanent thread called
Nethack Tip of the Day, or maybe of the Week.

One post per stated interval with an interface tip.
(With discussions permitted.)

Like my favorite: #adjust your inventory letters

'w' - your primary wielded weapon
'Q' - quivered ammo
'x' - secondary weapon
'a' - pickaxe/mattock ('aa' then both wields and prompts for
digging direction.)
't' - secondary thrown weapons (rocks, harmful potions, etc.)
'Z' - lizard corpse

NB autoquiver starts looking for quiverable weapons (not rocks)
in a-zA-Z order. Set your second stack of daggers to R. Other
daggers in order in the range S-Y.

Oh, and Ben? Your homework assignment is to find and report
on the shortcut keys I forgot^W left as an exercise for the
student. ;-)

All the best,

Jove

--
"I don't think you actually meant to condemn such practices,
which are probably those of any professional user. But the words