YANITWNBI - going INSIDE the bag of holding

Yet another Neat Idea that will never be implemented ('cause it's a
terrible programming job):

This is based on the most excellent strip "Knights of the Dinner Table"
which formerly appeared in Shadis and Dragon and is now put out by
Kenzerco.
http://www.kenzerco.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16732

If you like D&D or related fantasy role-playing, you're missing out if
you're not following the often-silly adventures of Brian, Bob, Dave,
and Sarah as they scheme once again to outwit their easily-duped GM,
B.A., playing a game that bears more than a passing resemblance to D&D.

Anyways, everyone knows that bags of holding are an alternate
dimension, right?

Well, it turns out that in Hackmaster ALL bags of holding go to the
same dimension. In fact, it is possible with proper magical
preparation to navigate Bagworld BETWEEN bags of holding, entering one
bag and coming out another. This is no mean feat, as Bagworld is nearly
unnavigable, but it IS possible.

This has given rise to the profession of "Bag Raider", wherein parties
of adventurers will enter Bagworld through a Bag of Holding, then scour
the world looking for other loot in other people's bags of holding.
>From their perspective there's all this loot in Bagworld, just sitting
around for the taking.

Of course, not everyone is unaware of this gambit. So some folks have
taken to hiring mercenaries to enter their bags of holding and stand
guard over their loot.

Care must be taken. Our brave party had taken to storing an entire
spellbook library and a warehouse of provisions, food, equipment in
their collective bags of holding and had put hirelings in the bag with
the permanent job of categorizing and inventorying all the stuff there.
Unfortunately they forgot about them... when they realized their
mistake, they entered the bag only to find their hirelings had built a
fortress with all their stuff on the inside. All the loot saved up for
years of game time was now stored in the castle and used against them
in their attempts to recover their property from their hirelings, who
had been surviving off their stored food and by raiding other bagzones.

So what bizarre effects could this have on Nethack play?

Well ....

* Possibility of finding something in the bag of holding that wasn't
there before (dropped by raider)

* Possibility of losing something stored in bag (stolen by raiders)

* Possibility of ENTERING bag and entire new dungeon branch --
bagworld, with monsters and treasure.

* Possible quest -- bag raiders are on the loose in bagworld, and
they've stolen your stuff! To solve the problem, you must enter bag
world, track the looters to their lair, and defeat them.

* New tool for navigating bag world -- bag-compass, or something like?
In the story, the characters found their way by giving the rebels a
gift containing a "finding" charm built in, which they could then use
as a bearing when entering through another BoH.

*New Instadeath -- lost in bagworld forever, starve to death, unable to
find way out.

* New traveling mode -- step into 1 bag, step out of another somewhere
else

*BANG!*

That sound was various programmers putting guns to their heads at the
thought of all the work this would entail ... a full new major release,
yes?

So it won't happen.

Still fun to think about though.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

You step into the bag of holding-more-
Your wand of cancellation vibrates uncontrollably!-more-
*oh, sh-*
Your wand of cancellation explodes!-more-
The dimensional warp tears your body into a million pieces!-more-
You die -- but wait! your medallion begins to glow... -more-
You are still in a million pieces-more-
You die...
DYWYPI?

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

On 09/08/05 11:36 AM, pendell@hotmail.com wrote:

> *New Instadeath -- lost in bagworld forever, starve to death, unable to
> find way out.

How about this: accidentally bring a second bag of holding with you when
you enter the first bag... :-D

--
Chris "Bob" Odorjan - bobnet@canada.com
BobNET - http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/

pendell@hotmail.com wrote in news:1126215508.580139.22370
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> You die -- but wait! your medallion begins to glow... -more-
> You are still in a million pieces-more-
> You die...
> DYWYPI?
>
> Tongue-in-cheek,

Yeah, I know it's tongue-in-cheek but since the "oLS saves people from
nearly everything, barring brainlessness, including a black dragon's
disintegration breath.

I still maintain that it should be a broken manouver to destroy two bags of
holding, nestling them like Russian dolls, and opening a rift to the astral
plane just like in that pen and paper roleplaying game with a fantasy
theme.

Haakon Studebaker <heptapod@gmail.com> wrote:
> pendell@hotmail.com wrote in news:1126215508.580139.22370
> @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
>> You die -- but wait! your medallion begins to glow... -more-
>> You are still in a million pieces-more-
>> You die...
>> DYWYPI?
>>
>> Tongue-in-cheek,
>
> Yeah, I know it's tongue-in-cheek but since the "oLS saves people from
> nearly everything, barring brainlessness, including a black dragon's
> disintegration breath.
>
> I still maintain that it should be a broken manouver to destroy two
> bags of holding, nestling them like Russian dolls, and opening a rift
> to the astral plane just like in that pen and paper roleplaying game
> with a fantasy theme.

+ it would take away the Ascension Run if that worked. Double-bag
yourself, *bamf* (not healthy, wear "oLS)to Astral.

Keith

I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.games.roguelike.nethack when
Haakon Studebaker got out a spraycan and scrawled the following:
> pendell@hotmail.com wrote in news:1126215508.580139.22370
> @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > You die -- but wait! your medallion begins to glow... -more-
> > You are still in a million pieces-more-
> > You die...
> > DYWYPI?
> >
> > Tongue-in-cheek,
>
> Yeah, I know it's tongue-in-cheek but since the "oLS saves people from
> nearly everything, barring brainlessness, including a black dragon's
> disintegration breath.

The results would probably be similar to trying to teleport to level 0
while wearing an "oLS.

Go to Nowhere. Are you sure?
You writhe in agony as your body begins to warp...
You cease to exist.
Your possessions land on the ground with a thud.
But wait!...
An energized cloud of dust begins to coalesce.
Your body rematerializes, and you gather up all your possessions.

--
Glyn Kennington - remove caps from email address to reply

Lester

I thought that the Jackson files were very specific about there being
both type A and type B mega-capacity items... er, not that the Jackson
files actually exist. *Ahem*.