large tiles in Linux/KDE/QT NetHack???

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

I've found myself nethacking under Linux these
days (yay for me), and cannot seem to find the
trick to using a large tile set, sort of
important for me since my eyes aren't that good
any more. I find myself swapping back and forth
between the text version, for legibility, and
the QT version, for ease of use (no "--MORE--"
prompt when credit cloning, mostly). What I'd
_really_ like to do is use some big (say, 64x64)
version of the Absurd Tile set.

I can put it (the tile file to use and matching
tile size indications) into the options of my
..nethackrc (the Linux version of the MS-Windows'
defaults.nh file), spelled correctly, and the
QT version buys parsing the OPTION line, but
silently ignores it anyway.

I know the QT version _reads_ and understands
that line, because I was able to switch to a
crisper 16x16 tile set using it, but I'd like
bigger tiles.

Can anyone help, or suggest, with URL, another
Linux/KDE-compatible NetHack distro (RPM or tgz
is fine) that _will_ support use of large tiles?

xanthian.

Andrew Kerr wrote:
> I assume you changed both the tile filname and the tile size in .nethackrc?
> Similar to:
> OPTIONS=tile_file:tiles32.bmp, tile_width:32, tile_height:32

Yep, pretty much copied the line from my defaults.nh under MS-Windows,
and corrected the file names. No joy.

If someone can confirm that the Debian/KDE/QT distro _does_ work for
large tiles, I'll go back and try harder, but so far, it seems not
to be possible with the stuff I've tried.

xanthian.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

In article <1126135343.533045.14400@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, Kent
Paul Dolan <xanthian@well.com> says...
> I can put it (the tile file to use and matching
> tile size indications) into the options of my
> .nethackrc (the Linux version of the MS-Windows'
> defaults.nh file), spelled correctly, and the
> QT version buys parsing the OPTION line, but
> silently ignores it anyway.
>
> I know the QT version _reads_ and understands
> that line, because I was able to switch to a
> crisper 16x16 tile set using it, but I'd like
> bigger tiles.

I assume you changed both the tile filname and the tile size in .nethackrc?
Similar to:
OPTIONS=tile_file:tiles32.bmp, tile_width:32, tile_height:32

As for another windowing system - there's a GTK2 port, although it's still
in beta.

http://gtk2hack.sourceforge.net/

Kent Paul Dolan wrote:
> [something or other]

Welcome back Xanthian, it's been months since you last posted here. I
have to say I was getting a little worried.

[No email replies, please.]

Kent Paul Dolan wrote:
> Andrew Kerr wrote:
>> I assume you changed both the tile filname and the tile size in
>> .nethackrc? Similar to:
>> OPTIONS=tile_file:tiles32.bmp, tile_width:32, tile_height:32
>
> Yep, pretty much copied the line from my defaults.nh under MS-Windows,
> and corrected the file names. No joy.
>
> If someone can confirm that the Debian/KDE/QT distro _does_ work for
> large tiles, I'll go back and try harder, but so far, it seems not
> to be possible with the stuff I've tried.

The routine which handles "OPTIONS=..." has some Qt-specific
code which recogniizes configuration values named "QT_TILEWIDTH",
"QT_TILEHEIGHT", "QT_FONTSIZE", and "QT_COMPACT". I don't know
how to use those, but you'd specify them each on its own line
(followed by '=' or ":' and the desired value) without including
any "OPTIONS=" prefix on that line.

Kent Paul Dolan wrote:

> Can anyone help, or suggest, with URL, another
> Linux/KDE-compatible NetHack distro (RPM or tgz
> is fine) that _will_ support use of large tiles?

I'm running a Unix version -- specifically, Mac OS X Qt -- and use
large tiles. The only way I get them to display properly is by
including the lines

Qt_TileHeight=64
Qt_TileWidth=64

in my 'NetHack Defaults' file, where '64' can be your tile-size of
choice. I have never gotten those settings to work in OPTIONS or any
other environment variable.

I know you aren't running this version. But I'm thinking that if you
include those lines in your equivalent of the 'NetHack Defaults' file,
you might have success.

--
Bobby Schmidt

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack,misc.misc (More info?)

Thaks to Paul and Bobby for the Qt_Tile* trick; I'll try
that tonight and see if it helps, since one of the now
four versions of NetHack I have installed is a Qt one.

Strangely enough, I find that I tend to start the game
in text mode, save and switch to GUI mode (the xnethack
version) when I find a shop, to avoid the text version's
constant "more" prompts, then switch back when dealing
with the teensy tiles gets too obnoxious.

To make this work, I symlinked the save, record, and log(?)
parts of each implementation to be really the same
directory/file; luckily the four versions are save file
compatible among them.

I'm trying to figure out how to build the Linux version,
but it isn't coming easily.

xanthian.